Metal Storm logo
Favorite Thrash (*Not Including The Big Four*)

Original post

Posted by Guib, 25.04.2011 - 18:14
I was tired of Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth polls about Thrash metal. So I decided to learn about people's opinion on
other early thrash metal bands. Obviously I forgot some but I placed OTHER so everyone should be happy Just tell me which one you prefer and why
and don't forget to vote. I don't wanna hear anyone saying (my favorite is so metallica) please just don't include the big four. lol

My personal favorite would be Exodus even after the change in the vocals back in the day, they remain my favorite thrash metal band, because they're brutal, constant and they never forgot their old thrash metal sound. My favorite album is (obviously) Bonded By Blood. Also, a little 2010 recomendation would be Exhibit B, cause its simply awesome ! Can't wait for their next piece of art

Your turn to give me ur opinion

Poll

Which Early Thrash Metal Band Do You Prefer (Apart from the big four)

Kreator
Testament
Other
Exodus
Sodom
Overkill
Artillery
Destruction
Heathen

Total votes: 137
26.10.2011 - 01:56
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
My favorite other than the four would probably be Coroner, D.R.I., Vio-lence, and Testament.
26.10.2011 - 02:55
Mattybu

I actually picked Sodom, they really kick ass and have had a large amount of very solid material. Not only that I like the band's image and songwriting style.

Although I really do like every band on this list and many, many others.
26.10.2011 - 03:38
king_matt

At the time I think I voted for Kreator, but now I would vote "Other" (Coroner).
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
28.06.2020 - 22:11
Zopilote

I voted Testament as they're my favorite "true" thrash metal band. But to me, Sepultura's early stuff (BTR, Arise) is the best thrash metal material ever.
03.07.2020 - 00:00
Ganondox

Tourniquet, they weren't just good for a Christian band, they had some of the most interesting ideas in thrash metal at the time. Maybe they don't can't as early though, but they are certainly early compared to my other choice, exhibited would be Vektor. Of those listed though I'd go with Overkill, I like bands with singers who can actually sing, and high screams are way better than just shouting.
17.07.2020 - 09:35
s(AINT)

Death Angel is one of the most criminally underrated bands, let alone thrash bands out there \m/
08.02.2021 - 08:23
Nucky

Destruction for me.. Guess I'm a minority in this one
08.02.2021 - 09:25
JoHn Doe

Testament I guess
Would have voted for Death Angel had they been in the poll.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
29.03.2021 - 15:27
blackwreath13

Kreator.
Pleasure to Kill is one of my all-timers I love that album and when I saw them live in Melbourne it was easily one of the best shows I ever attended (possibly even *the* best).
12.01.2022 - 11:50
Vikcen
Metálico
Testament, Kreator, Exodus and...

Vektor!
12.01.2022 - 12:56
Metal Rasputin

Exodus. Not everything they've done is simply magical and great, but even the less good albums have some killer songs and shitload of memorable riffs. Testament is forgettable band, they only got better after they started working with Andy Sneap. Kreator is really good, but they only have one or two killer albums on par with the best of Exodus.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
20.03.2022 - 03:16
Drippy.Hippie

It's a fucking abomination that Testament aren't considered part of "the big four", especially because I've always found the music of both Anthrax and Megadeth to be incredibly distasteful
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
20.03.2022 - 10:03
JoHn Doe

Written by Drippy.Hippie on 20.03.2022 at 03:16

It's a fucking abomination that Testament aren't considered part of "the big four", especially because I've always found the music of both Anthrax and Megadeth to be incredibly distasteful

The Big 4 was about popularity and nothing else. Those were the most popular at that point.
I'm honestly surprised people don't know that and still complain about it.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
26.08.2023 - 02:48
Guib
Thrash Talker
Damn... I have grown since I've created this. Haha why the hell did I put Heathen in the main poll, I should've put Sepultura, Coroner, Pantera or even Suicidal Tendencies. Anyways...

No big surprises on the winners lol. Of course Testament and Kreator were gonna be first. Although I am shocked that they are even... I would've expected Testament to win by a margin, at least 10+. Kinda cool to see some real love for the Teutonic Thrash kings.

Though I still stand with my original pick of Exodus. These guys were sweating thrash, especially early in their career. They got the vibe, the aggression and Paul Baloff was an absolute beast. Not vocally, I mean he literally was an animal hahahaha. I never actually enjoyed his vocal style much it was always the riffs and aggressivity or the songwriting that made Exodus so good to me. Zetro was a much better vocalist.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2023 - 14:08
Zap
Written by Guib on 26.08.2023 at 02:48

Damn... I have grown since I've created this. Haha why the hell did I put Heathen in the main poll, I should've put Sepultura, Coroner, Pantera or even Suicidal Tendencies. Anyways...

No big surprises on the winners lol. Of course Testament and Kreator were gonna be first. Although I am shocked that they are even... I would've expected Testament to win by a margin, at least 10+. Kinda cool to see some real love for the Teutonic Thrash kings.

Though I still stand with my original pick of Exodus. These guys were sweating thrash, especially early in their career. They got the vibe, the aggression and Paul Baloff was an absolute beast. Not vocally, I mean he literally was an animal hahahaha. I never actually enjoyed his vocal style much it was always the riffs and aggressivity or the songwriting that made Exodus so good to me. Zetro was a much better vocalist.

I vaguely remember this poll and there is a good chance I am that one person who voted Heathen, hahaha. As for Kreator v Testament; I feel like these days Kreator is at least as popular or even more popular than Testament, but I may be wrong.
15.03.2024 - 23:11
Joppe
Steelemeister

Suicidal Tendencies.

Good point, and while the band might not have succeeded totally with album quality or popularity, they majorly succeeded in pushing the envelope in innovation during the How Will I Laugh... Lights Camera Revolution... and The Art of Rebellion and afterwards. For me it's hard to say who is best, but ST always exceeded during this era.
----
My vision is augmented
17.03.2024 - 17:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Joppe on 15.03.2024 at 23:11

Suicidal Tendencies.

Good point, and while the band might not have succeeded totally with album quality or popularity, they majorly succeeded in pushing the envelope in innovation during the How Will I Laugh... Lights Camera Revolution... and The Art of Rebellion and afterwards. For me it's hard to say who is best, but ST always exceeded during this era.

True and they've been around since the very beginning of Thrash too. Their self titled coming out the same year as Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.03.2024 - 17:59
JoHn Doe

Written by Guib on 17.03.2024 at 17:52

True and they've been around since the very beginning of Thrash too. Their self titled coming out the same year as Kill 'Em All and Show No Mercy.

Their debut was punk/hardcore punk, not thrash IMO.
----
17.03.2024 - 18:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by JoHn Doe on 17.03.2024 at 17:59

Their debut was punk/hardcore punk, not thrash IMO.

It sure is debatable, as for me along with bands like Discharge and Dr.Know this essentially marks the beginning of Crossover Thrash. But yeah, definitely more punk-ish than later releases and bands that would pick-up on that style. The line's always been quite slim with Hardcore so I totally get your point.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here