06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 21 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3715 users
15.02.2023 - 20:09
Rating: 1
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Metren on 15.02.2023 at 19:16

This album is an interesting piece of shit. I can't say that I get no entertainment out of listening to it. It's not quite the same enjoyment as with "so bad they're good" movies like The Room, but it is something similar.

I find it mind boggling that this exists when you consider that these are the same musicians that invented and performed those legendary songs in the 80s. But I would not call it interesting. I never feel the urge to listen to this album.
15.02.2023 - 20:37
JoHn Doe

Most of the ideas (if not all) for this album came from Lou Reed, I remember when this was released, and the CD was gathering dust in music store I was often going to, Lou Reed's name came first and then Metallica (Lou Reed & Metallica) on the CD.
https://www.discogs.com/release/3201257-Lou-Reed-Metallica-Lulu
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.03.2023 - 08:13
Rating: 4
24emd
Theory Snob
I used to defend this album... never mind. It's crap. But like Metren said, it's somewhere near to 'so bad it's good'.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
23.04.2023 - 10:44
franksamuel0209

I AM THE TABLE

*RIFF* *RIFF*
29.05.2023 - 07:00
bardberic
Account deleted
I like this album
09.06.2023 - 23:37
Angel Wolf
Account deleted
It reminds me of my loved ones . awesome music had always came from Metallica\m/
09.06.2023 - 23:38
Angel Wolf
Account deleted
And of course! the iconic MetallicA.
21.06.2023 - 12:23
nonZero

Would this album be better if it sounded like this?

----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
21.06.2023 - 17:28
Zap
Written by nonZero on 21.06.2023 at 12:23

I've only seen the thumbnail because I'm not going to play a video on mobile data, but my first thought was:
"Oh, what did Beanley Hall do this time?"
21.06.2023 - 20:17
A Real Mönkey

Written by nonZero on 21.06.2023 at 12:23

THIS MOTHERFUCKER PLAYING BEANS!
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
01.07.2023 - 01:49
datfish

This album is the quintessence of swampy asshole manifested through the realm of sonic vibrations.
01.07.2023 - 08:00
Rating: 2
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I'm afraid I have to jump on the old bang wagon here, I think this album really sucks. However, it's a poetic journey through the warped mind of Lou Reed, so it's something only he himself was likely to understand. Experimental wise, it reminds me of his early adventures with The Velvet Underground, when he was high on all kinds of substances, but I found some of his early stuff bizarrely satisfying, "Heroin", "Venus In Furs" etc.. His work here on Lulu is along way off the standard of that early material though imo. Metallica I basically just see as a back up band here, adding that extra oomph, nothing more.

Hits total: 80110 | This month: 162