02. 17 Shades
03. Serenity
04. Beneath These Falling Leaves
05. Close To Me
06. Endless Sea
07. All The Pieces
08. Your Reward

Additional info
Available for streaming on bandcamp for free.
Physical copies can be purchased from the official site.

This album was recorded between June 2011 and May 2012 at Fat Cat Recording Studios in Sacramento CA.

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
A Fair Dream Gone Mad is one heck of a progressive metal album, debut or not. Did that just get your attention? Not convinced? Well, you won't be expecting many of the clichés of this sub-genre here, nor references to Dream Theater, Riverside, Fates Warning and such.

Read more ››
published 26.07.2012 | Comments (30)

Whoa! Where did this come from?!

What In The Silence have managed to achieve with this, their self-financed & independently released debut is nothing short of remarkable. The beautiful yet haunting atmosphere, intricate songwriting & talented musicianship displayed throughout this album will leave you spellbound. This may well just be one of the best debut albums of the year. A must for all fans of progressive metal.

Go check them out.

Nefarious's picks | More picks ››

Found in 50 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 71   Visited by: 1023 users
06.07.2012 - 12:48
Rating: 10
DeadKing
This a really EPIC album! The Best Debut of the year!!!! Reminds me to Katatonia, Riverside, Opeth, etc. Hauntingly, beautiful music that touches your soul and expand your mind.
07.07.2012 - 03:10
Rating: 9
Mechaniacal
One of the best debut albums I've ever heard, and the best debut album of 2012. 'Beneath These Falling Leaves' is one of the best songs I've heard all year.
07.07.2012 - 05:48
moribun
Interesting debut, I'm sure they have great potentials.
07.07.2012 - 13:54
Dark Seraphim
I read this on the staff picks and it interested me enough to have a listen. Sounded really good so I ordered the album. Got an e-mail from them thanking me and saying mine was the first CD they have shipped to the UK. Was a nice personal touch and they also sent the lyrics in the e-mail since they aren't in the CD. Looking forward to this arriving. Thanks to Nefarious for bringing this to my attention.
07.07.2012 - 14:24
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
Written by Dark Seraphim on 07.07.2012 at 13:54

I read this on the staff picks and it interested me enough to have a listen. Sounded really good so I ordered the album. Got an e-mail from them thanking me and saying mine was the first CD they have shipped to the UK. Was a nice personal touch and they also sent the lyrics in the e-mail since they aren't in the CD. Looking forward to this arriving. Thanks to Nefarious for bringing this to my attention.

You are welcome I'm glad others are checking them out & enjoying them as much as I did.

I got the same treatment when i ordered the CD as well. They wrote a nice email thinking me for buying the album & then asked a few questions about me & where i'm from as they guessed that from my name (Glenn) that i'm not a native of UAE It's nice to see a band genuinely interested & appreciative of their fans
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
07.07.2012 - 21:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I've just finished listening to it, I loved it, a very good album indeed.
09.07.2012 - 17:42
MechanisT
Account deleted
Intriguing. I'll pay them a visit soon.
09.07.2012 - 20:15
Rating: 8
Risto
Wandering Midget
There's three solid tracks on this one, but it's a bit hit-and-miss overall. And a word of warning to those who expect prog, I already disputed the genre tag elsewhere. Definitely atmospheric though - kind of like if Shinedown went less radio friendly.
09.07.2012 - 21:05
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Risto on 09.07.2012 at 20:15

I already disputed the genre tag elsewhere.

Elsewhere = on my facebook wall
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.07.2012 - 23:14
InnerSelf
proofread free
I got a Junius vibe and I've just recently discovered Junius so this album was pleasant, dunno if it'll get any better with time but I'll enjoy it to the maximum while it lasts.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
10.07.2012 - 04:20
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Very interesting album judging from what I've heard of it. This might be something I'd want to have.

Is it just me that the album title reminds of "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" from Katatonia?
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
11.07.2012 - 08:50
♱ RaVeN ♱
Written by DeadKing on 06.07.2012 at 12:48

This a really EPIC album! The Best Debut of the year!!!! Reminds me to Katatonia, Riverside, Opeth, etc. Hauntingly, beautiful music that touches your soul and expand your mind.

I'm not sure i would compare them to Katatonia, Riverside or Opeth. Their music is quite different, more in the likes of Ghost Brigade etc. But for a debut album ,this is really good
11.07.2012 - 18:15
DeadKing
And reminds me to Paradise Lost too LoL ! and I think is a really good debut too!
11.07.2012 - 18:23
Fredd
Account deleted
Will check out soon.
13.07.2012 - 06:26
Hey everyone, this is Josh from In the Silence. Thanks for all the kind words and for taking the time to give this a listen! And thanks again to Nefarious for the pick. As to whether we're prog or not, I don't know, we've never really set out to be. I don't even know if I would call us metal, but we certainly have our metal moments. I just write music, and it is what it is. We'll never be the gods of technicality...there's plenty of that out there. Opeth is one of my favorite bands, but I don't think we sound like them at all, and we aren't trying to, but if we remind you of them, cool! They rule! We're more going for a mood, or a feeling, and if people get that from our music then great. Katatonia is now one of my favorite bands...I got into them when i realized hey, they kinda sound like us! And to Blizk, I am now curious which three songs you felt were solid, and which ones were shit! Lol. Thanks again everyone.
-Josh
----
-Josh, In the Silence
13.07.2012 - 15:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by InthesilenceJosh on 13.07.2012 at 06:26

Hey everyone, this is Josh from In the Silence. Thanks for all the kind words and for taking the time to give this a listen! And thanks again to Nefarious for the pick. As to whether we're prog or not, I don't know, we've never really set out to be. I don't even know if I would call us metal, but we certainly have our metal moments. I just write music, and it is what it is. We'll never be the gods of technicality...there's plenty of that out there. Opeth is one of my favorite bands, but I don't think we sound like them at all, and we aren't trying to, but if we remind you of them, cool! They rule! We're more going for a mood, or a feeling, and if people get that from our music then great. Katatonia is now one of my favorite bands...I got into them when i realized hey, they kinda sound like us! And to Blizk, I am now curious which three songs you felt were solid, and which ones were shit! Lol. Thanks again everyone.
-Josh

Hey man, thanks for the great music
Personally I don't think you sound like Opeth at all but in terms of the general atmosphere and the way you're music makes me feel it certainly reminds me of Katatonia (which is always a good thing).
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.07.2012 - 16:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by InthesilenceJosh on 13.07.2012 at 06:26

And to Blizk, I am now curious which three songs you felt were solid, and which ones were shit! Lol.

Hey Josh,

Tracks 1, 4 and 8 are the ones ("Beneath These Falling Leaves" is actually something that can't be disliked, props for that). I wouldn't call the lesser tracks shit, just something that's unmemorable and heard many times before (apart some nice single riffs) "Endless Sea" in particular.
13.07.2012 - 18:55
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
I personally love every song on this album, especially 'Endless Sea'. And i also see the 'prog' label clearly (intricate musicianship, use of classical instrumentation & arrangements etc) although i agree without a doubt that the key word in defining the band is 'Atmospheric'. That is the wonderful thing about the subjectiveness of music though, we technically all hear the same thing yet interpret it so differently
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
13.07.2012 - 21:56
Thanks again for the feedback. You know, Endless Sea is one of those songs, where I think certain people just won't get into it, and that's fine, especially if you mostly like progressive metal, probably not gonna dig it, cause it is not metal or progressive at all. Then again, some hard-core Death metal friends of ours said that's their favorite, so who knows! It's like shoe-gaze metal. It's a simple song, just with a lot of layers, and if you get into that main melody and the feeling of the song, or the lyrics, you'll love it, and if not, it's ok with me. It's always interesting to me to hear different peoples takes on things; some people have told me their favorites are close to me, Endless Sea, and All the Pieces, others love Serenity and 17 shades. Right now, my favorites are the first four on the album. I will say, Beneath These Falling Leaves is the song I'm probably most proud of, especially after we got Jarek to put the GuitarViol parts on it! Anyway, glad to see so much positive feedback on here! Cheers.
----
-Josh, In the Silence
14.07.2012 - 19:54
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Your Reward is my favourite. The chorus is one of the best I have heard in quite some time. Set it as my ringtone lol
----
loves 小巫
19.07.2012 - 00:39
Hooman
I really love every track on this great album. In the Silence is one of my favorite bands now. Thanks JOSH!!!
26.07.2012 - 23:08
omjaimes
omjaimes
Written by InthesilenceJosh on 13.07.2012 at 21:56

Thanks again for the feedback. You know, Endless Sea is one of those songs, where I think certain people just won't get into it, and that's fine, especially if you mostly like progressive metal, probably not gonna dig it, cause it is not metal or progressive at all. Then again, some hard-core Death metal friends of ours said that's their favorite, so who knows! It's like shoe-gaze metal. It's a simple song, just with a lot of layers, and if you get into that main melody and the feeling of the song, or the lyrics, you'll love it, and if not, it's ok with me. It's always interesting to me to hear different peoples takes on things; some people have told me their favorites are close to me, Endless Sea, and All the Pieces, others love Serenity and 17 shades. Right now, my favorites are the first four on the album. I will say, Beneath These Falling Leaves is the song I'm probably most proud of, especially after we got Jarek to put the GuitarViol parts on it! Anyway, glad to see so much positive feedback on here! Cheers.

Thanks, I really enjoy this album, I hope your band continue to give us great music, nice debut man!
27.07.2012 - 00:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I love when band members take the time and give us some feedback. Just awesome.
----
rekt
02.08.2012 - 03:04

Account deleted
This album is simply awesome.
05.08.2012 - 17:48
Night Sight
I dont see much similarity to katatonia
something more similar to insomnium with more emotional vibe
not bad at all but i cant decide if its get better after more listens or not
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
05.08.2012 - 20:28
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Impeccable musicianship is what makes this so enjoyable I think, plus I like the vibe, brings to mind Katatonia and Riverside mostly. Not an entirely original style but very strong performance nonetheless. Hard to pick a standout as it's all on a fairly equal footing but "Beneath These Falling Leaves" is stunning.
06.08.2012 - 08:20
Death_95
Very good album.
07.08.2012 - 19:03
diy
This album is really atmospheric,it makes me feel sleepy and thats what i like about a metal album,it makes me think,and after all,this is a real ''music'' as an art,just a 10 can represents what i tell you.
09.08.2012 - 20:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
This is awesome! Breakthrough album of the year so far for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.08.2012 - 01:13
JÄY
Metal slave
I wish I didnt associate atmospheric with boring...turns me off so fast
"boring progressive metal"
which is basically:
"boring boring metal"

Hits total: 22825 | This month: 20