Amanda Somerville - vocals
Oliver Hartmann - vocals
Robert Hunecke-Rizzo - vocals
Thomas Rettke - vocals
Tobias Sammet - vocals

Additional info
Mixed at Gate Studio, Wolfsburg.
Mastered at Gate Studio, Wolfsburg.

Recorded at Vox-Klangstudio, Bendestorf, Germany & Gate Studio, Wolfsburg, Germany.

Eric Martin's vocals recorded at Pepperland Studios, San Rafael, California.
Biff Byford's vocals recorded at Brighton Acoustic Studios, Brighton, England.
Ronnie Atkins' vocals recorded at Hansen Studios, Ribe, Denmark.
Bob Catley's vocals recorded at Mad Hat's Studios, Wolverhampton, England.

Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg recorded at Scoring Stage, Potsdam, Germany.

Orchestra conducted by Günter Joseck.
Design and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Additional engineering by Ole Reitmeier.
Mastered by Miro Rodenberg and Sascha Paeth.
Mixed by Sascha Paeth.
Orchestra: Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg.
Cover painting by Rodney Matthews.
Photography by Alex Kuehr.
Live photography by Friso Gentsch.
Produced by Sascha Paeth and Tobias Sammet.
Recorded by Sascha Paeth.

The limited edition hardcover book with a 28-pages booklet contains ten regular songs and two additional bonus tracks.

Staff review by
R Lewis
Rating:
Avantasia started as the audacious gamble of Edguy's eclectic mastermind Tobias Sammet and rapidly gained acclaim and success in the worldwide metal scene, this thanks to the accurate choice of guest musicians and to the evolution of the band itself throughout the years.

Read more ››
published 29.11.2013 | Comments (3)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 873 users
09.08.2012 - 21:32
Rating: 7
ChrisWinther

Would be awesome with Tommy Karevik, Elize Ryd, Kai Hansen, Hansi Kürsh, Jon Oliva, Oliver Hartmann, David Defeis and Bruce Dickinson on this album!
10.08.2012 - 01:10
JÄY
Metal slave
Tobi.
stop.
28.09.2012 - 22:38
Rating: 9
R Lewis

Written by ChrisWinther on 09.08.2012 at 21:32

Would be awesome with Tommy Karevik, Elize Ryd, Kai Hansen, Hansi Kürsh, Jon Oliva, Oliver Hartmann, David Defeis and Bruce Dickinson on this album!

I would add Simone Simons and Alessandro Conti.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
29.09.2012 - 12:02
ChrisWinther

Written by R Lewis on 28.09.2012 at 22:38

Would be awesome with Tommy Karevik, Elize Ryd, Kai Hansen, Bob Catley, Hansi Kürsh, Jon Oliva, Oliver Hartmann, David Defeis and Bruce Dickinson on this album!

Alessandro Conti could be nice, so would Simone Simons. But I prefer Elize Ryd over Simone Simons, and I think it could be awesome with Elize added to the Avantasia project. I also think it would be epic with Ronnie Atkins from Pretty Maids
08.10.2012 - 20:36
R Lewis

Written by ChrisWinther on 29.09.2012 at 12:02

Written by R Lewis on 28.09.2012 at 22:38

Would be awesome with Tommy Karevik, Elize Ryd, Kai Hansen, Bob Catley, Hansi Kürsh, Jon Oliva, Oliver Hartmann, David Defeis and Bruce Dickinson on this album!

Alessandro Conti could be nice, so would Simone Simons. But I prefer Elize Ryd over Simone Simons, and I think it could be awesome with Elize added to the Avantasia project. I also think it would be epic with Ronnie Atkins from Pretty Maids

You're quite into Kamelot, aren't you? So am I... Waiting for Silverthorn!
----
08.10.2012 - 22:50
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by JÄY on 10.08.2012 at 01:10

Tobi.
stop.

I second this
06.12.2012 - 22:00
Rating: 8
Hellthunder

Shouldn't it be "Mystery", or is this just some case of Tobias' weird humour I don't get?
06.12.2012 - 23:25
Chriwalker
Account deleted
No on his official page it says: Today we have breathtaking news for all AVANTASIANS: The new album will be called "AVANTASIA - THE MYSTERY OF TIME", and as previously reported is set for release in March.

Please correct the title
08.12.2012 - 06:07
Patrick.

If there's one guy who seriously needs to be on this for added epicness and massive quality-boost, and is way overdue at that, then it's hands fucking down; Hansi Kürsch. Bruce Dickinson could perhaps be the most exciting addition as a guest. Sammet is obviously very inspired by Maiden and I also think he once said Bruce was his favorite vocalist or something. Also, I would love to hear more of Russell Allen. His soaring highs in "States Of Matter" still give me goosebumps. At least two of these were mentioned earlier in this thread, as well as several other greats. Of those I definetely second Tommy Karevik.
08.12.2012 - 06:14
Patrick.

Written by Guest on 06.12.2012 at 23:25

Today we have breathtaking news for all AVANTASIANS: The new album will be called "AVANTASIA - THE MYSTERY OF TIME", and as previously reported is set for release in March.

Great! He sure as hell knows how to come up with epic-sounding titles.
08.12.2012 - 17:45
Chriwalker
Account deleted
I second both Hansi, Bruce and Tommy! And after seeing Tommy performing with Kamelot it would be nice having more from him! Karevik have proved to be an amazing singer and front man and has now climbed to my top 5 list of metal singers. Really looking forward to this album no matter what, Tobi is yet to disappoint me with Avantasia, he did in Edguy but Avantasia is still a project that feels like sugar in the ears
09.12.2012 - 11:35
mandrake88
Account deleted
Yeah, good ideas about getting Dickinson on the project, dude that would kick the listeners ass. At times i thought he could add Andi Deris from Helloween, he can do well with low pitched, heavy vocals it should sound really good. Since Helloween fans are divided into Kiske fans and Deris fans, i think Tobi decided to stay for Kiske since the very beginning of Avantasia. He really is the part of Avantasia's success, that's a fact.... hope to hear him on the coming album as well!!!
15.12.2012 - 20:57
Nemo Atkins

I'm hoping for Joakim Brodén on this album. Now THAT would be a cool addition (and a nice contrast to all the high voices if he's playing a villainous role)! That said, Tommy Kavavek, Piet Sielck and the guys from Van Canto would also be cool to have on Avantasia.
21.01.2013 - 04:18
Rating: 10
bcapo3

I can't wait!
04.02.2013 - 18:16
Dargor

I'm not a huge fan of Avantasia, but if this ever happens, I would buy a dozen of special editions and share the love.
26.02.2013 - 03:07
Codorna

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fP3d_63s8-s
26.02.2013 - 04:36
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Codorna on 26.02.2013 at 03:07

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fP3d_63s8-s

There is hope!
26.02.2013 - 12:18
Chriwalker
Account deleted
Invoke the Machine sounds awesome, can't wait to hear the rest of the album ^^
05.03.2013 - 22:42
R Lewis

I don't think Ava knows this is out, but I just found this on YouTube:

----
10.03.2013 - 13:38
FeskarN

Written by R Lewis on 05.03.2013 at 22:42

I don't think Ava knows this is out, but I just found this on YouTube:

It has been deleted now by NB :/
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
10.03.2013 - 13:49
R Lewis

Written by FeskarN on 10.03.2013 at 13:38

It has been deleted now by NB :/

Was to be expected...
----
23.03.2013 - 20:29
Codorna

Great album
30.03.2013 - 14:20
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This is much better than I anticipated, it actually sounds more like a "metal opera" than all of their albums save the first two. "Savior In The Clockwork" is sounding perfect to me at this stage. It's got nice bits of Virgin Steele like guitar riff crunch with symphonics. Quite a few heavier moments than usual actually. Very enjoyable.
30.03.2013 - 21:50
Patrick.

It sounds like an awesome album so far. For me it pretty much sits comfortably somewhere between the Metal Operas and the Wicked Trilogy. A surprising amount of double-bass tracks. It's perhaps the Avantasia album where I'm the least intrigued about the singers involved, but even though I don't have an absolute favorite album of theirs, this one might just be their most "complete sounding" yet like some reviews were talking about. 4 fast-paced melodic Power kickers, 2 heavily symphonic Heavy Metal mid-tempos, 2 power-balladry tracks and to top it off there's 2 long epics and both reach above the 10-minute mark. Sammet has done it again because this is killer stuff!
31.03.2013 - 15:52
Metal_Elle

It's a really good album. Just listening to it every day since last monday when I've got a copy thanks to a pal of mine who is working a local store where I live. ^^
31.03.2013 - 19:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Well, it's not exactly a return to the Metal Opera style, but there's less of a "rock" vibe with this one compared to the last 3 albums. When I heard the single "Sleepwalking", I was really worried that the album would be awful, but thankfully, that is easily the worst song on the album.

There's some great riffs on the album, like on "Invoke The Machine" and "Dweller In A Dream". With the latter song in particular, being a tremendous track overall.

"What's Left Of Me", the other ballad on the album is amazing, much better than "Sleepwalking" for sure! I love Eric Martin's voice, and he does great on that beautiful song.

My two fave songs are probably "Where Clock Hands Freeze", which is that irresistible combination of melodic speed metal and Michael Kiske's soaring voice, and the final track, the rock epic, "The Great Mystery", which is beyond awesome. There's probably less stand out moments on this album compared to the last 3, but it is a more consistent album, that's for sure.
01.04.2013 - 09:12
Wes

Written by Angelic Storm on 31.03.2013 at 19:29

Well, it's not exactly a return to the Metal Opera style, but there's less of a "rock" vibe with this one compared to the last 3 albums. When I heard the single "Sleepwalking", I was really worried that the album would be awful, but thankfully, that is easily the worst song on the album.

There's some great riffs on the album, like on "Invoke The Machine" and "Dweller In A Dream". With the latter song in particular, being a tremendous track overall.

"What's Left Of Me", the other ballad on the album is amazing, much better than "Sleepwalking" for sure! I love Eric Martin's voice, and he does great on that beautiful song.

My two fave songs are probably "Where Clock Hands Freeze", which is that irresistible combination of melodic speed metal and Michael Kiske's soaring voice, and the final track, the rock epic, "The Great Mystery", which is beyond awesome. There's probably less stand out moments on this album compared to the last 3, but it is a more consistent album, that's for sure.

Agreed with ya, definitely need time with this one but I'm enjoying it a lot. : )
02.04.2013 - 03:59
Ap46

I really like this album. Sammet is good but when Kiske kicks in, it's just awesome. Invoke The Machine is also a fine track
03.04.2013 - 00:32
giok99

Love the first half, like old school melo speed, the other half is less energic, slower, ballads and so on. Everything fine until invoke the machine, i generaly cut it here.
----
Nothing is real
04.04.2013 - 08:40
Crème fraiche

Some very rockin tracks on this album!!!

Hits total: 22437 | This month: 39