06. Salt
07. Echo
08. Contaminate Me
09. Bury [mediabook bonus]
10. Foe [remix] [mediabook bonus]

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2013
Top 20 albums of 2013: 15

Additional info
Recorded by Vegard Tveitan & Heidi Solberg Tveitan at Mnemosyne, and various locations by Leprous.
Produced by Vegard Tveitan, Heidi Solberg Tveitan and Leprous.
Editing by Vegard Tveitan and Leprous.
Mixed by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios.
Mastered by Tony Lindgren at Fascination Street Studios.
Grand piano and violin recorded in Kulturkirken Jakob by Rune Børø.
Foe remix by Kristoffer Lislegaard.
Keyboard co-producer - Fredrik Klingwall.

Cover art by Jeff Jordan.
Artwork by Ritxi Ostáriz.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
For their new album Leprous have dedicated themselves to the studio with a purpose. It's a guarantee that they can create something fresh as they move into artistic routes unexplored and Coal is no exception to this in its emphasis on a particular mood. Here they seem cool, calm and collected as they attempt to project a particular atmosphere into their music. They go about this darker melancholic direction with a certain uncharacteristic seriousness. Mind you the result still sounds like a Leprous album but it isn't another Bilateral which was of a very eclectic nature.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2013 | Comments (29)

A band you can rely on to deliver the goods each time, in a convincing and fresh way. 'Scuse me while I kiss the va-a-a-a-aalley, this valley I'm in.

Milena's picks | More picks ››

Found in 69 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 77   Visited by: 1257 users
24.05.2013 - 23:26
Rating: 8
Diverge

Written by mz on 24.05.2013 at 16:45

The prime example of en excellent album ruined by terrible vocal. I really like the vox when the guy is really SINGING but the "Ah Ah Ahaha Aahhaha ahahhha haHA ah ah " is extremely and ridiculously overused. Moreover, "contaminate me" contains exaggerated vocal work The song writing and music is excellent. I especially liked the salt

Oh really? I thought the vocal performance, at times, was absolutely unreal, especially on Foe and Contaminate Me. It comes with the nature of theatrical prog metal to have some "exaggerated vocal work", I think. As only a moderate Leprous fan, I was relatively impressed with this release.
25.05.2013 - 11:17
mz

Written by Diverge on 24.05.2013 at 23:26

The prime example of en excellent album ruined by terrible vocal. I really like the vox when the guy is really SINGING but the "Ah Ah Ahaha Aahhaha ahahhha haHA ah ah " is extremely and ridiculously overused. Moreover, "contaminate me" contains exaggerated vocal work The song writing and music is excellent. I especially liked the salt

Oh really? I thought the vocal performance, at times, was absolutely unreal, especially on Foe and Contaminate Me. It comes with the nature of theatrical prog metal to have some "exaggerated vocal work", I think. As only a moderate Leprous fan, I was relatively impressed with this release.

Well, I don't care about "nature of theatrical prog metal". The most interesting aspect of leprous was their emotional edge not their technical abilities or show off common in prog metal. These guys do not need to follow the prog metal trends
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.05.2013 - 16:30
Diverge

Written by mz on 25.05.2013 at 11:17

Well, I don't care about "nature of theatrical prog metal". The most interesting aspect of leprous was their emotional edge not their technical abilities or show off common in prog metal. These guys do not need to follow the prog metal trends

So somehow, through the vocals primarily, Leprous lost part of their emotional edge for you on this record? Or they became too show-offy through the vocals?
Do clarify.
25.05.2013 - 19:08
mz

Written by Diverge on 25.05.2013 at 16:30

Written by mz on 25.05.2013 at 11:17

So somehow, through the vocals primarily, Leprous lost part of their emotional edge for you on this record? Or they became too show-offy through the vocals?
Do clarify.

Sorry for vague sentences. I did not meant explicitly that leprous has became "show off"y. I mean, in response to your "nature of theatrical prog metal", that leprous did not have some of common elements of prog metal such as technical show off and the most important aspect of their music (at least for me) was their emotional impact. The did not lost this ability this time and as a matter of fact, better vocal work on first and final track would have resulted an album with 9+/10 rating for me. I have listened to salt for more than 20 times today. All in all, this record is an excellent album but the vocals dragged me in some moments.
----
26.05.2013 - 00:44
Diverge

The did not lost this ability this time and as a matter of fact, better vocal work on first and final track would have resulted an album with 9+/10 rating for me.

If the exact things that I considered highlights were improved, the album would have vaulted up two slots to the higher end of the "excellent" spectrum for you.

LOOOOOOOOOOL. You're too much, man. I love it. Don't ever change.
26.05.2013 - 00:49
StrongLariat

Written by Zap on 24.05.2013 at 22:44

Can't. Stop. Listening. To. The. Cloak.

I can't stop listening to it either!
26.05.2013 - 08:28
mz

Written by Diverge on 26.05.2013 at 00:44

The did not lost this ability this time and as a matter of fact, better vocal work on first and final track would have resulted an album with 9+/10 rating for me.

If the exact things that I considered highlights were improved, the album would have vaulted up two slots to the higher end of the "excellent" spectrum for you.

ok
----
26.05.2013 - 18:26
Rating: 7
Arcesse Eum

Dark, droney, very little tech wank, more subtle in its technicalities, bordering on bizarre at times - good stuff, though a clear break from previous work.
----
As above, so below.
26.05.2013 - 22:36
Rating: 9
ProgVet

Brilliant. Absolutely stunning.
27.05.2013 - 07:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by mz on 26.05.2013 at 08:28

ok

Perfect response
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.05.2013 - 08:29
Fat & Sassy!

Guuuuurrrrrllllll, the first minute-and-a-half of The Valley is a Depeche Mode song.
27.05.2013 - 15:22
mz

Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.05.2013 at 07:45

ok

Perfect response

----
28.05.2013 - 05:55
Diverge

ok

Nice one. I was being pretty sassy, there.
Anyway, great hearing what kind of input you had.
28.05.2013 - 09:06
mz

Written by Diverge on 28.05.2013 at 05:55

ok

Nice one. I was being pretty sassy, there.
Anyway, great hearing what kind of input you had.

No problem,
May I ask what did you think about the previous Leprous records? Which one you prefer
----
29.05.2013 - 00:11
Saiyanity

Damn good album.
31.05.2013 - 03:23
Doge of Venice

This album kinda floats by, like a dark, moody daydream.

And I love it.
31.05.2013 - 16:39
DrM
DreaMutilated
I just love getting lost in this album, this is an incredible effort.

By the way - was I the only one who thought "Opeth" in the beginning of Salt's second verse? (cubes of marvel)
31.05.2013 - 23:08
Soulhole

Leprous continues to impress me. This may not be there strongest album (Bilateral holds that spot IMO) but it is still very solid. Einar's vocals make this band special. And it doesn't hurt that Ihsahn has backed up their efforts since the beginning.
01.06.2013 - 06:46
Nunzie 69

I really like Bilateral a lot ,but this I feel the vocals are way over the top. The man can sing but he doesn't have to go all balls out all the time, for me that gets really annoying. Pretty disappointed.
05.06.2013 - 22:36
Soulhole

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.06.2013 at 06:46

I really like Bilateral a lot ,but this I feel the vocals are way over the top. The man can sing but he doesn't have to go all balls out all the time, for me that gets really annoying. Pretty disappointed.

Don't really see how the vocals are anymore over the top then previous records. To me the vocals have always been a center point for the band and have always remained very consistent. I think that the vocals are more of an issue for some people this go around because the instrumental componets of the album are less complex. This is a softer, dreamier album compared to their last two efforts, and perhaps that draws more attention to the vocals. Anyways still a solid album, but also my least favorite of the three.
07.06.2013 - 22:27
Night Sight

What's that?very bad... i cant stand that!.i never expected them to be awefull like taht cause i expected them to be more creative and interesting than this according to previous one
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
09.06.2013 - 17:42
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Diverge on 22.05.2013 at 18:47

I wasn't invested in Bilateral that much

This. I think i listened to Bilateral once and put it back in the vault that is the immense Case Logic cd case sleeve. As for this album, I have listened to it twice through... at work, with crappy iPod headphones, without noise reduction, and no bass. I think i like it...I may need another spin and give it my complete attention. I know one thing, the singing is really "out there" lol.
----
rekt
10.06.2013 - 00:21
Rating: 10
Ahmed Mohamed A

I dont understand how a human being could find songs like Echo, The Valley, Salt, THe Cloak bad in anyway..............................

People's opinion is just so hard to understand sometimes, this album is great, nothing else to say
16.06.2013 - 17:14
Neroese
Account deleted
Not bad overall. In some parts remind me Devin Townsend.
20.06.2013 - 17:44
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Another great album. It sounds as crazy as the previous one, but, while Bilateral was more fierce and in-your-face, Coal is a more intricate kind of album. That's the reason it may appear more boring on first few listens. You just need to listen intently sucking up all the important detail that make this album so tasty.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
24.06.2013 - 22:42
mz

Ok, this album has grown on me and I'm updating my score to 9 (my initial score was 7 and then I gave it 8) but I can not help noticing that out of place vocal works
----
24.06.2013 - 22:59
Unhealer
Eclecticist
And I cannot help being amazed by the ending of this album, everytime.
27.06.2013 - 04:59
Diverge

Written by Unhealer on 24.06.2013 at 22:59

And I cannot help being amazed by the ending of this album, everytime.

Same! The ending is quite superb!
17.07.2013 - 22:08
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
I believe it has a "strange" ingredient that makes it a grower.

And among the abstract intended vibes, some words that spice things up. Plus the way he sings. Hmm that atmospheric combo saves the whole album. I'll keep listening.
----
\m/etalstor\m/
31.08.2013 - 22:10
Loendt

Beautiful album! Magnificent!

Hits total: 28011 | This month: 36