Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
03.06.2012 - 06:37
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by psykometal on 02.06.2012 at 21:50
I'd probably set them to auto delete after like a month (or maybe 3 months tops).

+1
03.06.2012 - 20:31
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I think we need to update the way bands are suggested and added. I think when a band is suggested it must have all the current bandmembers, record label, band picture etc, then it will be added to a list, where staff members with the proper permissions look over it and accept it or delete it. I think that with it this way, more bands will get added, and there will be more complete band profiles. it's also easier on the staff members.

Just a thought.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.06.2012 - 20:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.06.2012 at 20:31
Just a thought.

The only difference there is that the info is already added. It still requires the... two of us who actually pay attention to the feature to go through every single suggestion manually.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 21:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2012 at 20:56

Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.06.2012 at 20:31
Just a thought.

The only difference there is that the info is already added. It still requires the... two of us who actually pay attention to the feature to go through every single suggestion manually.

Well this way, bands aren't added and then left empty, or close to it.

This way, all of the most crucial information is already listed. If the person has to put a source for each of the sections, so a source for the line-up or the label or whatever, then it's a simple click, some reading and cross checking, and boom, we have an almost complete band profile.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.06.2012 - 21:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.06.2012 at 21:01

That really isn't a deterrent, and definitely not why we currently have so many suggestions that haven't been looked at. The idea may be nice in terms of adding profiles that are already near completion, but at the end of the day this won't change the fact that we simply don't have the man power to sift through over 100 pages of suggestions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 21:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2012 at 21:05

Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.06.2012 at 21:01

That really isn't a deterrent, and definitely not why we currently have so many suggestions that haven't been looked at. The idea may be nice in terms of adding profiles that are already near completion, but at the end of the day this won't change the fact that we simply don't have the man power to sift through over 100 pages of suggestions.

I suppose you are right.

MS needs to start hiring
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.06.2012 - 21:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2012 at 20:56

Ya know, having an Activation queue for you and Johan to go through wouldn't be a bad idea. Instead of having that thread that you guys have to pilfer through, give all users access to the Activate option but instead of that activating the bands, it would put the band into a queue that you and Johan and whoever else has the Perm can go to and you guys can look over the info cross check it in your own ways and then either click Accept or Reject at th bottom of the page just like the Tour/Event submissions...

Edit: And also by doing this then when someone else tries to queue the band for Activation then they would get a site message stating the band is already waiting for Activation. And coud maybe even add a system that once a band is Rejected then it can't be queud for Activation again for like another a week which would force users to check the Edits page to see why you or Johan Rejected the band...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.06.2012 - 21:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 03.06.2012 at 21:39

Hmm... this actually doesn't sound like a bad idea, and it might improve efficiency in terms of accepting suggestions. PM Ivan and see what he thinks, if he can implement something. It's probably our weakest area of the site at the moment so anything to improve it would be much appreciated.
----
04.06.2012 - 02:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 03.06.2012 at 21:56

If someone gets the message "Rejected" he/she either will A) ...not edit again B) Will edit right away. | I don't really think that many would go with the C) Ok, I wait a week and edit after that.

Not necessarily. If there's anything I learned while trying to be the assistant FBC guy it was that several ppl are all about doing the edits for activation. And even still if they don't care enough after rejection to fix it then too fuckin' bad, obviously the band's activation wasn't important enough to them; but eventually someone will queue them back up for activation. And knowing Troy, providing the missing info isn't too hard to track down he'll do that on his own anyway, so unless someone submits a band with a lot of missing info or a lot of retarded bad info Troy and maybe Johan will do the little bit of extra leg work anyway like they already do.
----

04.06.2012 - 18:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 04.06.2012 at 18:57

FBC?

Featured Bands Chief. The position tht Troy used to perform (and still does to some degree) and that Azoic now holds...
----

06.06.2012 - 20:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 19:55
Possible to prolong that preview area?

I'd rather see front-page and album thread invisible space cleared up before this, but it's still a good suggestion.
----
08.06.2012 - 12:32
Svneatr
Vitharr
I dunno if it's just me, but I seem to have trouble sometimes picking a vote for albums. Sometimes I'm stuck in the middle. While I don't think it's necessary to have to nitpick the .1,.2,.3, etc. I do think that adding .5's to album ratings would be helpful for times when an 8 seems too high and a 7 seems too low.
08.06.2012 - 16:05
Ivor
Staff
Written by Svneatr on 08.06.2012 at 12:32

I dunno if it's just me, but I seem to have trouble sometimes picking a vote for albums. Sometimes I'm stuck in the middle. While I don't think it's necessary to have to nitpick the .1,.2,.3, etc. I do think that adding .5's to album ratings would be helpful for times when an 8 seems too high and a 7 seems too low.

How about we make it easier by keeping '+' and '-'? Or maybe FB style, only '+'. Old suggestion and not the one that's going to happen. Toss a coin or something, if you have trouble deciding.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
08.06.2012 - 17:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Ivor on 08.06.2012 at 16:05

Toss a coin or something, if you have trouble deciding.

This really is a pretty good decision making paradigm when there's only 2 options, I have used it several times myself before.

"Toss a coin, if you don't like the results then you know what you want"
-Me
----

08.06.2012 - 19:02
Ivor
Staff
Written by psykometal on 08.06.2012 at 17:56

"Toss a coin, if you don't like the results then you know what you want"
-Me

Exactly, that's the guideline I had in mind.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
11.06.2012 - 10:08
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 19:55

Possible to prolong that preview area?

Done.
11.06.2012 - 17:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 11.06.2012 at 17:45

Actually it seems like it went the other way around. It shrank.

Urm...yea...it did...
----

12.06.2012 - 10:22
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Guest on 11.06.2012 at 17:45

Written by Ivan on 11.06.2012 at 10:08

Done.

Actually it seems like it went the other way around. It shrank.

Eh, it worked in my browser (Chrome). How about now?
12.06.2012 - 22:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 12.06.2012 at 18:52

Screenshots (after entering the edit page):

Chrome
Firefox
IE (regular & 64-bit)

Clicking the preview button didn't prolong the box with any of those browsers.

In case this has something to do with Adobe's Flash Player, then it might be just something I'm experiencing, because the latest Adobe update didn't work for me. YouTube videos etc. suck at the moment. I have downloaded some older version, though haven't installed it yet. But I guess this isn't a Flash Player related issue?

Well I have looked at it with both FireFox and IE and it's the same length as the left side now for me. Before it had also shrunk for me but now looks longer...
----

13.06.2012 - 09:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
The Suggestions page is getting ridiculously out of control and over-populated. Maybe add a drop down box [or 2, for those bands that are a fusion genre like death/thrash or black/death] of the different main Styles the site uses that the submitter has to select from; might help to cut out a lot of the bullshit rock and electronica submissions that are plaguing that list (so what if you can't specify sub-genres like technical death metal and symphonic black metal). Also maybe add a time limit and minimum # of votes so that if the band hasn't amassed like 10+ votes in a 6 month time period then it auto deletes from the list. Also maybe add a -1 button, but the -1 doesn't subtract from the number of +1s, instead it creates a counter of this many people said +1 and this many said -1 (would look like this: The Beatles +5 -25) to make it easier for you guys in Staff to go through and determine what bullshit is being suggested that should probably be Blacklisted; cuz even with a drop down box some of these idiots around here will still try to be "ingenious" and label bands like 3 Doors Down and The Beatles as Metal just to get the name on the Suggestion list.
----

14.06.2012 - 03:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 13.06.2012 at 09:51
The Suggestions page

There really isn't any more effective suggestion to make other than suggesting more of us actively go through the feature and accept the bands.

That being said, Metal Storm is a content-based site. Our database is not comparable to the likes of... well, any other site basically. (As sad as it is to admit that.) We simply lack the manpower to keep up.
----
14.06.2012 - 04:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.06.2012 at 03:07

There really isn't any more effective suggestion to make other than suggesting more of us actively go through the feature and accept the bands.

That being said, Metal Storm is a content-based site. Our database is not comparable to the likes of... well, any other site basically. (As sad as it is to admit that.) We simply lack the manpower to keep up.

If you guys in Staff wouldn't mind giving me the Perm to add bands and/or delete/blacklist Suggestions then I'd be happy to bolster your manpower in this department and cut that list down a bit...
----

16.06.2012 - 06:38
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Is there any way we can view our own collection with the album covers as well? I think that would be cool. I like looking at album covers - especially those of my collection.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
19.06.2012 - 21:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Ok, it's getting really annoying having Articles, Reviews and Edits popping up in Updates that haven't even been approved yet. Am I the only one tired of seeing articales and reviews pop up and click to read them but get halted by Error! -This article/review hasn't been approved yet.; or did I just miss someone else bitching about it in here?
----

19.06.2012 - 21:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 19.06.2012 at 21:43
Ok, it's getting really annoying having Articles, Reviews and Edits popping up in Updates that haven't even been approved yet. Am I the only one tired of seeing articales and reviews pop up and click to read them but get halted by Error! -This article/review hasn't been approved yet.; or did I just miss someone else bitching about it in here?

To my understanding Ivan had fixed this issue - but apparently it's still an ongoing problem. :s
----
20.06.2012 - 02:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 21:47

To my understanding Ivan had fixed this issue - but apparently it's still an ongoing problem. :s

Well he might have fixed the Edits (now that I'm thinking about it I haven't seen unapproved Edits in a while) but I am still getting the Articles popping up...

And yea it was the Getting Into: Immortal article...
----

20.06.2012 - 10:35
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by psykometal on 20.06.2012 at 02:32

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 21:47

Well he might have fixed the Edits (now that I'm thinking about it I haven't seen unapproved Edits in a while) but I am still getting the Articles popping up...

And yea it was the Getting Into: Immortal article...

Fixed updates for articles.
25.06.2012 - 02:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ivan on 20.06.2012 at 10:35
Hey Ivan.

Is there a way we can block posts in specific threads from appearing while searching new posts?
----
26.06.2012 - 10:33
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.06.2012 at 02:15

Written by Ivan on 20.06.2012 at 10:35
Hey Ivan.

Is there a way we can block posts in specific threads from appearing while searching new posts?

Can you explain more the usefulness of this?
26.06.2012 - 15:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ivan on 26.06.2012 at 10:33
Can you explain more the usefulness of this?

There isn't any profound reasoning behind it - I just figure if we can block users, it would be great if we could block threads altogether.

To be honest here I'm just looking for a way to make the My Little Pony thread disappear from my screen.
----