Style: Doom metal, Atmospheric sludge metal
Release date: June 2012

01. Empire
02. Blindfold
03. Harvest
04. Cleanse
05. Fæmin

When Marcel reviewed Process Of Guilt's monstrous Erosion in 2009, he noted:

"?the band have now moved on towards to a more, what some would probably call, post-doom sound."

Suffice it to say that observation is even more true with 2012's Faemin, where the band further move in that direction. Rest assured, dear reader, this is not the ethereal wussy style post, but the Cult Of Neurosis bludgeoning by riff type. They also incorporate an organic version of Godflesh's mechanized assault. The end result of co-opting these elements with Process Of Guilt's own style is five tracks of visceral riff fest laid over a foundation of tribal drumming.

Admittedly it took some time to process and accept, particularly given how amazing Erosion was and the expectation of a continuation of that style. The opening track, "Empire," begins with a trudging riff that while introducing the approach? usually albums seem to open with their strongest track, and "Empire" is my least favorite of these five. It sort of ambles along for a couple minutes in a Neurosis-like build-up that has you waiting for it to finally explode.

After that, things really started to click.

The remaining four tracks feel much stronger. Crushing riffs, pounding drums given a bit more of a raw sound in the production envelope and overwhelm the listener. "Cleanse" has momentary mellow bits for a few seconds of respite before resuming the assault. The chorus of "Harvest", 'Blood! Harvest!" harkens back to the bellowed chorus of Godflesh's "Locust Furnace."

All in all it is a gripping, unrelenting listen. Once Faemin gets its momentum going it is a crushing wall of sound.

Initially it might be a bit of a surprise as it feels like a continuation of what they've been doing, only accelerated as at first listen it seems maybe two or three albums removed from Erosion rather than a follow-up. Process Of Guilt has shown over albums and EPs a willingness to evolve, making each iteration work and uniquely their own. This holds true for Faemin as well - I've referenced a lot of influences they've allowed in to the sound, but they still make it their own.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 08.05.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 213 users
08.05.2012 - 18:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
"Admittedly it took some time to process and accept, particularly given how amazing Erosion was and the expectation of a continuation of that style."

This is why I haven't listened to the entire thing yet. I'm trying to remove Erosion from my mind temporarily because from what I've read (this review included) it's not just more of the same. Hopefully I'm able to do that and appreciate this for what it is.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2012 - 20:18
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR
Good review, hope the album is good...Harvest didn't really blow my hair back, but need the full meal deal to form any sort of opinion.
08.05.2012 - 21:42
Rating: 10
PēterisP
Just got my pre-ordered copy.

Have listened for 5 times. It's not worse than Erosion, it's just different. Last track Fæmin is mesmerizing masterpiece.
----
Metalhead since 1987
09.05.2012 - 12:53
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
The track on their bandcamp sounds great. Will check out the full album sometime
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.05.2012 - 18:43
Dark Blood
The Avenger
This is something to look into, most definitely.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.05.2012 - 19:11
Truant
Was a big fan of Renounce, but didn't listen much after that. Might check this out then.
09.05.2012 - 19:16
Not impressed by the new sludgy sound... only listened to "Harvest", though...
09.05.2012 - 19:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.05.2012 at 19:16

Not impressed by the new sludgy sound

Sludgy? In the atmospheric sludge, Cult of Luna, way yes (lots of CoL here). But otherwise I'd say not.
10.05.2012 - 00:52
Written by Guest on 09.05.2012 at 19:18

Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.05.2012 at 19:16

Not impressed by the new sludgy sound

Sludgy? In the atmospheric sludge, Cult of Luna, way yes (lots of CoL here). But otherwise I'd say not.

well, yes... previous stuff was a tad different, but regardless, again, judging on one track, I thought they conformed to a rather boring "heard a million times before" sludgy sound... to be honest, I was expecting a progression on the previous album... to me , this is a regression. Only a personal opinion.
10.05.2012 - 00:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 00:52

well, yes... previous stuff was a tad different, but regardless, again, judging on one track, I thought they conformed to a rather boring "heard a million times before" sludgy sound... to be honest, I was expecting a progression on the previous album... to me , this is a regression. Only a personal opinion.

I've only heard this one song and that's my reaction. I like Cult of Luna but I don't want more than one of that band, which is what I got from Harvest.
10.05.2012 - 09:44
Written by Guest on 10.05.2012 at 00:55

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 00:52

I've only heard this one song and that's my reaction. I like Cult of Luna but I don't want more than one of that band, which is what I got from Harvest.

I love Cult of Luna... but, as you say, we don't need another one. I will reserve my judgment until I've heard the entire album... I'm not against a changing of direction per se, it's just not the changing of direction I was expecting. I'm sure there will be many people who will love this.
10.05.2012 - 10:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 09:44

I love Cult of Luna... but, as you say, we don't need another one. I will reserve my judgment until I've heard the entire album... I'm not against a changing of direction per se, it's just not the changing of direction I was expecting. I'm sure there will be many people who will love this.

I don''t really see this new one as a change of direction when you compare it to eorsion. Erosion already had a lot of the elements, you can find on Faemin, in it. This is more or less the move I expected from them. Process Of Guilt moving further away from doom (even though there is still doom present) and moving further into a post metal direction.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 10:29
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2012 at 10:23

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 09:44

I don''t really see this new one as a change of direction when you compare it to eorsion. Erosion already had a lot of the elements, you can find on Faemin, in it. This is more or less the move I expected from them. Process Of Guilt moving further away from doom (even though there is still doom present) and moving further into a post metal direction.

you don't? I haven't listened to the whole album, and yes, there are elements in Erosion already, but Erosion is a very doomy album. The style of singing is completely different on the song I listened to (Harvest). I suppose I was expecting more doom....
10.05.2012 - 10:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:29

I suppose I was expecting more doom....

If you were expecting more doom then it''s clear you have no idea what Process of Guilt and especially Hugo Santos are all about
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 10:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I have to agree with Marcel there. There was absolutely no reason to expect a "more doom" album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2012 - 10:45
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2012 at 10:34

If you were expecting more doom then it''s clear you have no idea what Process of Guilt and especially Hugo Santos are all about

No, I don't... but maybe I should have said a more 'doomy' album... Process of Guilt have never been 100% doom, probably not even 50%... doesn't surprise me they are exploring 'new' avenues... anyway, Erosion came out in 2009 and, if you take into consideration the gestation period, it was eons ago...
10.05.2012 - 10:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:45

anyway, Erosion came out in 2009 and, if you take into consideration the gestation period, it was eons ago...

yep, with the stop gap limited e.p. Circle in between which had all sorts of remixes of that song.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 10:47
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.05.2012 at 10:44

I have to agree with Marcel there. There was absolutely no reason to expect a "more doom" album.

Hope springs eternal...
10.05.2012 - 10:48
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2012 at 10:46

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:45

anyway, Erosion came out in 2009 and, if you take into consideration the gestation period, it was eons ago...

yep, with the stop gap limited e.p. Circle in between which had all sorts of remixes of that song.

which I thought was a useless experiment...
10.05.2012 - 10:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:48

which I thought was a useless experiment...

I didn''t because it showed the band's inspirations and vision and actually had a couple of interesting takes on the song on it. But it wasn''t for everyone that''s why they limited it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 11:02
I'm all for progress and innovation, but I was expecting more innovation than a boring, derivative sludgy sound...
10.05.2012 - 11:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:47

Hope springs eternal...

... an incredibly amusing sentiment from a doom merchant...

----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.05.2012 - 11:06
Written by BitterCOld on 10.05.2012 at 11:05

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 10:47

Hope springs eternal...

... an incredibly amusing sentiment from a doom merchant...

ah, ah, lol... touché!
10.05.2012 - 17:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

Same, although I haven't listened to it to get a full grasp of the situation (and as Marcel pointed out, I guess I don't know what the band members are all about or whatever but it's not like I hang out with them at my house).

Based on what I got from Erosion, and Renounce, I wasn't expecting a transition into post-metal. And to be honest, I have no interest in the genre myself which will suck for me if this album is more post than doom... but whatevs. Bands do what they want and listeners either like it or they don't. I just didn't imagine myself not liking one of their releases so early. :/

That being said, I still have to listen to the whole thing before I officially label this "good" or "bad".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.05.2012 - 17:52
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.05.2012 at 17:28

but it's not like I hang out with them at my house

looks like Marcel does... BTW, I will be able to make a more informed judgment when I can listen to the whole thing... hopefully, soon, if I get a promo...
10.05.2012 - 17:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 17:52

but it's not like I hang out with them at my house

looks like Marcel does...

Not with Process Of Guilt (yet? )

For hanging out at my house you need to contact Procession, Ataraxie, Mourning Dawn
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2012 - 18:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Based on what I got from Erosion, and Renounce, I wasn't expecting a transition into post-metal.

This is the part I don't get. I felt it was obvious. Renounce is as far as I remember more of a Black/doom release... But with Erosion it was some Death/Doom thing but with clearly MANY influences of post-metal. Yeah... They were "just" influences but listening to the entire album makes me feel like these guys obviously were going in that path.

...and I don't know them * , just saying from what I'm listening

* = Well, I met Hugo and bought Erosion directly from him ... But I was stupid enough to not ask him to sign it. Oh well...
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2012 - 18:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.05.2012 at 18:20
They were "just" influences but listening to the entire album makes me feel like these guys obviously were going in that path.

I thought they would just continue with that style. But by the sound of it they've kind of done a reversal - from post-influenced doom metal to doom-influenced post-metal.
----
10.05.2012 - 18:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.05.2012 at 18:22

I thought they would just continue with that style. But by the sound of it they've kind of done a reversal - from post-influenced doom metal to doom-influenced post-metal.

Welp, I haven't heard this either. Marcel says it's still doom enough to call it doom metal, we'll see.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.05.2012 - 18:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
It's not total post, but it is a step further down the road than i thought they'd be on album 3. if Renounce is Point A, Erosion Point B, Faemin seems more like Point D or E.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 6356 | This month: 20