Metal Storm logo
The Dark Side of Death Metal

04.06.2013 - 16:53
mz

It seems that lately, a new trend in Death Metal has started and bands like Portal,Impetuous Ritual, Abyssal, Mitochondrion, Ulcerate,Ævangelist ,Owl and Antediluvian (which I have yet to check out) managed to create some of the darkest forms of death metal. These bands, while not being exactly empty of technical or brutal elements, are mostly famous because of their harsh atmosphere and often have some non death metal inspiration (like post metal elements in Ulcerate's sound or ambient layers in the music of Mitochondrion,Ævangelist and Owl) . Since most of these bands appeased me and seemingly some other MSers around here, I though it would be appropriate to have an integrated topic about them to promote/discuss/suggest interesting band with similar sound. So, here it begins:what you think about this trend? Can we have a separate category in death metal realm in future for this trend? Also, new suggestions, both MS and non-MS bands, are appreciated.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.07.2013 - 20:12
Aristarchos

The darkest dm album I could think of is Sororicide - the entity from 91.
15.07.2013 - 20:13
Aristarchos

15.07.2013 - 20:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
That sort of dark death metal trend has been going on for quite a few years already. But only just recently have been getting the recognition it deserves.

Btw, I don't find Sororicide dark at all. Just standard old school death metal, not worthy of the praise it's been getting in certain Metal Archives and ANUS obsessed circles.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2013 - 06:36
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'm having trouble getting into this style, I'll try again later. Anyway, I enjoyed that release with the psycho-owl on the cover, how was it called? Ah, Wormlust.
16.07.2013 - 13:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Unhealer on 16.07.2013 at 06:36
Ah, Wormlust.

Wormlust? As in... The icelandic Wormlust that plays black metal?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.07.2013 - 13:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah nothing death metal about that one. Not really even the same kind of atmosphere either to be honest.
16.07.2013 - 16:04
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.07.2013 at 20:31

That sort of dark death metal trend has been going on for quite a few years already. But only just recently have been getting the recognition it deserves.

What would be the first album with distinct dark death metal sound you would put into this category?
----
16.07.2013 - 17:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.07.2013 at 13:16

Written by Unhealer on 16.07.2013 at 06:36
Ah, Wormlust.

Wormlust? As in... The icelandic Wormlust that plays black metal?

Yes, that one. Based on Joe's reprimand and yours that's probably the reason I liked that band and not these from the bits I heard I think I remember they had a similar sound with those heavy and dense atmospheres, even if it's BM in opposition to DM... but I'm in no position to argue that really.

EDIT: Took a quick listen to these bands. The only bands I had checked before were Portal and Ævangelist, and the productions of the vocals, atmosphere and soundscapes does remind me of Wormlust. That's the sound I got by reading the thread description so I thought about them.
The other bands don't seem to sound much like them though, and thread is about death metal anyway so...
16.07.2013 - 23:01
mz

Written by Unhealer on 16.07.2013 at 17:57

Yes, that one. Based on Joe's reprimand and yours that's probably the reason I liked that band and not these from the bits I heard I think I remember they had a similar sound with those heavy and dense atmospheres, even if it's BM in opposition to DM... but I'm in no position to argue that really.

EDIT: Took a quick listen to these bands. The only bands I had checked before were Portal and Ævangelist, and the productions of the vocals, atmosphere and soundscapes does remind me of Wormlust. That's the sound I got by reading the thread description so I thought about them.
The other bands don't seem to sound much like them though, and thread is about death metal anyway so...

I have not checked the wormlust yet. if you think Wormlust sound similar to portal and aevangelist, I will try it.
Thanks for having contribution on this topic
----
17.07.2013 - 00:42
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Wormlust sounds like Portal

Check out also 'War Of All Against All' by Diocletian, if you want some decent devilish-DM shit. Here's a semple:

17.07.2013 - 00:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Diocletian are rather good indeed.

This is the one band I would recommend at the moment. Probably played this more than any album released this year.

17.07.2013 - 03:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Paz on 17.07.2013 at 00:42

Same reaction. Nothing remotely similar at all besides both bands playing what we call "metal".
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2013 - 04:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2013 at 03:29

Same reaction. Nothing remotely similar at all besides both bands playing what we call "metal".

Just for the record, I didn't say that. That would be plain wrong.
The aspects I found similar are listed in my post above. And I'm referring to a couple of songs out of their latest albums, just in case their older albums were a lot different.
17.07.2013 - 04:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Even talking about their recent stuff is plain wrong.
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2013 - 21:48
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Meh, the points I mentioned do remind me of Wormlust. It's true that when you break through those aesthetics the music played is totally different, but it's those production similarities that made that connection in my head, I guess.
Just hope nobody misquotes me saying "Wormlust sounds like Ævangelist? lolololol" next
17.07.2013 - 23:48
Sunioj

Not a huge fan of the bands listed (except Mitochondrion), though subjective I feel that a good mention is Lantern's new album "Below". It has a really occult feel to it with its murky atmosphere and its cave like production. I agree this certain approach isn't new, and it is good to see it being mentioned more these days. It's pretty much the main type of DM I like i.e. Vorum, Krypts, Ignivomous, Cruciamentum, as well as Death/Doom like Funerus, Sonne Adam and Desecresy (which is also quite dark). I'm quite picky though.

Here is one of my favorites by Drowned, the vocals are really awesome.

Diocletian is quite good btw, nice find !J.O.O.E.!
17.07.2013 - 23:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 17.07.2013 at 23:48

Here is one of my favorites by Drowned, the vocals are really awesome.

Diocletian is quite good btw, nice find !J.O.O.E.!

No prob. That Drowned stuff is also very nice indeed. Will look into that demo.
19.07.2013 - 01:28
mz

Written by Guest on 17.07.2013 at 00:47

Diocletian are rather good indeed.

This is the one band I would recommend at the moment. Probably played this more than any album released this year.

I'm enjoying this very much. Their music is sufficiently suffocating but vocal is brought up too much into the mix.
----
26.07.2013 - 21:25
DyingWorld

I think there's potential in the idea of it all but a lot of these bands don't live up to it. It's probably just me though. Most of the bands listed in this thread are okay but they don't do much for me. I would rather listen to Infester and diSEMBOWELMENT.
28.07.2013 - 10:37
mz

I found this band called "Serpent Ascending" , This track "saturnal" is really enjoyable.

Someone teach me how to put direct links into my text
----
28.07.2013 - 15:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
<url=PUT URL ADDRESS HERE>PUT LINK NAME HERE</url>

Replace brackets with square brackets of course.
28.07.2013 - 17:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by mz on 28.07.2013 at 10:37

I found this band called "Serpent Ascending" , This track "saturnal" is really enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dgnTgrCWA

Someone teach me how to put direct links into my text

Assuming you mean direct links to youtube:

[ youtube ] what's-after-the=sign [ / youtube ] (remove all spaces)

Like this:

05.08.2013 - 12:40
mz

@ ^, ^^: thank you
----
05.08.2013 - 18:38
mz

"desolate shrine" could be the best death metal I've heard in a while. Their music can be described as infinte sea of distorted guitar voice and thick wall of sound. subtle instrumental works in the background but I'm not sure about them. The distortion is too much and might make the illusion of sounds. Their take on death metal is really crushing

----
08.08.2013 - 10:29
mz

Aethyrvorous, hailing from Australia and playing similar to antediluvian and portal. Unfortunately, they have been split up and only released a demo.
----
09.08.2013 - 04:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Uzumaki - Gift of Tongues

Bandcamp
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.08.2013 - 13:00
mz

...Diocletian...

finally checked your link and this is damn good. I like how everything is raw as fuck. Thank you
----
13.08.2013 - 15:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I recommend two chilean bands:

Inferis's latest album. Some cool melodies and riff-fest hidden here and there. Not as dark as the others but still great shit worth recommending.

A personal favorite: Wrathprayer. For the fans of Portal (in particular the side-project Impetuous Ritual) and Teitanblood. Very evil and savage stuff (and damn what an artwork)

Entire album streaming at bandcamp!
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2013 - 11:21
mz

Another side project by the guys behind portal. I personally prefer impetuous ritual but this band is also good

----