01. A Blade For Twilight
02. Pyramid Of The Cold Son
03. Blood Of Ancients, Blood Of Hatred
04. Void Alchemy

Top 20 albums of 2012: 16

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Passion. I suppose that's what it's all about with these one man black metal bands: pure, unadulterated, single-minded passion. Something about the isolation from the main networks of black metal and the larger society as a whole impacts the artistic vision and strength of these bands in simply magnificent ways. It's been 6 years since Elysian Blaze main man Mutatiis has dropped an album, but right away with his 2012 offering, he shows us he hasn't merely been twiddling his thumbs all that time. The result of the past decade's creative dedication has spawned Blood Geometry, an over two hour, double disc magnum opus of all the trademarks Mutatiis has become known for that also, indeed, takes such techniques to new heights.

Read more ››
published 01.02.2013 | Comments (25)

Everything bleak and awful in the world beautifully compiled into more than two hours of torturous melancholy.

Troy Killjoy's picks | More picks ››

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 562 users
31.07.2012 - 17:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So... this sounds amazing?

31.07.2012 - 17:27
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 17:22
So... this sounds amazing?

Absolutely. Also:
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 20:58
Jam4Lyfe
Account deleted
Yes i love this album. Its so hardcore and reminds me of some sick WP jams from the mid 90's. This album is a perfect 10, probably the best album ever next to Fatboy by Moe.
06.08.2012 - 21:50
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Haha, I couldn't even get through this. It's not bad at all -- in fact, it's pretty damn alright -- but in this amount of time I can listen to Rain Upon The Impure and Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite back to back and get like 5,000,000X more awesomeness out of them. This thing would be a lot better if the segments were just cut in half. It's not a mess, but it's bloated as fuck.
----
Brujerizmo!
09.08.2012 - 15:38
Abattoir

I've just ordered this stuff.

Probably it should take some time to get it here though...nevertheless I should not bother with this anyway
30.08.2012 - 03:56
Oaken
Hipster
The youtube samples are extremely decent, but the sheer length of this scares me away. Along with Dodsengel and Botanist...
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
06.09.2012 - 02:15
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 30.08.2012 at 03:56

extremely decent,

I'm liking your wording.
08.10.2012 - 19:25
Rating: 9
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The more i listen the more i love. One of those really long albums that doesn't get boring
16.10.2012 - 16:59
Zap
Winamp labeled this as "General Children's Music." Made me laugh.
12.01.2013 - 21:32
BreadGod
Account deleted
This album was definitely worth the wait.
02.02.2013 - 16:48
Draugen

While I was initially a bit skeptical about Blood Geometry due to its overwhelmingly long duration, that skepticism quickly ceased to be when I listened to the whole album in one go in the middle of the night with nothing but the darkness surrounding me. That setting enabled me to fully lose myself in the atmosphere as well as focus on all the details and shifts that have gone into creating this work of art.

The album contains enough variation as to never get tedious which I was really impressed by. The overall ambience and beautiful keyboard sections in addtion to the occasional outbursts of blastbeats was more than enough to keep my interest up amidst the all the bleakness and despair.

This is without a doubt one of the best albums of last year and as a matter of fact I have the Metal Storm Awards to thank for this discovery which would most likely have otherwise remained unnoticed to me.
03.02.2013 - 15:26
nille

The album was excellent ....
The album will end in my memory ....

If this album was rated in the top 10 would be higher than 10 points

These albums are masterpieces of space ....
19.06.2013 - 22:11
RealEyes

Written by nille on 03.02.2013 at 15:26

The album was excellent ....
The album will end in my memory ....

If this album was rated in the top 10 would be higher than 10 points

These albums are masterpieces of space ....

masterpieces are those albums which i name...so till i listen this album it is not a masterpiece, ok?
02.11.2013 - 19:32
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Damn not only this seems to be made with a lot of passion, the guy seems to have a genius touch. Everything about this release is prodigal. Those titles for the two discs are just fucking amazing.
09.08.2014 - 00:18
Erik M.

This might be the most massive album I've ever heard. What an album. Pretty much the definition of black/funeral doom metal. Lots of both of these genres to be heard, which obviously is a great combination.
04.10.2014 - 19:44
Rating: 10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 09.08.2014 at 00:18

This might be the most massive album I've ever heard. What an album. Pretty much the definition of black/funeral doom metal.

Seriously. Coming back to it today and I gotta say, if this isn't hailed as a classic within the next 5-10 years, something is wrong with the universe.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.10.2014 - 22:45
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.10.2014 at 19:44

Seriously. Coming back to it today and I gotta say, if this isn't hailed as a classic within the next 5-10 years, something is wrong with the universe.

Haha no kidding. Spun this whole album last week as well in one go. The only problem I have with it is that the ambient/atmopsheric parts go on for too long which at times makes me lost interest a bit. I would've been okay with a 20 minutes or so shorter album because even then it would be damn massive.

And since we're genre nitpicking (on Facebook), I think this is pretty damn melodic for a funeral black/doom album.
06.10.2014 - 00:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 05.10.2014 at 22:45

Since we're genre nitpicking (on Facebook), I think this is pretty damn melodic for a funeral black/doom album.

Well that's really where the BM element comes in imo, it's no new news that black metal borrows heavily from classical music, and this album is very neoclassical, even (as I said in my review) opera-like at points.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.02.2015 - 18:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Production is where this album is damn brilliant. An incredible listen and my favourite tracks are Blood Of Ancients, Blood of Hatred which is absolutely amazing and sums up everything this album is about and has to offer in 36 mins and Pyramid Of The Cold Sun.
09.02.2015 - 18:08
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 09.02.2015 at 18:00

Production is where this album is damn brilliant.

Indeed. It took him years to get it just right and he supposedly isn't even 100% satisfied with the result.
15.11.2015 - 00:15
Rating: 8
Stereolab42

Another double-album that should have been a single album (is there ever any other type of double-album?). About half the content is a perfect fucking 10, the other half not so much...
20.05.2016 - 17:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I knew I would like this if I revisited it some years later. Now I'm addicted to it.
23.09.2016 - 19:25
Zap
I can't even name a favourite track since I always listen to this thing in its entirety and everything is just awesome.
29.10.2016 - 15:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Zap on 23.09.2016 at 19:25

I can't even name a favourite track since I always listen to this thing in its entirety and everything is just awesome.

Same, although I think The Temple Is Falling and Pyramid Of The Cold Son are particularly excellent
----

~ II. VII
07.01.2017 - 14:31
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.10.2016 at 15:57

Written by Zap on 23.09.2016 at 19:25

Same, although I think The Temple Is Falling and Pyramid Of The Cold Son are particularly excellent

Pyramid Of The Cold Son is awesome! So is The Temple Is Falling. What I noticed with this album was that Arcane Throne & Mourning Star was more funeral doom and Blood Conduit & Void Pursuit was more atomspheric black. I don't know if he did that on purpose or not.
07.01.2017 - 14:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 07.01.2017 at 14:31

What I noticed with this album was that Arcane Throne & Mourning Star was more funeral doom and Blood Conduit & Void Pursuit was more atomspheric black. I don't know if he did that on purpose or not.

That's a really good point. I haven't spun this album in a while (it is a pretty huge commitment, to be fair ), but I would probably agree with you there. Most likely intentional, indeed, otherwise I don't think he would have divided the discs that way and given them their own separate titles as well.
----

~ II. VII
07.01.2017 - 14:43
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.01.2017 at 14:41

Written by Guest on 07.01.2017 at 14:31

What I noticed with this album was that Arcane Throne & Mourning Star was more funeral doom and Blood Conduit & Void Pursuit was more atomspheric black. I don't know if he did that on purpose or not.

That's a really good point. I haven't spun this album in a while (it is a pretty huge commitment, to be fair ), but I would probably agree with you there. Most likely intentional, indeed, otherwise I don't think he would have divided the discs that way and given them their own separate titles as well.

It is a huge commitment. I was very lucky to find time today to listen to (at least almost) the whole thing. Yeah it is probably intentional, but I think he may have wanted to divided the discs due to the lengths.
07.01.2017 - 16:05
mz

Yeah I'm hearing this for the first time.
Not bad actually. This is what RotB always wanted to make and failed?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.01.2017 - 18:32
Zap
Ruins Of The Beverasts?
08.01.2017 - 19:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 07.01.2017 at 16:05

Yeah I'm hearing this for the first time.
Not bad actually. This is what RotB always wanted to make and failed?

is that the second time you called them that unintentionally, or are you making light of the previous time?

Hits total: 16657 | This month: 50