01. The Lake
02. Black Hours
03. Born From Shadows
04. Come To Me
05. My Angel
06. Condemned
07. When All Is Black

Additional info
Recorded and mixed by Isole in 2011 at Studio Apocalypse.
Mastered and stem mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street.
Cover and layout by Gustavo Sazes.

Staff review by
White Winter Sun
Rating:
Born From Shadows is already the fifth album from Swedish epic doom metallers Isole (the band was initialy formed in 1990 under the name of Forlorn). Sadly and despite solid previous releases, the band is still not very well-known. Maybe this Born From Shadows will put a spotlight on this band who clearly deserves more recognition in the metal scene.

Read more ››
published 13.11.2011 | Comments (15)

Melancholy and disenchanted sadness + low/mid-tempo riffing + one of the best voices in the genre + a really good production = Born From Shadows or how to release a pure gem of Doom metal.

Definitely, Born From Shadows is among noteworthy Doom metal albums of 2011. Please do not miss this piece of pure melancholy from Swedish metallers Isole. A must to have, really.

White Winter Sun's picks | More picks ››

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 378 users
02.09.2011 - 22:29
Rating: 8
lord artan

Good news
04.09.2011 - 06:30
Rating: 9
SoulScarred

Great news finally
21.10.2011 - 21:31
JD
Account deleted
I finally found the right album.

I'm so gonna vote for it in the MS award this year, for the best Doom album.
21.10.2011 - 22:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 21:31

I'm really enjoying it, Isole never disappoint and this is IMO a step forward. I especially love the extreme parts and the blast beats on the second track caught me off-guard
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
21.10.2011 - 22:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I still haven't heard it, damnit.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2011 - 22:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I had no idea about this release. Am quite excited now.
21.10.2011 - 22:21
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.10.2011 at 22:10

I still haven't heard it, damnit.

Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 22:14

I had no idea about this release. Am quite excited now.

Get on it fast guys
----
is not bold enough
31.10.2011 - 09:08
silenius

Frikkin awesome
31.10.2011 - 09:54
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 21:31

Good 4 u, but since u liked the album, u gota check their back discography, cuz somehow i feel the previous albums were better than this one, not saying its not a good album, but Silent Ruins was a master piece back in 2009
31.10.2011 - 09:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Still haven't got around to this but I'm definitely not going to put it off for much longer. Even though I don't really love any of their albums they haven't really done anything to disappoint me either. One of those bands that I can listen to any song but I can't pick a favorite because they're all just...good, but not great. Maybe this album will change that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.10.2011 - 12:31
JD
Account deleted
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 31.10.2011 at 09:54

Good 4 u, but since u liked the album, u gota check their back discography, cuz somehow i feel the previous albums were better than this one, not saying its not a good album, but Silent Ruins was a master piece back in 2009

I already listened to all of their albums, I think the first two are my favorites, anyway I'd order them like this:

Throne Of Void > Forevermore > Born From Shadows > Silent Ruins > Bliss Of Solitude
31.10.2011 - 12:57
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.10.2011 at 09:58

One of those bands that I can listen to any song but I can't pick a favorite because they're all just...good, but not great.

I disagree with you. The songs that got me into this band is "Forevermore", and "Age Of Darkness"

My favorite songs on this album is probably "The Lake" and "Born From Sadows"

Now go check them, and tell me how my taste is shity.
03.11.2011 - 20:31
IronAngel

I don't care much for the generic growls that make it seem like an unremarkable attempt at death-doom (without the oppressive grime that goes with the good stuff), but apart from that I really like the album. It's very solid, I like the production, the clean vocals are amazing, there's no dead weight in the song material. I can't say it's the greatest epic doom out there, but I don't have any real gripes about it.
03.11.2011 - 20:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 03.11.2011 at 20:31

I don't care much for the generic growls that make it seem like an unremarkable attempt at death-doom (without the oppressive grime that goes with the good stuff), but apart from that I really like the album. It's very solid, I like the production, the clean vocals are amazing, there's no dead weight in the song material. I can't say it's the greatest epic doom out there, but I don't have any real gripes about it.

I still haven't heard it. But death growls? Damn, that's a shame. And adding death growl of course doesn't make those parts an attempt at death doom becuase I am guessing the music is still epic doom as ever.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.11.2011 - 20:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
I disagree. I found the growls inspired and well placed and it is not like they just wanted to use extreme vocals for the sake of using them
----
is not bold enough
03.11.2011 - 21:07
JD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 03.11.2011 at 20:48

I found the growls inspired and well placed and it is not like they just wanted to use extreme vocals for the sake of using them

I agree with this, although I'm not a big fan of "growling" specially in doom, but I enjoyed it here.
03.11.2011 - 22:36
IronAngel

Worry not, Marcel. They are frequent at all, but they did bother me a bit. They might work in their context if they sounded better, but to me they are just too mediocre, lacking any balls at all. If it actually sounded that the guy was singing from the bottom of the ocean, or dying from pneumonia, it might be quite fine.
03.11.2011 - 22:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.11.2011 at 20:35
I still haven't heard it. But death growls? Damn, that's a shame.

You're quite right about them maintaining their epic approach - that hasn't changed at all. And the sparse use of growls aren't anything to fuss about if you ask me. I feel they're actually utilized rather well, as if placed in the context of the music with a purpose. It's nice to feel like a band really considers the pros and cons of what they do with their sound.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.11.2011 - 13:36
Rating: 7
Draugen

After the brilliant Silent Ruins I had rather high expectations for this album and luckily it does live up to them. Everything from the production to the lyrics are great, not to mention the amazing vocals. I appreciate the additon of a few occational growls which never got too obtrusive.

Born From Shadows might not have as many stand out moments and tracks as the previous release but it still managed to be thoroughly enjoyable through out its duration.
26.11.2011 - 20:39
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Written by Guest on 31.10.2011 at 12:31

I already listened to all of their albums, I think the first two are my favorites, anyway I'd order them like this:

Throne Of Void > Forevermore > Born From Shadows > Silent Ruins > Bliss Of Solitude

I guess i was wrong, and made a rush judgment based on one listen, i blv this is a solid album, just like the entire Isole discography .. but I still find the recent material to be more Epic than the old ones, may be due to production of recent materials is easier for my ears to digest
26.11.2011 - 21:10
JD
Account deleted
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 26.11.2011 at 20:39

Written by Guest on 31.10.2011 at 12:31

I guess i was wrong, and made a rush judgment based on one listen, i blv this is a solid album, just like the entire Isole discography .. but I still find the recent material to be more Epic than the old ones, may be due to production of recent materials is easier for my ears to digest

Since we are bors and all, I command you to listen carefully to Forevermore, believe it or not you will find some oriental riffs here and there.
28.11.2011 - 06:13
Susan
Smeghead
Excellent album. I like my doom with an ever-so-slightly higher energy level and this album definitely satisfies. They'd be a shoe-in for Best Doom Album if it weren't for 40 Watt Sun. Tough choice, that.

Not, like, a BAD problem to have, though
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
28.11.2011 - 17:32
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Susan on 28.11.2011 at 06:13

They'd be a shoe-in for Best Doom Album if it weren't for 40 Watt Sun. Tough choice, that.

Indeed. first I was thinking that this is just another great Isole album "their best actually" but now I really believe that if it wasn't for 40 Watt Sun's masterpiece this would have nailed the award for best Doom
----
is not bold enough
13.01.2012 - 23:25
Fredd
Account deleted
Fuck me for not listening to this in 2011.
13.01.2012 - 23:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 13.01.2012 at 23:25

Fuck me for not listening to this in 2011.

shame on you indeed
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.02.2012 - 17:35
Rating: 8
omjaimes
omjaimes
Not the kind of doom metal I usually listen, but I was attracted, no doubt there we found very mature compositions with these principles of classic doom quite clear. For me is an excellent production, with that swedish opethesque taste, full of bright and unpredictable ideas
06.03.2014 - 16:44
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
My favourite Isole record so far. Sounds both enchanting and epic.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
21.11.2014 - 00:39
Erik M.

Hmmm, not sure what it is but this doesn't quite do it for me. Expected this to at least top Bliss of Solitude, but so far it definitely doesn't. The growls also make me like it less. Not to mention this sounds less like epic doom than their previous albums, which is a shame. Maybe it's a grower.
17.01.2019 - 20:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont like artwork, but its well decent album, its bands trademark after so many we can say so..
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.06.2023 - 18:17
tintinb

The first song, the lake, God that voice is perfect for an Epic doom album. Rest of the songs are typical Isole Epic doom songs, thoroughly enjoyable but nothing really special.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 11508 | This month: 25