Metal Storm logo
Swallow The Sun - Originality Or RipOff?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 11:32
Swallow The Sun - Originality Or RipOff ?!?!

Just had a dicussion with a few friends on a danish metal forum about this band, one of them claims that they are ripping off what Anathema did on "The Silent Enigma"...What the HE!! is he talking about.

I think they have their own little niche (pretty original) so i cant see what he means...i cant see the resemblance except maybe the atmophere/mood might be alike...but the compositions and the way they play are in my opinion far from each other...And i'm not saying anything bad abot the silent enigma...it's been on my top 10 list ever since the release.

What ya think, is me wrong or is he wrong ?
30.08.2008 - 20:09
Motte
Account deleted
Swallow the Sun are actually quite original, if compare them to most of the scene's newer bands.
06.09.2008 - 05:05
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Marcel H. : "targetted at angsty teeny girls and boys scene IMO":......lol, when Swallow The Sun or Doom Metal in general become mainstream, i'll be more inclined to believe you.....But then again you live in Holland, so I don't know how much the masses pay attention to Doom......Here in the far west, Doom is either unknown or "cult-status".

one thign about the band, you can certainly tell them apart from other doom bands.
06.09.2008 - 11:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 06.09.2008 at 05:05

@Marcel H. : "targetted at angsty teeny girls and boys scene IMO":......lol, when Swallow The Sun or Doom Metal in general become mainstream, i'll be more inclined to believe you.....But then again you live in Holland, so I don't know how much the masses pay attention to Doom......Here in the far west, Doom is either unknown or "cult-status".

one thign about the band, you can certainly tell them apart from other doom bands.

Well, here Swallow the Sun and My Dying Bride are almost mainstream metal. Whereas all other great and brilliantly original (as far as that is possible within doom of course ) doom bands are immensely underground.
Hell, a great festival such as Dutch Doom Days didn't even sell-out a 500 capacity last year. This year saw Warning with Serpentcult and Hangman's Chair perform for a measly 60 people. One week later Funeral, Saturnus, Mar de Grises, IN Age and Sadness played for a tiny crowd of 150. Oh yeah for bth dates that wwas the bands' ONLY Dutch performance.
So, here Doom in general is unknown or cult as hell as well.

As for StS having a unique sound Damn they sound like soooo many other melodic doom/death bands. Totally interchangeable.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.09.2008 - 11:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Still can't get over the 60 people for Warning..

Wondering how it will be tomorrow at Ashes to Ashes.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.09.2008 - 11:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 06.09.2008 at 11:16

Still can't get over the 60 people for Warning..

Wondering how it will be tomorrow at Ashes to Ashes.

Probably near empty the entire day (except for the people that were also present at Warning I know for a fact that quite a few who were at Warning's gig are there tomorrow as well, but for Krux and NOT for MDB) and then it will be full when My Dying Bride start their set.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2008 - 20:30
STSlover
Account deleted
Swallow the sun is absoluly original.......they are unique....not simillar to any other doom band
im expecting them to hit hard next album
03.01.2009 - 06:02
Englen
Swallow the sun is one of the best bands I've heard in along time, I especially like Don't Fall Asleep
----
When shadows fall dark upon your stone, and dying leaves have covered all the words, in this darkest hour,
I'm alone
03.01.2009 - 08:50
FOOCK Nam
Their keyboard using in Hope album is perfect. I love almost song in that album.
10.01.2009 - 18:25
routa
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.09.2008 at 05:05

One of their albums hit the 8th spot on Finland's official album chart, I believe they had a single on a high place too
18.01.2009 - 00:11
written in stone
Account deleted
Anyone seen these guys live? there coming to my city w soilwork. so i dont know weather to go. any thoughts?
18.01.2009 - 00:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.01.2009 at 00:11

Anyone seen these guys live? there coming to my city w soilwork. so i dont know weather to go. any thoughts?

Yes, I have, if you like their music you should go, but beware of their looks on stage. They look like your average emo band.
At least live their music came across better than on album for me but was still unoriginal, bland, derivative.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.02.2009 - 18:03
Nei
I think that Swallow the Sun are unique in their very own way. The atmosphere that they capture in their songs are beautiful and hypnotizing. Plague of Butterflies is a real masterpiece in my opinion. I love Anathema too, but I do certantly not think that Swallow the Sun is a rip off.
16.03.2009 - 01:47
Gigginova
Account deleted
Hmmm I wonder how they'd sound while smoking weed....
seriously.
15.10.2009 - 22:31
InfernoxDeath
I won't say that they're a rip off.
Every band has their own influences. And i see that there are alot of new bands who are being influenced by Swallow the Sun.
It's like a cycle that continues on. In a good way, it doesn't let the music, or the genre die out.
15.10.2009 - 22:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by InfernoxDeath on 15.10.2009 at 22:31

And i see that there are alot of new bands who are being influenced by Swallow the Sun.

such as?
I really don't see them around at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2009 - 23:27
InfernoxDeath
2 bands from Portugal, Before the Rain and Process of Guilt. Very similar in a way.
Maybe i shall rephrase my "influenced by Swallow the Sun", otherwise it will cause a misunderstanding.

Hanging Garden from Finland might be a good example of SIMILAR sounds to Swallow the Sun.
15.10.2009 - 23:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by InfernoxDeath on 15.10.2009 at 23:27

2 bands from Portugal, Before the Rain and Process of Guilt. Very similar in a way.
Maybe i shall rephrase my "influenced by Swallow the Sun", otherwise it will cause a misunderstanding.

Hanging Garden from Finland might be a good example of SIMILAR sounds to Swallow the Sun.

Okay I haven't heard Before The Rain and Hanging Garden, but Process Of Guilt doesn't sound like StS at all. I totally see no influences from StS in their sound at all. PoG's demos were more black death doom Renounce more straight forward death doom with lots of Patadise Lost influences in it and Erosion has moved more into post-doom territory with loads of Neurosis, Isis, Cult Of Luna influences plus the fact that PoG is nowhere near as melodic and slick sounding as StS
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2009 - 23:53
InfernoxDeath
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2009 at 23:50

Okay I haven't heard Before The Rain and Hanging Garden, but Process Of Guilt doesn't sound like StS at all. I totally see no influences from StS in their sound at all. PoG's demos were more black death doom Renounce more straight forward death doom with lots of Patadise Lost influences in it and Erosion has moved more into post-doom territory with loads of Neurosis, Isis, Cult Of Luna influences plus the fact that PoG is nowhere near as melodic and slick sounding as StS

Ah... Point noted. Will be extra careful.
Listening to the new track by Swallow the Sun, there's something different from what fans would have expected... Have you checked it out?
15.10.2009 - 23:55
InnerSelf
proofread free
Process Of Guilt sounds like Swallow The Sun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now you have pissed off Marcel ( and many others )
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.10.2009 - 23:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by InfernoxDeath on 15.10.2009 at 23:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2009 at 23:50

Ah... Point noted. Will be extra careful.
Listening to the new track by Swallow the Sun, there's something different from what fans would have expected... Have you checked it out?

I haven't heard the new StS yet. But will be sure to check it out, although I only moderately like The Morning Never Came, and the rest I find... well, let's be nice today and just keep it at not good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2009 - 18:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by InnerSelf on 15.10.2009 at 23:55

I'm one of the others, I almost fell of the chair with the comment
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2009 - 22:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I get the two so confused, sometimes i can't tell if i popped in a Swallow the Guilt or a Process of the Sun disk into my cd player...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.10.2009 - 23:28
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2009 at 18:13

Written by InnerSelf on 15.10.2009 at 23:55

I'm one of the others, I almost fell of the chair with the comment

I think he brought down the WRATH of every member of The True Crusade
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.10.2009 - 06:44
the stranger
Don't Fall Asleep is one hell of a song. The rest is ok. In the mood you can find it good, sometimes very good. But the just one song for me which can be considered great at a musical and lyrical level.
13.12.2009 - 02:18
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
If Originality is another word for totally boring/uninspiring/plain super melodic death/doom, then yeah I guess they are original
----
21.06.2010 - 03:14
wormdrink414
Elite
Just saw them live. Easily one of the most boring and painfully lazy performances I've ever stood through. The singer stared at the ground the whole time and the keyboardist had a cartoon frown on from beginning to end (picture the typical black metal scowl, but without the corpse paint). The crowd came alive only during the thinly veiled breakdown moments, otherwise I would have sworn I heard crickets during the breaks in between songs. Most of the band's "stage presence" came from Kai Hato of Wintersun, who drummed for them. He was the only reason I didn't go try to find an old drunkard to buy me beer. The band was too up their own asshole to put on anything that would qualify as a "show". The singer, in particular, was especially detached, giving one the impression that he is one of "those" lead vocalists; he may very well suffer from Shagrath Syndrome. He made no attempt to communicate with his fans while on stage, remaining silent in between songs, and making no eye contact with the members of the rather small, somber, and sober crowd. The only intentionally light-hearted moment came when the guitarist broke a string and played air guitar for the last two songs. Had Moonsorrow not come on directly after, I imagine, I would have probably left.
26.06.2010 - 19:19
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by wormdrink414 on 21.06.2010 at 03:14

Just saw them live. Easily one of the most boring and painfully lazy performances I've ever stood through. The singer stared at the ground the whole time and the keyboardist had a cartoon frown on from beginning to end (picture the typical black metal scowl, but without the corpse paint). The crowd came alive only during the thinly veiled breakdown moments, otherwise I would have sworn I heard crickets during the breaks in between songs. Most of the band's "stage presence" came from Kai Hato of Wintersun, who drummed for them. He was the only reason I didn't go try to find an old drunkard to buy me beer. The band was too up their own asshole to put on anything that would qualify as a "show". The singer, in particular, was especially detached, giving one the impression that he is one of "those" lead vocalists; he may very well suffer from Shagrath Syndrome. He made no attempt to communicate with his fans while on stage, remaining silent in between songs, and making no eye contact with the members of the rather small, somber, and sober crowd. The only intentionally light-hearted moment came when the guitarist broke a string and played air guitar for the last two songs. Had Moonsorrow not come on directly after, I imagine, I would have probably left.

Uhoh...I'm disappointed to here that! I am seeing them for the first time in September w/ Katatonia and Orphaned Land. I have "New Moon" and considering I am not a big doom metal fan I find it quite good cause of the progressive moments. I hope when you saw them the band was just having a bad day!

Can anyone else verify?
----
rekt
01.07.2010 - 02:10
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
I saw Swallow the Sun with Insomnium a while back. They're a great band, and I wouldn't say they are ripping off any band in particular. If someone wants to go riff for riff and waste their time with a project like that, then I guess they are more than welcome to.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
18.08.2010 - 16:20
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I love them. They are kinda unique. But obviously not 100% unique. Of course every band is influenced from a band, sometimes it is obvious in their music. I'm not implying that they're ripping off of some band. Just saying.
21.07.2019 - 04:31
BEST BAND EVER! I support them best music doom ever so nightly beautiful! beautiful like my girlfriend even I cant have her.