07. The Prisoner [live]
08. Killers [live]
09. Still Life [live]

Top 20 albums of 1988: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 13
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Producerd & mixing by Martin Birch.
Engineering by Martin Birch, Ronald Prent, Albert Boekholt & Stephane Wissner.
Mastering by George Marino.
Cover art & photography by Derek Riggs, Rod Smallwood & Ross Halfin.

Album is based on the novel Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
Among Iron Maiden's studio albums 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' to me is the second best. It has the most famous songs of the band on one album. Of most albums you might know (if you're not a fan!) two or three songs, this album contains at least 6 songs that you should know, if not you have never lived.

Read more ››
published 24.12.2003 | Comments (25)

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
You're probably wondering why I wrote a review of an almost twenty year old album; the answer is quite simple: because it is my absolute favourite album and one of the best Heavy-Metal-albums of all time. "Seventh Son..." was the last album that was recorded with Adrian Smith until 2000's "Brave New World." It's a concept album telling the story of a gifted child, a so called "seventh son of a seventh son," and how his gift carries with it many burdens and problems. The concept itself is not what carries the album but it adds a different touch to the lyrics and surely the music as well.

Read more ››
published 12.05.2007 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
tominator
Rating:
What is there to say about Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son? It's my absolute favourite album ever made. In fact, it's the only album I personally consider flawless.

Read more ››
published 18.12.2016 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Seeing the 80s and the band's golden era out, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is a high note to go out on. The band took a tighter embrace of their progressive tendencies but managed to balance this with their pennant for creating catchy tunes like they had for the decade up until then. Iron Maiden find a golden ratio that they have spent much of the rest of their career trying to replicate.

Read more ››
published 30.05.2020 | Comments (1)

Found in 160 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 63   Visited by: 2255 users
22.04.2011 - 14:29
Rating: 6
rise447

Iron Maiden tried to make an album of epic tracks and ballads.
I think it failed, it's just not their type of music.
22.04.2011 - 15:48
RavenKing

Written by rise447 on 22.04.2011 at 14:29

Sure, they failed with this album. We all know everything post-SSOASS is immensely superior to 80s Maiden.
And, of course, Virtual XI is more their type of music.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.04.2011 - 16:09
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is the only Maiden album I ever really got into. I like the epic feel and the "grandeur" approach, which you probably wouldn't expect from me...

Now that I think of it I really have no idea why I have such an attachment to this album. It's not even a matter of nostalgia.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.04.2011 - 16:33
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.04.2011 at 16:09

Now that I think of it I really have no idea why I have such an attachment to this album. It's not even a matter of nostalgia.

In this case, I would say that qualitative music is qualitative music.
I'm really not into this stuff at all nowadays (traditional Heavy Metal) but I can't deny that this album is quite good. And I would say the same about any album Maiden released in the 80s.

I have a feeling kinda similar for "The Crimson Idol". I don't listen to any other WASP album nowadays but I still like TCI very much.
----
22.04.2011 - 22:44
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, they failed with this album. We all know everything post-SSOASS is immensely superior to 80s Maiden.
And, of course, Virtual XI is more their type of music.

EPIC!

Seriously tho, I like the album but I really dig their earlier stuff more. Maybe this release was a little over the top, at least for me.
----
rekt
23.04.2011 - 09:51
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'd actually put this as the second weakest of Maiden's 80's output, ahead of NOTB but below all the others. Of course, it still ranks among the best metal albums ever; it's classic Maiden. It's just slightly watered down, and slightly 'fluffier' than their previous efforts-Damn good for what it is, but I prefer speedfests like Caught Somewhere In Time and Aces High.
10.05.2011 - 22:29
antonio2

I listen to it every day!
30.06.2011 - 19:53
sandra2

Iron Maiden are my favorite band IMO.
26.07.2011 - 02:54
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Maiden's best and most consistent album. It only has one song that isn't great as the others, The Prophecy. The rest are untouchable.
09.08.2011 - 09:29
Rating: 5
Kuroboshi

Written by rise447 on 22.04.2011 at 14:29

I agree. And no, Virtual XI etc. are really not their style, as well. This album starts out really weak, but picks up pace late on: there are some really sweet moments on "the Clairvoyant" and the title track. Otherwise, it's so "goody-goody". Can't stand it.
09.08.2011 - 09:41
Rating: 10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Goody-goody? Yes indeed, its damn goody-goody!
28.08.2011 - 16:56
kokina2

I like it!
18.09.2011 - 05:35
merkuri

This is one my favorites.
01.01.2012 - 16:52
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
A masterpice, ten times better than The Number Of The Beast!
12.02.2012 - 14:02
musicalkaratekid

Either this or 'Powerslave' is definitely my favourite IM album. This one simply because every song is memorable, it holds ultimately bewildering epics like the title track and the opener and closer 'Moonchild' and 'Only the good die young'. Some may be cynical about the way the band used the synthesisers on this album, but for me they only enhanced the intense atmosphere that the other instruments created. Some may also argue that 'TNOTB' fares better, but for me, this album is the one that took IM to a different world.
13.04.2012 - 22:54
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 22.04.2011 at 15:48

everything post-SSOASS is immensely superior to 80s Maiden.

This is a joke, right?
14.04.2012 - 00:28
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 22:54

This is a joke, right?

It was sarcasm, of course.
I thought it was quite obvious.
----
14.04.2012 - 17:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Yaniv on 07.03.2012 at 15:24

A great masterpiece, great concept, so enjoyable to the ears.
Unfortunately, this is the last perfect score album they made.

Brave New World is pretty close for me. Damn near a 10. Everything else after SSOASS is meh.
----
rekt
14.04.2012 - 19:39
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 14.04.2012 at 00:28

Written by Guest on 13.04.2012 at 22:54

This is a joke, right?

It was sarcasm, of course.
I thought it was quite obvious.

Haha, just kidding The Maiden fans would have jumped headlong into you
04.05.2012 - 08:21
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Best Maiden album hands down.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
29.06.2012 - 02:29
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The guitar harmonies are beautiful, particularly on Moonchild.
20.08.2012 - 23:26
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
My only problem with most of Iron Maiden's stuff after the first two albums is Bruce Dickinson. Imagine, if you will, that one of the guitars was not tuned properly, and continued to hit every note a little too flat for a good portion of the track.

Vocals are the instrument of the voice, when used they make a huge impact on the overall sound of each song. Bruce, with his faux-operatic style and forced vibrato, seems to put to much pressure and coercion on his voice, and ends up being off-key very often because of it. If Paul Di'Anno didn't get his ass kicked out, he would've made this album twice as good as it already is. Unfortunately, while I do enjoy this CD, I still get put off by that forced vibrato and all the flat notes.

I think my favorite part of this album is that it was inspired by none other than one of my favorite book series by Orson Scott Card: the Alvin Maker series. First book is Seventh Son, and I believe that the second Red Prophet is my favorite of the series. Some badass historical fiction makes for a pretty cool source of inspiration, I guess.
----
21.08.2012 - 01:42
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Jaeryd on 20.08.2012 at 23:26

My only problem with most of Iron Maiden's stuff after the first two albums is Bruce Dickinson. Imagine, if you will, that one of the guitars was not tuned properly, and continued to hit every note a little too flat for a good portion of the track.

Vocals are the instrument of the voice, when used they make a huge impact on the overall sound of each song. Bruce, with his faux-operatic style and forced vibrato, seems to put to much pressure and coercion on his voice, and ends up being off-key very often because of it. If Paul Di'Anno didn't get his ass kicked out, he would've made this album twice as good as it already is. Unfortunately, while I do enjoy this CD, I still get put off by that forced vibrato and all the flat notes.

Can't say I've ever heard an opinion quite like this......Also, couldn't disagree more...Paully wouldda sounded so outta place, here. He was the right fit on the fist 2, for sure, though
21.08.2012 - 02:27
Rating: 9
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The most important fact is, that without Bruce this album won't even exist in such a shape, as Bruce helps with writing half of the stuff...and not talking about another fact, that Maiden with Paul will obviously have a waaaay different fate...so this discussion is kinda abstract and pointless
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.10.2012 - 15:29
LordHypnos
Account deleted
One of Maiden's best albums, however I prefer Somewhere In Time.
31.10.2012 - 05:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I realize it's viewed as some kind of metal blasphemy to play tracks in different orders from albums, but I was listening to some mp3's from this album and the combo of "Only the Good Die Young" straight into "The Evil That Men Do" was quite awesome. Evil might just be my favorite Maiden song ever, and the first song that really got me hooked onto them.
12.11.2012 - 21:27
Rating: 9
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
One of Maiden's classics. Definitely among my favorites the band has released, every song is gold.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
26.02.2013 - 01:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This album opens whit good song I like that song, IMO most heavyer in that album, I realy love it , but when I listen it I know if next one would be(even I know what came after) like this than Maiden has no future, well maybe ''sexy'' 80's shorthaired punkish chick in mini skirt and stockings could like it what is sortha cool pop diva, but still, time late 80's seems agan music inusdustry and marketing made them wrote such album.... I dont say its bad, still its 80's and good HM, but ...... is it perfect?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.02.2013 - 19:28
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Bad English on 26.02.2013 at 01:28

its 80's and good HM, but ...... is it perfect?

Yes, it pretty much is.
28.02.2013 - 18:35
Aristarchos

My favourite album ever. Has a perfect balance between melody, complexity (without over-playing) and a dark atmosphere (without over-using keyboards).

Hits total: 46837 | This month: 116