04. Mistress Dread
05. Iced Honey
06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

But it all bears no significance at all. An ordinary listener will not give a damn about the literary predecessor that became grounds for this album. All an ordinary listener cares about is the music. And this is what is the biggest failure here. A gargantuan failure of biblical proportions. A debacle of misbegotten notions. A hapless heap of humungous refuse. Even the Apocalypse of John doesn't depict an event as catastrophic as this brainfart committed by a bunch of pretentious musicians and their misguided greed for mainstream recognition.

There isn't much to say about the music here. Metallica plods along with some recycled riffs (or lack thereof, see "Junior Dad"), boring drumming and generic singing, all that hidden ten fathoms under Lou Reed's mumbling. The mumbling that is so incredibly annoying, that I feel like shooting myself so that I can never hear it again.

Creating a piece of art isn't a conscious process. You sit down, write music, jam with your fellow bandmates, then record your endeavors, and if the general public, the history and fate decide that your work was brilliant, that it's a paragon of genius for generations to come, it will be so. But you can't calculate it. To me this is what Metallica and Lou Reed did. Tried to do. Failed miserably. Nuked all that remained of any shred of respect any fan could have for them. Genius arises by the way, not by calculation. How the fuck would they know that anyway.

Forgive lack of down-to-earth dissertation of the music. Forgive the dissonant style of this review. Only two things can make me write such a rant. Either utter genius or utter shitfest at the bottom of the cesspool of miscarried intentions. It shouldn't be hard to figure out which was the case this time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 3
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 5
Production: 5

Written on 04.11.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 1524 users
06.11.2011 - 08:52
Rating: 1
Garth Vader
Written by Guest on 05.11.2011 at 23:32

So yeah, I'm listening to Shadow Gallery right now, which suddenly made me realize what good progressive music is and that this album does kinda suck. Not a 2 rating bad; but maybe a 5.5 at most.

Shadow Gallery is the definition of genius! But...haahahhhhhhahahhhahahah, I just can't stop... bahahaha ahahaha baaaaahhhhhhahahahahhahh, laughing at this, ahhahhhhahahaha ahahhaah, * sniff * , pure crap that Metallica calls an ahahhahahhhahahah album.... whew. Baahahahahahhaahahhaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I think I just shat myself.... bahahahahaa!!!
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
06.11.2011 - 11:12
Aralim4311
I normally try and listen to everything before passing judgement, but this time I am asking my self do I have to??? Your reviews sounds pretty much unanimous across the board. I think I will let my ears live in peace for the time being.
06.11.2011 - 11:38
listmor
Bizarre.

Can a band be diagnosed as psychotic?
06.11.2011 - 12:13
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 22:58

Luckily for us? Pfft.

I know you're only teasing me because you love me so much, so I'll let this one slide for now.
06.11.2011 - 13:47
blackthor
Great album, come on guys open your minds, think a little bit.
06.11.2011 - 14:20
Rating: 2
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by blackthor on 06.11.2011 at 13:47

Sorry, we're all brainless morons here.
06.11.2011 - 14:58
nb
I gave each song half a listen, could not stand any song in its entirety. As the review says, Lou's moaning is the most annoying thing I have ever heard. And as far as the music, 30 seconds into each song, and you know what the whole song is about... boring riffing.
06.11.2011 - 16:52
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
At this point in time, Megadeth > Metallica. And I'm not even trolling.
06.11.2011 - 17:35
Coolingsrock
Written by Carl Berg on 06.11.2011 at 16:52

At this point in time, Megadeth > Metallica. And I'm not even trolling.

Then i guess things never changed then.
06.11.2011 - 18:56
Ernis
狼獾

I just heard one song. That was enough. It sounds actually all right if you removed the psychotic rant. But it loses everything because it's like a broken record. You can't repeat that same guitar line for eternity. Hell is repetition...
06.11.2011 - 20:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Daniell on 06.11.2011 at 14:20
Sorry, we're all brainless morons here.

I'mma let you finish Daniell...but...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 20:22
selken
Irreligious
Well, after reading all these comments, I think it's better not to listen to what appears to be an abomination to music played by the band that got me into metal...
It'd be like if my gf turned out to be a hooker :S
----
06.11.2011 - 20:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by selken on 06.11.2011 at 20:22

Actually it's probably a lot worse than that.

Maybe if your girlfriend was gangraped to death and you were forced to watch. That bad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.11.2011 - 20:55
selken
Irreligious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.11.2011 at 20:30

Written by selken on 06.11.2011 at 20:22

Actually it's probably a lot worse than that.

Maybe if your girlfriend was gangraped to death and you were forced to watch. That bad.

Oh... I see
Well... I was talking about the idea of being betrayed... but that also should do the trick xDDD
----
07.11.2011 - 01:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.11.2011 at 23:32

yeah, I'm listening to Shadow Gallery right now...

Ah, Shadow Gallery. Their Room V is the shit \m/
----
7.0 means the album is good
07.11.2011 - 04:03
Nightfall
Cliff Burton must be rolling over in his grave.
07.11.2011 - 04:39
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Nightfall on 07.11.2011 at 04:03

Too bad he was cremated.
07.11.2011 - 09:41
Huntteri
Written by Guest on 07.11.2011 at 04:39

Too bad he was cremated.

his ashes are rolling,and hatin'
07.11.2011 - 12:50
Yavanna
I only listened the album once, and it was painfull enough It worths no more than 1...
I salute those who listened to it for 5 times to write a review
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
07.11.2011 - 21:03
Nightfall

Too bad he was cremated.

Oh... damn it.
08.11.2011 - 13:30
Nacur
Written by Nightfall on 07.11.2011 at 21:03

Too bad he was cremated.

Oh... damn it.

He knew what was coming...that's why he chose this. Wise Cliff.
08.11.2011 - 19:42
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Worst metal abum ever. And that's all.
08.11.2011 - 21:26
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 19:42

Worst metal abum ever. And that's all.

Even if you remove "metal" from what you said, it still might be true.
08.11.2011 - 21:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 19:42
Worst album ever. And that's all.

Fixed.

PS this is not a metal album
----
08.11.2011 - 23:01
deepwithin
After reading all these comments here, I decided to give Lulu a second try and listened to the entire album for the 2nd time. In general I don't like it, BUT it has some elements which seem to grow on me, after I put off my metal(lica) cap. Try to listen to Lulu from a Lou Reed perspective (who gave the world in 1975 Metal Machine Music, which at that time was deemed "worst album ever" and that one as well was not metal at all) ;-)

Still, even when not thinking about the 4 Horsemen behind Reed in the studio, the drumming and a major part of the guitar riffs sound mediocre and at some point even childish, but i could imagine that was exactly the sound Reed wanted for this album.

So stop considering this as a metal-album, just think of it as another experiment of Lou Reed. And who knows this will grow in time. In 75 nobody liked Metal Machine Music, but now it is considered by some as being genious in it is artyfarty noisy unbarable to listen to it for more than twenty minutes way.

Lulu is definintely not the best Lou Reed album, but why the hell did he rent the Metallica guys (and are they even getting paid for this shit?) and not the guys from Shining. Lulu meets Black Jazz could have been interesting...
09.11.2011 - 02:27
Grody2themax
Why anyone would even give this a listen unless they're big fans of Lou Reed is beyond me.
09.11.2011 - 08:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Grody2themax on 09.11.2011 at 02:27
Why anyone would even give this a listen unless they're big fans of Lou Reed is beyond me.

Some people came for the Metallica input, some came for Lou Reed, some came out of masochistic curiosity.

Some came for various combinations of all three.
----
09.11.2011 - 08:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by deepwithin on 08.11.2011 at 23:01
So stop considering this as a metal-album

I haven't thought of this as a metal album since before it was released.
----
09.11.2011 - 11:40
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

You sound like the president of the 2001: A Space Odyssey fan club.
09.11.2011 - 12:11
I saw them on the Jool Holland's show on the BBC last night. Utterly embarrassing! A bunch of old men posturing during some generic riffage, with Lou Redd half dead and hardly moving, mumbling his stuff... and they did a version of the Velvet's White Light White Heat... so boring I nearly fell asleep... it was sad seeing James Hetfield actually enjoying that crap... he must have had a brain bypass...

Hits total: 26575 | This month: 29