06. Silent Towers
07. Labyrinth Of London (Horror Pt. IV)
08. Of Death And Corruption
09. April 14th
10. Night Will Forgive Us

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
What attracted me to Swallow The Sun in the first place? Hard to say, but it was definitely their take on combining elements of doom and melodic death metal and putting their own spin on the outcome. And while not originators of this not easily defined genre, Swallow The Sun stayed somewhat true to their basic formula over the years.

Read more ››
published 01.08.2012 | Comments (28)

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 154   Visited by: 1787 users
10.01.2012 - 21:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Even as someone who enjoys much of the Suns' discog, I can easily agree with Marcel on every point he's made.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 15:20
Rating: 7
Akbarz
Just watched their new music video, doesn' seem like we gonna experience something different...
----
Like a slow scenery
I'm losing all my faith
In a lifeless motion
14.01.2012 - 18:52
Rating: 10
MetalSpider
I enjoy everything that Swallow the Sun does, I love their music...and Kai Hahto is an incredible drummer. I do see where Marcel is coming from though. Regardless...I love their music.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.01.2012 - 17:13
sickbrain
Swallow the sun-Emerald Forest And The Blackbird-2012-TEASER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL994wc1AJI
17.01.2012 - 03:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by VPeter on 10.01.2012 at 14:03

Swallow The Sun is just an average band for the Doom metal fan, if you visit any doom metal concert/fest you can go around and ask and they will all most likely say it. Swallow the Sun is popular with the non doom metal, not really surprising as when you come down to it Swallow the Sun is not really Doom metal but more Melodic Death with some Doom in it.

^This

I am not a doom fan but I like New Moon because it contains enough melo and prog to keep me hooked.
----
rekt
20.01.2012 - 10:15
Mikyz
I'm not excited to listen to this if the music video is representative enough, this whole album will be a tedious, boring listen to say the least.

I agree with Marcel on this point, StS are pretty bland, and tad bit poppy. Not of all of their discography, mind you, but it's been going downhill. Also Mar De Grises are on a whole different level, they're not even slightly comparable. One is unbelievably crushing, the other (StS) fleeting and forgettable. I'll be reading reviews though.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.01.2012 - 12:10
altercuca
Account deleted
Http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-swallow-the-sun-levy-6513/

I just saw this on their FB page today

Enjoy, I sure have .
25.01.2012 - 12:25
altercuca
Account deleted
And FFS!!!!! metaleaterr StS is Melodic Death before Doom. Having listened to all those bands you claim you might hear the fuckin difference.
25.01.2012 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2012 at 12:25

And FFS!!!!! metaleaterr StS is Melodic Death before Doom. Having listened to all those bands you claim you might hear the fuckin difference.

well to be honest their first album was death doom
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2012 - 19:32
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2012 at 13:35

And they've never reached the quality of that first album again. I've used your profile as an eye opener for great bands in the doom scene (i.e. Mourning Beloveth and Process of Guilt to name just two - hadn't really heard of them until I looked through your list). Definitely agree with your standpoint on StS as well, I love their first album, but everything else has been a disappointment.
25.01.2012 - 20:25
Kenos
Account deleted
It should be leaked now. I'll listen to it after dinner.
25.01.2012 - 20:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 25.01.2012 at 20:25

I'll pray for your well-being
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.01.2012 - 22:15
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2012 at 20:39

Written by Guest on 25.01.2012 at 20:25

I'll pray for your well-being

Seventh song only, but so far I'm enjoying it. Yeah, nothing extraordinary/original, but it's well written and carefully arranged and it doesn't sound so kitschy... And tbh I was expecting it, despite the borefest "Cathedral Walls".
I admit I've never disliked StS, while I find other bands of this genre (Draconian for example) very mediocre and tiresome. Hmm, tastes, I guess.
26.01.2012 - 03:00
Rating: 7
strade
First of all, metaleaterr can't be serious. Those are some of the most ludicrous comments I've seen on here in a long time.

Second of all, after the somewhat boring opening track, I really started enjoying this. I'll see how it ends up.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
26.01.2012 - 04:21
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I think Hope is still my favorite, haven't listened to this yet, apart from the single, which I liked very much, so I have high expectations.

Furthermore, I think metaleaterr makes valid points, which are undermined by his inconsistent listening habits. I don't understand how someone can pick a band as a favorite and not be familiar with all of its work, but at the same time, if band A is more successful than band B in a genre as restricted as Doom Metal, surely band A's popularity suggests fans as a whole don't agree their quality is that dissimilar, styles aside.

At the same time, Marcel has demonstrated a peculiar despise for Swallow the Sun, which he has justified with arrogant, subjective and derogatory verbosity. I believe more Doom Metal fans like Swallow the Sun than the other way around, but it seems he can guarantee I'm wrong. He claims Swallow the Sun are prefabricated plastic shallow Doom comparable to a boyband; as if living in a bubble, he easily dismisses a band with real instruments, playing its own songs, making music considered inaccessible by the majority of the population and compares it with the exact opposite. And to top it all, this comparison is legitimized, in his opinion, by Swallow the Sun's acceptance to dress jeans and black jackets in photoshoots I guess, pretty much the same kind of clothes every Metal band, including Mar de Grises, sports. And all this, it seems, because, oh noes, Swallow the Sun has probably managed to write long, slow, gloomy songs that are catchy. OH NOES! Big violation of the constitution of Doom Metal, article 69, paragraph k).

Or something along these lines.

Anyway, I'm just here for the music (which I consider Death Doom Metal and believe Melodic Death Metal's definition has instead been adultered lately, a band like Insomnium being a clear reason).
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
26.01.2012 - 20:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So much comments huh Swallow The CUM - well I agree whit Marcel, I never was fan of this band even I have heard all albums, today played this 2 times , I wont be time for any more and I wont buy it, it was well not bad but not good, some songs was boring, some good, but it was to week generaly speeking to say its good doom, this band is overated , if we comparing what bad pop music is on radio, I will defenetly be happy hear it on radio but generaly no, I dobt I ever will listen this album in next 5 years generaly I havnt listen this band after I download and delite all albums some years ago
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.01.2012 - 03:31
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
This sounds more like a slow paced melodic death metal than doom to me. This might be the reason some doom fans aren't too fussed over it is because it sounds weak as a purely doom album, but that's only because it isn't.
Some tracks sound more like doom though, 'Emerald Forest and the Blackbird', 'Cathedral Walls', 'April 14th' are very doom sounding. But mostly I get the feeling of melodic death.

At their 'doomier' moments I think they do it quite well, but they do the melodic death part better I think.
27.01.2012 - 07:04
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
I truly want it, i hope i will see something new \m/
27.01.2012 - 09:10
altercuca
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.01.2012 at 13:35

yes...and that's it! plague of the butterflies has almost 25 min of melodic death (-.-" the song is 30 min). I tell you they're slippin away from doom
28.01.2012 - 19:57
HaaskAksaaH
I'M LISTENING TO THIS AT NOW ,,,, AND IT SOUNDS HOLLY FUCKING AWESOME \\M//
01.02.2012 - 12:48
garmling
Account deleted
At my first listen it was like meh, nice, but nothing special...but now, after few more spins it really started to grow on me...it is doomish album, but with lots of twists (black metal parts, death metal parts, ulver/empyrium like parts etc), so you can't really predict what's next throughout any of songs...this is one intricate piece of art which I truly enjoy!
01.02.2012 - 19:11
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 12:48

it is doomish album, but with lots of twists (black metal parts, death metal parts, ulver/empyrium like parts etc), so you can't really predict what's next throughout any of songs...this is one intricate piece of art which I truly enjoy!

Yea it's a great and rich album, though I don't enjoy that much the most accessible tunes like "Cathedral Walls" and "Silent Towers". The opener and "Hate, Lead The Way" are among the best StS' songs!
01.02.2012 - 19:31
Rating: 9
Justicelust
I never enjoyed anything in my like like I enjoyed This album, I feel like I am in a date when I listen to this album the strange thing is that the more I listen the more I love it. those who don't like this album much I suggest them listen to it again.
02.02.2012 - 03:20
Rating: 9
hadriel
I've always been a huuuge StS fan, but this album still managed to blow me away on the first listen even...if it gets better with subsequent listens I cannot wait. *runs to buy a vinyl copy asap*

Seriously though, they managed to build so much atmosphere with this album, it's great. I especially love how well this band manages to somehow make doom metal 'fast' on certain tracks without skipping a beat. The album flows seamlessly, sounds gorgeous, the black metal influences are a great addition...there's nothing I don't like about this album other than the fact that it ends.
03.02.2012 - 03:04
Enissa
Masterpiece.
03.02.2012 - 05:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Another yawn inducing affair. Their best is still their debut. totally unoriginal and uninspiring poster boys of metal band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2012 - 20:05
woodsmoke666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.02.2012 at 05:04

Another yawn inducing affair. Their best is still their debut. totally unoriginal and uninspiring poster boys of metal band.

Seriously man, everytime I read your comments on this band you come out with crap like this. Sure they are a more mainstream type of doom but comparing them to bands like Mar de Grises is foolish. Forget the genre tags cos both play different types of music.

Still getting into this new album so I'll hold off on a rating for now.
----
tokoloshe
03.02.2012 - 22:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor

gee, imagine that, Marcel eviscerates another album people actually like
----
rekt
04.02.2012 - 01:00
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
This a pretty good album I felt, I really like "Hate Lead the Way", "Labyrinth of London", "Of Death and Corruption" and "April 14th". Just noticing this now but the vocals give me a very Depeche Mode vibe, especially in "This Cut Is The Deepest".
04.02.2012 - 01:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.02.2012 at 22:37

gee, imagine that, Marcel eviscerates another album people actually like

problem is in this case that people like fucking shit.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 40450 | This month: 55