03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Top 20 albums of 2012: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 151

Additional info
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren (Katatonia, Opeth, Soilwork) at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.

Released on 7 May, 2012 in Australia through Welkin Records.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
Now I for one am one of the newer fans of this unique progressive metal outfit. I was unaware of the Aurora Veil EP that came out in 2007, was already establishing a fan-base, and was building up significant hype for the release of Portal of I five years later. I have never even heard of Ne Obliviscaris, until right before the album was released, with the surrounding hype growing to a fever-pitch. I was finally able to order a copy from the band's label and after a few spins, I must say, I was quite impressed.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2012 | Comments (7)

Staff review by
Milena
Rating:
N/A
Reading other people's opinions is a funny thing. Before I checked it out myself, I was convinced Ne Obliviscaris would sound like a bastard child of meloblack-infused Wintersun and Into Eternity on drugs. And I'm not going to lie to you, there's definitely a bit of that in Portal Of I, but that's only a part of the picture.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2012 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Lucerna
Rating:
I was introduced to this band by a friend of mine whose taste in metal was quite similar to mine; he showed me a video of "As Icicles Fall". This took my attention, and I decided to check these guys out; and I was very pleased with what I heard.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2014 | Comments (3)

Found in 101 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 165   Visited by: 2254 users
12.10.2011 - 16:54
Rating: 9
JaimeLeonel
Been waiting for a looooong time..... can't wait anymore!
----
k
13.10.2011 - 22:34
Void Eater
Account deleted
About damn time.
17.10.2011 - 08:17
Rating: 8
Eddie Misery
Just heard a song off this album for the first time, track 5, a friend posted it to my fb, and I was floored. I can't get my hands on this album soon enough!
18.04.2012 - 00:14
qlacs
"The Quaker"
It will definitely a land in the top 3 of 2012. What i'd like though is soon after this is released they start recording the next one because it will take at least 3 f*ckin years again.
----
08.05.2012 - 07:56
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Still haven't listened to more than "And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope" and "Xenoflux" on Youtube, but I'm not overly interested based on those two songs. The cello/violin movements in the background are pretty interesting but the rest of the music just seems like a pretty standard form of progressive melodic death metal. Some of the guitar melodies remind me of the battle scene music from a recent Final Fantasy game.

And that's probably enough to make people shoot a pretty big load all over this. Assuming the two songs I've listened to represent the album fairly well, I probably won't be doling out anything more than a 6 for this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2012 - 15:38
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2012 at 07:56

Assuming the two songs I've listened to represent the album fairly well, I probably won't be doling out anything more than a 6 for this.

They're probably not a bad representation, though songs from The Aurora Veil lean towards black metal a bit. I especially recommend "Forget Not".

I've enjoyed all of what I heard quite a bit so far, plenty of cool details in their songwriting with impressive musicianship. The first international release is on Saturday via iTunes and Bandcamp and they just announced a deal with Code 666.
08.05.2012 - 16:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Hmm... well, I guess I'll probably end up looking up the rest of the songs but I still won't be expecting anything more than what I've already heard. Who knows though, I might be blown away.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2012 - 12:42
Risto
Wandering Midget
Hmh, they have changed plenty of black vocals to death vocals on the re-recorded songs. Not sure what to think of that because Xenoyr still sounds bloody great when he does the black ones :/ Haven't heard Tapestry yet though.
09.05.2012 - 13:36
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Forget Not is even more beautiful that on the demo. Favourite song atm
----
10.05.2012 - 16:06
PocketMetal
Oh.my.god ... this album is like a dream for me . it's one of those bands with violin that understands the violin itself is not the key ... you have to play it good ! it's perfect really ...great riffs , amazing dual vocals , slower parts are not boring at all and there is a certain flow from song to song .

I won't give 10 yet but I may do it after a few more listens .
17.05.2012 - 10:10
Timmeh
Dudeman
This is getting better with repeated listenings, oh boy dat violin and dat bass guitar
17.05.2012 - 14:17
MechanisT
Account deleted
Just... beautiful.
17.05.2012 - 20:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Quote:
Assuming the two songs I've listened to represent the album fairly well, I probably won't be doling out anything more than a 6 for this.

Turns out this was a very accurate assumption...
----
17.05.2012 - 22:42
i wonder what's all the hype for. I'm listening to the album right now for the 2nd time, doesn't sound all that special. pretty average stuff, gets boring in places.
17.05.2012 - 22:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by The Melting Snow on 17.05.2012 at 22:42
:o i wonder what's all the hype for.

Can't say if this is receiving any special attention outside of Metal Storm, but I can say this will undoubtedly find its way into the top 10 and remain there for the remainder of the year.

The average Metal Stormer enjoys more melodic, catchy, accessible forms of metal, and although this isn't the most simplistic style of music, the album itself is very... "easy" to appreciate, and has a lot of elements that people here go crazy for.
----
17.05.2012 - 23:06
Quote:
The album itself is very... "easy" to appreciate, and has a lot of elements that people here go crazy for.

yeah, but all those elements put together in one song just doesn't feel right to me. People are praising the violin, but it seems badly out of place to me.
18.05.2012 - 02:27
Yugosaki
Brilliant
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
18.05.2012 - 03:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I remember checking their older stuff and not liking it, but I must say the samples I've heard from this album are quite interesting. I'll give this a shot and hit it with a crowbar afterwards.
18.05.2012 - 03:26
Chobo_jokeR
I'm enjoying the violin and everything else. Solid stuff.
18.05.2012 - 12:19
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by The Melting Snow on 17.05.2012 at 23:06

People are praising the violin, but it seems badly out of place to me.

Some of the best use of violin in metal IMO. People aren't used to it because it's usually not arranged as an extensive solo instrument in metal. Most seem to love it, but I can also understand why someone doesn't.

I'd probably rate this a 9 if Tapestry wasn't on it. Clearly my least favourite song.
18.05.2012 - 14:59
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 22:47

Written by The Melting Snow on 17.05.2012 at 22:42
:o i wonder what's all the hype for.

Can't say if this is receiving any special attention outside of Metal Storm, but I can say this will undoubtedly find its way into the top 10 and remain there for the remainder of the year.

The average Metal Stormer enjoys more melodic, catchy, accessible forms of metal, and although this isn't the most simplistic style of music, the album itself is very... "easy" to appreciate, and has a lot of elements that people here go crazy for.

You could have just said "its good." Really, it would have made your life a lot easier.

[I have not listened to it yet, I am in the midst of one random song recommended by a friend]

[Correction, so far it sounds a lot like Dominia but a bit heavier]

Most of the album can be streamed on Bandcamp
18.05.2012 - 15:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by pisymbol on 18.05.2012 at 14:59
You could have just said "its good." Really, it would have made your life a lot easier.

Except for the fact that I'd be exaggerating. This album isn't good in my opinion, it's messy and sounds way too polished. As pointed out before by someone else, the violin sounds out of place and to be honest their songs don't really offer much beyond the aesthetic appeal of cheesy melodies.

Still can't decide if I think it's a 5 or a 6 though.
----
18.05.2012 - 15:54
Fredd
Account deleted
Good melodies. Haters gonna hate.
18.05.2012 - 16:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 18.05.2012 at 15:54
Haters gonna hate.

Probably the most annoying response people on the internet have come up with. I'm not a "hater" because I don't like the music. I don't "hate" the album, I have an opinion that differs from those who are praising it. I think at best it's a decent effort, the progressive elements and technicality are obviously worth anyone's time just to see the skill on display, but the songs themselves are convoluted and take away from the overall flow of the album. As I said in my post above, the average person won't see that because they're too busy focusing on BEAUTIFUL MELODIES to understand these songs offer nothing special.

No different than Septicflesh last year. People will rate this a 10 and call it a masterpiece and everyone and their dog will call anyone who thinks otherwise a "hater" because they don't buy the hype and look beyond the aesthetics of over-the-top melodies and repetitive song structures that you think are different because they follow more of an A-C-B-C-B-A formula as opposed to just A-B-C-A-B-C.
----
18.05.2012 - 16:28
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 16:07

Haters gonna hate.

Probably the most annoying response people on the internet have come up with. I'm not a "hater" because I don't like the music. I don't "hate" the album, I have an opinion that differs from those who are praising it. I think at best it's a decent effort, the progressive elements and technicality are obviously worth anyone's time just to see the skill on display, but the songs themselves are convoluted and take away from the overall flow of the album. As I said in my post above, the average person won't see that because they're too busy focusing on BEAUTIFUL MELODIES to understand these songs offer nothing special.

No different than Septicflesh last year. People will rate this a 10 and call it a masterpiece and everyone and their dog will call anyone who thinks otherwise a "hater" because they don't buy the hype and look beyond the aesthetics of over-the-top melodies and repetitive song structures that you think are different because they follow more of an A-C-B-C-B-A formula as opposed to just A-B-C-A-B-C.

HARHARHARHAR I swear I knew this would happen.

And by the way, I am not impressed much by this album.
18.05.2012 - 16:37
pisymbol

Haters gonna hate.

Please get down from your "I understand music more than the average Septic Flesh fan" high horse. Its just as silly as the "haters gonna hate" idiom.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea whether I like or dislike this album yet, i.e. this is not a fanboy defense)
18.05.2012 - 16:39
PocketMetal

"hater" and "average person" are both annoying terms Troy , OK you think this album offers nothing special TO YOU ... don't you think it's a little hypocritical to call everyone else "average" just because they don't share the same opinion ? I mean by that you are like " Yay , I'm not average ... I'm too smart to enjoy this "
you don't seem to respect other people's opinion and think they are somewhat "below" you , on the other hand you want them to respect yours ?
18.05.2012 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Will respond to both of you, since you seem to focus on one word in a paragraph and not the context...

By "the average person" I mean "the majority". I don't mean to imply in any way that my opinion is somehow more valid than anyone else's. I'm on no high horse, and I don't try to assert myself as being "above" anyone.
----
18.05.2012 - 17:01
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 16:43

Will respond to both of you, since you seem to focus on one word in a paragraph and not the context...

By "the average person" I mean "the majority". I don't mean to imply in any way that my opinion is somehow more valid than anyone else's. I'm on no high horse, and I don't try to assert myself as being "above" anyone.

Ok. We'll all stop here, before it gets out of hand.
18.05.2012 - 17:23
PocketMetal
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.05.2012 at 16:43

As a Mora would say " it's all fine and dandy , really "
I pray to God it won't end up like Septicflesh at the top of the charts , this was supposed to be my discovery

Hits total: 51650 | This month: 102