08. Dear Father

Disc II [Deluxe Edition]
01. Methademic
02. Peace Of Mind
03. Pariah

The Biggest Surprise Of 2013
Featured In "Getting Into: Black Sabbath"

Additional info
Produced by Rick Rubin. Mixed by Andrew Scheps at Punkerpad West, Van Nuys, CA. Recorded by Greg Fidelman. Additional recording by Mike Exeter, Dana Nielson. Assisted by Sara Lyn Killion, Sean Oakley. Recorded at Shangri La Studios, Malibu, CA. Additional recording at Tone Hall, Warwickshire, UK. Edited by Dana Nielson, Ryan Castle, Jason Gossman. Mastered by Stephen Marcussen and Stewart Whitmore at Marcussen Mastering, Hollywood, CA.

Album design & art direction: ZIP.
Wicker sculpture: Spencer Jenkins.
Cover photography: Jonathan Knowles.
Cover location: With thanks to the Carey family at Burcott Lodge Farm.

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 129   Visited by: 1761 users
10.06.2013 - 21:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AngelofDeth on 10.06.2013 at 21:20
May I direct your attention to Megadeth's latest release --> http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=69143&band_id=163&bandname=Megadeth
Megadeth hasn't received as much criticism b/c they did Risk and shortly after returned back to thrash and semi-decent music, System, United, Endgame, etc. Metallica has stayed wallowing in the shitty music cesspool they created back with Load, and arguably the Black album. But as you can see from the link, now that Megadeth has stepped into some uncharted land of shitty music, people are bashing them all the same, so your argument is invalid.

Nope, that is wrong. Megadeth evaded the criticism simply because they didn't reach the same level of fame as Metallica, pure and simple. If what you were saying was the case, Megadeth would have received the same heavy criticism as Metallica during the 90's, which is something that generally, didn't happen. Also, Dave's "return to thrash" was a contrived move. He simply realised after "Risk" bombed commercially, that he was never going to outdo or even match Metallica in terms of mainstream popularity, so he went back to making heavier material to try and claw back some of the fans he lost during the 90's. His decision to "go back to thrash" was arguably as calculated and contrived as his decision to stop playing thrash was 10 years prior.

And like I said, whilst Super Collider is a poor album, it was also released in a climate where people were already starting to turn their backs on Dave, because of mainly non-musical factors. Which is why I think that whilst the album deserves the criticism it is receiving, I feel if the album had been released a few years back, the level of criticism levelled towards it would have been far less. As back then, far more people had the notion that anything Dave or Megadeth did was beyond any criticism at all.
10.06.2013 - 21:56
Rating: 5
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.06.2013 at 21:32

Nope, that is wrong. Megadeth evaded the criticism simply because they didn't reach the same level of fame as Metallica, pure and simple. If what you were saying was the case, Megadeth would have received the same heavy criticism as Metallica during the 90's, which is something that generally, didn't happen. Also, Dave's "return to thrash" was a contrived move. He simply realised after "Risk" bombed commercially, that he was never going to outdo or even match Metallica in terms of mainstream popularity, so he went back to making heavier material to try and claw back some of the fans he lost during the 90's. His decision to "go back to thrash" was arguably as calculated and contrived as his decision to stop playing thrash was 10 years prior.

And like I said, whilst Super Collider is a poor album, it was also released in a climate where people were already starting to turn their backs on Dave, because of mainly non-musical factors. Which is why I think that whilst the album deserves the criticism it is receiving, I feel if the album had been released a few years back, the level of criticism levelled towards it would have been far less. As back then, far more people had the notion that anything Dave or Megadeth did was beyond any criticism at all.

Your basing all these statements simply off inferences and hypothetical situations. There may be some truth to what your saying but there is really no way to prove any of it without putting Dave on trial. Anyway this is a forum on Black Sabbath's 13, not to be confused with Megadeth's Th1rt3en, so we should probly get back to the topic at hand.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.06.2013 - 22:10
Mad Mike

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.06.2013 at 07:22

I don't think I've seen a single thread here on a modern-day album by a popular band (who have also been around for many years, and whose old stuff is usually classed as legendary), where some haven't labelled anyone expressing a like for the album as a "fanboy", and that they must be "blinded by the band name" if they like it. It happens every single time. It's so predictable, it's embarrassing.

Welcome to the internet, ma'am. This is a place where saying something as innocent as "I love puppies" will get you crucified. If you have an opinion on anything, it's best not to express it online, unless you enjoy pissing people off... which I do.

Anywho, I like what I hear from this album so far.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
11.06.2013 - 00:22
Rating: 10
Deefer46

Written by Guest on 04.06.2013 at 23:08

Written by Deefer46 on 04.06.2013 at 23:03

I just heard the album, I'm telling you - IT'S FUCKING AWESOME

I don't believe you.

Honest............
11.06.2013 - 03:14
Rating: 8
AtrumHiberna

Why there's another lame and pointless Megadeth vs Metallica debate under a Black Sabbath album??
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
11.06.2013 - 05:30
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by AtrumHiberna on 11.06.2013 at 03:14

Why there's another lame and pointless Megadeth vs Metallica debate under a Black Sabbath album??

Wasn't a full-on debate as far as I could tell - just used as an example when discussing the phenomenon of fanboys and anti-fanboys.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
11.06.2013 - 05:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ace Frawley on 11.06.2013 at 05:30
Wasn't a full-on debate as far as I could tell - just used as an example when discussing the phenomenon of fanboys and anti-fanboys.

Bingo. lol The Metallica/Megadeth debate is very tired one, but it is a great example of the hypocrisy within some people's bashing of certain bands. And more specifically, their latter day material.
11.06.2013 - 06:07
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I just realised that I really like the song "God is Dead?" now. I didn't really like it much when I first heard it but now it has grown on me to the point that it's one of my favourite tracks on the album. I also like the fact that the album has diversity, with a song like "Zeitgeist".
----
11.06.2013 - 12:51
Nemo Atkins

Admittedly, my post was also something I'd been building up for a good while. It's been bugging me pretty much since last year, so it was probably better to get it out of my system now rather than still be waiting for an opportunity to say it. Angelic just happened to bring up an issue where it made sense for me to make the rant (the issue of people who like an album being called blind fanboys by those who don't and the point that some (not all, but some) people will only praise an album by a legendary band and refuse to accept any criticism of it, which I do agree happens).

Apologies that it happened on this particular thread if anyone was bugged by it. Let's get back to discussing the new Black Sabbath (which Il'l join in with as soon as I've had a chance to listen to it: I actually feel like I was harsh with my previous comment on "God Is Dead?", as it's grown on me a bit since I gave it some more listens yesterday, although I still feel that the song could have done with a bit of cutting down and that the 70's sounding riff (about six and a half minutes into the song) could have been better used to make a classic Sabbath song and that it was a missed opportunity to just tack it into the last third of "God Is Dead?").
11.06.2013 - 15:29
Rating: 7
Doge of Venice

Quite enjoying this. Iommi's riffing is in top form, but the songs seem to one dimensional when it comes to their pacing. Which is a shame, because it makes some of the fantastic riffing a little tedious.
11.06.2013 - 21:49
Rating: 9
bblitz

I've rated it high as you can see below.Album is awesome,black sabbath is awesome theres no more to say.
And to haters,philosophers on this topic-I've comented the same thing on megadeth's new album:
WHY WHY do you have to always mention that disgrace and shame of metallica in every fkin comment on
someone elses album.Why once again?What are they,some kind of sick measurment of every goddamn metal
band in the world ?Master of puppets is measurment for every album,uuuuuuuuuuuuu I'm shakin' how good it is.
C'mon people talk about Sabbath and let's focus on their new album.
12.06.2013 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I just read a lyrics to God Is dead and end of tommrow
I know those 2 songs
Its awesome, because Ozzy or whatever wrote those went back to 70's and wrote awesome political lyrics what describes fucked up modern day society
Well maybe its because Ozzy used drugs he could write better lyrics?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.06.2013 - 01:44
Misfit74

I'm enjoying the hell out of this so far. \m/
13.06.2013 - 04:17
Rating: 6
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This "13" is only famous because it has the name "Black Sabbath" on its cover, besides that is a boring excuse of an album, not a single stand-out track on the whole list, not even on the bonus tracks, maybe "God Is Dead?" is the only enjoyable song, but is quite forgettable after one or two spins.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
13.06.2013 - 06:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I enjoy it up to "Age Of Reason", there I start to yawn and the rest of the songs do nothing about it. Then come the bonus tracks... "Methademic" is pretty awesome and that's it.
13.06.2013 - 12:56
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Great album! Black Sabbath proves with this record that the 70s are not dead and the music from that era still has something to say. Black Sabbath is back in full force!
13.06.2013 - 15:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2013 at 14:26

I just read a lyrics to God Is dead and end of tommrow
I know those 2 songs
Its awesome, because Ozzy or whatever wrote those went back to 70's and wrote awesome political lyrics what describes fucked up modern day society
Well maybe its because Ozzy used drugs he could write better lyrics?

Geezer has always been the main lyricist in BS
14.06.2013 - 11:04
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I did not enjoy this as much as majority of people here (as it seems). Ozzy's vocals are rearranged almost to the point of unbearable annoyance, drums sound completely flat and unmemorable, 75% of the most decent riffs/music sound exactly the same as those from the past albums (they could at least show the effort of trying to reinvent them) and most of the songs are just too long while the overall production is quite terrible (what was Rubin thinking?). The only bright points are Iommi's guitar playing and Butler's bass.
17.06.2013 - 01:45
Rating: 3
Timelord

It is not hard to figure out that this album was a last grab to cash in on the Sabbath name. Why do people think it is boring? Because it is! What made those first 6 albums so great was the fire in them. They were still fresh and not afraid to try different things. Now look at this new album 13. It sounds "on purpose" ! What I mean is they went in and wrote songs they think we want to hear instead of letting their creativity bleed through. It is not even close to being good to me. It sounds tired and forced.
17.06.2013 - 09:41
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Timelord on 17.06.2013 at 01:45

It is not hard to figure out that this album was a last grab to cash in on the Sabbath name. Why do people think it is boring? Because it is! What made those first 6 albums so great was the fire in them. They were still fresh and not afraid to try different things. Now look at this new album 13. It sounds "on purpose" ! What I mean is they went in and wrote songs they think we want to hear instead of letting their creativity bleed through. It is not even close to being good to me. It sounds tired and forced.

Considering Tony's health issues, I doubt that he was making music to just cash in. I think you're point about it lacking originality is a fair one though, as it does sound like a deliberate attempt to recreate the sound of the early days. That doesn't bother me though - in fact, I love it.
----
17.06.2013 - 17:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Ace Frawley on 17.06.2013 at 09:41

Considering Tony's health issues, I doubt that he was making music to just cash in.

In fact, one could think he may need some extra money to afford all the treatments.
17.06.2013 - 17:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Unhealer on 17.06.2013 at 17:27

Written by Ace Frawley on 17.06.2013 at 09:41

Considering Tony's health issues, I doubt that he was making music to just cash in.

In fact, one could think he may need some extra money to afford all the treatments.

I am sure someone like Iommi will have full health benefits. So, it won't cost him anything extra since he's paid for it already on a monthly basis for aeons. His health Insurance should cover it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2013 - 18:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If he still is UK citizen, he will get free trethment , what national health something who will cover it
It was good when in europe rules socilistiv govements
and besides he is not Boris Backer or Steffan Effenmberg who wasted all mony into women, I he saved, and besides he will get payed from gigs, album, media, commercials, its huge event, more huger then Megadeat new album when drummer complains
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.06.2013 - 08:39
MetrockickA

It's one of the best sabbath's stuff after ozzy's departing.
what a doomy song DAMAGED SOUL is!end of the beginning and age of reason are great to me.ozzy's voice is a little unsteady and vibrant but it's ok,cause he's at 60's,but tony still has got every thing that he had on 1970's!
riff's are pretty heavy and strong and like monster that came out of the guitar!
undoubtedly,tony is a legend!:banger:
the atmosphere of these songs has returned to 70's ,and that's worked for me.
i'll give it 9 out of 10 ,and i think it's excellent!
sabbath RULES!!!:dcool:
21.06.2013 - 07:23
Shmyt

I don't know what I think of it...it seems like i could throw this on shuffle with the rest of the early sabbath tracks and not notice a change; its a throwback which i nice, but its also kinda forgettable, not a 0, not a 10, need more spins but its just kinda okay and mostly nice to see an album from them
22.06.2013 - 13:23
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
The more I listen to this album, the more I love it. The real surprise album of the year for me. Never expected it to be this good. Iommi is just in brilliant form here. So many good riffs. Sounds like he summoned Hendrix with the track "Damaged Soul". Have increased my rating from 7 to 8, as I feel this is a very good album.
----
26.06.2013 - 00:47
AndMetalForAll
kual21
What an album!! Certainly one of the best of 2013 so far, the legends still got it
----
greets,
kual21
26.06.2013 - 20:02
musicalkaratekid

A predictable yet very solid album. Iommi's guitar performance here is the one thing that stands out to me more than anything, and he really sounds like a guy having a great time with his instrument on 'End of the beginning' and 'Zeitgeist'. Ozzy's vocals are naturally as good as they are ever going to be (considering the amount of medication that man goes through every day), and new drummer Brad Wilk does a decent enough job in keeping up with everybody else. The bass is also pretty prominent, but then again so is every other instrument used on the album. I understand this was never going to be anywhere near as good as the first five Sabbath albums, but it doesn't stop the band from giving it a go. 'End of beginning' and 'Zeitgeist' are personal highlights.
26.06.2013 - 20:19
Lit.
Account deleted
Alright, so I'm fairly certain the three people above (sans MKK) are the same troll with different accounts.
26.06.2013 - 21:54
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 20:19

Alright, so I'm fairly certain the three people above (sans MKK) are the same troll with different accounts.

Very astute of you. A whole bunch of "people" all from a single URL, who will have their voices and votes deleted from the site.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 30394 | This month: 62