Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by , 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
21.12.2009 - 07:54
The Shape

I think the S/T is the best.
----
23.12.2009 - 21:33
I_Die_Often

I have never been able to get into this band, I do respect them for their original sound and will not criticize them at all.
They're just not for me.

----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
25.01.2010 - 03:39
SerratedSyringe

I got Mezmerize because it was in the $2 bin at FYE. For $2 I really can't complain, there are actually some pretty good songs. My favorites are BYOB and Oldschool Hollywood.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
25.01.2010 - 09:53
Mikyz

Written by SerratedSyringe on 25.01.2010 at 03:39

I got Mezmerize because it was in the $2 bin at FYE. For $2 I really can't complain, there are actually some pretty good songs. My favorites are BYOB and Oldschool Hollywood.

That's pretty cheap O_O . I got all their albums, honestly the first two albums the Self-titled one and Toxicity are extremely enjoyable and original. The other albums are still enjoyable but the fact that Daron Malakian started singing more than Serj was pretty annoying, because as I see it Serj is a very gifted vocalist and Daron was ruining it with his whining.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
18.04.2010 - 22:49
Elodie Artour
Slania
System Of A Down is a quite interesting and original band. I admire Serj Tankian not just because of the fact we share the same birthday but because of his tallent and unusual voice he has. Serj has done some amazing songs with SOAD and even though he does have an original solo project, too, his power is definitely in the band. I also like the visions represented in both Serj's and SOAD's videos.

By the way, is it true that they're re-uniting?
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
19.04.2010 - 16:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I admit that musically some songs are pretty good, but I just can't stand Serj.
----
19.04.2010 - 17:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Warman on 19.04.2010 at 16:55

I admit that musically some songs are pretty good, but I just can't stand Serj.

You can say that again... It's almost like he tries too hard to be funny, but it's not... It's fucking annoying.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.04.2010 - 18:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The only song i really like is "chop suey" but toxicity isn't bad either...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.04.2010 - 21:15
meddle

System of a down has always been a favorite of mine. I wouldnt say they amazing though as it is hard to really get into their music. Too many of heir sounds are hard to follow and honestly just annoying at points. But they way they deliver it all in the end is quite good having an array of sounds like that is what makes bands good. I think out of all their work my favorite album would be the self titled one with the good songs like sugar and spiders
----
mr.chips
19.04.2010 - 21:21
Mikyz

Come on, his vocal performances on the albums are top notch (specially on their Self-titled album), it's his extensive exaggeration that makes his vocals and stage performance so unique and versatile, funny at times and emotional when need be.
----
21.04.2010 - 14:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Agreed on that. Serj's vocals are still second to none and SoaD are still the most mesmerising band I've seen live. He's an incredibly unique and intelligent individual too with a lot of charisma. I always hated how Daron edged in on vocal duties on the latter albums, his voice is whiny and caustic to the overall tone of the music.

The quicker this band reform and reprise the chaotic, punky style from the self titled release the better it will be for all.
17.05.2010 - 07:07
Phil-O-Wisp
Account deleted
Sorry if this has been brought up already....haven't had time to read whole thread:

I am in love with this band's first three albums, but the last two....meh...
19.05.2010 - 05:20
Fragile_Dreams

They are like a medication I have to take everyday!! they are the best!! Serj madness is just made me laugh! even in his single album "elected the dead" his job was marvelous! his poem book is so deep!

back to system of a down, there are many tracks are fav but "Chop Suey" is somehow special one!
there lyrics is awesome I mean who even think to sing for Sugar or Pizza! "Chic 'c Stu"

I am really sad that this band has been end

N.B. who knows LEGO toy? I've found one day clips under the name of "System of A Lego" they are very funny!
----
"When you're one of the few to land on your feet, What do you do to make ends meet?!"
19.05.2010 - 14:52
Mikyz

Written by Fragile_Dreams on 19.05.2010 at 05:20

They are like a medication I have to take everyday!! they are the best!! Serj madness is just made me laugh! even in his single album "elected the dead" his job was marvelous! his poem book is so deep!

back to system of a down, there are many tracks are fav but "Chop Suey" is somehow special one!
there lyrics is awesome I mean who even think to sing for Sugar or Pizza! "Chic 'c Stu"

N.B. who knows LEGO toy? I've found one day clips under the name of "System of A Lego" they are very funny!

Serj's album is actually Elect the Dead which is a very catchy and memorable album, but it's still a step down from the sound SOAD offered us. The lyrics of the SOAD's songs can be very well thought out and elaborate with a clear end game like in "War?" or "Boom", and sometimes they only want to be silly and exciting like "Bounce" or "Sugar". So people who stereotype SOAD as a plain wannabe funny band are simply clueless.
----
20.05.2010 - 21:38
Fragile_Dreams

Written by Mikyz on 19.05.2010 at 14:52

Written by Fragile_Dreams on 19.05.2010 at 05:20

Serj's album is actually Elect the Dead which is a very catchy and memorable album, but it's still a step down from the sound SOAD offered us. The lyrics of the SOAD's songs can be very well thought out and elaborate with a clear end game like in "War?" or "Boom", and sometimes they only want to be silly and exciting like "Bounce" or "Sugar". So people who stereotype SOAD as a plain wannabe funny band are simply clueless.

I didn't mean that they are just funny, they even have some songs as you said are purely in politics, if you check even the clip of "empty walls" it is about that the war at the end was for nothing. and if you read about Serj he is Armenian and have been active member in many causes.
----
"When you're one of the few to land on your feet, What do you do to make ends meet?!"
21.05.2010 - 00:34
Replicant

Despise Hypnotize/Mesmerize but I still have quite a bit of respect for their first two albums, especially S/T. S/T was pretty much the gateway to metal for me.
10.06.2010 - 13:33
Fëanor

After many years SOAD is still on my top 10 list of favorite bands/musicians, right up there with the likes of other metal giants like Opeth, Megadeth, Devin Townsend, etc...

I'm happy I got to see them live before they went on hiatus, and am still hoping they get back together in the near future for a new record.

The solo efforts of both Serj and Daron are really good however, so I guess a break from the band is good for them. They can still pump out some good tunes separately and experiment, something that they may not have had a chance to do if they stayed together.
----
~Everything we think we know is merely a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress.~

I'm not insane - I'm just smarter than you!
27.07.2010 - 15:46
MetalFist
Account deleted
Hypno/Mezme are both great but i think Toxicity is the superior album. It's really an improvement on their previous and is slightly better than H/M IMO
07.08.2010 - 15:40
Sangre Sani

They made a really good music. Now they have those crappy solo projects (well, Tankian's is not that bad actually). Those guys should reunite.
05.11.2010 - 19:16
doyle777

I love System Of A Down. They make really good music, great changing in rhytm, great riffs, I love Serj voice.
----
10.11.2010 - 08:27
GodFugitive

This band sucks. period. why they are even allowed on this forum is a mystery to me. this is the blink 182 of metal. get thee away demon!
10.11.2010 - 20:21
IronAngel

I like Mezmerize best. It's more diverse and mature in songwriting compared to the earlier albums. I think it would do well with some more aggressive tracks, but it's pretty good as is. It's catchy, and that seems to be a swear word for certain metal kids. Toxicity can be mind-numbingly boring at times, but it has its moments.
10.11.2010 - 20:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by GodFugitive on 10.11.2010 at 08:27

This band sucks. period. why they are even allowed on this forum is a mystery to me. this is the blink 182 of metal. get thee away demon!

I'll perform the exorcism, if you'd like.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.11.2010 - 01:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I get the distinct impression a lot of things are a mysery to that guy. Like walking and breathing at the same time for instance.
11.11.2010 - 12:59
whatsacow

Wow. Nice work good sir. You have just made the most pointless comment in this thread. Don't you just love people who have to compensate for their genral inadequacy by bashing other people's favourite bands? How bored must you be? Do you just go on every band's thread you don't like and post the same thing? Oh, and by the way, this site is called "Metalstorm" not "Thrashmetalstorm" "Deathmetalstorm" or "Tr00metalstorm." Nu metal, (unfortunately) metalcore and (very unfortunately) power metal deserve a place here. Oh, and if you are going to make a complaint about a band, don't be a pussy and say "they suck" or "they aren't tr00." Actually listen to the band, make your own decisions, and come with a reason why you dislike the band. NOTE: What you think of the band. Not what your friends think of the band, or the myriad of other cliche'd metalheads think.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
29.11.2010 - 12:39
vex_sparks

What can i say? i absolutely love system of a down, i remember listening to the bands albums over and over again all day long on repeat when i was younger, all the solo work since has been really impressive, but i do hope they decide to create some new music as a full band again, if thats at all possible.
17.12.2010 - 16:11
Shield

Written by Elodie Artour on 18.04.2010 at 22:49

By the way, is it true that they're re-uniting?

Some people say that they are re-uniting and will play in Armenia at the summer. will see
18.12.2010 - 10:28
Shield

European Dates Announced
Hello All,

We are excited to announce that System will be playing some dates together in 2011.

We also want to thank you for your loyalty and support, not only to System Of A Down, but to all of our solo efforts as well. We have no master plan of sorts - we are playing these shows simply because we want to play together again as a band and for you, our amazing fans.

The list of dates and on-sale information for these shows is below.

We look forward to seeing all of you!

Peace,

System Of A Down

6/2/11 - Italy, Milan, Milan Fiera Arena
6/4/11 - Germany, Nurnberg, Rock im Park
6/5/11 - Germany, Nurburgring, Rock am Ring
6/6/11 - France, Paris, Omnisports de Bercy
6/9/11 - Switzerland, Interlaken, Greenfield Festival
6/11/11 - UK, Castle Donington, Download Festival
6/13/11 - Austria, Nickelsdorf, Novarock
6/15/11 - Germany, Berlin, Wuhlheide
6/17/11 - Sweden, Gothenburg, Metaltown Festival
6/19/11 - Finland, Seinajoki, Provinssirock

citation form www.systemofadown.com
20.01.2011 - 21:57
MordecaiHexagram

You're an idiot if you don't see how they're metal.

Hell, look at all the metal bands that influenced the band members. Daron and Shavo loved bands like Slayer, Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, and Serj was influenced by Iron Maiden after seeing them live. They're the band that inspired him to front a metal band.
23.03.2011 - 08:14
Void_Eater
Account deleted
System of a Down really isn't that much of a metal band- They pretty much have their own style, one of he things I love about them. Anyways, important band in me getting into metal, even if they aren't completly metal. The video for Cigaro made me laugh so hard(get the pun? lolololol), and still does.