Act #2
07. Gunpowder Chant
08. Infralove
09. Wedding March For A Bullet
10. Qualms Of Conscience
11. Zodiac Virtues
12. Porcelain Judas
13. Pink Noise Waltz

Music like this doesn't come out that often; nowadays, in the metal scene, everyone seems to be doing what bands from the 80's and early 90's already shaped, most metal music kept recycling itself over and over again until we sadly got used to that fact without minding much. When a band like D:S:O suddenly appears and breaks the whole metal scheme with such an original sound and renewed vibe, I just can't help to be utterly impressed as I am right now.

D:S:O successfully combines a rich and meticulous preference for diverse connotations such as Swing, Flamenco, Jazz, Gothic Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal and Orchestral undertones in the whole album (who knows which genres I'm missing here); and in the end we have one of the most interesting albums this year. "The Butchers Ballroom" is an overwhelming experience that generates all kind of feelings from the beginning to the very end, making you want to replay the piece over an over again until your ears feel anesthetized.

I can't even explain how worthwhile this album is; from the overture you'll understand this is like nothing you've ever heard before. Songs like "Heroines", "Pink Noise Waltz", or "Wedding March For A Bullet" are blatant explosions showing the strength and power that D:S:O dwells, but cuts like "D'angelo", "Balrog Boogie" or "Zodiac Virtues" manage to show an astonishing ensemble that perfects the ability of music as a complex art. Musically, "The Butcher's Ballroom" is so complex and intricate that it could take a whole article to analyze the depths of every single track wrapping it; the instrumentation is skilled, the vocals are both beautiful and dominant, the atmospheres are dark in Act#1 but strong in Act#2, so as you can see this album has everything a music fan could wish for.

Production-wise the album is really clean, the layout is very suggestive and the lyrical content is outstanding, to find out more you'll have to buy this album. To sum things up, D:S:O is the most promising band this year; if their debut had such an impact in the audience I can't even imagine how their next albums will sound like.

Highly Recommended!!!

Best Tracks: "Balrog Boogie", "Pink Noise Waltz", "Heroines".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 12.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 369 users
12.12.2006 - 18:24
Black_Handed
A village idiot
wow just listening to sample on their myspace.....very good it is. it reminds me slightly of uneXpect although its much more jazzier. but they share the awesome atmosphere of mockery so unsual in metal.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
12.12.2006 - 18:28
Rating: 9
wrathchild

When I discovered their MySpace profile, I couldn't believe my ears. Their music is outstanding. I'll make sure I'll buy this album sometime soon

Discovery (and best album?) of the year
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
12.12.2006 - 18:52
Rating: 10
annodomini

wow i didnt expected a review here ;] This album is one of my top 5 albums of this year... it is so fucking amazing and it really stands by UneXpetc - In a flesh aquarium, but its a little softer , but it is perfect... every song is a masterpiece...
----
the riddle wants to be...
12.12.2006 - 19:27
Bas
Retired Staff
i listened to the songs in their myspace profile after reading the review and was qutie surprised, really original music

although i dont think they are my discovery or band of the year, i should check out more of their stuff, it's extremely interesting...
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
12.12.2006 - 20:20
Basso
Account deleted
Really strange stuff, yet very catchy and atmospheric. I will give it a shot (even if I have a hard time with female vocals)..
12.12.2006 - 21:09
jadawal

From the stuff on myspace this band seems really fucking crazy, a breakthrough in metal and music. And the female vocals are deadly, really really good, sounds a little like Tarja Turunen almost.
12.12.2006 - 21:27
jadawal

Is there history about the 500 years and shit true? It can't be...like it just so happens they're all good musicians too?
12.12.2006 - 21:49
Sunioj

Written by jadawal on 12.12.2006 at 21:09

From the stuff on myspace this band seems really fucking crazy, a breakthrough in metal and music. And the female vocals are deadly, really really good, sounds a little like Tarja Turunen almost.

Are you kidding me!! Musically this soprano kicks the shit out of the finnster!! No offense to anyone nightwish fans, Im approaching this from a musical standpoint, this vocalist carries her notes and vibrato FAR better than most altos or sopranos in metal. Not to mention her voice and tone is so much more moving

Im so impressed, Im definetly going to be picking this one up somewhere.
I never heard a band so musically traditional ( with the soprano vocals and classical/jazz touches ) and at the same time keeping sh** heavy!

This is real music.
12.12.2006 - 22:19
jadawal

Written by Sunioj on 12.12.2006 at 21:49

Are you kidding me!! Musically this soprano kicks the shit out of the finnster!!

Notice I said "a little" and "almost" Haha.
12.12.2006 - 22:45
El Vikingo

I can't wait to pick up this CD. This is exactly my type of thing
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
13.12.2006 - 01:15
Herzebeth

I'm really glad with all the comments I'm sure you will all be pleased with this CD. as I said earlier, this could be the Breeakthrough Performance of the year, at least in my lists.
----
13.12.2006 - 03:15
Hyvaarin

Great review! I'm having a bit of a hard time getting over the novelty factor, but it is certainly cool music.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
13.12.2006 - 03:24
Rating: 8
HardSide

Hm? That good and I haven't heard of it? and sounds like unexpect? Too good to be true, now I gotta get it. Thanks again herz in advance if this is really that good.
13.12.2006 - 12:37
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Sounds like Therion a bit... great
13.12.2006 - 14:26
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Awesome stuff. Good find mate...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
13.12.2006 - 15:12
Sunioj

Written by jadawal on 12.12.2006 at 22:19

Written by Sunioj on 12.12.2006 at 21:49

Are you kidding me!! Musically this soprano kicks the shit out of the finnster!!

Notice I said "a little" and "almost" Haha.

She does have a similar vocal tone, I did notice that...
13.12.2006 - 16:26
Southern Wind
Account deleted
hehehe not my thing, really but two thumbs up for their bizarre originality
13.12.2006 - 17:25
Herzebeth

Written by Spyroid on 13.12.2006 at 12:37

Wow that name never crossed my brain...but I think, in some small bits, you're actually right
----
13.12.2006 - 17:32
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Herzebeth on 13.12.2006 at 17:25

Written by Spyroid on 13.12.2006 at 12:37

Wow that name never crossed my brain...but I think, in some small bits, you're actually right

I listened to Pink Noise Waltz and Heroine, they have many similarities, even in the guitarwork. But when Therion is more operatic and symphonic, DSO feels more like chamber music or something, but metal, at least those songs. Balrog Boogie is more alternative and sounds like it could be Mike Patton or something xP
13.12.2006 - 18:13
pleasure.seeker

Yes, Yes, Yes. I must buy it!!
----
My last.fm
13.12.2006 - 20:43
Murder

Wow... this project is so fucking good... original.
And the add of jazz music.... ooo... what can I say...
This is a great band, they have an excellent future.
14.12.2006 - 00:25
MUSIC?
Account deleted
Wow. Thank you, Herzebeth, for introducing me to this band. Album of the year.

"Poetic Pitbull Revolutions" is the song of the decade.
14.12.2006 - 02:25
DeFiLeR556
Account deleted
Listened to Balrog Boogie and Heroines and bought the cd within half an hour. Absolutely amazing stuff, I can't wait to pick apart the songs.
14.12.2006 - 03:02
Talvi

OMG. Check that myspace. Heard Balrog Boogie. Then half Heroine. I stopped music. I didn't even wanted to hear the other track. I'm gonna get this album NOW.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
14.12.2006 - 05:44
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I love this band know after I listened to the myspace. That's some fairly original stuff. Thanks for the review and for hooking me on to this band Herz!
14.12.2006 - 19:46
Der Meister
Account deleted
Í love this shit!
14.12.2006 - 20:46
Susan
Smeghead
Holy. Crap.

Indeed this is amazing. I am listening right now and cannot believe my ears. So many musical styles that make me happy are rolled into one amazing experience.

Thanks Herzebeth
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.12.2006 - 02:57
Herzebeth

I'm very glad that you all liked this band, thanks for all the comments.
----
15.12.2006 - 05:00
MetalSpider

Damn I have to find this! Heard some of the songs and they are great!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.12.2006 - 14:36
Lupas
Maximus
ANy help from where do you bought this album .
In myspace there is a link to a store but the cd is not avaiable right now.
Any help pls. PM me
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy

Hits total: 25106 | This month: 28