Metal Storm logo
A Killjoy's Guide to the Underground: Chapter I

Written by: Troy Killjoy
Published: 15.04.2012

Aggressive Mutilator - Gutpuking - Satan's Hammer

"Gutpuking" and "Satan's Hammer" are two underdeveloped thrashing black metal tracks that mix the few good parts of Venom with the most extreme parts of Inquisition, while somehow venturing into humorous territory with lyrics that will have you choking down laughter. This demo will make you feel like Satan's hammer is penetrating your asshole. With little in terms of variation and plenty in terms of focus, be prepared for seven minutes of sodomy.

Listen: http://aggressivemutilator.bandcamp.com/

Bloodmoon - Orenda

This is not by any means a straightforward black metal release. In fact, Orenda is an interesting blend of sludgy, atmospheric black metal with traces of brutal death metal thrown in. That's right, you have some Sven de Caluwé-esque deep gutturals juxtaposed with high-pitched growls, laid-back melancholic melodic passages and ethereal background chants, and then some ripping black metal mayhem. Bloodmoon do well to maintain their journey without straying from their objective, and such cohesion is at the very least an impressive aspect considering Orenda is a debut demo.

Listen: http://bloodmoonslo.bandcamp.com/album/orenda

Bloodwraith - Promo 2012

Another two-track demo that seems to draw influence from early Samael and Burzum's self-titled debut. This guy, Wargoat, is so grim and frostbitten he didn't even properly align the album cover without cropping out the white stuff. That level of unprofessionalism or apathy is prevalent in the music, as its amateurish compositions make it simple and easy to digest. This demo is a pretty decent mid-paced doomy black metal release with some raw and unrefined vocals and, to nobody's surprise, simple drum work.

Listen: http://bloodwraith.bandcamp.com/

Flagellant - Apotheosis

Flagellant take the black metal approach with a slightly more serious tone, releasing a one-track demo that spans 16 minutes, and the material is there to back up such a release. Although the way this is thrown together it's more like a handful of separate songs were thrown into one file. The tortured vocals and DIY-style production coupled with some simplistic-yet-nostalgic instrumentation makes for a far less comical listen and a much more engaging one. It has moments capable of mesmerizing the listener with its hazy sound, and maintains its sense of simplistic nostalgia.

Listen: http://rapedbyflagellant.bandcamp.com/

Rhuith - Manes Falsimonia

Manes Falsimonia is a pretty fucked up demo. Kind of like something you'd expect to be used as the soundtrack to Begotten. The droning guitars are incredibly high in the mix, and the shoegaze vibe is about as blatant as heard on the latest Alcest release. This one-man project utilizes ethereal elements wonderfully, mixing them in with a truly desolate atmosphere, which all benefit from an almost entirely clean vocal output, ranging from muffled shrieks to operatic chants. Bits of Lifelover and Verwüstung should keep you interested until the bitter end.

Listen: http://rhuith.bandcamp.com/album/manes-falsimonia

Shadows in the Crypt - The Baphomental Affliction

The Baphomental Affliction is a promotional demo released by a two-member band preparing for a full-length later this year. What you get here is three rather typical black metal tracks that span a total of about 15 minutes, with some quality material to boot. While they don't bring anything new to the table, they definitely understand what it takes to find a home with the rest of the Hornas and Crafts of the black metal scene. The riffs seem somewhat improvised and incredibly catchy, while the rest of the instruments fall perfectly into place behind some top-notch shrieking.

Listen: http://shadowsinthecrypt.bandcamp.com/

Written on 15.04.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 56   Visited by: 518 users
17.04.2012 - 18:04
Branzig

I have already checked out most of these albums ironically enough lol.

But I hadn't heard the Bloodmoon release and it was enjoyable.

Great set-up and article idea. I am glad that there is someone else out there who is listening to the unheard of shit, and cheers for bringing it front and center for others to hear as well!
----
In Grind We Crust
17.04.2012 - 18:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Branzig on 17.04.2012 at 18:04
I have already checked out most of these albums ironically enough lol. But I hadn't heard the Bloodmoon release and it was enjoyable. Great set-up and article idea. I am glad that there is someone else out there who is listening to the unheard of shit, and cheers for bringing it front and center for others to hear as well!

I honestly didn't expect you to discover much of anything you haven't already heard, but it's nice to see Bloodmoon getting some love here. Thanks for the positive words, hopefully I get some more readers next month!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 06:29
inner_peace
Account deleted
I'm yet to tread into this genre - apart from some brief listens.

So I appreciate this guide.
18.04.2012 - 06:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 06:29

By no means is this a guide into black metal as a whole. If you're looking for that I'd suggest looking into the forums a little deeper and searching for black metal recommendation threads.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 10:36
inner_peace
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 06:42

Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 06:29

By no means is this a guide into black metal as a whole. If you're looking for that I'd suggest looking into the forums a little deeper and searching for black metal recommendation threads.

Of course - I understand.

I wasn't sure if the music you posted was in its own field etc. as while I'm not a Black Metal elitist, I have listened to many Black Metal albums - but have no real knowledge in the genre and its 'many' sub genres etc.
18.04.2012 - 16:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 10:36
I wasn't sure if the music you posted was in its own field etc. as while I'm not a Black Metal elitist, I have listened to many Black Metal albums - but have no real knowledge in the genre and its 'many' sub genres etc.

Essentially this isn't limited to any specific black metal subgenres, but my goal is to highlight as many underground black metal demos as possible.

Which means I'll mostly be reviewing lo-fi/raw black metal, but you'll still get the odd depressive/melodic/atmo-black and hybrids.
----
18.04.2012 - 19:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Finally checked everything. The ones I liked were Rhuith and Bloodmoon. Great things can come from those bands.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2012 - 19:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.04.2012 at 19:41
Finally checked everything. The ones I liked were Rhuith and Bloodmoon. Great things can come from those bands.

Surprised you didn't like Flagellant.
----
18.04.2012 - 19:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 19:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.04.2012 at 19:41

Surprised you didn't like Flagellant.

Huh, I forgot about them, great stuff too! Although I must admit I heard only a third but I'll check out the rest of the song but I liked what I heard. Bloodmoon and Rhuith definitely won the race though.

Special mention to Shadows in the Crypt. Well executed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.04.2012 - 19:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.04.2012 at 19:46
Special mention to Shadows in the Crypt. Well executed.

Hopefully I'll be able to review the full-length when it's released.
----
21.04.2012 - 00:28
InnerSelf
proofread free
WOW that Bloodmoon release turned out to be great ! will slowly go through the rest
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
22.04.2012 - 19:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I gave Bloodmoon a listen, that is some pretty out-of-the-box stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.04.2012 - 02:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.04.2012 at 19:03
I gave Bloodmoon a listen, that is some pretty out-of-the-box stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

My pleasure.
----
23.04.2012 - 22:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
At first, I thought you were recommending Dark Funeral, then I thought you were recommending a band called Flatulent, and after that I had to sit back and reassess my whole reading situation.
23.04.2012 - 22:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I do wonder why is the Dark Funeral logo there...
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.04.2012 - 05:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2012 at 22:44

Because I'm teaching children to worship Satan.
----
24.04.2012 - 05:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.04.2012 at 05:06

Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2012 at 22:44

Because I'm teaching children to worship Satan.

I also thought that was wierd.

You should have done, like a satanic grandma or something.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.04.2012 - 05:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 05:47

I definitely don't see how that's any better. And it's hard to illustrate a Satanist as they don't necessarily dress in any typical way aside from the leathered-out upside-down cross-bearing Hollywood stereotype.
----
24.04.2012 - 06:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.04.2012 at 05:59

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 05:47

I definitely don't see how that's any better. And it's hard to illustrate a Satanist as they don't necessarily dress in any typical way aside from the leathered-out upside-down cross-bearing Hollywood stereotype.

I just think that Demo's and Dark Funeral don't fit.

Not a big deal really, I'm just bored :/
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.04.2012 - 06:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 06:02

It's just a simple play on words from an EP that pays homage to anti-Christian metal, which is more or less the point of this publication. It's a mockery of a stereotype I suppose.
----
24.04.2012 - 14:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.04.2012 at 06:06

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 06:02

It's just a simple play on words from an EP that pays homage to anti-Christian metal, which is more or less the point of this publication. It's a mockery of a stereotype I suppose.

*checks EP*

*Has no Idea it was actually called "Teaching Children To Worship Satan", now this makes sense*
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.04.2012 - 15:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 14:43
*Has no Idea it was actually called "Teaching Children To Worship Satan", now this makes sense*

File it under "what happens when you talk about things you don't know".
----
24.04.2012 - 18:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.04.2012 at 15:37

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.04.2012 at 14:43

File it under "what happens when you talk about things you don't know".

Yeah. King Derp right here.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.04.2012 - 00:40
Asunder

Rhuith - Manes Falsimonia
deep album cover..
19.04.2020 - 16:46
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
So is this like you own version of the Clandestine Cuts?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
20.04.2020 - 05:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 19.04.2020 at 16:46

So is this like you own version of the Clandestine Cuts?

It was intended to specifically highlight new underground black metal demos and EPs in the same way the Cuts showcase demos and EPs across the entire metal spectrum. I gave up on it as scheduling conflicts arose and never returned to it...
----

Hits total: 10401 | This month: 24