03. Desecration
04. Crucified For The Innocence
05. Walk With The Devil In Dreams You Behold
06. Homage For Satan
07. Not Of This Earth
08. Never To Be Seen Again
09. The Lord's Sedition
10. Black Night [Deep Purple cover] [Limited Edition bonus]

The last time I enjoyed a Deicide album was back in 1992 when "Legion" broke my neck and liquefied my brain cells, then after their following releases I just honestly lost track of this band. Few years later (Present Day) the rumors about a great EP began to circulate all over the Metal scene, everyone was excited about it and they barely could wait for the new Full Length to arrive, so I followed. Finally I received this album to review, and now I'm about to describe one of the greatest Death Metal albums of the present days.

The Stench Of Redemption is one of the most intense experiences in modern metal; every single track has a life of its own due to the outstanding songwriting presented, every chord played, every tone reached and every solo completed shows a polished band to the core, Death Metal in its shocking best that's for sure.

There's a huge plus in The Stench Of redemption. This new line-up could be the dream-team of Death Metal; you have two of the most complex guitarists creating all kind of merged leads and solos for the music (written marvelously by Steve Asheim) to become utterly impressive and tinted with the shivering voice of Glen Benton. This is seriously one hell of an ensemble to say the least.

Most of the fanatics already know the tracks presented in the EP ("Homage For Satan" and "Crucified For The Innocence") this songs are amazing indeed, but once you get into the astonishing vortex that this album is, you'll see why Deicide rapidly climbed to the top this year. Those songs that manage to sound versatile yet classic, songs like "The Lord's Sedition" with its progressive connotation, "The Stench Of Redemption" showing super-catchy riffs, "Walk With The Devil In Dreams You Behold" bombarding the listener with melodies and violence at the same time, (just to name a few) are the ones that bring this album to the ultimate climax, a peak that reaches re-playable values where you'll find a better feature each time you push play.

This album is surely a masterpiece and it will surely become a classic record in the future; the only small imperfection is the production that sounds occasionally dry, but when you have a killer album like The Stench Of Redemption things like this become impassive because your attention goes directly to the remarkable music. I highly recommend this album, DO NOT miss this release.

Best Tracks: All.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 15.10.2006

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 259 users
15.10.2006 - 21:27
Baz Anderson

yes i agree! this album is Deicide in top form
i was actually planning on listening to it again tonight or tomorrow or sometime, and i am looking forward to when i get chance to
this album blew me back when i first got it, and i am sure it will again when i listen to it later
fantastic album. recommended by me as well
15.10.2006 - 21:55
Bloodshed
Account deleted
Uh what an awesome review from the Herz-maister, I was planning to buy this album someday next week but now I can't wait the EP was a killer sampler and I still hear those songs almost everyday, if you say this one has better songs then I'm missing the hell out of this CD, today's sunday so my record shop is closed, I hope my nails get to live through the night because tomorrow I'll buy it for sure.
15.10.2006 - 22:20
kackbratze

"Scars of the Crucifix" was a return to form, but "The Stench of Redemption" is a giant leap forward (or backward to their early brilliance). A truly great album!
15.10.2006 - 22:36
manini

Man I totally agree with you, this is probably the best death metal album I've heard this year, and it will be a classic in the years to come. Great review man!
15.10.2006 - 22:45
Herzebeth

thanks for the comments. and yes I think it's one of the best releases this year, in fact I have 2 #1's on my top 5 Death Metal list.
#1: Deicide and Suffocation albums
#2: Vader
#3: Cannibal Corpse
#4: Unleashed
#5: haven't figured this one out but maybe Anata, Fleshless or Datura.

this year was one of the most intense years for the Death Metal scene...
----
15.10.2006 - 23:15
Winter Death
Account deleted
Probably my fav of the year. 10/10.
15.10.2006 - 23:56
Basso
Account deleted
I must check this one out if it is as good as everyone says.
16.10.2006 - 00:05
Trifixion
Account deleted
Completely agree, my favorite release of 2006 so far and one of my favorite DM albums of all time.
16.10.2006 - 00:40
Herzebeth

Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 23:56

I must check this one out if it is as good as everyone says.

Trust me man, once you hear those solos and those leads...there's no coming back lol. no seriously, it's a great album and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
----
16.10.2006 - 00:47
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This cd is more brutal than a fluffy cat wrapped in duct tape.
16.10.2006 - 01:04
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Killer album, finally reviewed by Herz, nice!
16.10.2006 - 01:32
Der Meister
Account deleted
Gotta get it as soon as possible! This year has indeed been totally out of control for Death Metal! I love it!
16.10.2006 - 15:38
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 16.10.2006 at 00:47

This cd is more brutal than a fluffy cat wrapped in duct tape.

omg lol.
16.10.2006 - 15:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This is actually the VERY FIRST Deicide album I enjoy.

@Herz, of course "Legion" broke your neck all the way back in 1992, you were 7 at the time. Your neck wasn't up to strength yet.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2006 - 19:00
Rating: 10
jadawal

Fucking awesome release, I finally got to hear it today. It's amazing new death metal, which is very hard to come by. If anybody never heard the album yet....hurry up and get to it, it's even good for people who like fast melodic metal and not even death metal (But it's fucking heavy though!). Deicide's best I think, 10/10.
26.10.2006 - 18:04
Leventry
Account deleted
I Love This Shit dude!!! Hell Yeah DEICIDE Rocks!

I am one of the biggest fan of Deicide and i have got all the albums and releases (incl DVD), but this album totally Rocks Wondering if a new album is being planned yet?..
26.10.2006 - 18:18
Herzebeth

@Ozman: lol man! yeah I was like 13 or shit, no wonder why my tender neck felt all pulpified.

@Leventry: I seriously don't think so; they are touring a lot to promote this album, maybe they are writing some things and shit but meh...they surely aren't focusing in another album man..IMO
----
05.12.2006 - 19:48
Basso
Account deleted
I did just come home from buying this album. Now I expect NOTHING LESS THAT MY HEAD GETTING PULPIFIED BY BRUTAL AS FUCK DEATH METAL. If I dont get that, I am going to be very dissapointed!

/Cheers your loving Basso
05.12.2006 - 20:58
Rating: 10
priit

I was quite sceptical at first, but when I put it on, I mean, it's fscking awesome! Deicide at it's best.
17.12.2006 - 12:29
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
This is one of the best deicide album...its one of my favourite album of this year.
27.12.2006 - 11:06
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Same goes for me, this album really surprised me. My personal favourite is "Walk With The Devil In The Dreams You Behold".
27.12.2006 - 13:57
Basso
Account deleted
This album blew me away big time. Best death metal album of the year'?
30.12.2006 - 11:33
Eight
Shapeshifter
The album is really great! @Opium Magnet same favourite here
Ow and ofcourse, great review Herzbeth
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
12.01.2007 - 15:14
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
My favourite deicide album.
Great review!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
23.01.2007 - 23:11
Bhavok

this album is just amazing, Deicide is amazing and beton sings better every year, my fav song is "Homage For Satan"
31.01.2007 - 11:04
Rating: 9
lenesu

Well this album is just to good to be death. It has all, the solos, the killer riffs, the vocals. Not an average boring grindcore or brutal death act indeed.
A perfect album.
05.03.2007 - 23:03
Necrovore

This was some of the most pedestrian death metal of 2006. Garbage from a band that has released nothing but boring, uninspired garbage since their glory days of 'Legion.'
29.08.2007 - 14:47
Rating: 6
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Although I normally hate Deicide with a passion, I have to agree that this time they actually managed to make something listenable. First time it happens since Legion, quite impressive how they survived so many years making some of the crappiest Death Metal records ever.

I'm giving this an 8/10.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
20.12.2007 - 20:47
DoomGuard

Best track, and the one that stands out to me the most is 'Not Of This Earth'

But I would seriously give this a 9/10
25.04.2008 - 00:36
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I still haven't heard the whole album together at once, but I've heard most of the individual songs and it is very good. All they need to do now to get better is kick Benton's ass out with his shitty vocals and lyrics and all will be well. I vote Steve Tucker for his replacement.
----
The force will be with you, always.

Hits total: 16931 | This month: 53