Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
22.10.2006 - 02:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
oh god.....this news ruined my day. I also looked at the Wikipedia article and I don't like this lineup at all.
22.10.2006 - 03:18
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Vinnie could have easily come up with a far interesting line up than this one, excluding Chad who I consider to be a great pick as I said before. I did some Google search and I found this information at Blabbermouth (the only that seemed to say a little more than the rest). Here is the motherfucking link:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=56378
----
Christless
22.10.2006 - 03:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Thanks for the motherfucking link

I still think they need two different guitarists.
22.10.2006 - 08:03
Winter Death
Account deleted
Get Wylde to fill in one of those spots. That makes more sense than the fucking guy from mudvayne.
22.10.2006 - 16:53
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Yeah, I agree with both of you. Wylde could have been a good pick and considering that he was a great friend of Dime and I think he was kind of close to Vinnie too he must have possibly been available. The problem with Greg is his rhythmic guitar playing which grows old quickly and what seems to be lack of talent, at least in what he has displayed in the band. One can only hope is too be surprised and proven wrong, or at least that is what I hope.
----
Christless
22.10.2006 - 21:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Who the fuck are those guys from that line-up? I really hope they wont call themselves Pantera.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.10.2006 - 21:58
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Vinnie would never call the new band as that; he didn't do it when he formed Damageplan and I doubt that he will do it now specially when Dimebag is not anymore.
----
Christless
22.10.2006 - 22:23
Baz Anderson

i used to be a fan of Mudvayne, but then - i dont know - i just stopped listening to them for some reason
so i am kinda hoping that this is going to be good!

i enjoyed Damageplan so i am hoping i am going to enjoy this as well
22.10.2006 - 22:39
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Mudvayne's first album was pretty good but what kept it from being even greater was the guitar playing there and Greg is one of the people that is being brought from Mudvayne to this new project. After L.D. 50 it all started to go downhill towards the very generic "Lost and Found".
----
Christless
23.10.2006 - 06:10
Winter Death
Account deleted
Vinnie is going from playing with one of the greatest metal musicians ever (Dimebag) to playing with Greg from Mudvayne. I just can't see anything productive coming out of this...
23.10.2006 - 07:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Yeah, I can't either. Both of the bands Vinnie has been in have had a southern rock feel and I think I will cry if they sound anything like Nothingface or Mudvayne...
24.10.2006 - 05:39
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
hmmm i now am feeling quite sick in the guts...
24.10.2006 - 06:01
Winter Death
Account deleted
So I checked out Pantera's "Behind the Music" on Youtube the other night, and it really brought the question of assigning blame in the band. I'm sure it has been talked about, but the way I see it there are three parties in the band: Dime and Vinnie, Phil, and REX! I think people seem to forget Rex considering he seems to be a little soft-spoken. Regardless he was still there. On "Behind the Music," once they got to the post 2001 segment, they stated that Phil continued his numerous side projects, which were generally looked down upon by the "band" (Dime and Vinnie). The video didn't have Rex's opinion but they mentioned that Rex joined Phil for Down II (as we all know). In my mind, this brings up an interesting question: What did/does Rex think about the Split of Pantera? It was mentioned that Rex had a more detached/objective role compared to the finger pointing of Phil, Dime, and Vinnie, but regardless Rex still aided Phil in a project that some say ended Pantera. Thoughts? Information?
25.10.2006 - 01:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
what I interpreted from that was Rex was put in the position of "go between" between the two camps - and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to go for any of that ego bullshit, and probably just took a step back from it and let the two sides bicker.

where I stand on it, in retrospect, is Phil is a fucked up individual - he sounded like a trainwreck during those interviews. Were I him, I would have probably made a real concerted effort to show up sober for those interviews and present myself in the best light possible.

I think anyone who watches that objectively - without a prior judgement as to who as "at fault" for the break up - would walk away from that episode giving Phil about 80-90% of the blame.

I was fortunate enough to catch them with Sepultura and Prong at the Compton Terrace outside Phoenix on the "Far Beyond Driven" tour - when they were at their peak. They were great. Their live energy was perhaps just a notch below Slayer in their prime and, to me, Slayer was the pinacle, the peak - so that is saying alot for Pantera.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.10.2006 - 12:09
Baz Anderson

i just watched the 'behind the music' thing too seeing as ive not seen it before
it was really interesting
i think its pretty obvious that the person to blame most is Phil. he started it all secluding himself from the band and being impossible to approach

i guess its time Vinnie feels its ready to come out from 'the other side' and play some more with this new band
i just hope it all works well
26.10.2006 - 02:35
Winter Death
Account deleted
Did anyone else get a sense Vinnie and Dime's girlfriend placing blame on Phil for Dime's death? That seemed a little harsh.
26.10.2006 - 14:02
Baz Anderson

i didnt pick that up - i just thought she was really angry at him for not communicating with them

..she wasnt both of their girlfriends was she? haha
the way you said that looks like they shared a girlfriend
27.10.2006 - 08:07
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ lol. It does look that now, doesnt it. Let me correct myself: Dime's girlfriend and Vinnie.
29.10.2006 - 16:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
wonderful band.far beyond driven and vulgar display of powe are obviously their best albums,and cowboys from hell is one heck of a revolutionary album!!
you just can't forget songs so catchy like i'm broken,cemetary gates,5 minutes alone and walk
and the riffs are just so simple yet so good
01.11.2006 - 07:41
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Guest on 26.10.2006 at 02:35

Did anyone else get a sense Vinnie and Dime's girlfriend placing blame on Phil for Dime's death? That seemed a little harsh.

...i do...i dont think they can blame phil for dimebag's death...imo pantera's breaking up wasn't his fault either...it was one of the facts, yes, but not the main reason...i think it wasn't ok to forbid anselmo's presence in darrell's funeral, hey they were friends spite everything that passed...i think dimebag would've wanted phil to be in his funeral...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
28.11.2006 - 07:12
crown
Account deleted
Pantera, is just about up there, IMO, at certain points in my life, they did trounce Slayer [especially during the Diabolus era]
DD, RIP!
09.05.2007 - 20:42
Infurnace

They have released some really cool albums. "Cowboys From Hell", "Vulgar Display Of Power" and "Far Beyond Driven" are the best albums. Cemetery Gates, This Love and 5 Minutes Alone are really great. I can listen to those songs over and over again.
10.05.2007 - 12:35
Nazeef

Written by Lucas on 22.10.2006 at 21:37

Who the fuck are those guys from that line-up? I really hope they wont call themselves Pantera.

Nevermind guy, Pantera doesn't exist on earth anymore, they are only haunting our existence.
OH, Yeah, I loved that band...
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
23.05.2007 - 21:42
Mrs_Drained
Account deleted
I don' t like that band...but I adore Cemetery Gates!

That song is so sad, it makes me cry...every time.

15.06.2007 - 01:26
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Dont you ever wonder how cool it would be if dimebag every did any solo work?
15.06.2007 - 18:48
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Not really, no. The guitar work would just sound the same just like every other guitar piece Pantera done.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
17.06.2007 - 00:43
theflyingmachine

I am a little surprised at how negative many of the posts are. Anyways, this is a great band...I have all of their releases past Cowboys in Hell. Cowboys in Hell is easily one of my all-time favorite albums. I even like the glam and ballad songs...
I was also a little surprised at how little respect Far Beyond Driven gets. Although I prefer Cowboys from Hell, FbD is an excellent album that has seen entirely too much time in my CD player. Shedding Skin, Planet Caravan, and 5 minutes alone are all classics.
Vulger Display of Power is, IMO, on par with FbD, as well.
I also don't think that the Great Southern Trendkill was quite as bad as posters on this thread make it out. Yes, it pales in comparison to the previous albums...but it wasn't that bad. Reinventing the Steel on the other hand...
I haven't heard any of Pantera's first four albums. Just lost out on a bid for Power Metal, that son of a cocksucker.
05.08.2007 - 22:52
theflyingmachine

Ha, just got my eBay bid on Power Metal, and for a reasonable price. But, I was a little disappointed with it. Many of the reviews I read compared it to Cowboys from Hell, while several also said it was the best Pantera album. I disagree, and would stick to Cowboys from Hell, Vulger Display, and FbD to be my favorites. While there is an occasional solo that reminds me of Cowboys from Hell (and the song "Burnn", which is great), this album is much simpler and lacks the edge and anger than the following albums. This album does have some good songs, and if you liked the glam songs of Cowboys from Hell (such as Shattered and Cemetary Gates), you might give this a try, while it is also a must have for glam fans. But I can't help but think how far they came between Power Metal and Cowboys from Hell.
05.08.2007 - 22:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I felt the need to listen to them, just a minute ago. Good stuff.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.08.2007 - 23:51
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
wow yesterday I blasted Vulgar Display of Power while doing some yard work and drinking it was awesome, Pantera's BEST!