Metal Storm logo
Discuss Films You've Watched Recently (Spoilers Will Be Deleted)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 13.01.2015 - 03:05
SWAT - Firefight
Nice modern film about modernized military type of SWAT team in Boston, like it, nice new film, nice woman in cop team
17.06.2022 - 17:27
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by BitterCOld on 08.06.2022 at 18:44

R-R-R. 3 hour Indian flick. Carve out the time and watch it if you like spectacle and over the top action. Really enjoyed it.

My only exposure to Bollywood was when I once watched K3G (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham) - those were some entertaining 3 hours and 30 minutes
17.06.2022 - 21:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.06.2022 at 17:27

R-R-R. 3 hour Indian flick. Carve out the time and watch it if you like spectacle and over the top action. Really enjoyed it.

My only exposure to Bollywood was when I once watched K3G (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham) - those were some entertaining 3 hours and 30 minutes

My first "Bollywood" as well, but one that is crushing it internationally. Between action and CGI it's almost a cross between like 80s US action and MCU CGI fests. Only with an engaging story. And a 5 min dance sequence in the middle as well as during the end/credits.

I enjoyed the first 90 minutes, watched them in two installments. And to dance around spoilers like a Bollywood film, shit happened and I was hooked, elevated the movie from "Pretty good, liking ths, like the characters and some of the environments" to "This is great, I can't stop until I see how it pans out."

Tweeted out asking for other Indian movie suggestions, as a lot of Indian people have been responding positively to Western tweets saying they enjoyed the movie... and the RRR Official blue check account slid into my DM's with a couple suggestions.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.06.2022 - 22:36
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by BitterCOld on 17.06.2022 at 21:44

Between action and CGI it's almost a cross between like 80s US action and MCU CGI fests. Only with an engaging story. And a 5 min dance sequence in the middle as well as during the end/credits.
Tweeted out asking for other Indian movie suggestions, as a lot of Indian people have been responding positively to Western tweets saying they enjoyed the movie... and the RRR Official blue check account slid into my DM's with a couple suggestions.

Haha, awesome
I honestly only watched it once and that was about 5 years ago, so I don't remember what CGI you're talking about - I only remember the dancing and that one scene where the camera switched between the two main lovers and in every shot each of them is wearing something different as they sing to one another (one of them was in a desert is I recall correctly)
22.06.2022 - 19:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BitterCOld on 17.06.2022 at 21:44

Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.06.2022 at 17:27

My first "Bollywood" as well, but one that is crushing it internationally. Between action and CGI it's almost a cross between like 80s US action and MCU CGI fests. Only with an engaging story. And a 5 min dance sequence in the middle as well as during the end/credits.

Well, it's a Telugu production film. It doesn't fall into a Bollywood spectrum 'cause it doesn't come from Bombay film production nor is made in Bombay(Mumbai).

I won't blame you(or any other) for incorrect labeling as Indian film/music scene is pretty much occupied by Bollywood. In some instances, punjabi music gets shadowed by the bollywood music scene.
23.06.2022 - 05:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.06.2022 at 19:07

Well, it's a Telugu production film. It doesn't fall into a Bollywood spectrum 'cause it doesn't come from Bombay film production nor is made in Bombay(Mumbai).

I won't blame you(or any other) for incorrect labeling as Indian film/music scene is pretty much occupied by Bollywood. In some instances, punjabi music gets shadowed by the bollywood music scene.

Chris Gore of Film Threat was talking the picture up and explained India has essentially like two competing entities/cultures making films - as opposed to just Hollywood in the US. And this competition is a good thing.

Won't be for a while as we're off on vacation soon, but will be checking Bahubali or whatever - Netflix seems to have issues with spelling it Baahubail or Bahubali. And I guess The Beginning/Part 1 has like three different options on Netflix US... but for my non-VPN Playstation, which we normally watch from, Brazil only has II.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.07.2022 - 20:23
Metren
Dreadrealm
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

It was Kubrick’s last masterpiece and has become one of my favorite films after my second time watching and absorbing it. It’s Kubrick, so obviously the film is visually stunning, superbly colorful, but stunning. One haunting mise-en-scène followed by another and then by another until the film ends. As far as I can tell, the colors symbolize: red = passion or lust, green = disease and death, blue = disclosure or simply, truth. There’s surely more to the colors than I can discern, though. As far as the performances go, I suggest we may actually underrate Kubrick as a director of actors as evidenced by how good Tom Cruise (normally a decent actor at best) is in the film. All he does in many scenes is a more tragic/misty-eyed version of “The Kubrick Stare” and it works like a (really depressing) charm. The soundtrack is great too, as is the way the music is used to create tension and to recall previous crucial moments in the story.

It’s a shame this film was so horribly inappropriately marketed as some kind of erotic thriller after Kubrick’s’ death. Had that not been the case, it might have a better reputation, which it absolutely deserves.

Also, like Steven Spielberg once said, I too will never understand people who claim Kubrick was “not an emotional director.”
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
30.07.2022 - 21:11
no one
Finding Joseph I: The HR From Bad Brains Documentary

I've been wanting to watch this for a long time and was pretty disappointed. Hr struggles with mental illness (after a lot of acid imo) for a long time and no one does anything about it for a long time, then finally he gets a wife who sends him to the doctor to get some meds which fixes him.
----
Unable to connect to the database
31.07.2022 - 21:00
Metren
Dreadrealm
Logan (2017)

It’s strange to reflect on how profoundly I disliked this one when it came out. The elements that sucked about Logan still suck, but dull and inefficient villains and an extremely bleak and depressing tone don’t change that it’s a well-made film. The cinematography is wonderful with gorgeous nature shots and exquisite lighting in most scenes and blocking is generally clever too. I appreciate how the only time Caliban and Logan/Wolverine sit together and talk, they are facing away from one another, indicating how they don’t see eye-to-eye on matters and even lack respect for each other. I love how the decisive battle is not a headache-inducing over-the-top special effects nightmare, it’s very subdued compared to something like The Avengers or Man Of Steel. 7.5/10
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
13.08.2022 - 07:40
no one
The Northman

Amazing cinematography and all that, but it doesn't really matter when the storyline is a boring revenge story.
----
23.09.2022 - 16:28
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
My local cinema aired The End of Evangelion yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic. Getting to see it on the big screen was truly breathtaking. I had not seen the movie in 2 years so my memories weren't all that fresh but wow did the movie impress me even more than the first time, I loved it
23.09.2022 - 18:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Roman Doez on 23.09.2022 at 16:28

My local cinema aired The End of Evangelion yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic. Getting to see it on the big screen was truly breathtaking. I had not seen the movie in 2 years so my memories weren't all that fresh but wow did the movie impress me even more than the first time, I loved it

But did you understand it?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
23.09.2022 - 20:12
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Karlabos on 23.09.2022 at 18:15

But did you understand it?

It definitely felt clearer than the last time I watched it, but understanding it fully is another step above haha
27.09.2022 - 14:13
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
So yesterday I watched the 2003 movie "The Core". In the movie, the liquid outer core of the Earth has stopped rotating and so has stopped producing the Earth's magnetic field. This leads to disasters like thunderstorms and solar flares burning up cities. To save the world, a group of scientists get funding from the US government to build a tunneling vehicle that they'll use to tunnel to the Earth's core and detonate a series of nuclear explosions to make the liquid core rotate again.

Despite critic websites given negative reviews of the movie, I really liked it. I enjoyed the premise because I'd taken a class in geophysics and could follow along pretty well with the logic of the movie. The characters were sympathetic and diverse in their perspectives, leading to arguments among the team that felt natural and not contrived. Plus, (avoiding spoilers) there were several emotional moments when some of the team have to sacrifice themselves to keep the mission going. Also, considering that this movie was made almost 20 years ago, the special effects of the cities suffering from natural disasters were pretty impressive.

I'm really fond of 90's and early 2000's movies because they nailed the art of effective, captivating storytelling. Take any high-budget movie or TV series of today (Star Wars Sequels, Thor Love and Thunder, SheHulk, Rings of Power, Andor) and you'll see that they have unlikable characters, forced humor, a plot that is too complicated or feels contrived - and they aren't effective in their time-management: either explaining way too little to go straight to the action scenes or making unnecessarily long scenes of exposition or scenes where the plot doesn't move forward.

Now take almost any movie of the 90s and early 2000s (Terminator, Independence Day, The Fugitive, Die Hard, Se7en, The Shawshank Redemption, Spider-Man, The Dark Knight ) and you'll see how in a short amount of time they are able to establish the plot, the characters' personalities and struggles, and are able to hook the viewer. The premise of the story can be simple yet still be gripping and thought-provoking. The camerawork is more calm, subtle, and artistic (even in action movies) instead of just shaky in order to hide the fake action scenes

That's why, in my opinion, an arguably B-movie like "The Core" is still better than most high-budget movies of today.
24.11.2022 - 15:31
Metal Rasputin
All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

What on embarrassement of a film. I'd think they tried to make a nightmarish anti-war film similar to Come and See from 1985, but they went too over the top to be actually believable or even remotely historically accurate. War films from 1920's and 1930's are way superior to this thing, the people who had witnessed the horrors of WW1 first hand knew how to depict that stuff on film or at least had enough respect for the audience to not goof around like it's Call of Duty or something. Showing the uglyness of war as it is I think is way more powerful than playing around with some stupid trickery.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
27.11.2022 - 03:55
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
I just watched Carpenter's The Thing (1982). I had watched the 2011 remake/prequel so I knew the premise and the thing (haha) with the dog, but had never watched the classic 80s movie until now.

And ho-ly shit that was fantastic! Super gory (did not expect those effects to be so effortlessly realistic and nightmare-inducing), super suspense, super action, and super actors (Kurt Russell's "yeah, fuck you too!" was so fitting lol)! Man, I understand why almost everyone put it among their favorite horror movies in this thread. Perfect horror: simple premise, suspenseful guessing-game, satisfying monster-slaying, and leaving both the origin (Norwegians, the Thing itself) and the conclusion to the viewer's imagination,... amazing stuff indeed
28.11.2022 - 17:07
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
American Psycho (2000)

[Some spoilers ahead]

Really cool psychological thriller. Christian Bale's performance is phenomenal and the direction is perfect. After introducing his obsession with staying fit and keeping his face and suit clean, this cleanliness and self-worshipping plays a role throughout, whether it's not wanting people to touch him or admiring himself in the mirror during sex. I really like how he keeps confessing to murders at random points in conversations and no one notices. The narcissistic attitudes of all the coworkers reinforces the contrast between his cold worklife exterior vs his nighttime frenzies.

And of course the ambiguity at the end (was it all his imagination or are the others covering up for him?) is the cherry on top. As he says at the beginning when peeling off the face gel, "I'm not really there". And the ending shot is him sitting in front of a sign that reads "this is not an exit". There's no escape for Patrick Bateman. He almost is trying to get caught and receive consequences, but he keeps getting away with it. Fueled by this, he thinks now to inflict his own pain on others. It seems his murderous tendencies will continue on. The question is whether his society will even care.
28.11.2022 - 17:14
JoHn Doe
^ spoiler alert!
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.11.2022 - 17:45
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.11.2022 at 17:14

^ spoiler alert!

Or sorry. I tried to not reveal too much. I'll add a warning
28.11.2022 - 17:48
JoHn Doe
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.11.2022 at 17:45

Written by JoHn Doe on 28.11.2022 at 17:14

^ spoiler alert!

Or sorry. I tried to not reveal too much. I'll add a warning

Troy used to delete spoilers.
k7/BE used to spoil a lot of movies.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.11.2022 - 17:52
no one
Surely everyone has seen that movie by now anyway.
----
28.11.2022 - 18:02
JoHn Doe
Written by no one on 28.11.2022 at 17:52

Surely everyone has seen that movie by now anyway.

you'd think so, but we still got a few young users, might not have seen it.
----
28.11.2022 - 18:10
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.11.2022 at 18:02

we still got a few young users, might not have seen it.

Indeed. In fact, I was one of them a few hours ago
28.11.2022 - 18:12
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
^ That films a classic! Especially the chainsaw scene.
28.11.2022 - 18:48
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 28.11.2022 at 18:12

And then him recreating it with crayons on the tablecloth during a date with his fiancée
28.11.2022 - 19:28
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 28.11.2022 at 18:12

Oh I also just noticed that that scene with him looking down the spiral staircase and waiting shows up in his later role in The Dark Knight when Scarecrow is fleeing from the parking house with a van down the spiral ramp!
28.11.2022 - 22:43
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.11.2022 at 19:28

Oh I also just noticed that that scene with him looking down the spiral staircase and waiting shows up in his later role in The Dark Knight when Scarecrow is fleeing from the parking house with a van down the spiral ramp!

That's very well spotted
28.01.2023 - 00:28
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
The Postcard Killings (2020)

Great story about a former New York cop hunting down the serial killer who brutally murdered his daughter and her husband. It becomes a hunt across Europe as he finds that the murderer kills newly married couples in London, Madrid, Munich, Stockholm, and other cities — always leaving the corpses with their blood drained and arrayed in bizarre poses...
Based on a book by James Patterson.
28.01.2023 - 11:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Badge Of Honour - Funny b level police internal affairs movie, nice one, sad and good enmding

Beyond the Reach - not best Michael Douglas film, but its cool. Some can survive in a desert better as others, but same time unrealistic, but I cant say I never have been in a desert, I dont know how it feels when sun shines and you have no clouts.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.01.2023 - 04:15
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
The Silencing (2020)
"A reformed hunter and a female sheriff get caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse when they set out to track a killer who may have kidnapped his daughter five years earlier."

Great dark thriller about a serial killer hunting girls in the US wilderness like in The Most Dangerous Game short story.
16.02.2023 - 12:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Black Water - JCVD and Dolf Lundgren in its entry, those legendary action stars what made legendary 80's 90's action movies now just one move well well dont see anything special. just one of.
BTW when JCVD was kidnaped, he had blue jeans, when start interrogate he has velvet penths ..... hahhahaha

Blood Ties
I like ''street'' movies about 70's about that time life,. mob, cops and so on. This was good one,

Check Point - Based on real events and movie could be super good if it was made on more professionally
I wonder Non Shaffer thing what he did in DC will there ever be made movie? Inage Krav maga fighter goes and destroys oath keepers

City Of Lies - Nice move about some hop hopers well known famous ones was killed, I never heard about such things before, but good movie.

Cold Comes the Night - Nice movie about motel and money in a focus

----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing