07. Hold Me In Your Arms
08. Wanna Be God [Dedicated To Freddie Mercury]
09. Straight Out Of Hell
10. Asshole
11. Years
12. Make Fire Catch The Fly
13. Church Breaks Down
14. Another Shot Of Life [Limited edition bonus]
15. Burning Sun [Hammond version] [Dedicated To Jon Lord] [Limited edition bonus]
16. No Eternity [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
With such a terribly generic name and quite mundane album cover, you might be excused for doubting the content of the German legends' fourteenth original studio album. Those that have kept on the ball with Helloween in recent years however, will know that the band have been on remarkably good form and will certainly not judge this proverbial book by the cover.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2013 | Comments (52)

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 118   Visited by: 1258 users
18.01.2013 - 16:46
Rating: 10
RPDGrubby
Straight Out Of Hell is amazing...perfect...is trully a masterpiece
18.01.2013 - 17:46
Rating: 8
R Lewis
You're an ASSHOLE!
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
18.01.2013 - 18:01
Rating: 9
Unna Med
That shit is heavy. Their best...since the Keeper, I guess.
----
Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
18.01.2013 - 18:05
Mountain King
K i K o
The ballad "Hold Me In Your Arms" is great. Better than any ballad they did recently and way better than "Smile OF The Sun"...
18.01.2013 - 19:56
Metal Invader
I was listening to the album a couple of times now and I like it very much!
Lyrics and music are great..The only criticism I have on two tracks
1.Live Now!
2.Wanna Be God
And small remarks goes for too small variety among speedy songs(imo)
All in all this is for me a great album!
18.01.2013 - 22:53
renai
Great listening, at least over my expectation.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
19.01.2013 - 02:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mountain King on 18.01.2013 at 18:05

The ballad "Hold Me In Your Arms" is great. Better than any ballad they did recently and way better than "Smile OF The Sun"...

I actually didn't think "Hold Me In Your Arms" was anything special, until I adjusted the pitch so that it was in standard tuning... and then all of a sudden it was transformed into an awesome ballad! I really like "Smile Of The Sun"... though that song was a grower for me. I didn't think much to it initially.

About the album's longevity, I think it will have it for one fundamental reason: It's a very dynamic album. There's a lot of different sounds and flavours to the album, so it's likely it will never get repetitive, or dull to listen to in it's entirety.
19.01.2013 - 06:21
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I'm only four songs deep on this beast and I already love it WAY more than 7 Sinners. Not that the aforementioned was a poor effort, I just couldn't get it up for that album. WOO!
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.01.2013 - 08:36
Patrick.
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.01.2013 at 02:50

About the album's longevity, I think it will have it for one fundamental reason: It's a very dynamic album. There's a lot of different sounds and flavours to the album, so it's likely it will never get repetitive, or dull to listen to in it's entirety.

Hmm, yeah I think you're right. It makes sense!
19.01.2013 - 12:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
I definitely agree. That's the only problem I had with the previous one, it was fantastic at the time and a bit edgier but didn't have the longevity that I'm guessing this one will have. Time will tell.
19.01.2013 - 14:34
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.01.2013 at 02:50

Written by Mountain King on 18.01.2013 at 18:05

I actually didn't think "Hold Me In Your Arms" was anything special, until I adjusted the pitch so that it was in standard tuning... and then all of a sudden it was transformed into an awesome ballad! I really like "Smile Of The Sun"... though that song was a grower for me. I didn't think much to it initially.

I like that Deris is not singing in high pitch on this ballad cause he is really good at low octaves when it comes to ballads and the mid section piano part is really good. Smile of the sun was okay, maybe the production spoiled it. When I think of Helloween with Deris ballads, I think of "In The Middle Of The Heartbeat", "Forever And One", "Light The universe" "Time" and definitely not "The Smile Of The Sun"...
19.01.2013 - 14:47
Rating: 7
Snbn
Listened the album 6 times full and got say that next time i listen this next button gonna be pushed on these songs : Live Now!, Waiting for the Thunder, Hold Me in Your Arms, Wanna be God and Asshole.

Live Now! : I dont get it why this song is on the album. So boring chorus and nothing special on the song.
Waiting for the Thunder : Trying to be If I Could Fly 2.....
Hold Me in Your Arms : Never get these ballads on every fucking power metal albums. So cheezy to get pussy.
Wanna be God: Worst song from Helloween since Chameleon album
Asshole: why why why?????
19.01.2013 - 15:25
Nemo Atkins
I'm one of the unlucky ones: my copy doesn't arrive until the 28th.

That said, this is a kickass album, judging from the three songs I've heard of it on the internet. I wasn't overly fond of "Nabataea" when I first heard it, but I love it now, "World Of War" sounds pretty solid and "Live Now!" (calling it now: title for next Helloween live album) is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Probably not going to be better than 7 Sinners for me (I love just about every track off that one), but it definitely starts on a higher note than 7 Sinners did ("Where The Sinners Go" wasn't a bad starter to the album, but it definitely wasn't a great song).
19.01.2013 - 15:53
Metal Invader
Written by Snbn on 19.01.2013 at 14:47

Listened the album 6 times full and got say that next time i listen this next button gonna be pushed on these songs : Live Now!, Waiting for the Thunder, Hold Me in Your Arms, Wanna be God and Asshole.

Live Now! : I dont get it why this song is on the album. So boring chorus and nothing special on the song.
Waiting for the Thunder : Trying to be If I Could Fly 2.....
Hold Me in Your Arms : Never get these ballads on every fucking power metal albums. So cheezy to get pussy.
Wanna be God: Worst song from Helloween since Chameleon album
Asshole: why why why?????

Imo on every album after Keeper albums they have one or two songs when i ask myself WHY!?
So im used to this kind of songs now (for me that is not Asshole..its Live Now! and Wanna Be God) but that is matter of taste imo!
19.01.2013 - 17:54
Rulatore
The chorus on "Burning Sun" reminds me of another power metal band, I don't know where I heard something like that before, sounds a bit like Rhapsody.
19.01.2013 - 18:55
Metal Invader
Written by Rulatore on 19.01.2013 at 17:54

The chorus on "Burning Sun" reminds me of another power metal band, I don't know where I heard something like that before, sounds a bit like Rhapsody.

I have the same problem with No Eternity(japanese bonus track)..i heard that chorus but not necessarily in metal song but its almost the same
and now its killing me cos i cant remember where i heard it!:)
19.01.2013 - 21:30
Stratoman
Without a doubt this album is an awesome follow-up to 7 Sinners which was also a great success of Helloween (which is one of my favourite bands). When I first hear Nabataea single I was kind of disappointed (I guess many of you haven't noticed as previous comments don't mention it) as the rythm guitars are a copy (or recycled version) of "The king of 7 eyes" of Andi Deris solo album "Come in From the Rain" in 2000 (if I'm not mistaken, take the time to listen to that album if you haven't some good songs are worth it), also Make Fire Catch the Fly has some items similar to that same song. Nevertheless, Nabataea has some awesome parts like the slow bridge when the song is about to end (I guess after two spins more both songs will grow on me).
Now the good (or perhaps excelent) songs of the album I, without a doubt would state that Straight Out of Hells is my favourite song of the album and an excellent choise for the album title.
Second place would be Far from the Stars (even if the lyrics are followed by Waiting for the Thunder, World of War and Burning Sun (which fight fiercely for the second place, I agree with one comment said before of Halford vocals style in Painkiller, somehow it reminded me the same). No doubt helloween returned in 2013 with a fast mind raping album, fast drums and riffs in most of the songs are proof of that, even lytics are more aggresive and elaborated than some of the songs in 7 Sinners (like If a Mountain Could Talk, Are You Metal or Raise the Noise, which I have to admit, even if lyrics are not complex and don't say much I enjoy a lot, the three of them).
Only two songs have not made it for me, as many have said before, I Wanna Be God (which is a song dedicated to Freddie Mercury, only because of the drumming and riffs "We will Rock You" style) and Live Now! which is not the worst from Helloween but is not in harmony with the other items presented in the album. I have to add that I haven't found No Eternity so that is why I did not include it so far.
Finally I have to say only one thing "Helloween Nailed it One More Time", hopefully will be One of the best albums of 2013.
----
Metal Is Made For All Men, But Not Every Man Is Made For Metal
19.01.2013 - 23:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mountain King on 19.01.2013 at 14:34
I like that Deris is not singing in high pitch on this ballad cause he is really good at low octaves when it comes to ballads and the mid section piano part is really good. Smile of the sun was okay, maybe the production spoiled it. When I think of Helloween with Deris ballads, I think of "In The Middle Of The Heartbeat", "Forever And One", "Light The universe" "Time" and definitely not "The Smile Of The Sun"...

"Smile Of The Sun" is a darker ballad, and so is very different in tone and feeling than the other Helloween ballads you mentioned. It's a very bleak lyric, and the music certainly is fitting for it. I do love the song now, but much like most of the other songs on "7 Sinners", it didn't initially click with me. It took 3 or 4 plays before I started to really love it.

In many ways, "7 Sinners" was like the natural spiritual successor of "The Dark Ride", as it really pushed the darker, heavier side of the band to the fore, in a very similar way to that album. In contrast, "Straight Out Of Hell" is almost to "7 Sinners", what "Rabbit Don't Come Easy" was to "The Dark Ride". A follow up that retains some of the darker nature of it's predecessor, but is overall brighter sounding, with a more optimistic and uplifiting tone.

As this line-up of the band has matured, the more assured it has become, and Sascha's very different sounding, and diverse compositions this time around shows that he's no longer "the new guy". As he now has the confidence to spread his wings musically, and offer ideas that are outside of the conventinal box, to the band. And more importantly, make them work within the Helloween framework. On paper, "Asshole" really should be an awful song, but it is in fact, one of the album's greatest triumphs, and helps give the album it's very fresh and dynamic feel.

Helloween somehow keep managing to stay on top of the power metal pile, and it's their dynamism, the not being afraid to step out of the box that they themselves helped create, which has helped them to do that. It is a very difficult thing to do, to stay true to your roots, whilst also experimenting, and trying new ideas, and even more difficult to do that and succeed. But Helloween have done this, and "Straight Out Of Hell" is perhaps the most assertive statement of that yet. Being able to marry the hulking, mechanized, futuristic pummel of prime Fear Factory, with a classic power metal attack as they do in "World Of War", is just one shining example of how they are able to reinvent themselves whilst retaining their core identity. It really is a great album!
20.01.2013 - 03:18
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.01.2013 at 23:12

Written by Mountain King on 19.01.2013 at 14:34

"Smile Of The Sun" is a darker ballad, and so is very different in tone and feeling than the other Helloween ballads you mentioned. It's a very bleak lyric, and the music certainly is fitting for it. I do love the song now, but much like most of the other songs on "7 Sinners", it didn't initially click with me. It took 3 or 4 plays before I started to really love it.

In many ways, "7 Sinners" was like the natural spiritual successor of "The Dark Ride", as it really pushed the darker, heavier side of the band to the fore, in a very similar way to that album. In contrast, "Straight Out Of Hell" is almost to "7 Sinners", what "Rabbit Don't Come Easy" was to "The Dark Ride". A follow up that retains some of the darker nature of it's predecessor, but is overall brighter sounding, with a more optimistic and uplifiting tone.

As this line-up of the band has matured, the more assured it has become, and Sascha's very different sounding, and diverse compositions this time around shows that he's no longer "the new guy". As he now has the confidence to spread his wings musically, and offer ideas that are outside of the conventinal box, to the band. And more importantly, make them work within the Helloween framework. On paper, "Asshole" really should be an awful song, but it is in fact, one of the album's greatest triumphs, and helps give the album it's very fresh and dynamic feel.

Helloween somehow keep managing to stay on top of the power metal pile, and it's their dynamism, the not being afraid to step out of the box that they themselves helped create, which has helped them to do that. It is a very difficult thing to do, to stay true to your roots, whilst also experimenting, and trying new ideas, and even more difficult to do that and succeed. But Helloween have done this, and "Straight Out Of Hell" is perhaps the most assertive statement of that yet. Being able to marry the hulking, mechanized, futuristic pummel of prime Fear Factory, with a classic power metal attack as they do in "World Of War", is just one shining example of how they are able to reinvent themselves whilst retaining their core identity. It really is a great album!

Anything that Helloween do is great, I never disliked any album and they are may fav Power Metal band for a reason . Although 7 Sinners was praised a lot and it is a solid album, I prefer other Deris albums over it...
20.01.2013 - 15:32
R Lewis
The intro for "Live Now!" reminds me pretty much Bon Jovi's "It's My Life"...
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
20.01.2013 - 19:55
Mountain King
K i K o
I love the progressive outro of "Church Breaks Down". Great riff with odd drumming. Love this band...
20.01.2013 - 22:45
quisableed
Account deleted
I didn't expect a thing like this. I really love it, they re still amazing
21.01.2013 - 21:45
Metal Invader
Quote:
Written by Lustful Maid on 21.01.2013 at 20:05

...but much like most of the other songs on "7 Sinners"...
...As this line-up of the band has matured, the more assured it has become...

-7 Sinners is good ? Everyone said it was bad except listeners in here. I have listened to it more than 10 times in order to find out why I was different from others.
-Last month a music shop assistant told me new Helloween album would be out soon, I asked him if 7 Sinners was sellable ? He told me zero so far in these 2 years. I was glad I am normal, not "different".
-7 Sinners is a heavy metal, sounds like Metallica's Death Magnetic, which is deliberately overproduced. Helloween played awful Heavy Metal. I hope this album is not another 7 Sinners.

Did I misunderstood or you called all of us not normal who like 7 sinners!?
I dont care cos "everyone" said its bad,cos i have my own opinion and i like it!
You dont and its ok (matter of taste imo,not "normality")
Straight Out Of Hell is imo great album which contains some elements of 7 Sinners and Gambling with the devil but you should listen to it and make you own opinion!Peace
21.01.2013 - 22:02
Nemo Atkins
Quote:
Written by Metal Invader on 21.01.2013 at 21:45

Written by Lustful Maid on 21.01.2013 at 20:05

...but much like most of the other songs on "7 Sinners"...
...As this line-up of the band has matured, the more assured it has become...

-7 Sinners is good ? Everyone said it was bad except listeners in here. I have listened to it more than 10 times in order to find out why I was different from others.
-Last month a music shop assistant told me new Helloween album would be out soon, I asked him if 7 Sinners was sellable ? He told me zero so far in these 2 years. I was glad I am normal, not "different".
-7 Sinners is a heavy metal, sounds like Metallica's Death Magnetic, which is deliberately overproduced. Helloween played awful Heavy Metal. I hope this album is not another 7 Sinners.

Did I misunderstood or you called all of us not normal who like 7 sinners!?
I dont care cos "everyone" said its bad,cos i have my own opinion and i like it!
You dont and its ok (matter of taste imo,not "normality")
Straight Out Of Hell is imo great album which contains some elements of 7 Sinners and Gambling with the devil but you should listen to it and make you own opinion!Peace

You just covered what I was going to say.
21.01.2013 - 22:18
Metal Invader
Quote:

Well i can not believe I have to defend my(and others) opinions!
21.01.2013 - 23:07
Nemo Atkins
Quote:
Written by Metal Invader on 21.01.2013 at 22:18

Yeah, the guy overstepped a mark or two by saying he was normal because he didn't like it. I was actually tempted to write a long post/rant pointing out every tiny flaw in his argument (including the fact that, in fact, there is a lot of positive praise for 7 Sinners across the web), but you saved me from having to do that. I'm seriously wondering whether that guy is a troll or not anyway...
21.01.2013 - 23:45
Metal Invader
Quote:
Written by Nemo Atkins on 21.01.2013 at 23:07

Written by Metal Invader on 21.01.2013 at 22:18

Yeah, the guy overstepped a mark or two by saying he was normal because he didn't like it. I was actually tempted to write a long post/rant pointing out every tiny flaw in his argument (including the fact that, in fact, there is a lot of positive praise for 7 Sinners across the web), but you saved me from having to do that. I'm seriously wondering whether that guy is a troll or not anyway...

I was thinking the same "to put him on the ground" but then i was saying to my self:what if i misuderstood him(cos my English is limited and steem was still blowing from my ears):) so i calm my self down first and then wrote
And yes its true that 7 Sinners have some good reviews from metal magazines and even high place on chart and good selling in some countries..but i say,he also have right to dislike the album but not to insult us who like it..thanx for support
22.01.2013 - 00:57
Nemo Atkins
Written by Metal Invader on 21.01.2013 at 23:45

I was thinking the same "to put him on the ground" but then i was saying to my self:what if i misuderstood him(cos my English is limited and steem was still blowing from my ears):) so i calm my self down first and then wrote
And yes its true that 7 Sinners have some good reviews from metal magazines and even high place on chart and good selling in some countries..but i say,he also have right to dislike the album but not to insult us who like it..thanx for support

To be honest, my first language is English and I could barely make sense of what he was saying anyway, it was that poorly phrased.

And I agree with you: if you dislike something, you have a right to say it. What you don't have a right to do is insult the people who do like it. It's something quite a few people do when they find something they don't like, but it's one of those things that really shouldn't be done. It's something a few people seem to forget when they use the internet and assume that, because it's not a face to face conversation, they can say what they want without repercussions. In fact, I find the opposite is true: you need to be more respectful online than offline because anyone can read what you say and, without the face to face contact, can interpret what you say in ways you genuinely didn't intend (for example, they might think you're being serious when you're not).
22.01.2013 - 04:04
Stratoman
Written by Nemo Atkins on 22.01.2013 at 00:57

To be honest, my first language is English and I could barely make sense of what he was saying anyway, it was that poorly phrased.

And I agree with you: if you dislike something, you have a right to say it. What you don't have a right to do is insult the people who do like it. It's something quite a few people do when they find something they don't like, but it's one of those things that really shouldn't be done. It's something a few people seem to forget when they use the internet and assume that, because it's not a face to face conversation, they can say what they want without repercussions. In fact, I find the opposite is true: you need to be more respectful online than offline because anyone can read what you say and, without the face to face contact, can interpret what you say in ways you genuinely didn't intend (for example, they might think you're being serious when you're not).

Probably the store that guy mentions is in the middle of a desert, such an unfair comment for songs like "Who is Mr. Madman" or "World of Fantasy"... Anyway I just listened to No Eternity and as many others I cannot believe how Live Now! made it to the album with this great song competing for a place...
I have spinned this album so many times I can't stop enjoying Straight Out of Hell, Burning Sun, Far From the Stars, Waiting for the Thunder, Church Breaks Down, Asshole and World of War though the others are good too they haven't grown on me yet... Nabataea defenitely is better in the album than in the single (But still feel the same when comparing to The King of 7 Eyes, same goes to Make Fire Catch the Fly).
----
Metal Is Made For All Men, But Not Every Man Is Made For Metal
22.01.2013 - 12:50
Metal Invader
Written by Nemo Atkins on 22.01.2013 at 00:57

That is so true mate!
I think he is just a kid and have to learn that kind of stuff(Obviously the hard way)

Hits total: 35721 | This month: 113