07. New Eden
08. Cylindrical Sea
09. Espera
10. To Lead You To An Overwhelming Question
11. Weightless
12. David

The best Djent / Math Metal album of 2011

Additional info
The album was produced by drummer, Navene Koperweis and ANIMALS AS LEADERS, and mixed by guitarist Javier Reyes. The album marks the recording debut of Koperweis and Reyes with ANIMALS AS LEADERS

Europe: November 4
UK: November 7
North America: November 8

Staff review by
BloodTears
Rating:
Imagine you were on a date and the other person saw you with the Weightless CD and asked you what it sounds like. Most people wouldn't describe it as make-out music, however tempting that would be in that situation. I think the music of this US trio is better described as musical gymnastics. If that is a good aphrodisiac or not, that depends on whether you say it with a sexy face or not.

Read more ››
published 23.12.2011 | Comments (25)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 697 users
04.07.2011 - 23:33
Pankar95

What? New album? Very interested.
17.08.2011 - 13:01
Rating: 8
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
"The new record is finished and turned in." - as of 2 hours ago! source
01.09.2011 - 22:17
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Introspekrieg on 17.08.2011 at 13:01

"The new record is finished and turned in." - as of 2 hours ago! source

----
02.09.2011 - 00:52
MetalSpider

Just listened to their self-titled album...it's really good stuff!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
24.09.2011 - 15:28
Panterica

I'm eager to see how they've eveolved since their last release.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
28.09.2011 - 17:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Some bad news...

28.09.2011 - 19:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.09.2011 at 17:32
Some bad news...

What are they just testing their fans' loyalty or something? Have they seen Metallica's Facebook page?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.10.2011 - 23:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It's probably a joke. If so, it is a good one
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.10.2011 - 22:18
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Heard. - WIN

Not that amazing for the first time as the debut, because they've changed.
----
14.10.2011 - 20:15
The Voyager
The Table
Kind of disappointed with this so far. Sure, they changed their sound a little bit, with the inclusion of some electronic elements. But the problem is, that sound doesn't really change at all throughout the album. I felt like I was listening to the same song over and over again at points. It's a good song, but there's only so many times you can listen to the same song in succession. Opinion might change with more listens, but that's where I stand right now.
14.10.2011 - 20:41
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I was pumped upon hearing the first four or five tracks then it gets a bit inconsistent/melts together. I think there is a track-order problem that disrupts the flow of the album.

EDIT: yep, after a few spins it sounds perfect.
15.10.2011 - 18:53
MechanisT
Account deleted
LOVE the cover and, from what I've heard thus far, the content is also stellar. Yes, there's almost nothing new brought to the table this time on, but I could care less when the music is of this caliber.
18.10.2011 - 09:06
The Benighted

This is going to take some serious effort to get into. Seems like it's worth it thus far, though. The arrangements are interesting, and the various new electronic passages seem to work well.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
21.10.2011 - 18:31
Coolingsrock

Sounds pretty good
26.10.2011 - 18:13
Rating: 10
Moose

This took me a few listens to get in to...but it just kept getting better and better with every listen.

Has now reached the level where it's challenging for my top album of the year. Absolutely incredible album.

When this drops, make sure you give it time to sink in before voting!
02.11.2011 - 23:13
Rating: 9
Gelati

Agreed. It's actually a tough listen but not in a bad way. Something that grows on you!
04.11.2011 - 03:32
Gelati

Written by Gelati on 02.11.2011 at 23:13

Agreed. It's actually a tough listen but not in a bad way. Something that grows on you!

After a few more spins I've realized that my previous assumption was true. This album is just awesome. There is so much more to appreciate from a songwriting standpoint primarily because there is a lot of development. I LOVED the debut album but the one thing I did not like about it was how fragmented and negatively spontaneous it was. It went from one idea to another with next to no transition. While "Weightless" isn't nearly as catchy the first time through it is, most definitely, a more mature album. The other thing to consider is that this is the "true" debut album with the full band assembled which leads the band in a positive direction for the future.
05.11.2011 - 20:37
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Yep, needs a few spins to actually get into. Now I think it's almost as good as the debut.
----
11.11.2011 - 09:57
RockeRoy

Loved it, even better than their self titled.. these guys plays like no one else, their music contradicts everything you ever learnd about music theory in school.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.11.2011 - 18:59
Destructo

Written by qlacs on 05.11.2011 at 20:37

Yep, needs a few spins to actually get into. Now I think it's almost as good as the debut.

I logged in here with the sole intention of writing the exact same words as yours. Oh well....;D
15.11.2011 - 01:52
malaikat

Wait, so this was recorded with no bass whatsoever? Just two guitars and drums? If so, damn.
15.11.2011 - 02:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by malaikat on 15.11.2011 at 01:52
Wait, so this was recorded with no bass whatsoever? Just two guitars and drums? If so, damn.

Nope, apparently there are other musicians. I've gotta strip them of visibility. Minor mistake.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 02:08
malaikat

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.11.2011 at 02:05

Written by malaikat on 15.11.2011 at 01:52

Nope, apparently there are other musicians. I've gotta strip them of visibility. Minor mistake.

Well, in all fairness, in all band pictures there's always just three of them, so I kinda assumed.
15.11.2011 - 02:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by malaikat on 15.11.2011 at 02:08
Well, in all fairness, in all band pictures there's always just three of them, so I kinda assumed.

I think they have/had a session bassist.

Regardless, the profile doesn't have any live musicians so they won't be visible.
----
15.11.2011 - 21:25
John Shock

I like it, it's different than what i'm usually used to ear...but it's "brain-eater"! ...with solos?
21.11.2011 - 16:34
opeth771

This is a pure eargasm!!!... I like this one much better than their first record, even though the first record was excellent.
03.12.2011 - 18:38
ADarkerSoul

Really like this album...some quite brilliant material
02.01.2012 - 19:04
RavenousBeast

Pretty much a great release. Not very heavy, not very METAL in it's traditional essence, but a great listen.
16.04.2012 - 00:19
musicalkaratekid

I saw AAL as main support for meshuggah at nottingham rock city, and had no idea what to expect. Thing is, they are an instrumental band, and whilst it works brilliantly for them on record, i wasn't sure if the same effect and atmosphere would be reproduced in a live environment. However, it was absolutely fucking epic. Each member looked as if they loved what they were doing, showing real passion that isn rarely a highlight of any metal concert nowadays. More to the point, 'Weightless', while not quite as immediately breathtaking as the band's self-titled debut, still manages to hit the wow factor sitting comfortably in my mind. It seems the band took a lighter and more soulful route musically this time round, but such exhilirating tracks as 'Isolated incidents' and 'To lead you to an overwhelming question' keep the listener occupied and more than satisfied. The only thing i could say is that the shorter songs could be more effective by being lengthier, but even they have their own way of impressing their fans and defying the critics.
05.06.2012 - 05:04
Rating: 6
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I found this just really boring, lots of jumbled notes together with no real structure (No, I don't care about how you can hear it or feel it or whatever)

Like a mellow Brain drill.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 15103 | This month: 31