08. Dear Father

Disc II [Deluxe Edition]
01. Methademic
02. Peace Of Mind
03. Pariah

The Biggest Surprise Of 2013
Featured In "Getting Into: Black Sabbath"

Additional info
Produced by Rick Rubin. Mixed by Andrew Scheps at Punkerpad West, Van Nuys, CA. Recorded by Greg Fidelman. Additional recording by Mike Exeter, Dana Nielson. Assisted by Sara Lyn Killion, Sean Oakley. Recorded at Shangri La Studios, Malibu, CA. Additional recording at Tone Hall, Warwickshire, UK. Edited by Dana Nielson, Ryan Castle, Jason Gossman. Mastered by Stephen Marcussen and Stewart Whitmore at Marcussen Mastering, Hollywood, CA.

Album design & art direction: ZIP.
Wicker sculpture: Spencer Jenkins.
Cover photography: Jonathan Knowles.
Cover location: With thanks to the Carey family at Burcott Lodge Farm.

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 129   Visited by: 1759 users
27.06.2013 - 01:25
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 20:19

Alright, so I'm fairly certain the three people above (sans MKK) are the same troll with different accounts.

Wrong. I hope you were only joking.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
27.06.2013 - 13:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 27.06.2013 at 01:25

Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 20:19

Alright, so I'm fairly certain the three people above (sans MKK) are the same troll with different accounts.

Wrong. I hope you were only joking.

I think he was referring to posts that have already bene deleted by BitterCOld
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.06.2013 - 13:12
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.06.2013 at 13:06

I think he was referring to posts that have already bene deleted by BitterCOld

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for clearing that up. I got my nose out of joint being labelled a troll.
----
28.06.2013 - 13:19
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Damages Soul could hold it's own on any Sabbath album. Good to hear Ozzy back on the harmonica, too. Album would have been better if he sounded like he did 30/40 years ago, though.
Zeitgeist sounds like a new Planet Caravan. I was thinking they were using the riff from Black Sabbath on the end of Dear Father, then the rain and church bell started. It would make a fitting end to the Sabbath career, although they might be tempted to go for album #20.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.06.2013 - 03:33
Coconut Racecar

Friend bought it, played it in the car, don't like it.
Sorry, Ozzy... I've heard much of your stuff but I can't say there's one song I really like. Thanks for inspiring a great generation though.
30.06.2013 - 14:25
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by M C Vice on 28.06.2013 at 13:19

Damages Soul could hold it's own on any Sabbath album. Good to hear Ozzy back on the harmonica, too. Album would have been better if he sounded like he did 30/40 years ago, though.
Zeitgeist sounds like a new Planet Caravan. I was thinking they were using the riff from Black Sabbath on the end of Dear Father, then the rain and church bell started. It would make a fitting end to the Sabbath career, although they might be tempted to go for album #20.

I agree that "Damaged Soul" could hold it's own on any Sabbath album. That's how good it is. Big call, but true. If this is the final album, I agree it's a fitting end, with the rain and church bells at the end. Just like the beginning all those years ago.
----
02.07.2013 - 17:27
Vasil de Shumen

Well performed and recorded ... but a little boring and predictable
03.07.2013 - 23:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I finally heard it
Pretty interesting album, looks to me band really try hard to be as in 70's and the take all elements from all eras into music and Zeitgeist .... Planet caravan .. 100% copy, but still it never can be so valuable like 70's early origibal BS albums .... Geezer still can wrote good lyrics, better then Ozzy at his solo anyway, more deeper, more problems, more around us more modern day life
I did not like cover, its way to modern, better it would be graveyard
I cant judge it from 4 listening times, but it will be in my playlist for some time now , it has its own ups and downs, and I never expected it would be so ''good' but I kno oit never will be better that Black sabbath and Paranoid anyway ..... I hope next one will be same good as this, because all are at 60' Ozzy is fuck up junky who can die soon, for modern day music and they age its good, but who is Ozzy ... only singer anyway
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.07.2013 - 15:12
John Shock

Written by Ace Frawley on 11.06.2013 at 06:07

I just realised that I really like the song "God is Dead?" now. I didn't really like it much when I first heard it but now it has grown on me to the point that it's one of my favourite tracks on the album. I also like the fact that the album has diversity, with a song like "Zeitgeist".

I don't know of you, but Zeitgeist reminds me a lot of Planet Caravan back in the Paranoid album...which brings back some good old memories! ...
04.07.2013 - 18:57
evilexistence_

I must say i really enjoyed this record aside from no bill ward very good for the original line up
05.07.2013 - 06:13
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Nobody does doom better than the originators. Amazing that they've still got it after all these years. A fitting swan song, if that's what it ends up being.
----
05.07.2013 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 05.07.2013 at 06:13

Nobody does doom better than the originators. Amazing that they've still got it after all these years. A fitting swan song, if that's what it ends up being.

Not much doom on this one at all.

And to be honest although old BS has some proto-doom songs on it. Most of their songs aren't doom at all..
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.07.2013 - 01:00
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.07.2013 at 12:55

And to be honest although old BS has some proto-doom songs on it. Most of their songs aren't doom at all..

Who plays doom? I need to have a listen.
----
11.07.2013 - 23:47
Rating: 10
BrightNight

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.07.2013 at 12:55

Written by Ace Frawley on 05.07.2013 at 06:13

They invented doom....

Depends on what you classify as doom maybe. Can you define doom for me?
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
12.07.2013 - 00:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BrightNight on 11.07.2013 at 23:47

They invented doom....

Hence proto-doom. And most of their songs weren't even proto-doom, that's all I am saying. Labbelling Sabbath as doom is wrong because most of their songs aren't doom/proto-doom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.07.2013 - 00:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.07.2013 at 00:05
Hence proto-doom. And most of their songs weren't even proto-doom, that's all I am saying. Labbelling Sabbath as doom is wrong because most of their songs aren't doom/proto-doom.

Yep, I'd agree with that... there are certainly isolated songs and riffs in the Sabbath discography that are doom/proto doom, but overall, there isn't much doom in their discography. However, because of those isolated doom moments, Sabbath were a massive influence on almost all of the early doom metal pioneers. Much like Priest were very influential on early speed metal/power metal bands, without ever actually being those genres themselves, the same goes for Sabs and doom metal.
12.07.2013 - 21:48
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I'm afraid to write my comment on this album but :"This album is really boring ! " I mean it. And just because it's by Sabbath however many people would hype it,but it seems that not any single sound by Sabbath is really great music.
12.07.2013 - 22:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Even 'Zeitgeist' managed to come across as soulless. They couldn't even get that right and that kind of thing should write itself.
26.07.2013 - 17:05
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Not as bad an album as I expected, but still not quite an album fitting for such a band. Tony Iommi managed to write some cool riffs, but they don't assemble into great songs.
Surely, commercially it's very tempting to try to imitate the sound of the band's early years, but it's also insanely hard to put down some songs that could be proudly put on the shelf beside, say, Black Sabbath, Iron Man, Sweet Leaf and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
Still, as mentioned, "13" is not a bad album, even enjoyable one, if you try to not to compare it with Black Sabbath's other works.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
28.07.2013 - 02:01
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 28.07.2013 at 01:24

Ozzy no longer rhymes or makes sound lyrics like the old ones. Every word is pig sht. R.I.P. DIO. R.I.P. BS

I think you'll find Geezer wrote the lyrics in the old days and also for this new album. Ozzy sings.
----
15.08.2013 - 15:59
Kuroboshi

As an above speaker said, "this album is boring." Many good riffs, classic BS. But the songs are waaaay too long, as well as the album. Iommi did his thing though. Bass is funky as well. Still sleep-enducing though. (Thanks to this I managed to sleep very nicely in the bus on my way home.)
15.09.2013 - 08:03
Rating: 9
Jtbmetal123

This album is purely amazing. Everything about it has classic written all over it. Its a solid 9. The reason its not a 10 for me is because of simply no Bill.
16.09.2013 - 00:12
Rating: 9
Mr.Moustache69

Pure 7 heres why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAGKxCwK-mw
02.10.2013 - 10:04
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 12.07.2013 at 22:23

Even 'Zeitgeist' managed to come across as soulless. They couldn't even get that right and that kind of thing should write itself.

Definitely the weakest song there. Nothing remarkable about this record but still was average to me.
29.01.2014 - 02:02
Arcesse Eum

End of Beginning = Black Sabbath + War Pigs
Loner = N.I.B.
Zeitgeist = Planet Caravan

Good album... a bit white washed, but good.
----
As above, so below.
29.01.2014 - 16:01
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Arcesse Eum on 29.01.2014 at 02:02
...a bit white washed...

How so?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.01.2014 - 18:25
Arcesse Eum

Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.01.2014 at 16:01

Written by Arcesse Eum on 29.01.2014 at 02:02
...a bit white washed...

How so?

It's got that squeeky clean, heavily pitch-corrected, polished feel. Everything is tightly edited, compressed, and glossy. A man in his mid-60s who can hardly speak clearly is probably not going to be belting out notes with such power without a lot of help from his engineer. Given that they are throwing back to their earlier albums, they could have let a few imperfections shine through - ...but they're ancient and they have a lot to live up to, so I figured its not a huge deal. It is 2014 after all, and music making technology ain't what it used to be. That being said, a lot of Sabbath's character comes from their 1970s vibe (In the interest of impartiality I should add that I don't care much for much post-1970s Sabbath.)
----
As above, so below.
30.01.2014 - 02:09
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Arcesse Eum on 29.01.2014 at 18:25
*response*

I was expecting a totally different answer (one that would have delved more into some sociological issues) but I guess that's because I've only ever heard the term "whitewashed" used to describe a historical/political cover-up.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.01.2014 - 17:26
Arcesse Eum

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.01.2014 at 02:09

*response*

I was expecting a totally different answer (one that would have delved more into some sociological issues) but I guess that's because I've only ever heard the term "whitewashed" used to describe a historical/political cover-up.

oh, yeh I meant it in the 'sterilized' sense of the word, not really the racial sense.
----
As above, so below.
30.01.2014 - 17:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arcesse Eum on 30.01.2014 at 17:26

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.01.2014 at 02:09

*response*

oh, yeh I meant it in the 'sterilized' sense of the word, not really the racial sense.

And the funny thing is when I read the term whitewashed here I was thinking of the term used in sports.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 30313 | This month: 96