Metal Storm logo
Shape of Despair

Original post

Posted by Vunts, 18.05.2006 - 17:33
I thought that i will let this band go in the extreme sub-forum. As will all the other funeral doom bands' threads that i will ever be making. Funeral doom is just an even more extreme doom genre than death/doom, thus this thread being here.
I really love the band. Best funeral doom i've heard. And while i haven't heard all that much, i reall really enjoy the music. The song that got me into them was Night's Dew. It isn't exactly my favourite song, but it presents some awesome melodies. The thing i like about the band is the word "doom" seems to be written all over their songs.
All of the 3 CDs are awesome. I still can't pick a favourite, but In the Mist is an awesome song. So is Woundheir.
From Angels of Distress i atm most like Quiet These Paintings Are and ...To Live For My Death
From Illusion's Play i like Sleep Mirrored and Entwined in Misery.

The named songs aren't of course the only ones that i enjoy, but they were the first that came to my head. Anyways, that thing aside, the more important thing is that they have NO songs that i dislike! Picking favourites is hard, but picking bad songs is easy. I failed to do the latter. Some songs are more key-influenced, but it's done in a doomish way to present a whole new level of soundscape. I totally appreciate that.

Poll

Yes or no

I like them
Hadn't heard of them before this thread
I dislike them

Total votes: 81
13.10.2009 - 13:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 13.10.2009 at 06:50

it's been, what, five years since they released anything. anyone know what they are up to?

I don't know anything about it either. Two members are in Finntroll though so maybe those twoa re kinda bussy. But I don't think that would be a good excuse.

now that think of it, I want more material from this band
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.06.2010 - 03:29
whatsacow
One of the best bands i have ever heard, beautiful, crushing, heavy as fuck! everything doom metal should be.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.02.2011 - 15:44
Night Sight
Best funeral doom metal band ever
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
04.02.2011 - 17:34
Luneth
Account deleted
I like Shape of Despair quite a bit, 'Shape Of...' is a brilliant album.
04.02.2011 - 21:12
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
That's the brand of funeral doom I quite dislike, to be honest. I can't stand this overly romantic and sentimental tone which is my own fault, I guess. But since my favorites from that the genre are Evoken and Wormphlegm my disdain for SoD isn't probably completely surprising.
05.02.2011 - 01:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by John Barleycorn on 04.02.2011 at 21:12

That's the brand of funeral doom I quite dislike, to be honest. I can't stand this overly romantic and sentimental tone which is my own fault, I guess. But since my favorites from that the genre are Evoken and Wormphlegm my disdain for SoD isn't probably completely surprising.

While I like them specifically for that tone, I understand where you're coming from. It might sound odd, but if I listen to the music for what it is, I really like it. But when I listen to it as "funeral doom", I listen as kind of an elitist and shun it for being too accessible.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.10.2012 - 20:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.10.2012 at 20:24

Shape of vinyl: http://www.facebook.com/AftermathMusicNorway/posts/372115212868263

Shame Aftermath does those vinyl re-releases. I would have prefered Rusty Crowbar or Svart. Especially Svart since they always put a lot of effort into their vinyl releases.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2019 - 13:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Shape of Despair Official
52 mins ·
Some updates from us. Our upcoming album is starting to take its shape with small steps. Total dose of sadness and misery for the rainy days.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing