Disc II
01. Silence
02. The Order Of Destiny
03. Ignotum Per Ignotius

The Best Extreme Doom Metal Album Of 2008
Top 20 albums of 2008: 12

Additional info
Written and produced by Esoteric.
Engineered, mixed and mastered by Greg Chandler/Esoteric at Priority Recording Studios.
Vinyl master cut by Kevin Metcalfe at Soundmasters.
Artwork by Kati Astraeir.
Layout by Mauro Berchi.

Staff review by
jupitreas
Rating:
N/A
Who needs a soul anyway?

For the last 16 years or so and with every consecutive release, Esoteric get just a little bit closer to finally condemning us all to hell, and I personally respect any band with a disposition this sunny. The Maniacal Vale is not only another step in this tortured evolution - it is the band's ultimate masterpiece and an experience so overwhelming that it will completely blow the mind and shatter the senses. Yes, for all intents and purposes, this is a perfect album and one that will be remembered for a long time as a phenomenal achievement in every way.

Read more ››
published 11.07.2008 | Comments (40)

The Maniacal Vale is, in my humble opinion, the single most devastating release ever.

It lures the listener in with "Circle", which has possibly the most emotive opening ever written. Within moments, the mood has shifted completely and you find yourself spiraling downwards a column of fire. There is no escape, there is no return. A hundred minutes later your soul has completely perished and your now lifeless body will crave salvation. Alas, those that have visited the abyss are condemned to dwell in hellfire forever.

It is hellfire.

Lucas's picks | More picks ››

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 95   Visited by: 781 users
30.03.2012 - 17:07
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 05:35

Geez you guys, sounds to me like this is a must-listen. I will check it out this weekend and post my comments. Might be kinda cool to see what someone thinks of this that's not a fan of the genre (yet?). Plus, all of you know my musical tastes, or can check my profile!
Just to let you know till last year, I didn't get this album. I revisited it after really digging Paragon Of Dissonance, and found that The Maniacal Vale really is a great musical journey that is as crushing as it is elating. It's majestic.
----
loves 小巫
30.03.2012 - 21:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ag Fox on 30.03.2012 at 17:07

Just to let you know till last year, I didn't get this album. I revisited it after really digging Paragon Of Dissonance, and found that The Maniacal Vale really is a great musical journey that is as crushing as it is elating. It's majestic.

Good to see another opinion, can't wait to listen!
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 21:01
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by InnerSelf on 30.03.2012 at 11:45

I get a little bit too exited whenever someone mentions TMV

Kinda the same way I get when I hear the band Rosetta?
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 21:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2012 at 10:29

Hey I'm not saying anything every time you get acute k7-sism.

You have quite the diverse collection, love the 10 you gave Godflesh but you like Neurosis waaay more than I do
Weird because they are the fore-fathers of my favorite genre
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 21:31
Rating: 10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 21:21
You have quite the diverse collection, love the 10 you gave Godflesh but you like Neurosis waaay more than I do

Like Craig said in his article, Streetcleaner and TMV are pretty much in the same throne regarding crushing and merciless atmosphere.

And Through Silver In Blood is THE post-metal album by THE post-metal band for me. Every other album under the post-metal flag just doesn't cut it the same way for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2012 - 21:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2012 at 21:31

Like Craig said in his article, Streetcleaner and TMV are pretty much in the same throne regarding crushing and merciless atmosphere.
And Through Silver In Blood is THE post-metal album by THE post-metal band for me. Every other album just doesn't cut it the same way for me.

Oh, did you stop listening to Anathema after 2003?
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 21:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 21:36

...What?
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2012 - 21:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2012 at 21:37

Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 21:36

...What?

your Anathema collection...did you get the last two?
----
rekt
20.06.2012 - 01:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Would this be a good next step from Ahab?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 05:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 01:15

Not necessarily. Esoteric are very... different. Unique within funeral doom and within metal as a whole, their atmospheric/psychedelic approach to a monolithic, crushing funeral doom sound is unlike any other band. Ahab did stand out slightly from a lot of other funeral doom bands as well, but not in the same way. That being said, if you were able to acclimate to their production style and appreciate the depth of their songwriting then Esoteric will at least be easier to digest upon your first listen.

This for me is the ultimate doom metal album, though. So it's not something I recommend heartily as I feel it has the ability to taint the rest of the genre, similar to what Cult of Luna and Rosetta did to me for atmo-sludge/post-metal (and what Neurosis did for Mr. Doctor).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2012 - 05:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2012 at 05:05

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 01:15

Not necessarily. Esoteric are very... different. Unique within funeral doom and within metal as a whole, their atmospheric/psychedelic approach to a monolithic, crushing funeral doom sound is unlike any other band. Ahab did stand out slightly from a lot of other funeral doom bands as well, but not in the same way. That being said, if you were able to acclimate to their production style and appreciate the depth of their songwriting then Esoteric will at least be easier to digest upon your first listen.

This for me is the ultimate doom metal album, though. So it's not something I recommend heartily as I feel it has the ability to taint the rest of the genre, similar to what Cult of Luna and Rosetta did to me for atmo-sludge/post-metal (and what Neurosis did for Mr. Doctor).

Alright, I guess I save and then savour this. I really liked Ahab's COTWS, it was heavy and crushing, like a tidal wave (budumtss).

Any other recommendations then?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 09:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2012 at 05:05

Aaaah yeah, definitely agree with this. There's just way too much to appreciate in this beloved monster. One of my nine 10s.
Heh, Neurosis is also there with imo THE post-metal album: Through Silver In Blood. Nothing went the same after that one probably because I feel way too many bands are doing nothing special (90% of the post/atmo/sludge thread does nothing for me...), most of them repeating the formula based on Neurosis sound.

With Funeral Doom, at least I knew some other bands with their own approach before knowing Esoteric since Esoteric is way "out there" so it never was a band that really influenced the whole friggin genre like Neurosis did.

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 05:13
Alright, I guess I save and then savour this. I really liked Ahab's COTWS, it was heavy and crushing, like a tidal wave (budumtss).
Any other recommendations then?

Here are some titles that if you haven't checked out yet:
Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress (Very accessible but they are a band that many FDM bands take influence from, specially for the keys. It's probably the first band people say when thinking "Beautiful FDM")
Nortt - Gudsforladt (One of the bands that imo REALLY put emphasis on the word "funeral" as the atmosphere totally recalls the feeling of being in a cemetery at night)
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet (CLASSIC. nuff' said)
Colosseum - Chapter 1: Delirium (Oh man this shit is crushing and the vocals... Hard to get over the fact that they are no more)
Fungoid Stream - Oceanus (You like the ocean? Well... while Ahab plays with the "crushing" idea of the ocean. This band plays with the "ocean = our closest outer space" approach. Bizarre and brilliant.) Like Craig nicely put it in his Doom List: If Ahab drags you down, this the bottom of the sea.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.07.2012 - 15:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I just *insert sexual reference* everywhere while listening to this.

def, my fave track.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.12.2012 - 19:59
Evil Chip

I disvored Esoteric with Paragon too last year. People seem to really like this one so I'm gona see what it's like.
01.12.2012 - 20:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Evil Chip on 01.12.2012 at 19:59

I disvored Esoteric with Paragon too last year. People seem to really like this one so I'm gona see what it's like.

It's my favorite metal cd of the past decade. Love every minute of it. Hope you enjoy it! It's far more abrassive than the latest though. Keep your expectations low though, not because you might not like it (because if you like the latest I can't see how you won't like the rest of their discography)... but because it's just amazing to be blown away by music like this without expecting it to actually happen if you know what I mean.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2012 - 05:56
Evil Chip

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.12.2012 at 20:30

Written by Evil Chip on 01.12.2012 at 19:59

It's my favorite metal cd of the past decade. Love every minute of it. Hope you enjoy it! It's far more abrassive than the latest though. Keep your expectations low though, not because you might not like it (because if you like the latest I can't see how you won't like the rest of their discography)... but because it's just amazing to be blown away by music like this without expecting it to actually happen if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's even better than Paragon though It's really abrassive so I have to give it more spins. I kinda felt lost sometimes but I was blown away (heard only the first half)
02.12.2012 - 16:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Evil Chip on 02.12.2012 at 05:56

Yeah I know what you mean. It's even better than Paragon though It's really abrassive so I have to give it more spins. I kinda felt lost sometimes but I was blown away (heard only the first half)

The second half is slightly less abrassive with more atmospheric touches... and features one of the most psychedelic solos I've ever heard (The Order Of Destiny).
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2012 - 21:45
Evil Chip

This album keeps getting better and better with each listening. OMG Stahp!! ;_;
18.03.2013 - 04:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Esoteric.

Wat r u doin?

Esoteric.

Stahp.
18.03.2013 - 12:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.03.2013 at 04:46

Esoteric.

Wat r u doin?

Esoteric.

Stahp.

and what is the point you're trying to get across?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2013 - 13:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2013 at 12:46

Written by Guest on 18.03.2013 at 04:46

Esoteric.

Wat r u doin?

Esoteric.

Stahp.

and what is the point you're trying to get across?

Well, I thought it was good. Just a bit much to take in. Probably the longest album I've listened to yet.
02.05.2013 - 00:28
mz

This is definitely the least inaccessible album I have ever tried, not only because of the sheer length, but also the depth and the fact that TMV is surrounded by too many layers of hellish fire and tbh, I have never been able to listen to TMV in its entirely in one setting. Listening to this album needs great focus because there are too many things going on every single moment. Only this one and Tool's Lateralus come to fit the term of musical perfection in my book. The ultimate doom metal album for me. I should check out the rest of Esoteric discography but I'm afraid it would take me so long, if the rest of their album are as monstrous as this .
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
02.05.2013 - 01:47
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by mz on 02.05.2013 at 00:28

This is definitely the least inaccessible album I have ever tried,

So in other words, it's the "most accessible" album you've tried. Don't tell Esoteric that.
02.05.2013 - 02:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haha, that was a pretty good double negative there I have to say =P
02.05.2013 - 02:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haha, that was a pretty good double negative there I have to say =P
02.05.2013 - 03:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
That was a pretty good double post there Joe
02.05.2013 - 03:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah... that was intentional... really.
03.05.2013 - 12:01
mz

Written by Guest on 02.05.2013 at 01:47

Written by mz on 02.05.2013 at 00:28

This is definitely the least inaccessible album I have ever tried,

So in other words, it's the "most accessible" album you've tried. Don't tell Esoteric that.

Sorry, my fault, I first used "least accessible" term, if I remember correctly, but due to the fact that I was very tired, misread my own phrase as "most accessible",and thus edited to this stupid form (again, due to my tiredness). In my defense, I was half awake when I posted this, . For sure, I meant "least accessible" or "most inaccessible". Tnx for reminding.
----
03.05.2013 - 12:03
mz

----
04.05.2013 - 16:53
Diverge

An album that rewards the listeners that persevere and dare to relisten.

Hits total: 21055 | This month: 40