Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
10.10.2016 - 14:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Rhapsody of fire
Former musicians:
1993-1995 Andrea Furlan - bass #
1993-1995 Cristiano Adacher - vocals #
1993-1999 Daniele Carbonera - drums #
1993-2011 Luca Turilli - guitars #
1995-2001 Alessandro Lotta - bass #
1995-2016 Fabio Lione - vocals #
2000-2016 Alex Holzwarth - drums #
2003-2011 Patrice Guers - bass #
2011-2013 Tom Hess - guitars #
2011-2014 Oliver Holzwarth - bass #

How about Ivan re write code and makes looks foremer in year ored as they quit

2001-2005
1999-2007
2011-2012
2001-2016

I such way it would be better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.10.2016 - 16:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Ordering as they join seems far more logical to me. What with the joining year being on the far left and all
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.10.2016 - 16:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 10.10.2016 at 16:31

^Ordering as they join seems far more logical to me. What with the joining year being on the far left and all

not if you edit a lot
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2016 - 14:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MA has in discography ''other wesrions''

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Iron_Maiden/Iron_Maiden/413051

How about MS would fix something like this,
we keep original on main page and somehow any new v we seperatd under link , it would work, but then who would edit all and remembered about caps, tags and official sources
But IMO this sounds goo?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.10.2016 - 08:08
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Not came here to suggest anything. Just want to know there got to be reason behind using "Alt + S" rather than simply clicking on "Post Reply".

What's that fucking reason?!
28.10.2016 - 14:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 28.10.2016 at 08:08

Not came here to suggest anything. Just want to know there got to be reason behind using "Alt + S" rather than simply clicking on "Post Reply".

What's that fucking reason?!

Wow, I never noticed that. I guess my brain just decided to block it?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.10.2016 - 20:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Paz on 25.03.2016 at 20:49

What do you guys think about adding the headers to our profiles? It would be fun if you ask me.

Header images? Too facebook-ish and might see an influx of lot of shite from users and lead to total anarchy. =P

Also I like the uniform bg color of the site atm, don't want to see a ton of external images anyway.
29.10.2016 - 21:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Might take away space from the server
----

apos;'
[image]
31.10.2016 - 15:09
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 29.10.2016 at 21:01

Might take away space from the server

Well then lets keeps a minimum requirement of 200 or 250 community points so that only experienced and very active users can set it.

Having thought about it for sometime, it really sounds like a good suggestion to me.
09.11.2016 - 04:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
We should have a "refresh" button near bottom of the shoutbox so that we can new shouts rolling in. To do that, we have to refresh the entire fucking page.
09.11.2016 - 06:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.11.2016 at 04:52

We should have a "refresh" button near bottom of the shoutbox so that we can new shouts rolling in. To do that, we have to refresh the entire fucking page.

There is one. It's called "Shout". If you press it without typing anything, it refreshes the Shoutbox.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

09.11.2016 - 06:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 09.11.2016 at 06:32

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.11.2016 at 04:52

There is one. It's called "Shout". If you press it without typing anything, it refreshes the Shoutbox.

Thanks.

I really didn't know that.
16.01.2017 - 07:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
You folks need to bring back T-shirt giveaway contest as soon as possible. I miss so much that in few weeks, i'll be in delirium.

If possible, add merchandise tab under misc so we can have an option to buy items. It will be very convenient.
23.01.2017 - 08:41
Athropos
Burning inside
A few suggestions:

- Show the user's rating close to the average rating on bands' pages. I often find myself wondering which albums I've not rated yet for a given band. Right now I have to alternate between my list of votes and the band's discography.

- Move live albums to their own tab on bands' pages. To me, live albums deserve to be separated from all the other releases. Sometimes there are so many other releases that you have a hard time finding live albums.

- Let users be logged in from multiple devices. Now that the site is mobile-friendly, it's quite awkward that you can't be logged in at the same time on your computer and on your phone.

- Add HTTPS support. Accessing a non-secured account-based website from a publicly shared connection is a really bad idea. This one I know from the recent design update thread that it's somehow coming.
16.02.2017 - 13:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.01.2017 at 07:37

You folks need to bring back T-shirt giveaway contest as soon as possible. I miss so much that in few weeks, i'll be in delirium.

If possible, add merchandise tab under misc so we can have an option to buy items. It will be very convenient.

Oh, I remember those days.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.02.2017 - 00:31
nikarg
staff
I think that at least 50 votes should be required for an album to be listed in the Top 20 of the year (ideally 100 votes). My best argument for this is the laughable fact that right now the top album of 2015 has 20 votes and no.3 of the same year has 24 votes. The same joke also applies to the first 4 albums of 2014, the top album of 2013 and the list goes on and on..
28.02.2017 - 08:49
D.T. Metal
staff
Written by nikarg on 17.02.2017 at 00:31

I think that at least 50 votes should be required for an album to be listed in the Top 20 of the year (ideally 100 votes). My best argument for this is the laughable fact that right now the top album of 2015 has 20 votes and no.3 of the same year has 24 votes. The same joke also applies to the first 4 albums of 2014, the top album of 2013 and the list goes on and on..

very good point. I brought this up to the rest of the Staff and will let you know what can be done
28.02.2017 - 22:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
While up for debate with other staff, i don't mind going public with my two cents. I'm going to disagree.

just because a boatload of people haven't heard something doesn't mean it should be disqualified. looking over our awards there are a number of bands set to win their respective genres that don't have 100 ratings - or 50 in some cases. One of the bands set to win their category running away has more than 100 votes in the MSA's, going to win by about 40, but only 25 people have rated the album. Not good enough I guess.

maybe if a "laughable" 25 people have voted an album and it shows up on the top 10, it's a glowing neon sign that maybe more people need to check out the album.

sorry, but i don't think limiting yearly top 10s to only far more popular acts is worthwhile.just further pushes people away from checking out lesser known acts or album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.06.2017 - 19:13
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
A proper discussion on how to stop the rot. That discussion/thread should be created by staff and suggestions followed.
04.06.2017 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.06.2017 at 19:13

A proper discussion on how to stop the rot. That discussion/thread should be created by staff and suggestions followed.

It was like that in old days
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2017 - 21:32
treeshateorcs
Hi guys, I signed up just to ask this - why is there no RSS for upcoming releases? That'd be neat
28.09.2017 - 21:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by treeshateorcs on 28.09.2017 at 21:32

Hi guys, I signed up just to ask this - why is there no RSS for upcoming releases? That'd be neat

RSS wtf it stands for?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2017 - 21:49
treeshateorcs
I don't know what it stands for, but it's a thing you use for catching up with latest news. There are some feeds here http://www.metalstorm.net/home/rss.php but there's none for upcoming releases
28.09.2017 - 22:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by treeshateorcs on 28.09.2017 at 21:49

I don't know what it stands for, but it's a thing you use for catching up with latest news. There are some feeds here http://www.metalstorm.net/home/rss.php but there's none for upcoming releases

This=?
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/new_releases.php?upcoming=1
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2017 - 22:12
treeshateorcs
Exactly
28.09.2017 - 23:19
treeshateorcs
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2017 at 22:10

Written by treeshateorcs on 28.09.2017 at 21:49

This=?
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/new_releases.php?upcoming=1

^
17.10.2017 - 17:38
nikarg
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 28.02.2017 at 22:55

While up for debate with other staff, i don't mind going public with my two cents. I'm going to disagree.

just because a boatload of people haven't heard something doesn't mean it should be disqualified. looking over our awards there are a number of bands set to win their respective genres that don't have 100 ratings - or 50 in some cases. One of the bands set to win their category running away has more than 100 votes in the MSA's, going to win by about 40, but only 25 people have rated the album. Not good enough I guess.

maybe if a "laughable" 25 people have voted an album and it shows up on the top 10, it's a glowing neon sign that maybe more people need to check out the album.

sorry, but i don't think limiting yearly top 10s to only far more popular acts is worthwhile.just further pushes people away from checking out lesser known acts or album.

I can't really see the point of referring to the MSAs, since most times, even if an album is not that good, it wins its respective category if it is the new release of a popular band. If it is the extreme doom category you are referring to, as I suspect, then no band nominated there had more than 40 ratings anyway, so your argument doesn't prove anything (in fact 7 out of the 10 nominated albums have less than 15 ratings today). If there was a band nominated with a 100 ratings and the band with 25 ratings won the category by 40 votes then you would have a point. Also, the total of 106 votes that Eye Of Solitude got is the second lowest number of votes that earned a top place in a category in the 2016 MSAs. Their album rating is 7.9 and even though they won the category "running away" as you say, only 29 people have bothered rating it. Any popular band in this genre would have easily won it, even if they had released an album full of farts, it's just that no big name released anything or got nominated in the extreme doom category in 2016.

Just to make it clear, I used the term "laughable" about the phenomenon of albums being very high in the Top-20 lists with very few votes, I did not refer to the people voting for these albums. The way you quoted the word I used is misleading.

Finally, there are over 70000 members here and although many of them are not active or do not vote, it makes sense to just use 50 votes to include an album in the Top 20 instead of only 20 (50 out of 70000 is not exactly a "boatload"). Less popular stuff can be promoted via staff picks, threads in the forum, etc. and this way more people will find out about them, listen to them and vote for them. Numbers have their own significance and it's more valid to have 50 people rating something as being excellent rather than 20. Less popular stuff will always find the way to the Top-20, if they deserve it (Wormwood, a completely unknown band, now have 205 ratings for example).
17.10.2017 - 19:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by nikarg on 17.10.2017 at 17:38

Finally, there are over 70000 members here and although many of them are not active or do not vote, it makes sense to just use 50 votes to include an album in the Top 20 instead of only 20 (50 out of 70000 is not exactly a "boatload"). Less popular stuff can be promoted via staff picks, threads in the forum, etc. and this way more people will find out about them, listen to them and vote for them. Numbers have their own significance and it's more valid to have 50 people rating something as being excellent rather than 20. Less popular stuff will always find the way to the Top-20, if they deserve it (Wormwood, a completely unknown band, now have 205 ratings for example).

We agree to disagree.

70k... "many of them are not active or do not vote" - understatement of the year. Site has been around for how long? How many of those 70k have logged in and cast a vote this year? Let alone a significant amount of votes, enough to form a landscape of the year's releases?

How many are online NOW? 26. Staff included. Guests not, as they don't have voting perms. how many of those that vote are spambots or multis? accounts created just to rack up the rating for some albums or drag others down? Shit, I've probably nuked more than 100,000 votes, all in all since being promoted to the job of "Duke Nukem" by Jeff back in the day.

As for the best rising to the top... disagree.

As someone who hands out "green" reviews rather infrequently (8 of my past 70, and that is artificially inflated as work dominated my personal time and I seldom review, only doing albums I cherry pick or are courtesy of bands or labels I'm friends with... in other words, I've stopped doing spending a week each listening and writing about 20 bands I don't care if I ever hear again) ... I can say of the 8, 4 don't have 50 ratings yet. 3 don't even have 25, including Funeralium's "Of Throes And Blight", which I still think the best Extreme Doom album of the year.

It's funny you picked 50 as a threshold as about two and a half years ago I whipped up a list of 25 Hidden Gems - really solid if not great albums that don't yet have 50 votes/ratings. As of now, winner winner chicken dinner to ...And Oceans just hit 50 for "The Dynamic Gallery Of Thoughts". Several on that list were recent releases, were staff picked by me or others, were positively reviewed, were in the MSA's, won Staff Pick from the MSAs and still don't have 50.

Finally, whether 0, 25, 50 or 1000 as a threshold, it really doesn't matter. Despite the site laying out guidelines for voting (10 is PERFECT, 8 is Very Good, 6 is average, etc.) people still vote how THEY feel. Lost count of arguments I've had in PMs with vote inflaters that bring that up. I've actually been called "disrespectful to the artist" for scoring an album a low 7... (and am FB amigos and would defo meet up to knock back beers with artist whose work I scored a low 7... he doesn't seem disrespected.)

The whole rating system is screwed anyways. We've had users here whinge for "half" ratings (8.5) to score albums on one day, then whinge about reviewers arbitrarily rating albums ... fuck that. at least the reviewer, whether I agree with their opinion or not, has pounded out 250+ words on why they feel that way. Clicking a number from a drop down based upon your internal grading system and moving along, fire and forget style, offers nothing to validate whether or not an album is really actually any good.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.10.2017 - 14:12
nikarg
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 17.10.2017 at 19:07

We agree to disagree....

Actually we don't disagree as much as you think.

1) It's true that many users are not active. It is also true that many accounts are created to boost the ratings of a specific album and/or band (e.g. The SLoT). The result in that case was that many "real" users rated this band's albums very low, which is something they wouldn't have done, because they didn't care. Now The SLoT's ratings are around 5.5 (after many of the 10's were nuked) instead of 7 or 7.5 that was the case before.

2) You say that you made a list of 25 "really solid if not great albums that don't yet have 50 votes/ratings. Several on that list were recent releases, were staff picked by me or others, were positively reviewed, were in the MSA's, won Staff Pick from the MSAs and still don't have 50". This list is your opinion based on your preferences (and by "you" I mean any member of staff). If people don't vote for albums that you think are excellent, it is probably because they don't find them excellent and this is why they have not risen to the top. I personally don't vote if I don't care about an album. Your review of Funeralium, which was one of the best I have read here, made me listen to the album, but it's not for me so I didn't vote. I think people will listen to an album if they read a review or see a staff pick, but they will not necessarily vote if they don't like it or if it's not interesting to them. And this is how the best rises to the top. Not what you or me or anyone else thinks is best, but what the majority thinks is best.

I have my own example: I think that Human Serpent is the best new black metal act in the last five years. I added them to the database, reviewed two of their albums and even wrote something about them in the shoutbox (which I rarely use). One of the two albums I reviewed has 2 ratings and the other one 4 (including mine). Cultes Des Ghoules was the best black metal album last year imo and it only has 22 votes. It would be stupid of me to say that other people don't understand how awesome it is and my taste is better than theirs.

You might say that I am not staff and people wouldn't give two shits about what I say. But the same has happened to you. The same has happened with Che for example. He likes Pylar a lot. He wrote a very nice review of their album last year and gave it a 9. More than 300 users have read it. Only 10 voted. He staff-picked their new album yesterday. So far it has 3 votes and 1 of them is his. This does not mean that Pylar are the best band in the world and us idiots don't get it. It means that the majority here does not share Che's view. Plain and simple.

3) I agree with your comment about voting guidelines. 7 means "good", but many people seem unable to understand it and believe that a 7 rating means the album is crap (maybe a scale of 1-5, instead of 1-10 would solve many problems, including vote abuse, but that's another discussion - the request for "half" ratings (8.5) to score albums is plain ridiculous imo).

4) I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph and it is the reason why I take ratings with a pinch of salt. I don't even care about ratings in reviews, but I do care and pay attention to their content. It also pisses me off when someone comments on how high or low I have rated an album, when it is clear that he or she hasn't read the review at all.

So, as you can see we only disagree about the best rising to the top situation. I do think that sometimes a very good album can slip through and not get the recognition it deserves, but I don't think it's the rule; rather the exception. Popularity is not the only way to measure quality, but has to be taken into account. If 500 people have rated the x album as 8 and 20 people have rated the y album as 8, it cannot mean the same thing.

ps. sorry for the veeeery long text
11.01.2018 - 00:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have an update to rating colours?

It irks me that an album with an 8.5 rating is yellow, the same as a a 7 would be.

1-4.9 red, 5-6.9 orange, 7-7.9 yellow, 8-9.9 green and a 10 rating as white would be cool to see.

Just my opinion anyway.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS