Metal Storm logo
Has Symphonic Metal Become a Cliche?

Original post

Posted by , 22.05.2012 - 18:51
The great After Forever are no more. Bal-Sagoth are never going to release an album again (probably). Therion and Epica are but pale shadows of what they used to be and Nightwish's latest album might as well have been called Imaginaerum: Nightwish On Autopilot. On top of that, Xandria's latest and quite boring album is being hailed by many as some sort of savior of the genre. As a huge fan of symphonic metal and it's sub genres (symphonic power, death etc) I am worried. It seems that too many bands nowadays use symphonic elements not because they add much to the music, but to disguise the fact that they are just not very good metal bands. Anyone - and I mean that literally - can add a Carmina Burana ooh! aah! choir to the chorus of their frustratingly simplistic four chord song or attach some pointless violin melodies (if you can call them that) to their mediocre riffs. This takes no effort and far too many bands are doing it. In addition to that, most former great symphonic metal bands have either called it quits (the wise choice) or have gone downhill big time. I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider "Imaginaerum" or "Requiem For The Indifferent" to be in the same category of greatness as "Oceanborn" or "The Phantom Agony". So, what are your thoughts on this? Has symphonic metal become a cliche and if so, are there any bands out there who can bring dignity back to one of the most epic genres of music to ever exist?
16.11.2015 - 23:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think it was in a past but in last 1 year no, we have many female fronted and sympho band sbut somehow they don't get such attention as in a past, because many basucaly like in every other genre don't create anything what woul make money to label company and even they get noticed more because of I net, pre I net era they would be just demo home town band whit 3 gigs in naibouyr town
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.02.2020 - 23:23
I think that while the songwriting of Holopainen has definately become more mainstream, the band is currently at its best with Floor, Kai, Marko, Emppu, Tuomas and Troy. Devil in the Deep Dark Ocean (with Floor and Marko, and Kai) is one of my favorite Nightwish songs yet I hate the Studio Version, and I never would have gotten into Nightwish when they still had Tarja. Nightwish has always been a hit and miss band--ex: I love Poet and the Pendulum, Ghost Love Score, Ghost River, The Greatest Show on Earth, Romantacide, Slaying the Dreamer, and Master Passion Greed-when Floor does these songs-yet I never was a fan of Beauty and the Beast, My Walden, Bye, Bye Beautiful, or Pharoh Sails to Orion. I agree that it is harder to find good symphonic metal. As a lover of female fronted bands, Opera IX's Cadaveria left to form her own band which has become little more than symphonic pop rock with a few growls. Tristania's Veland Morten left and Tristania became commercial trash, while Morten's band Sirenia first album was the polar opposite of Nightwish. In Nightwish, the synth drowns out everything, in In Sixes and Sevens, the synth wasn't even audible! Not to mention that Sirenia is worse than Nightwish about going through female vocalists (of which the only tolerable one was Fabian). And apparently Amaranthe is "symphonic metal". I have never liked Within Tempation or EPICA. I agree that quality symphonic metal is hard to find and I have only started to get into the genre
27.02.2020 - 00:13
I liked the Penumbra release except I hated the female vocalist. Man, I miss Vibeke Stene
27.02.2020 - 01:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Have we reached 2020?

Has the sky turned blue?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.02.2020 - 05:15
Is that a reference?