Metal Storm logo
mz's Favs

These are the albums which I like the most. Since I have not listened to a lot of albums( let's say, max 400 for me), it would be pretentious to make a list of my 100 favorite albums, so I keep this list short.

Created by: mz | 09.05.2013

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by mz ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 43   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 114 users
09.05.2013 - 00:34
mz

I listed 25 albums when I was submitting but now there are 22. What happened ? :|
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.05.2013 - 01:20
Erik M.

Why don't have album covers included? It looks better. And make sure all of the albums are linked correctly, which isn't the case now... anyway, nice list. I see 10 albums that I think are great, but it needs more doooom. Check out my lists too (http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2570 and http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2645), they might interest you, seeing your musical taste.

PS. You just got your first .
09.05.2013 - 10:19
mz

Written by Erik M. on 09.05.2013 at 01:20

Why don't have album covers included? It looks better. And make sure all of the albums are linked correctly, which isn't the case now... anyway, nice list. I see 10 albums that I think are great, but it needs more doooom. Check out my lists too (http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2570 and http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2645, they might interest you, seeing your musical taste.

PS. You just got your first .

I'm not much familiar with making list and as you see, this is the first time I do such, I am looking for the way too add album covers asap. Also, I knew that the links do not work correctly last night when I posted this but could not do anything due to terrible internet connection. I tried perhaps 10 times to have a shout in shout box but was unsuccessful for that reason. I know it might be unbelievable for some but internet here is just that terrible. Fuck Iran's government.
Regarding the context of list, as I stated, it would be pointless to make an extensive list since I have not listened to much albums. Also, for doom metal albums, I had hard time deciding about saturnus, anathema (their non-doom metal album, but still) , draconian, katatonia (again, one of their modern albums), process of guilt, Candlemass, Acid Bath, Electric Wizard and sunn o))) since these are bands which I enjoy at least one of their albums to the great extent but ended up this way.
Also,I had checked your lists and they were really cool as I recall, especially your list of debut albums is really interesting and diverse. Our taste seem to be compatible
Ano thank you for liking, it is much appreciated
----
09.05.2013 - 18:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
These lists always end up looking crap if you show the album art works, as you end up with gaps from bands that aren't included on MS.
09.05.2013 - 21:10
Erik M.

Written by mz on 09.05.2013 at 10:19

I'm not much familiar with making list and as you see, this is the first time I do such, I am looking for the way too add album covers asap. Also, I knew that the links do not work correctly last night when I posted this but could not do anything due to terrible internet connection. I tried perhaps 10 times to have a shout in shout box but was unsuccessful for that reason. I know it might be unbelievable for some but internet here is just that terrible. Fuck Iran's government.
Regarding the context of list, as I stated, it would be pointless to make an extensive list since I have not listened to much albums. Also, for doom metal albums, I had hard time deciding about saturnus, anathema (their non-doom metal album, but still) , draconian, katatonia (again, one of their modern albums), process of guilt, Candlemass, Acid Bath, Electric Wizard and sunn o))) since these are bands which I enjoy at least one of their albums to the great extent but ended up this way.
Also,I had checked your lists and they were really cool as I recall, especially your list of debut albums is really interesting and diverse. Our taste seem to be compatible
Ano thank you for liking, it is much appreciated

I see, that explains it. It seems more people from Iran have internet connection problems, so I believe you (Fritillaria is from Iran too and she has the same problems). I actually like the first two albums of Anathema way more than their other albums. Same goes for Katatonia: their first two albums are excellent and better than the rest for me (although I admit I haven't heard everything, but due to the large difference in style (which I don't like at all) I can be pretty sure that I won't like any of those more). And yes, the other bands you mentioned all have great albums in my opinion, although I'm not familiar with Acid Bath, Electric Wizard and Sun O))).

Thanks for the +1 by the way on my debut albums list. I do think it's indeed pretty diverse, but it could be way more diverse if I actually would enjoy all styles of metal. I don't really like heavy, power, alternative and nu metal... and anything that has "-core" in it. But I'm still open to heavy and power (well, a little bit) metal.

Written by Guest on 09.05.2013 at 18:25

These lists always end up looking crap if you show the album art works, as you end up with gaps from bands that aren't included on MS.

Yeah, but only if you include albums from bands that aren't featured on MS. Even then, I still think this list looks better with the album artwork.
09.05.2013 - 23:17
mz

Written by Guest on 09.05.2013 at 18:25

yeah, I figured it out after adding the cover photos but since there are not many non-MS albums here, the problem will be insignificant. It is not like I listen to non-metal as much as you. I could imaging how crab looking your lists will become if you add cover photos since there are always several albums in them which are not featured here.
----
10.05.2013 - 01:18
mz

Quote:
I see, that explains it. It seems more people from Iran have internet connection problems, so I believe you (Fritillaria is from Iran too and she has the same problems). I actually like the first two albums of Anathema way more than their other albums. Same goes for Katatonia: their first two albums are excellent and better than the rest for me (although I admit I haven't heard everything, but due to the large difference in style (which I don't like at all) I can be pretty sure that I won't like any of those more). And yes, the other bands you mentioned all have great albums in my opinion, although I'm not familiar with Acid Bath, Electric Wizard and Sun O))).

Thanks for the +1 by the way on my debut albums list. I do think it's indeed pretty diverse, but it could be way more diverse if I actually would enjoy all styles of metal. I don't really like heavy, power, alternative and nu metal... and anything that has "-core" in it. But I'm still open to heavy and power (well, a little bit) metal.

I think the internet condition would deteriorate since presidency election is approaching
To get back on topic, I should add that my most favorite anathema album is alternative 4. It seems that everyone is pointing to the silent enigma as their best work. I listened to that album 4 years ago and do no recall being that impressed. It might be due to fact that I was not into death doom that time. Also, for the case of katatonia, I truly like their debut and BMD but Viva Emptiness is their best IMO. VE is simply well composed and the diversity of songs is a clear evidence of that.
Regarding your musical taste, I think it is already diverse and you can not force yourself to like sth. I am neither into power metal, heavy metal and also gothic, nu and symphonic. Moreover, I have not listened to anything with "-core" in its name and do not know how corish bands sound and why there is an omnipresent hate over core styles. I should check this asap.
----
10.05.2013 - 01:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 09.05.2013 at 21:10

Yeah, but only if you include albums from bands that aren't featured on MS. Even then, I still think this list looks better with the album artwork.

Why would you just restrict yourself to albums on MS? MS is not the be all and end all of metal
10.05.2013 - 01:34
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 01:23

Why would you just restrict yourself to albums on MS? MS is not the be all and end all of metal

Because I can only check out so much music... there's more than enough music for me on MS to fully enjoy myself. At least, for the time being. I might change my opinion, but right now I feel I've just scratched the surface of the genre as a whole. I see your point though, since this way I'm probably missing out on a lot of great bands. However, that's always the case, since I don't even like keeping up with new releases. I just search for music via genres that I enjoy the most and that way I keep discovering new music. Note that I've only rated a bit less than 300 albums, which is far less than almost 2000 (what you have).
10.05.2013 - 01:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 10.05.2013 at 01:34

Because I can only check out so much music... there's more than enough music for me on MS to fully enjoy myself. At least, for the time being. I might change my opinion, but right now I feel I've just scratched the surface of the genre as a whole. I see your point though, since this way I'm probably missing out on a lot of great bands. However, that's always the case, since I don't even like keeping up with new releases. I just search for music via genres that I enjoy the most and that way I keep discovering new music. Note that I've only rated about 1/10th of what you have rated. Pretty big difference if you know I'm nearing 300 ratings.

I find MS doesn't really cater to my tastes too much these days really. I tend to hunt through blogs and such for new stuff. For some reason I find most of the new stuff added to MS pretty bog standard, with the odd exception here and there.
10.05.2013 - 01:47
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 01:38

I find MS doesn't really cater to my tastes too much these days really. I tend to hunt through blogs and such for new stuff. For some reason I find most of the new stuff added to MS pretty bog standard, with the odd exception here and there.

Haha, I don't have that issue at all, luckily. I guess you could say the stuff on MS is pretty mainstream compared to the stuff that's in your lists?
10.05.2013 - 07:49
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Rishloo's Feathergun album is one my all time favs, moving and atmospherically awesome! Not to mention all the other great ones here, cool list!
10.05.2013 - 09:21
mz

Written by R'Vannith on 10.05.2013 at 07:49

Rishloo's Feathergun album is one my all time favs, moving and atmospherically awesome! Not to mention all the other great ones here, cool list!

Feathergun is really impressive and highly original but to be honest, I do not know why I love this album so much since it is obviously imperfect in many aspects. I may say that Feathergun had personal impact on me.On a side note, I really prefer rishloo over Dredg, the band which is mostly compared to them. It is also surprising that Rishloo is no featured here since we have Dredg and MSers seem to love them. Also, tahnk you for your kind words
----
10.05.2013 - 09:32
mz

Written by Guest on 10.05.2013 at 01:38

Written by Erik M. on 10.05.2013 at 01:34

Because I can only check out so much music... there's more than enough music for me on MS to fully enjoy myself. At least, for the time being. I might change my opinion, but right now I feel I've just scratched the surface of the genre as a whole. I see your point though, since this way I'm probably missing out on a lot of great bands. However, that's always the case, since I don't even like keeping up with new releases. I just search for music via genres that I enjoy the most and that way I keep discovering new music. Note that I've only rated about 1/10th of what you have rated. Pretty big difference if you know I'm nearing 300 ratings.

How much time on average you spend haunting and finding new music?
----
10.05.2013 - 15:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 09:32

How much time on average you spend haunting and finding new music?

Well the past few weeks have seen me fall into my usual mid-year rut where I'm not looking for everything, but usually I scour certain key blogs for bands that seem to fit what I look for. If I like what I see then I check out a song of theirs, if I like that song then I'll check out the full length. It's basically just about efficiency and knowing what you like. You won't see me dedicating an hour to an album I'm not sure I'm going to like.
10.05.2013 - 16:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Good stuff. Although I prefer Bath over Part The Second. Also honorable mention goes to 10,15 and 23.
----
rekt
10.05.2013 - 19:34
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Lots of great albums here, many of them demanding alot of attention to enjoy fully. Weighing Souls With Sand, The Call Of The Wretched Sea in particular have a phenomenal atmospheric sound.
10.05.2013 - 20:33
mz

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.05.2013 at 16:02

Good stuff. Although I prefer Bath over Part The Second. Also honorable mention goes to 10,15 and 23.

Thank you, I once listened to bath and found that album average comparing to part the second. Will retry bath again this week
----
10.05.2013 - 20:48
mz

Written by CyberSymphony on 10.05.2013 at 19:34

Lots of great albums here, many of them with demanding alot of attention to enjoy fully. Weighing Souls With Sand, The Call Of The Wretched Sea in particular have a phenomenal atmospheric sound.

Your comment is much appreciated, thank you.Those two albums indeed have great atmosphere with harsh emotional impact.
----
10.05.2013 - 20:51
mz

I am surprised with relatively positive feedback, now I'm accomplished:D
----
11.05.2013 - 00:31
Diverge

Good list!
11.05.2013 - 07:12
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 09:21

Feathergun is really impressive and highly original but to be honest, I do not know why I love this album so much since it is obviously imperfect in many aspects. I may say that Feathergun had personal impact on me.On a side note, I really prefer rishloo over Dredg, the band which is mostly compared to them. It is also surprising that Rishloo is no featured here since we have Dredg and MSers seem to love them. Also, tahnk you for your kind words

You're welcome I much prefer Rishloo to Dredg. You might say Feathergun's imperfections give it a certain character that makes it personally impacting, enables some sort of fondness. I prefer not to think so much in terms of perfection or imperfection but just how much the music gets into your head. Music isn't meant to be perfect I don't think, it can have faults and unique/special traits but they can be different things to different people.
11.05.2013 - 12:18
mz

Written by R'Vannith on 11.05.2013 at 07:12

Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 09:21

You're welcome I much prefer Rishloo to Dredg. You might say Feathergun's imperfections give it a certain character that makes it personally impacting, enables some sort of fondness. I prefer not to think so much in terms of perfection or imperfection but just how much the music gets into your head. Music isn't meant to be perfect I don't think, it can have faults and unique/special traits but they can be different things to different people.

I 100% agree with you and that's simple why I put rishloo here. As stated earlier, it have had personal impact on me in spite of its imperfection. I cant really describe that album and its atmosphere properly
----
11.05.2013 - 19:36
mz

Written by Diverge on 11.05.2013 at 00:31

Good list!

tnx dud
----
11.05.2013 - 23:38
PocketMetal

Nice list , I really love some of these albums . though I'll probably never get what's so amazing about Lurker of Chalice ... every time I try to listen to that one I'm willing to bite my finger off just so I can feel something ... LoC just sounds so hollow to me .

The bands that I love the most on this list are Tool , Pain of Salvation and Esoteric .
12.05.2013 - 22:36
mz

Written by PocketMetal on 11.05.2013 at 23:38

Nice list , I really love some of these albums . though I'll probably never get what's so amazing about Lurker of Chalice ... every time I try to listen to that one I'm willing to bite my finger off just so I can feel something ... LoC just sounds so hollow to me .

The bands that I love the most on this list are Tool , Pain of Salvation and Esoteric .

Cool. If you do not like a certain band/album, just do not try it. I have the same problem with ruins of the beverast and do not enjoy this band at all, yet everyone is craving for RoTB music. I consider LoC a great band and enjoy its music and that's it
Also, regarding Tool, Pain of Salvation and Esoteric, well dud these are excellent to say at least and as you see, my first two most favorite albums are from Tool and Esoteric.As I once posted in your fb page, we share a lot when it comes to musical taste.
----
20.05.2013 - 15:13
mz

I give up adding descriptions, too lazy for that
----
08.05.2014 - 00:52
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Ewww The Sound of Perseverance? I didn't realize you enjoyed that
08.05.2014 - 01:32
mz

Written by Alex F on 08.05.2014 at 00:52

yeah nothing wrong with it :p
Seriosuly, I do realize that vocals on that album are not the best you could get but they really work for me. It might be due to the fact that this album was the 1st extreme metal record I heard. I might had listen to it even before like of early metallica an slayer.
----
10.05.2014 - 19:16
Diverge

Written by mz on 08.05.2014 at 01:32

Written by Alex F on 08.05.2014 at 00:52

yeah nothing wrong with it :p
Seriosuly, I do realize that vocals on that album are not the best you could get but they really work for me. It might be due to the fact that this album was the 1st extreme metal record I heard. I might had listen to it even before like of early metallica an slayer.

Don't listen to them. SOP gets such a bad rep on MS. I honestly think it competes strongly with Human for Death's finest accomplishment.

Hits total: 4663 | This month: 10