Metal Storm logo
A Quick Guide For Thrash Metal, Sex, And Tacos!

Thrash Metal is, and will always be my favorite type of music. No matter how many sub-genres or idiotic names some bands give to their music style, they'll never reach the complex "simplicity" of Thrash metal. It's raw, heavy, fast, aggressive, and has a historical impact that probably no other type of heavy metal style will ever reach.

Thrash Metal can speak about anything, think about almost any subject and I'm sure you'll find a band covering it, it doesn't matter if it is love, hate, life, death, heaven, hell, heroes, villains, politics, comic books, religion, sex, war, high-tech, movies, books, history or whatever you can think about, there is a Thrash metal band and song waiting for you, ALWAYS.

The problem with Thrash is that it is one of the oldest and most explored genres in metal, there is a lot of material to listen and many great bands may pass overlooked just because they are not as famous as some other well-known bands or maybe the contrary, some people think that just because it's Thrash it must be treated as the second coming of the Christ, even if it is not good or creative as it should be to be considered as such.

That's why I wanted to help anyone who's interested in exploring the huge amount of albums that have been released since some bands started releasing music that some people call "proto-thrash". I'm not saying that this is the ultimate list of Thrash metal albums EVARRR, nor I am saying that this albums are the best of the bands displayed here, as I said, I just want to help some people to choose an album iconic or representative from each band. Discovering the rest of every discography shown here is up to the ones who want some more music to enjoy.

To make things easier I picked just one iconic album of my own choice for each band, all of them featured on Metal Storm for further investigation, so, sadly, there are no bands that aren't featured in this web. The rest is easy, listen to the chosen album, and if you like what you hear, you can buy or stream some more albums of that band.
I know that some "famous" albums from well-known bands are not in this list, also there are albums that are not Thrash strictly talking, but trust me, I have a reason for each and every album to be in this list, and listening to them will give you a broader understanding of the evolution and development of Thrash metal.

If you have any comments, suggestions or simply want to tell me how idiot I am for not including your favorite album, drop a comment down below.

It's time to enjoy, bang your head, and never stop the mosh!!!

Created by: Daggon | 12.08.2011

1. Venom - Welcome To Hell
2. Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
3. Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
4. Metal Church - Metal Church
5. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
6. Abattoir - Vicious Attack
7. Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
8. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
9. Destruction - Infernal Overkill
10. Slayer - Hell Awaits
11. Possessed - Seven Churches
12. Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
13. Whiplash - Power And Pain
14. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
15. Détente - Recognize No Authority
16. Exumer - Possessed By Fire
17. Flotsam & Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver
18. Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy
19. Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
20. Nuclear Assault - Game Over
21. Tankard - Zombie Attack
22. Onslaught - The Force
23. Slaughter - Strappado
24. Anthrax - Among The Living
25. Assassin - The Upcoming Terror
26. Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
27. D.R.I. - Crossover
28. Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery
29. Intruder - Live To Die
30. Living Death - Protected From Reality
31. Messiah - Extreme Cold Weather
32. Testament - The Legacy
33. Voivod - Killing Technology
34. Toxik - World Circus
35. Anacrusis - Suffering Hour
36. Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
37. Holy Terror - Mind Wars
38. Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What?
39. Mekong Delta - The Music Of Erich Zann
40. Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
41. Razor - Violent Restitution
42. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
43. Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
44. Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
45. Wargasm - Why Play Around
46. Evildead - Annihilation Of Civilization
47. Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
48. Gammacide - Victims Of Science
49. Lääz Rockit - Annihilation Principle
50. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
51. Sodom - Agent Orange
52. Watchtower - Control And Resistance
53. Wehrmacht - Biermacht
54. Xentrix - Shattered Existence
55. Annihilator - Never, Neverland
56. Artillery - By Inheritance
57. Atrophy - Violent By Nature
58. Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
59. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
60. Sacred Reich - The American Way
61. Sadus - Swallowed In Black
62. Coroner - Mental Vortex
63. Fear Of God - Within The Veil
64. Heathen - Victims Of Deception
65. Invocator - Excursion Demise
66. Overkill - Horrorscope
67. Tourniquet - Psycho Surgery
68. Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence
69. Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
70. Believer - Dimensions
71. Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
72. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
73. Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack
74. Strapping Young Lad - City
75. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
76. Apocalyptica - Cult
77. Nevermore - Dead Heart, In A Dead World
78. Ulysses Siren - Above The Ashes
79. Hirax - The New Age Of Terror
80. Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
81. Violator - Chemical Assault
82. Evile - Enter The Grave
83. Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying
84. Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost
85. Bonded By Blood - Feed The Beast
86. Exodus - Let There Be Blood
87. Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain
88. Helstar - The King Of Hell
89. Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose Of Death...
90. Children - Hard Times Hanging At The End Of The World
91. Havok - Burn
92. Sacrifice - The Ones I Condemn
93. Vektor - Black Future
94. Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
95. Acrassicauda - Only The Dead See The End Of The War
96. Altars Of Destruction - Gallery Of Pain
97. Midnight - Satanic Royalty
98. Sacred Ally - Reality Hammer
99. Deathhammer - Onward To The Pits
100. Lich King - Born Of The Bomb

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Daggon ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 39   Visited by: 458 users
12.08.2011 - 18:25
Fat & Sassy!

Aaaaaaawwwwww YEAH. >:[
12.08.2011 - 18:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Finally a good thrash list
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.09.2011 - 08:32
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2011 at 18:41

Finally a good thrash list

Thanks dude, there are a lot of missing albums, but I'll work about that later
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
09.09.2011 - 01:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Good list, but i think he got the wrong Exodus at #7...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.09.2011 - 08:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 09.09.2011 at 01:17

Actually I think he did it on purpose and I don't really blame him for it . (OHHH MY HE DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT !! says your mind while reading this)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.10.2011 - 08:27
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.

Yeah, actually I did it on purpose, don't get me wrong, I freaking love "Bonded By Blood", but I think that the re-recording of their debut sounds perfect as an introduction to the band, actually it was quite hard for me to choose an album to put here, all of them are pretty solid, and all of them have great singers, so, I think that "Let There Be Blood" is a nice blend between the old and the new Exodus, an ideal example of what they are, before and after.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
08.11.2011 - 06:06
JÄY
Metal slave
Any list with Holy Terror on it, wins my vote.
20.12.2011 - 18:26
Amo del Merol

Where is Dr. Living Dead???
09.04.2012 - 04:38
Lit.
Account deleted

But, seriously: No Aspid or Cautiva?
30.04.2012 - 06:11
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I'll try to put some more bands on the list, but I've been quite busy this days and without internet, so it is quite hard for me to refresh it, but I'll try to include more bands sooner or later.
----
31.07.2012 - 02:10
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Hmmm.... have you ever thought about some first wave black metal?

And (really) I'm surprised not to see Reign in Blood here
31.07.2012 - 12:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Great to see Hell Awaits instead of the too overused Reign In Blood. I have to be "that guy" though... Why is Death here? It's way off compared to everything else since it's... well... Not thrash (not death metal either, just extreme prog).

But overall great shit here... Detente, Voivod, Coroner, etc... Nice. Will definitely check out a couple of albums I don't know.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.08.2012 - 16:46
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I'm glad that some of you enjoy the bands I included, I have internet service again so now I can stay here in Metal Storm more often, so I'll try to refresh this sooner or later.
----
22.11.2012 - 08:30
JCJen7

Came for the sex and tacos, stayed for the thrash. Awesome list.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
20.12.2012 - 06:38
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
As you can see, I uptaded the list (finally!), I added some albums I've been listening recently and some others I discovered since I first started to write this list, so, as you can see, there are 30 more albums in the roster. Also I re-written the initial text so everybody can see what is this all about.
Now to answer some questions:

Written by Amo del Merol on 20.12.2011 at 18:26

Where is Dr. Living Dead???

As I said before, I only added albums from bands that are in the database of Metal Storm, if you work on the profile of Dr. Living Dead, I would be glad to add their debut album which is better than their new release.

Written by Guest on 09.04.2012 at 04:38

But, seriously: No Aspid or Cautiva?

1. I find one problem with Aspid, their songs are in Russian, "Extravasation" is a really cool album, but not many people know Russian out of their native country
2. Cautiva's debut album is quite ambitious to be a one-man project, but it's not a big deal considering other albums from that year or genre, this list is meant to find something useful and special from each album, my objective is not to add every single "great" album that is released for the sake of it, that's why I did not added it.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 31.07.2012 at 12:14

Great to see Hell Awaits instead of the too overused Reign In Blood. I have to be "that guy" though... Why is Death here? It's way off compared to everything else since it's... well... Not thrash (not death metal either, just extreme prog).

I added "Hell Awaits" because of that, everyone knows "Reign In Blood", it's probably the most iconic Thrash metal album since it was released, but even if it is that good, I find it kinda repetitive sometimes. "Hell Awaits" is diverse, is different, every song has something to offer, it's not fast or heavy for the sake of being fast and heavy, it shows a band that wanted something special and even "evil". When it comes to Slayer earlier career I always have problems choosing albums, but "Hell Awaits" will always be my favorite choice.

Now, maybe Death's "The Sound Of Perseverance" is not Thrash strictly talking, I know it and maybe the debate will always be open, but I added some other albums that are not pure Thrash, I wanted to show how diverse can be the genre, taking influences from Black metal, Death metal, Hardcore punk, Progressive metal, US Power metal and so on, that's why I find "The Sound Of Perseverance" very educative, also is a great "thrashy" choice considering the lack of Thrash in the mid 90's.

I'll try to add some more albums and other things to make this list better in every way.
Keep on headbanging and never stop the mosh!!!
----
20.12.2012 - 06:50
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Remember kids, not everything that is labeled as Thrash metal is as good as they want you to believe, that's why I won't add every single Thrash metal album featured in Metal Storm, lol.
----
20.12.2012 - 08:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great list.
20.12.2012 - 09:38
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 20.12.2012 at 08:55

Great list.

Thanks, I'll try to add some more iconic albums now that I have some vacations. Enjoy
----
20.12.2012 - 12:14
Aristarchos

My favourite thrash album, besides Metallica's 80's album, is Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum. They started as a thrash (or death/thrash) band. Num Skull - Ritually Abused and Poison - Into The Abyss (death/thrash) are other personal favourites.
15.01.2013 - 23:18
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Daggon on 07.10.2011 at 08:27

Yeah, actually I did it on purpose, don't get me wrong, I freaking love "Bonded By Blood", but I think that the re-recording of their debut sounds perfect as an introduction to the band, actually it was quite hard for me to choose an album to put here, all of them are pretty solid, and all of them have great singers, so, I think that "Let There Be Blood" is a nice blend between the old and the new Exodus, an ideal example of what they are, before and after.

Fucking knew it, don't worry man. I got the same opinion on this, I love the old Bonded, but I think that Let There Be Blood is just great. Also, I know alot of people will hate my guts for this but I prefer the new vocals. Im not saying I prefer the new singer as a person LOL Just the vocals. Oh yeah and your List kicks ass.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.05.2013 - 20:13
Erik M.

This is the first thrash list I'm giving my thumbs up. Why? Because this seems like a very well-compiled list of thrash albums. And let's be honest, for a non-thrash fan as myself who is still interested in the genre, Guib's list is just too overwhelming for me. This list is going in my favourites bar.

How about visiting my debut albums list (if you haven't done so already) and recommend me essential thrash debut albums? Marcel and Guib have already done this so there are definitely some essential thrash debuts already on the list. Thanks in advance.
27.05.2013 - 05:49
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Erik M. on 10.05.2013 at 20:13

This is the first thrash list I'm giving my thumbs up. Why? Because this seems like a very well-compiled list of thrash albums. And let's be honest, for a non-thrash fan as myself who is still interested in the genre, Guib's list is just too overwhelming for me. This list is going in my favourites bar.

How about visiting my debut albums list (if you haven't done so already) and recommend me essential thrash debut albums? Marcel and Guib have already done this so there are definitely some essential thrash debuts already on the list. Thanks in advance.

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it, I've been updating it over the last week, so you may find some great debuts that I added to the list, I can assure you that almost every debut on this list is top-notch material
I think Guib's list is better for someone who's been more time into Thrash, it helps to keep track of some releases that may pass overlooked, which happens a lot.
I'll check your list, I'm sure I've missed a lot of great debuts over the last three years because of my work, so I'm sure I'll find something great.
Remember, never stop the mosh!
----
28.05.2013 - 21:09
Erik M.

Written by Daggon on 27.05.2013 at 05:49

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it, I've been updating it over the last week, so you may find some great debuts that I added to the list, I can assure you that almost every debut on this list is top-notch material
I think Guib's list is better for someone who's been more time into Thrash, it helps to keep track of some releases that may pass overlooked, which happens a lot.
I'll check your list, I'm sure I've missed a lot of great debuts over the last three years because of my work, so I'm sure I'll find something great.
Remember, never stop the mosh!

This list is becoming quite long as well now, haha. Although I'd appreciate it if you'd recommend me great debuts on my list: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2645

Since I'm into doom and black metal a lot, there are a lot of doom and black metal albums on the list. I'm aiming to at least have the essentials for most other subgenres as well, including thrash of course. As I said, Marcel and Guib recommended me a significant amount of great thrash debuts already. Now, give me the essentials!
07.06.2013 - 01:43
SyFFiLiS

What do you think about adding some Mortal Sin album? "Face of Despair" and "Mayhemic Destruction" sounds pretty awesome to me. PS: I would rather choose "Think This" than "World Circus". Of course I like "World Circus" too, but I consider "Think This" as a true masterpiece.
08.06.2013 - 03:29
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by SyFFiLiS on 07.06.2013 at 01:43

What do you think about adding some Mortal Sin album? "Face of Despair" and "Mayhemic Destruction" sounds pretty awesome to me. PS: I would rather choose "Think This" than "World Circus". Of course I like "World Circus" too, but I consider "Think This" as a true masterpiece.

I updated the list almost a week ago, and I thought about adding Mortal Sin to the list, they are one of the few Australian Thrash metal bands that are worth adding (same for Destroyer 666), but I wanted to review their earlier albums before adding any one of them to the list.

Toxik are one of those bands that causes me some trouble, choosing between their albums is quite hard, "World Circus" and "Think This" are both masterpieces, so it's not easy to make a choice, but, as I said, the point was to give the band a place on the list and let everyone to go deeper into their discography, who know, I may change some albums in the future, as I said, I had the same problem with bands like Anacrusis, Holy Terror and Sabbat.
----
08.06.2013 - 17:03
SyFFiLiS

Written by Daggon on 08.06.2013 at 03:29

I updated the list almost a week ago, and I thought about adding Mortal Sin to the list, they are one of the few Australian Thrash metal bands that are worth adding (same for Destroyer 666), but I wanted to review their earlier albums before adding any one of them to the list.

Toxik are one of those bands that causes me some trouble, choosing between their albums is quite hard, "World Circus" and "Think This" are both masterpieces, so it's not easy to make a choice, but, as I said, the point was to give the band a place on the list and let everyone to go deeper into their discography, who know, I may change some albums in the future, as I said, I had the same problem with bands like Anacrusis, Holy Terror and Sabbat.

So, good luck with writing reviews then and of course I'm looking forward to seeing them. Also I'm curious which one of their album you will add to the list (Mortal Sin). I will be checking it from time to time.

I agree, both Toxik's albums are masterpieces, but, as I said, I prefer "Think This", maybe it's all about that artwork, which I really admire. And if it's going about Sabbat, I'm not surprised that you have the same problem, after all, "Dreamweaver" is a pretty masterwork album too.

To sum up, thrash metal is also my favourite type of music. It took me some time to realize that, but here I am. I fully agree with your view of it, I couldn't describe it better and I must say that your list is great. Recently, I decided to explore thrash genre deeper and your list really helped me discover some great bands. And it's still helping me all the time. I hope you will keep updating it. What I want to say is that I really appreciate your work and I just want to thank you. Oh, and I simply want to tell you how idiot you are not for including "Victims of Deception"

PS: Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
22.09.2013 - 00:55
Erik M.

This is easily one of the most helpful lists on the site. Of course I know that I've been here before, but I just used your list to search for great thrash debuts (and I found a lot of those that are still missing from my own list), seeing as you yourself said that everything on this list is top-notch material. In the following months, I'll be adding those gradually but I'll let you know once I added all of them.
22.09.2013 - 16:10
Zap
The tacos were a lie.
But thumbs up for including Night Of The Stormrider in a thrash list. It's definitely a thrashy album.
03.10.2013 - 00:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Sup Daggon, did you listen to Lost Society's ''Fast Loud Death'' ? Thought you might wanna
add it even though its pretty recent. Personally I loved it.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
18.10.2013 - 22:17
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Erik M. on 22.09.2013 at 00:55

This is easily one of the most helpful lists on the site. Of course I know that I've been here before, but I just used your list to search for great thrash debuts (and I found a lot of those that are still missing from my own list), seeing as you yourself said that everything on this list is top-notch material. In the following months, I'll be adding those gradually but I'll let you know once I added all of them.

I'm quite glad that most people seem to enjoy this list, I made it on that purpose, to help people to get into the most notorious bands of the Thrash metal scene, which sometimes can be huge task haha. Feel free to check them out, many albums in this list are debuts, but some other albums are great follow-ups of their great debut, so try to check those too! Your list is great, quite helpful to check some bands I didn't know.

Written by Zap on 22.09.2013 at 16:10

The tacos were a lie.
But thumbs up for including Night Of The Stormrider in a thrash list. It's definitely a thrashy album.

Yeah, maybe some day I'll add the tacos, sorry
I added that album because at least in my opinion, it is Thrash enough, probably one of the most Thrashy metal albums of the US Power Metal scene, a great reason to add it to the list. Thanks for your thumbs up

Written by Guib on 03.10.2013 at 00:15

Sup Daggon, did you listen to Lost Society's ''Fast Loud Death'' ? Thought you might wanna
add it even though its pretty recent. Personally I loved it.

To be honest, I listened to it only once, and I thought it was good, at first I thought it was just another Thrash metal cliché by Nuclear Blast (it even has a cover artwork by Ed Repka haha). I think I'll give it another try today, I'll let you know what I think.
----

Hits total: 15043 | This month: 17