Metal Storm logo
Unofficial sources for database edits

12.06.2013 - 10:17
psykometal
A staff guy...
It's been mentioned/discussed many times, all over Metal Storm, that unofficial sources are not acceptable when submitting/accepting edits to the band database. Yet I am still seeing several submissions/acceptances where sites like Metal Archives (of all sites!) and Wikipedia are still being used and accepted as the source for submissions/edits in Metal Storm's database. This needs to stop NOW!

Admittedly sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia are great places for finding a starting point such as images, official site links or general album info. But even that info still needs to be verified using official sources to verify that what you "found" there is correct. If you can't verify all the info through the band's official sites then you can start turning to some alternative options. You can try checking the band's label site(s). In the case of albums, look them up on sites like Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc.. You can try doing Google searches for news articles on sites like Blabbermouth, Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Metal Underground, Brave Words/Bloody Knuckles, etc.. You can also try Google searching for band interviews.

It should be common knowledge by now, especially to people who have "earned" the permissions to submit edits without a Staff-check and those who can also accept other user's submissions, that places like MA have a tendency to be grossly inaccurate and loaded with bad info. So STOP submitting/accepting information with sites like MA or Wikipedia as the source! Otherwise I might decide to take away your ability to edit anything unchecked for a determinate amount of time.

Some very well known, AND UNACCEPTABLE, unofficial sites:
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Rate Your Music
Spirit Of Metal (which is practically a copy/paste of MA anyway)
Wikipedia
mikseri.net

One of the pride and joys that I and many others, before and alongside me, have had through the years is the pleasure of shaping Metal Storm's database into something different and unique instead of just a copy/paste of sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia. We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be because we only submit/accept properly verified information. Each and every one of our Database Chiefs (myself included), and several other Staff and many of our Contributors, Elites, and Users have gone to great lengths to ensure that we are not just a copy/paste of Metal Archives and Wikipedia.

So please, help me and the rest of the Metal Storm Staff keep this database the most awesome, unique and accurate database for Metal (and related) music on the internet!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.06.2013 - 12:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MA also is good if you deal whit new mussican in new band, because some cases ppl submit already existing member here
Like you submit like new one useing his ''nick name'' and then its good to go at MA and see band/nickname and then see his last name and check if real name is at MS datebase
I rejected many such dublicated eddits

Wiki is good also in case if offical bio is written in fucked up formm, or nin english but wiki has english
home page / google translate if it fits whit wiki and wiki has better wrieing stytle, use wiki whit coppy past and note that HP bio is same
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.06.2013 - 14:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How about darklyrics, az lyrics and even lyric accepting ( rejecting from MA page?)
If band home page and facebook, any offical sources dont promote lyrics but those MA; darklyrics etc has
what we shood do then?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2013 - 16:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2013 at 14:23

How about darklyrics, az lyrics and even lyric accepting ( rejecting from MA page?)
If band home page and facebook, any offical sources dont promote lyrics but those MA; darklyrics etc has
what we shood do then?

I think it should be accepted as long as it's been linked from official sources and facebook page. Well, I've seen lot of errors on MA lyrics page and generally it create a mental block regarding anything been accepted from MA.
12.06.2013 - 17:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Like I said, you can start out on a site like MA but you still need to verify what you find there.

Even if the band is new, you're still going to have to go to their Facebook or Official sites to verify that what somebody else put on MA is correct or not anyway, so why not just go ahead and copy/paste that official link instead of MA's link to make your life and mine much easier.

I generally found that Dark Lyrics was pretty good at keeping accurate and using the same format as found in CD booklets, which is also how we want the lyrics formatted for MS. MA has that a lot of times but not all the time, with regards to the format. If you want to go to MA for lyrics and then read along with the song to verify that what is on MA is correct, then go for it, but you still need to submit the lyrics in the required paragraphical format as well.
----

12.06.2013 - 17:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 12.06.2013 at 17:08

Like I said, you can start out on a site like MA but you still need to verify what you find there.

Even if the band is new, you're still going to have to go to their Facebook or Official sites to verify that what somebody else put on MA is correct or not anyway, so why not just go ahead and copy/paste that official link instead of MA's link to make your life and mine much easier.

I generally found that Dark Lyrics was pretty good at keeping accurate and using the same format as found in CD booklets, which is also how we want the lyrics formatted for MS. MA has that a lot of times but not all the time, with regards to the format. If you want to go to MA for lyrics and then read along with the song to verify that what is on MA is correct, then go for it, but you still need to submit the lyrics in the required paragraphical format as well.

I rarey use MA like main source, maybe if its Judas Priest and Maiden what is well known , or well known cover lik Flotsam and Jetsam did Elton John cover

I always prefere offical sources , and I also said, MA is good to start useing, like basic site , because of links
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2013 - 17:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2013 at 17:13

I rarey use MA like main source, maybe if its Judas Priest and Maiden what is well known , or well known cover lik Flotsam and Jetsam did Elton John cover

I always prefere offical sources , and I also said, MA is good to start useing, like basic site , because of links

Yea well, I felt the need to reiterate because (as we all know, and as you are more than willing to admit) your English can be brutally inept and difficult to read/interpret/understand to many "untrained" users. So my reiteration is merely to make sure that others who come through here reading this understand that nobody, including you, is above the scrutiny of using MA under any circumstances as a Source.
----

12.06.2013 - 17:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 12.06.2013 at 17:18

Written by Bad English on 12.06.2013 at 17:13

Yea well, I felt the need to reiterate because (as we all know, and as you are more than willing to admit) your English can be brutally inept and difficult to read/interpret/understand to many "untrained" users. So my reiteration is merely to make sure that others who come through here reading this understand that nobody, including you, is above the scrutiny of using MA under any circumstances as a Source.

I can re vrite it in swedish and al can use google tools (better dont it will fuck up all)

EDDIT: Darl lyrics is most close to style i what MS lyrics must be

I would be happy if all users would also submit all corect bonus, live, limmited eddition, whit propher tags/codes and do All Emglish Songtitles Must Be Caitalized rules
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2013 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How about blabermouth and bravewords etc links not offical but
amd what if band offical facebook leades to blaber link whit news, album info etc? Can we accept it then?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.06.2013 - 22:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 12.06.2013 at 21:25

How about blabermouth and bravewords etc links not offical but

Sites like Blabbermouth and Bravewords may not be official band sources but they're well known and respected metal news sites who post legitimate news articles (like we do) that they get from official sources. So they are perfectly fine to pull info from. As I stated in my OP...

Quote:

You can try doing Google searches for news articles on sites like Blabbermouth, Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Metal Underground, Brave Words/Bloody Knuckles, etc..
----

13.06.2013 - 10:39
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
You should probably add AllMusic to the no-no list. If you think Wikipedia is inaccurate, you'll be amazed at allmusic's fraudulence.
"We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be " I know it's nitpicking, but Wikipedia at least had the right lineup for Dimmu Borgir's 1st album. It was wrong here, originally.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.06.2013 - 20:34
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 13.06.2013 at 10:39

You should probably add AllMusic to the no-no list. If you think Wikipedia is inaccurate, you'll be amazed at allmusic's fraudulence.
"We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be " I know it's nitpicking, but Wikipedia at least had the right lineup for Dimmu Borgir's 1st album. It was wrong here, originally.

Well I mean Wikipedia as a whole. There are some bands that Wikipedia are pretty accurate on (like Dimmu Borgir), because the people who have added info to those few band pages on Wikipedia also made sure to put their references at the bottom of the page.

Basically what I'm saying is that if the user lists Wikipedia as the Source they got the info from, then either reject it and tell them to go find a legitimate source or go check the Wiki page yourself and see if it has references that you can check. If you don't feel like going through that much trouble then just reject immediately and be sure to comment that they need to find a legit source. If you feel like being cool or you're bored then check the Wiki page for references and if it has some then verify those references are legit and comment to the user before accepting their submission:

"Wikipedia is not an official source. But there were references at the bottom of the page that verify that Wiki page is accurate. Do not use Wikipedia as your source in the future, list the references at the bottom of the Wikipedia page instead. If there are no references on the Wiki page then you need to look someplace other than Wikipedia for the info."

That may seem long winded but it gets the point across to that user that they need to go elsewhere for their info, not Wikipedia.
----

14.06.2013 - 00:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dont want to be angry but I am tired, yesterday dublication, 2 day tripliation
Damn look at all nick names, look band connection, use real name, real name in english whit out ä , ö, å whatever,
other nick names like Norge BM brotherhood has in each band one before yoyu submit new line up

and also about same name , diferent mussican, MS rules say new same name member must be add whit upcomming roman letther
We have platyny like name, name , name name , what is not same
It must be name , name (I), name (II), name(III)

I suggest if user dint use roman number, simply reject such addit

Leither all is pain in ass fix all dublications and put roman numbers
----

apos;'
[image]
14.06.2013 - 00:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 14.06.2013 at 00:13

Rant about duplicate musician profiles.

This has nothing to do with using unofficial sources for band edits.
----

15.06.2013 - 04:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by psykometal on 13.06.2013 at 20:34

Written by M C Vice on 13.06.2013 at 10:39

I know what you said the first time. I've just been wanting to get the Dimmu thing off my chest for ages. And in support of your argument, wiki says Shadowside's first album was released in 07, when it was 05.
----
15.06.2013 - 08:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 15.06.2013 at 04:35

I know what you said the first time. I've just been wanting to get the Dimmu thing off my chest for ages. And in support of your argument, wiki says Shadowside's first album was released in 07, when it was 05.

Ah, fair enough. My bad.
----

17.06.2013 - 10:38
psykometal
A staff guy...
FYI, I've added AllMusic to the list of well-known unofficial sources (@Vice's suggestion). And I decided to add something to the end of the third paragraph.

Happy editing!
----

18.06.2013 - 01:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If all
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Wikipedia

confirms album name and track list but band official home page has only title and it will be relised sometime sin to future, but album is out now, since band home page is out of date?

what then?
----

apos;'
[image]
18.06.2013 - 01:17
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 18.06.2013 at 01:08

If all
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Wikipedia

confirms album name and track list but band official home page has only title and it will be relised sometime sin to future, but album is out now, since band home page is out of date?

what then?

There are always more legitimate ways to find album tracklists. There's a ton of licensed online dealers out there such as labels and iTunes or Bandcamp that can be used to find a correct tracklist.
----

18.06.2013 - 02:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 18.06.2013 at 01:18

Ok but if band is old like some weird 80's band whit 1 album out and almost only info is MA?

I realize you're unemployed and all, but do you seriously have nothing better to do (while sitting around drinking God knows what random beer you found) than come up with odd "what if" scenarios to ask me about? I would say if the ONLY source, on the ENTIRE internet, for an old as hell 80s metal album is MA then fine. But some effort should be put into trying to find some kind of more legitimate source.
----

26.06.2013 - 22:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by theFIST on 26.06.2013 at 21:17

seems like long conversations with bad english cause emulation of him

No idea what you're talking about...
----

26.06.2013 - 22:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by theFIST on 26.06.2013 at 21:17

Written by psykometal on 18.06.2013 at 02:31

more legitamte source.

seems like long conversations with bad english cause emulation of him

----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2013 - 11:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Amazon's alright for adding albums, right? (I saw them on the original post, just making sure). I might add a box set to Girlschool's discography when I receive the package.
----
09.07.2013 - 12:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 09.07.2013 at 11:46

Amazon's alright for adding albums, right? (I saw them on the original post, just making sure). I might add a box set to Girlschool's discography when I receive the package.

since you can buy album there, it seems OK , you can not buy album what does not exist
----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2013 - 17:06
D.T. Metal

But you have to make sure about the album version. A lot of bands DO release "special" albums just for Amazon, Best Buy, or other big box retailers.
09.07.2013 - 17:42
psykometal
A staff guy...

Yes, merch stores (like Amazon and iTunes) are fine to use as sources. And don't forget to check for special editions as D.T. stated.
----

09.07.2013 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 09.07.2013 at 17:47

Just remember to avoid bootlegs. My guess is that Amazon could sell some of those, but I'm not sure because I rarely visit that site.

MA has more bootlegs then amazon and wiki has , even all booylegs in MA has notifications, but still some add those here (or done it in the past)
----

apos;'
[image]
09.07.2013 - 17:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How about local metal what is specializing about local metal
like metalfromfinland - Finland
ferrum - about Lithuanian
serbian metal potal - serbia and ex yugo
estonianmetal - Estonia
there was Bulgarian metal portal, but i cant find
bandzone - cz and slovakia

how about thos elike bio, line up sources
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2013 - 10:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by D.T. Metal on 09.07.2013 at 17:06

But you have to make sure about the album version. A lot of bands DO release "special" albums just for Amazon, Best Buy, or other big box retailers.

Written by psykometal on 09.07.2013 at 17:42

Yes, merch stores (like Amazon and iTunes) are fine to use as sources. And don't forget to check for special editions as D.T. stated.

Thanks. That's why I'm waiting 'till I have the set with me to add it. It's called The Bronze Years and it has the 1st 4 Girlschool albums. It's from either Cherry REd or Lemon records (I think one owns the other).
----
27.07.2013 - 01:03
Paz

I lost my desire in helping you in this area by all these requirements. From today I announce the end of cooperation. Find yourself another fool.