Metal Storm logo
Pantera

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 18.05.2006 - 00:00
Coming from a style that some consider to be Glam, US Power Metal or just Heavy Metal (I haven't had the chance of actually listening to this period from the band) Pantera became a Groove Thrash metal band that told all those Grunge bands, that were taking over during the 90's, to fuck off, that Metal is alive and breathing. Their music, raw and in your face, has influenced several bands including many Nu Metal bands (often hated for that).

As we all know, the life of the guitar god Dimebag Darrell ended during a tragic incident where a son of a bitch killed him during a show of his other band Damageplan, in which he too played guitar along with his brother Vinnie Paul, in December 8th, 2004. Millions suffered his death back in those days and we all still do for he was a unique guitar palyer and person, as all the people who knew him acknowledge. He may not be with us in flesh but he will be alive forever through his music.

Here is their official thread.
24.08.2008 - 18:17
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 06:00

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2008 at 14:53

PLease stop the cheesiness concerning dead artists... it's not like you people actually knew the said artist in real life.

What's wrong with expressing sadness for the tragedy of a hero? His music affected many people in positive ways, and Dime also had a big heart. He once bought a young kid some amps and a guitar, because he couldn't afford them himself. He was also very connected with his fans.

It's too bad that the artists died earlyl, and it is fucked up how Dimebag died. But, the more that people talk about these artists' deaths, the more it lacks sincerity. For example, it has become almost mandatory in the Death thread to end your posts with "R.I.P. Chuck" or "We love you Chuck".
24.08.2008 - 18:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by theflyingmachine on 24.08.2008 at 18:17

PLease stop the cheesiness concerning dead artists... it's not like you people actually knew the said artist in real life.

What's wrong with expressing sadness for the tragedy of a hero? His music affected many people in positive ways, and Dime also had a big heart. He once bought a young kid some amps and a guitar, because he couldn't afford them himself. He was also very connected with his fans.

It's too bad that the artists died earlyl, and it is fucked up how Dimebag died. But, the more that people talk about these artists' deaths, the more it lacks sincerity. For example, it has become almost mandatory in the Death thread to end your posts with "R.I.P. Chuck" or "We love you Chuck".

Exactly and trend is also prevalent in the Pantera threads...
Why didn't people praise Dimebag that much when he was still alive, or Chuck for that matter, or any other dead artist? Because most people only noticed the artists' ability after their deaths.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2008 - 18:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2008 at 18:28

Why didn't people praise Dimebag that much when he was still alive

probably because i personally didn't know he existed
24.08.2008 - 19:57
Sorg
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 24.08.2008 at 18:17

That's true, I've never thought of it that way. I'm sure huge fans of Chuck's are being 100% sincere, though. And those who aren't huge fans of Chuck's music could still be paying some respect to him.
27.11.2008 - 19:15
Frankenchrist
I GOTTA learn how to be as skillfull as dime was with pinch harmonics.
----
Blat Blat
26.12.2008 - 04:23
Gigginova
Account deleted
Now politically, I am very left, I am also very against racism, but I must say that I very much agree with Phil's remarks in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQk3DC3gL0&NR=1

I wish they wouldn't call it "white power speech"......he even explains that Pantera are not racist and have friends of different backrounds/colours. The video to me is thought provoking
26.12.2008 - 09:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 26.12.2008 at 04:23

Now politically, I am very left, I am also very against racism, but I must say that I very much agree with Phil's remarks in this video:

I wish they wouldn't call it "white power speech"......he even explains that Pantera are not racist and have friends of different backrounds/colours. The video to me is thought provoking

So what is he trying to say? I really don't understand. He is saying that blacks are as much racists as whites are? And why should we take pride in the fact that we are white?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.12.2008 - 16:38
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 26.12.2008 at 09:29

So what is he trying to say? I really don't understand. He is saying that blacks are as much racists as whites are? And why should we take pride in the fact that we are white?

He simply speaking out against double-standards.
It seems that black persons are able to say any off-colour racial things, but white people are not.
02.01.2009 - 03:58
Ess-B
Account deleted
I am a fan of Pantera and I can see where everyone is coming from with the exasperated R.I.P.s and he was the greatest etc. This all goes with the saying you don't know what you have until it's gone. On the other hand I think it's unfair to compare Chuck not getting recognition when he was alive to Dimebag. Pantera was a lucrative band that was in fact very popular in the 90s. Chuck couldn't afford to get surgery.

My point being is, whether someone says they miss someone or rest in peace or any of that, there is know way of knowing if they are sincere, so there is no point in telling someone they need to/or don't need to say it. Also the reason some people post things like that is sort of a communication of metal camaraderie. Most of us have an appreciation for death, and therefore we miss chuck. His music lives on but we would like him to be alive making more.

To get back on topic to Pantera, coming back to this forum I would just like to say they were offputting to me at one point because many people around me did say the "R.I.P. dimebag" thing too much. My lil' bro (a metal-head also) started taking a liking to vulgar display of power and from true metal heads around me convincing that Pantera isn't just popular garbage I gave it a listen.

Pantera's appeal comes from their well delivered lyrics, old school heaviness, Vinnie Paul being an OG in his steel-toes behind the set, and just good riffs. Ultimately they composed well and it was preformed well.

I enjoy listening to Pantera when I am in a certain mood and I appreciate Dimebags guitar playing. I just think of it as if Texas made a metal band what would it sound like? Pantera fadefdo.
04.01.2009 - 18:12
Coté
I've bought just one of their albums, Cowboys From Hell since I love the song Cemetery gates it's just amazing. I also have Far Beyond Driven but just in the computer.

I think Phil Anselmo's voice is really powerful and expressful ^^
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
31.01.2009 - 18:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Totally hilarious, Dimebag singing on the street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIaqB7hdxKo&feature=related

i need some moneeey.... gimme some moneey... right noww...
31.01.2009 - 18:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Frankenchrist on 27.11.2008 at 19:15

I GOTTA learn how to be as skillfull as dime was with pinch harmonics.

his pinch harmonics imo are pretty "normal", what isn't normal is his extremely heavy guitar tone and his work with the tremolo bar and his bends.. that's what make his squeals so insane.
01.02.2009 - 04:07
Gigginova
Account deleted
They are like the only metal band from the South I listen to lol.
17.03.2009 - 00:03
terrorist
Pantera was unique band with great musicians,specialy with Dimebag on guitar R.I.P.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
17.03.2009 - 00:04
terrorist
Written by Valentin B on 31.01.2009 at 18:13

Totally hilarious, Dimebag singing on the street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIaqB7hdxKo&feature=related

i need some moneeey.... gimme some moneey... right noww...

Have you seen the whole dvd?
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
20.03.2009 - 17:20
Justice
They were a dream that we will never see again
they had everything for a great band
amazing guys
21.03.2009 - 15:20
Kranium Decay
Account deleted
Amazing band! I wish Dimebag was alive and also Pantera *sigh*!

...m/...
26.06.2009 - 15:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9roanWPSA

Phil giving a very drunk and emotional statement about Dimebag's death, it's an old video but i thought i should post it here.
19.08.2009 - 14:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Blabbermouth just posted a new interview with Phil talking about some really serious stuff regarding his drug addiction, one of his more intelligent interviews. It's pretty depressing though - it's sad how weird he acts now cuz of drugs

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=125509

It's crazy to see how he is now, especially when you look at old interviews like this
20.08.2009 - 21:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What an interview. Phil is my hero!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.08.2009 - 07:07
Happy Birthday Dimebag!

Rest in peace

I'm new to this forum, and I only have one complaint.
1. Why the hell is there an otep advertisement every other page
2. why the FUCK is it so huge?!?

Damn... Otep aren't good anyways!
----
21.08.2009 - 20:25
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Windsovcreation on 21.08.2009 at 07:07

Happy Birthday Dimebag!

Rest in peace

I'm new to this forum, and I only have one complaint.
1. Why the hell is there an otep advertisement every other page
2. why the FUCK is it so huge?!?

Damn... Otep aren't good anyways!

Well, you can visit Ideas and Suggestions or The Quick Question Thread and ask your website/forums questions there not here in Pantera's thread..
17.09.2009 - 07:41
DevilBabi
GAH
Is all i can say. Fucking love dimebag !! and Pantera.
Forever and always
24.09.2009 - 16:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah, everyone here.. Id like to buy some Pantera, and since I dont really know the band that much, I wanted some advice on which album to buy xept for Cowboys.
thanks
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.09.2009 - 16:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah, everyone here.. Id like to buy some Pantera, and since I dont really know the band that much, I wanted some advice on which album to buy xept for Cowboys.
thanks
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.09.2009 - 16:44
Written by Guib on 24.09.2009 at 16:03

thanks

Outside of Cowboys from Hell, you have to get Far Beyond Driven and Vulger Display of Power.
27.10.2011 - 20:29
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.12.2008 at 16:38

Written by K✞ulu on 26.12.2008 at 09:29

He simply speaking out against double-standards.
It seems that black persons are able to say any off-colour racial things, but white people are not.

Thats true, if a black person says that he is proud of being black its okay, but if a white guy is says he is proud of being white, he is racist, and its bullshit. And everyother race besides whites are just as racist. Me? Im white and i am proud of being white, and if you think im racist then fuck off you hypocritical bastards.
27.10.2011 - 20:29
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Other than off topic stuff, Pantera is one of my favorite thrash bands.
28.10.2011 - 01:54
Savopipo
I think Pantera is overrated.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
08.12.2011 - 20:27
Baz Anderson
staff
This day in 2004... crazy. I still remember reading about it on this website in my Computing class in college...