07. Midnight Lullaby
08. A World Without
09. Don't Look Back
10. Fallout
11. Open Road

Guest review by
IanYeara
Rating:
All right, let's bite this in the butt; I am not a Queensryche fan, in fact this was the first Queensryche album I had listened to in full (though I have since listened to more). From the first time I heard the song "Redemption" I was very excited for this album as a metal head. Obviously this is a very hyped album with a lot of expectations riding on its shoulders and basically the reputation of the name Queensryche what with Geoff Tate's Frequency Unknown being a gigantic flop; the obvious questions are going to be, "how does it meet these standards and how does it compare to the last 20 years of garbage that this band has been pumping out?"

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 48   Visited by: 577 users
29.04.2013 - 23:56
Maco
Pvt Funderground
More and more my hopes for this album are getting higher.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
20.05.2013 - 19:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
New song "Where Dreams Go To Die" from a radio rip, so the sound quality isn't great!

20.05.2013 - 23:18
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.05.2013 at 19:01

New song "Where Dreams Go To Die" from a radio rip, so the sound quality isn't great!

better quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h9KOvIdk8gc
21.05.2013 - 00:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JÄY on 20.05.2013 at 23:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h9KOvIdk8gc

Yep, I found that official video shortly after I made that post, and made a post in the news section. But it hasn't been put up yet.
18.06.2013 - 14:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tryd, so boring , ehhhhh
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.06.2013 - 15:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Really good album. It is clear that Tate was holding Queensrÿche back all those years.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2013 - 16:07
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
And just like that, Tate has officially been sent to his grave. Very strong album, "Open Road" alone blows anything from the past 16 years out of the water.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.06.2013 - 22:03
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2013 at 15:10

Really good album. It is clear that Tate was holding Queensrÿche back all those years.

Agreed. Just listened: the first decent Rÿche album in nearly twenty years and Geoff Tate is nowhere to be seen! Fair to say I'm surprised by how much I liked it actually.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
18.06.2013 - 22:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by CobiWan1993 on 18.06.2013 at 16:07

And just like that, Tate has officially been sent to his grave. Very strong album, "Open Road" alone blows anything from the past 16 years out of the water.

Although I think that song could really have done with a more expansive arrangement, even as it is, it towers over 95% of the material released since "Promised Land". A couple of the songs definitely should have been longer, with "Don't Look Back" in particular sounding as if it's unfinished. Overall, there is a lot to enjoy on the new album, and most importantly, the album actually sounds like Queensryche, which is something that couldn't be said for the vast majority of the post-Promised Land material. Another plus is the album sounds fantastic. Which is a rare thing these days when it comes to modern production on hard rock/metal albums.

Stylewise, I'd put this album somewhere between "Empire" and "Promised Land". It's not as overtly ambitious as the latter, but is not as radio friendly as the former. It sits nicely between those two albums, though I can't help thinking that Chris DeGarmo's involvement could have elevated this album to truly classic status. But still, after the huge amount of rubbish that has been released under the Queensryche name over the last few years, this album is like a breath of fresh air. It's good to have the boys back, and they really found a gem in Todd La Torre. At times he sounds very like Geoff, which is a good thing, but he brings just enough of his own style to the table to give the band a fresh sound.
19.06.2013 - 00:13
Rating: 8
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Great album!! I'm very pleased with the end result..
----
greets,
kual21
19.06.2013 - 02:36
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.06.2013 at 22:22

Written by CobiWan1993 on 18.06.2013 at 16:07

Although I think that song could really have done with a more expansive arrangement, even as it is, it towers over 95% of the material released since "Promised Land". A couple of the songs definitely should have been longer, with "Don't Look Back" in particular sounding as if it's unfinished. Overall, there is a lot to enjoy on the new album, and most importantly, the album actually sounds like Queensryche, which is something that couldn't be said for the vast majority of the post-Promised Land material. Another plus is the album sounds fantastic. Which is a rare thing these days when it comes to modern production on hard rock/metal albums.

Stylewise, I'd put this album somewhere between "Empire" and "Promised Land". It's not as overtly ambitious as the latter, but is not as radio friendly as the former. It sits nicely between those two albums, though I can't help thinking that Chris DeGarmo's involvement could have elevated this album to truly classic status. But still, after the huge amount of rubbish that has been released under the Queensryche name over the last few years, this album is like a breath of fresh air. It's good to have the boys back, and they really found a gem in Todd La Torre. At times he sounds very like Geoff, which is a good thing, but he brings just enough of his own style to the table to give the band a fresh sound.

I agree, this album isn't perfect or "classic" by any means, but it's still a very solid work for what it is and I think it's a great return to form. Todd sounds awesome on this album (even though I think the effects make his voice sound artificial at points, the talent still seeps through very well). While "Open Road" is one of my favorites, I definitely think it should have been expanded upon (along with many of the other songs, since i wanna hear more!!), but It's still a song of the year contender for me as it is. Chris De Garmo's involvement would have probably made this return even greater, but as long as the band continues making music like this again, I'll be fine with that as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
19.06.2013 - 12:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by CobiWan1993 on 19.06.2013 at 02:36
I agree, this album isn't perfect or "classic" by any means, but it's still a very solid work for what it is and I think it's a great return to form. Todd sounds awesome on this album (even though I think the effects make his voice sound artificial at points, the talent still seeps through very well). While "Open Road" is one of my favorites, I definitely think it should have been expanded upon (along with many of the other songs, since i wanna hear more!!), but It's still a song of the year contender for me as it is. Chris De Garmo's involvement would have probably made this return even greater, but as long as the band continues making music like this again, I'll be fine with that as well.

The more I listen to the album, the more I like it, although "Don't Look Back" still frustrates the hell out of me! "Open Road" is a great song, no two ways about it, but it could have been made into something very special, which it falls just short of being. But just hearing the band making majestic music like that again, makes me very pleased and proud to be a Queensryche fan once more.

I had stuck with the band through their many years of mediocrity since the late 90's, but "Dedicated To Chaos" really was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. As far as I was concerned, the band was dead in the water, and I'd have been very happy if they had called it a day after that album. However, it is very clear that Geoff was the one holding them back all these years, and excising him from the band has allowed them to rise from the ashes, and start the process of restoring the Queensryche name to it's former glory. I do think Chris being involved could have made this album a classic, but I still find a lot to enjoy in the album. Two songs which have really grown on me over repeated listens are "Spore" and "A World Without". Listening to the album on headphones helped those songs to really come into their own for me. I love the eastern tinges in the former song, whilst the latter reminds me very much of Operation Mindcrime due to Pamela Moore's vocals and it's eerie atmosphere.
23.06.2013 - 00:54
alex t

Better than I expected. Good production, good lyrics, very good vocals and real progressive heavy metal sound on the most of the tracks. It was nice to hear and sound of violin in some of the tracks. My favorite tracks are Redemption, Vindication, Don't Look Back, Fallout and Open Road. Finally, very good album after many, many years from this band.
24.06.2013 - 00:23
qlacs
"The Quaker"
A QR album that finally sounds like QR.
----
24.06.2013 - 05:57
JÄY
Metal slave
More excited for what is to come...
25.06.2013 - 07:45
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Great songwriting, just wish they had paid more attention to the low-end during production. Everything sounds a bit squished together.
02.07.2013 - 14:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
My first impression was a good one of this album. But after repeated listens I have to say it's just average. Biggest problem is that all the songs are just mid tempo (even though they had more up tempo tracks in the pre-production phase, as well) and Tod tries way to hard to sound like Tate. Tod should try to sound like himself then he won't sound as forced as he does now.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2013 - 18:26
Rating: 2
manowar-god44

I have to say that Queensryche has fallen off the cliff...Chris DeGarmo had to be the driving force in the song writing dept. I'm not sure why people think that either version of Queensryche is anything like the past. This new ryche album with Todd is way too wimpy, its more like a pop album to me. Its really not just Geoff losing it, the other members have lost it too. Very disappointed in this...terrible shit.
04.07.2013 - 18:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Meh, Nothing special. I suppose it's better than their last few releases tho.
----
rekt
06.07.2013 - 05:20
Rating: 9
Scuzzy McDouche

Written by manowar-god44 on 03.07.2013 at 18:26

I have to say that Queensryche has fallen off the cliff...Chris DeGarmo had to be the driving force in the song writing dept. I'm not sure why people think that either version of Queensryche is anything like the past. This new ryche album with Todd is way too wimpy, its more like a pop album to me. Its really not just Geoff losing it, the other members have lost it too. Very disappointed in this...terrible shit.

Troll? If not, what the fuck, are you're outta your god damn mind?! This is the best album they have made since Mindcrime. Todd is a better singer than Geoff ever was...ok, stopping myself before I go into a long vicious rant on this clown.

You would have just been punched in the head about ten times if you were at my party.

Bye, have a nice day...
06.07.2013 - 06:40
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 06.07.2013 at 05:20

Written by manowar-god44 on 03.07.2013 at 18:26

Troll? If not, what the fuck, are you're outta your god damn mind?! This is the best album they have made since Mindcrime. Todd is a better singer than Geoff ever was...ok, stopping myself before I go into a long vicious rant on this clown.

You would have just been punched in the head about ten times if you were at my party.

Bye, have a nice day...

How dare he have that opinion!
07.07.2013 - 15:51
Rating: 9
DrumMachine84

Great album IMHO and I agree that this is their best album since Mindcrime. Hopefully the new lineup will continue to refine their sound and continue to churn out great music. Maybe DeGarmo may return, and, like Iron Maiden did, have 3 rhythm/ lead guitar players (never a bad thing).
----
I am the voyager, I have tasted pleasures of the flesh and drunk the pleasures of the mind;
-Nevermore; I, Voyager;

07.07.2013 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DrumMachine84 on 07.07.2013 at 15:51

, and, like Iron Maiden did, have 3 rhythm/ lead guitar players (never a bad thing).

of which one is totally useless, like in Iron Maiden's case. All their songs are purely two guitar songs totally not in need of a third guitar. And live Janick isn't even plugged in most of the time
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.07.2013 - 13:01
Lustful Maid

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2013 at 14:46

My first impression was a good one of this album. But after repeated listens I have to say it's just average. Biggest problem is that all the songs are just mid tempo (even though they had more up tempo tracks in the pre-production phase, as well) and Tod tries way to hard to sound like Tate. Tod should try to sound like himself then he won't sound as forced as he does now.

Because deep inside of queensryche, they still can not live without Tate ! I am really interested to find out how Queensryche did it without amazing Tate's vocals !
08.07.2013 - 13:07
Lustful Maid

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.07.2013 at 22:24

Written by DrumMachine84 on 07.07.2013 at 15:51

, and, like Iron Maiden did, have 3 rhythm/ lead guitar players (never a bad thing).

of which one is totally useless, like in Iron Maiden's case. All their songs are purely two guitar songs totally not in need of a third guitar. And live Janick isn't even plugged in most of the time

Why a progressive metal band needs 3 guitars ? Are they a Spanish progressive metal band now ? I'm interested to find out.
08.07.2013 - 20:58
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy

And live Janick isn't even plugged in most of the time

Just curious, but what's your basis for this Marcel?
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
09.07.2013 - 00:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LordFezzington on 08.07.2013 at 20:58

And live Janick isn't even plugged in most of the time

Just curious, but what's your basis for this Marcel?

Live experiences when he throws his guitar in the air.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.07.2013 - 10:27
Lustful Maid

- This album is not progressive enough, sounds like a hard rock trying to be progressive ! Tate's Queensryche- Frequency Unknown (F.U) is obviously slinghtly better than Queensryche - Queensryche (the solos sucks!).
- Tate has taken away "the soul" of Queensryche, the soul refers to the "progressive elements of Queensryche" and his "jazzy bass vocals". Todd's vocals are not expressive as Tate, Todd is more mid-range vocals, i think glam metal and hard rock is more suitable for him.
09.07.2013 - 22:49
Nicko's Nose

How the fuck was Tate the soul of the band? He only wrote the lyrics. How the fuck was he responsible for the progressive elements of Queensryche? He only wrote the lyrics. It's a good thing that they fired Tate, if he would have stayed in the band, "they" would've made another Dedicated To Chaos. DTC was beyond fucking terrible, but Tate thought it was good. If Tate would've stayed in the band, he would've have destroyed the band.

Todd's vocals are more metal than Tate's vocals. Saying his voice is more suitable for glam metal and hard rock is stupid.

Oh and Frequency Unknown is a piece of shit. Even less progressive than Queensryche's self titled album.
10.07.2013 - 11:12
Lustful Maid

You're very emotional...you got personal feud with Tate ? Relax, everybody goes crazy sometimes, don't judge the album by his attitude. Both albums sucks, but Tate' s is better due to Tate's more expressive jazzy vocals.

Hits total: 11230 | This month: 30