Metal Storm logo
Bal-Sagoth

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 23.09.2006 - 06:09
Well, the thread for this excellent british band.
I post a part of an article of wikipedia: Byron Roberts formed Bal-Sagoth in 1993 in an attempt to form what he called "A sublimely symphonic black/death metal band swathed in a concept of dark fantasy/science-fiction and ancient myth & legendary." Drawing inspiration from such writers as Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frank Herbert, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shakespeare, Arthur C. Clarke, David Gemmell, George Lucas, and Stan Lee, Byron set out to create his own dark fantasy universe, with tales told through the music of Bal-Sagoth. Dubbed "The Multiverse", the lyrical world of Bal-Sagoth is a vast landscape of fantasy/science fiction, ranging from intergalactic tales of gods and cosmic empires, to sword and sorcery style epic battles.

They're one of the bands I admire the most because of the fantasy and the great music, they have a unique style.
So, what do you think about them?
21.05.2011 - 20:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Bal-Sagoth's cheese factor is way too high for them to be considered extreme metal. It's like saying Manowar are extreme because they're loud.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.05.2011 - 21:30
Yasmine

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.05.2011 at 20:47

Bal-Sagoth's cheese factor is way too high for them to be considered extreme metal. It's like saying Manowar are extreme because they're loud.

That's like saying a movie can't be action cause its cheesy. And theres no such thing as cheese, cheese is just male embarassment, like mom catching you wanking it.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
22.05.2011 - 03:30
RavenKing

Bal-Sagoth's cheese factor is way too high for them to be considered extreme metal.

I like Bal-Sagoth moderately but I share this opinion. Only their first album can be considered extreme. After that, the cheese factor is too high.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
08.07.2011 - 03:50
Llort

My band opened for Bal-Sagoth in London tonight. Was a good night, but for whatever reason, Byron vanished and didn't turn up for the show! Ended up with my vocalist and one of the other support's vocalists handling the mic for their set. Not sure what happened to him, but they're playing Liverpool tomorrow - hope they manage to sort this out!
09.07.2011 - 11:57
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Llort on 08.07.2011 at 03:50

My band opened for Bal-Sagoth in London tonight. Was a good night, but for whatever reason, Byron vanished and didn't turn up for the show! Ended up with my vocalist and one of the other support's vocalists handling the mic for their set. Not sure what happened to him, but they're playing Liverpool tomorrow - hope they manage to sort this out!

hahaha what the fuck?! im very curious how your guy knew the lyrics and whatnot
09.07.2011 - 12:26
Llort

We're all big Sagoth fans, so he knew his fair share, though the fact that he was asked to sing for Bal Sagoth with about 2 minutes notice was obviously a bit of a system shock which threw him off a little. For us, that made it pretty awesome, but nonetheless it's massively disappointing that the first Bal Sagoth UK shows in 5 years were not quite to be - spoke to people who travelled from as far as Australia and the US to be there!
12.12.2011 - 07:43
JÄY
Metal slave

Bal-Sagoth's cheese factor is way too high for them to be considered extreme metal.

it's extremely cheesy.
12.12.2011 - 07:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JÄY on 12.12.2011 at 07:43
it's extremely cheesy.

I suppose that's what I meant...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 09:25
Baz Anderson

Yeh, I heard about the whole mess of them Bal-Sagoth shows... I wonder why Byron didn't turn up to them...

It's pretty sad really, because I know a ton of people will be wanting to see this band live. Fingers crossed for Bloodstock next year or something... if they can get their act together.
15.12.2011 - 09:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
With Dimmu already there I don't think there'd be enough room for the likes of Bal-Sagoth.
----
15.12.2011 - 09:38
Baz Anderson

Well they're an English band, and they played at Bloodstock in 2005 I think... so there is hope. Bloodstock isn't too discriminatory with styles, and Bal-Sagoth would be a middle-of-the-day type band too, not a headliner.
15.12.2011 - 09:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I can tell they aren't discriminatory, they've got Alice Cooper and Anvil there too.

Pretty wide range, and it would make sense if Bal-Sagoth went since like you said, Dimmu would be headlining so it wouldn't really be a clash of the "extreme cheese" bands.
----
16.02.2013 - 01:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Not much can be told from 40 secs...i dont really like the spoken vocals though...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.04.2019 - 17:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If anyone has been wondering what the members of Bal-Sagoth have been up to lately... here's a quick update on their activities! The first album of Chris and Jonny's new musical project Kull, entitled "Exile" will be released soon by Black Lion Records, and Byron's new novel "The Chronicles of Caylen-Tor" (featuring the character who first appeared in the lyrics of the second Bal-Sagoth album "Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule" back in 1996) will be published in May by DMR Books.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.07.2019 - 08:13
Nothquor

We want a new Bal-Sagoth record!!!!