Metal Storm logo
The Best "(Melodic) Death Doom" Albums

Here's a list that contains only Death Doom and Melodic Death Doom Metal albums, so Gothic (check out my other list for that), Funeral or Sludge Doom etc. are NOT included here (but elements from those subgenres might be present in some of the albums on this list). The reason I made this list is because "death doom" is easily one of my all-time favourite subgenres of music in general. Also, there's not a single similar list on MS to be found (at least to my knowing), hence why I feel people who are into this subgenre can use this list to find out more great music. The list is ordened to my own preference and all these albums are worth at least an 8/10 (the alphabetically ranked albums on the bottom of the list will eventually be ranked among the others, but I haven't listened enough to those to do so). The styles (pure/melodic/atmospheric death doom metal) of the ranked albums are also added so it's easier for people to find what they're looking for. I only add 1 album per band for the sake of variety as well as for keeping the list comprehensible. Lastly, give me suggestions so I can check 'em out and add them to the list (only albums that are featured on MS).

Created by: Erik M. | 04.08.2013

1. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
1996 / Style: Pure/Atmospheric
2. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
1993 / Style: Pure
3. Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You
1996 / Style: Melodic/Atmospheric
4. Desire - Locus Horrendus - The Night Cries Of A Sullen Soul...
2002 / Style: Melodic/Atmospheric
5. Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
6. Anathema - The Silent Enigma
1995 / Style: Pure/Atmospheric
7. Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus
2002 / Style: Pure
8. Officium Triste - Reason
2004 / Style: Melodic
9. Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
2005 / Style: Pure
10. Slumber - Fallout
2004 / Style: Melodic
11. Ophis - Stream Of Misery
2007 / Style: Pure
12. Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
2003 / Style: Melodic
13. Wine From Tears - Through The Eyes Of A Mad
2009 / Style: Melodic
14. Sadness - Ames De Marbre
1993 / Style: Avantgarde
15. Forest Of Shadows - Departure
2004 / Style: Melodic/Atmospheric
16. Bilocate - Sudden Death Syndrome
2008 / Style: Melodic
17. Indesinence - Vessels Of Light And Decay
2012 / Style: Pure
18. Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
1994 / Style: Melodic
19. Paradise Lost - Shades Of God
1992 / Style: Pure
20. Doom:VS - Earthless
2014 / Style: Melodic
21. Decomposed - Hope Finally Died...
22. Hanging Garden - Inherit The Eden
2007 / Style: Melodic
23. Unholy - Gracefallen
1999 / Style: Pure/Atmospheric
24. Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
2006 / Style: Melodic
25. Celestial Season - Solar Lovers
1995 / Style: Pure
26. Morgion - Solinari
1999 / Style: Pure/Atmospheric
27. Necare - Ruin
2005 / Style: Melodic
28. Chalice Of Doom - Into Hypnagogia
2013 / Style: Melodic
29. October Tide - Rain Without End
1997 / Style: Melodic
30. Why Angels Fall - The Unveiling
2010 / Style: Atmospheric
31. Whispering Forest - Of Shadows And Pale Light
1998 / Style: Atmospheric
32. Hooded Menace - Never Cross The Dead
2010 / Style: Pure
33. Winter - Into Darkness
1990 / Style: Pure
34. Inborn Suffering - Wordless Hope
2006 / Style: Pure
35. Rapture - Futile
1999 / Style: Melodic
36. Shattered Hope - Absence
2010 / Style: Melodic/Atmospheric
37. Before The Rain - ...One Day Less
2007 / Style: Pure
38. Nox Aurea - Ascending In Triumph
2010 / Style: Melodic
39. Mourning Lenore - Loosely Bounded Infinities
2010 / Style: Melodic
40. Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
2005 / Style: Pure
41. Doomed - In My Own Abyss
2012 / Style: Pure
42. Black Sun Aeon - Darkness Walks Beside Me
43. The 11th Hour - Burden Of Grief
2009 / Style: Pure
44. Ablaze In Hatred - The Quietude Plains
45. Falling Leaves - Mournful Cry Of A Dying Sun
2012 / Style: Melodic
46. The Gathering - Always...
1992 / Style: Pure
47. Graveyard Dirt - For Grace Or Damnation
2010 / Style: Pure
48. NOT YET RANKED ALBUMS
49. Abysmal Darkening - No Light Behind
50. Anhedonist - Netherwards
51. Frailty - Lost Lifeless Lights
52. Frozen Pain - Remembrances
53. Helevorn - Forthcoming Displeasures
54. Morphia - Frozen Dust
55. My Lament - Broken Leaf
56. On The Edge Of The NetherRealm - Different Realms
57. The Fall Of Every Season - From Below
58. The Prophecy - Revelations
59. Vin de Mia Trix - Once Hidden From Sight

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Erik M. ]

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 121   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 768 users
13.10.2013 - 22:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Erik M. on 13.10.2013 at 21:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 17:13

I am wondering if Erik wet himself yesterday in Little Devil seeing Officium Triste with temporary guitarist William van Dijk from Whispering Gallery playing a surprising stelist, due to the inclusion of Your Fall Grace at William's request, although closing song Like Atlas was played too fast.

Hahaha. Yeah, it was an excellent setlist they had yesterday. All songs from the last 3 albums which are my favourite albums (of course Reason is my favourite, hence why it's on this list). Great to watch them perform Your Fall From Grace, because they never played it live before. I didn't notice Like Atlas was played too fast though, but that's probably because I'm easily satisfied when it comes to gigs, unlike you. Yes, the fact of seeing a great band perform is good enough for me most of the time. Of course when some aspects are obviously not good or even bad, then I'd still complain. But the more gigs you attend, the more critical you become. That obviously means you must be way more critical than me.

it was a good gig though, yesterday. But then again I have never seen Officium Triste deliver even an average gig.
Some minro mistakes were made in the songs by William, but that was to be expected since he was extremely nervous, this being his first gig with OT. I think it was a good move to have this dress rehearsal a week before they play Dutch Doom Days in their hometown (come to think of it of the current live line-up only Pim and Lawrence are from Rotterdoom). This will have taken the nervous edge off William for next week.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 22:08
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 22:00

it was a good gig though, yesterday. But then again I have never seen Officium Triste deliver even an average gig.
Some minro mistakes were made in the songs by William, but that was to be expected since he was extremely nervous, this being his first gig with OT. I think it was a good move to have this dress rehearsal a week before they play Dutch Doom Days in their hometown (come to think of it of the current live line-up only Pim and Lawrence are from Rotterdoom). This will have taken the nervous edge off William for next week.

I agree, definitely a good performance. First time I saw them they impressed more though, but that was not because of their performance but because then they played more than twice as long (a little under 2 hours I think) and the venue was just way better. Little Devil is good, but that venue in Ridderkerk was pretty awesome, in every aspect. Oh and it was kind of obvious that he was nervous, especially when he had to play that part in Like Atlas alone. Hehe, and I actually thought they were all from Rotterdam.
13.10.2013 - 22:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Erik M. on 13.10.2013 at 22:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 22:00

I agree, definitely a good performance. First time I saw them they impressed more though, but that was not because of their performance but because then they played more than twice as long (a little under 2 hours I think) and the venue was just way better. Little Devil is good, but that venue in Ridderkerk was pretty awesome, in every aspect. Oh and it's kind of obvious that he was nervous, especially when he had to play that part in Like Atlas alone. Hehe, and I actually thought they were all from Rotterdam.

the line-up that played yesterday. NIels lives in Utrecht, William in Hoogland, Gerard somewhere in Brabant. Pim and Lau in ROtterdam. Martin (keyboard player and ex-drummer) who only plays live once in a while live in Germany. Bram who was on holiday, why William played, lives in Utrecht as well.

Originally Maritn is from Rotterdam and Gerard as well and also the Original guitarist Johan is from Rotterdam as is the Original bass player, who's name I have forgotten
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 22:17
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 22:13

the line-up that played yesterday. NIels lives in Utrecht, William in Hoogland, Gerard somewhere in Brabant. Pim and Lau in ROtterdam. Martin (keyboard player and ex-drummer) who only plays live once in a while live in Germany. Bram who was on holiday, why William played, lives in Utrecht as well.

Originally Maritn is from Rotterdam and Gerard as well and also the Original guitarist Johan is from Rotterdam as is the Original bass player, who's name I have forgotten

Haha, most of that I didn't know yet, so thanks for clearing that up.
17.10.2013 - 21:46
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 17.10.2013 at 21:41

Well shit, my favorite genre is Death Doom also.

I am displeased in the lack of Saturnus in this

Good to know and thanks for the +1. But Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You is most definitely in it (hell, I even mentioned it's one of my favourite albums ever in your list ). I only list 1 album/band and Saturnus' debut is my favourite for sure, so that's why it is listed here. My second favourite would be Saturn In Ascension and after that Veronika Decides to Die and Martyre (never understood the hype around those two albums).

If I would list 2 or 3 albums per band the list would be too long as it would reach 100 albums easily then.
17.10.2013 - 22:06
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 17.10.2013 at 21:54

I never liked 1 album per band lists..
As for Saturnus: My two favorites are Veronika and Paradise, Saturn in Ascension comes close 3nd and Martyre not so close 4th..
I think you should relisten Veronika one time, it doesn't have the atmosphere of Paradise but it's awesome..

Can you do a list of your favorite Doom Death / Gothic Doom albums?

I initially had 2 albums/band, then even 3 albums/band but eventually changed it to 1 album/band because I got many suggestions and thus the list kept growing. Now with around 60 albums on it, I don't think it would be a good idea to have 2 albums/band on it since then there would be 80-100 albums listed easily. I'll think about it, but I'm not sure yet.

I listened to Veronika Decides to Die many times and I actually began to like it less after more spins. Not saying it isn't a great album, but for me it doesn't even come close to Paradise Belongs to You. This list is already death doom and many gothic doom albums are on my gothic list already, so I don't think I'll create a list of those two combined since most albums on these two lists would also be on that new list, which is a bit unnecessary. Not saying I won't do it, but let me think about it. Btw, would you say adding genres to my gothic list would be a good idea? I might just do that.
18.10.2013 - 13:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Delirium - Zzooouhh should also be included imo

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2013 - 18:57
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2013 at 13:53

Delirium - Zzooouhh should also be included imo

I listened to the whole album and must agree it's solid death doom for sure. Although seeing as it isn't featured on MS I'm not sure whether I'll include it, sorry. Don't you think the list is long enough already? If I were to include non-MS albums then it'll only increase in length. Anyway, I'll think about adding it nonetheless.
22.12.2013 - 23:43
Góral
Combo Breaker
Very interesting list, though very selective (this has its advantages and some disadvantages). After explaining a few details, I say "yes". + 1 from me
23.12.2013 - 21:17
Erik M.

Written by Góral on 22.12.2013 at 23:43

Very interesting list, though very selective (this has its advantages and some disadvantages). After explaining a few details, I say "yes". + 1 from me

Thanks a lot man. Initially I had 2 albums/band and after that even 3 albums/band as a maximum, but the list got too big because of the many suggestions, hence why I now have only 1 album/band. I think a list like this which has around 60 albums is pretty big already and it would easily be 80 albums long if I'd have 2 albums/band set as a maximum. I might still do that, but I have ignored this list lately and I'll first order all albums (now 15 of them still aren't ranked).
12.01.2014 - 20:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You seemed to have branched away from exclusively having melodic death doom. Winter, Disembowelment, Hooded Menace etc. Maybe time for a title and description change
12.01.2014 - 21:53
mz

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 20:58

You seemed to have branched away from exclusively having melodic death doom. Winter, Disembowelment, Hooded Menace etc. Maybe time for a title and description change

he probably means that death doom+melodic death doom albums are included here by "(melodic) death doom"
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
12.01.2014 - 21:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 21:53

he probably means that death doom+melodic death doom albums are included here by "(melodic) death doom"

If so this is a confusing way of highlighting that fact
12.01.2014 - 22:03
mz

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 21:58

Yeah I've noticed that. This method is used extensively in our language and probably several other ones but I haven't seen it much in English tbh.
----
12.01.2014 - 22:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:03

Yeah I've noticed that. This method is used extensively in our language and probably several other ones but I haven't seen it much in English tbh.

Fair enough. I think a simple "death doom and melodic death doom" type description would allay any confusion.
12.01.2014 - 22:16
mz

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 22:04

Fair enough. I think a simple "death doom and melodic death doom" type description would allay any confusion.

Agreed but I guess "(Melodic) death doom" is vague and thus, more artistic
----
12.01.2014 - 22:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:16

Perhaps, but melodic death doom is far from an artistic genre
12.01.2014 - 22:26
mz

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 22:18

Perhaps, but melodic death doom is far from an artistic genre

Erik will disagree as melodic death doom is seemingly his most favorite genre
----
12.01.2014 - 22:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:26

Too lacking in experimentation for me to be considered artistic =P
14.01.2014 - 00:13
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 20:58

I never had only melodic death doom here. The list immediately had lots of "pure" death doom as well, like the ones you mention.

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 21:58

Is it really? I don't see what's confusing about it at all. If this list was only about melodic death doom I would've called the list "The Best "Melodic Death Doom" Albums". Pretty big and obvious difference if you ask me.

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 22:04

I won't change the title (it will be too long, hence why I chose this list title), but I can change it a bit in the description so it's more clear.

Written by Guest on 12.01.2014 at 22:27

Too lacking in experimentation for me to be considered artistic =P

I guess so, but experimentation isn't necessarily equal to quality. But I do know you prefer experimentation in your music, but I can't say I need that all the time.
14.01.2014 - 00:13
Erik M.

Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 21:53

Indeed, that's exactly what I mean.

Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:03

I honestly cannot see what's so confusing about this. it's pretty logical if you ask me.

Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:16

Well, it's pretty obvious even without reading the description I'd say. Hell, I've even added the style of each album (pure, melodic or atmospheric, in most cases).

Written by mz on 12.01.2014 at 22:26

I don't really care honestly. That being said, it's hard to say if it's my favourite genre, but if I had to choose it would indeed be melodic death doom. I also listen to a lot of atmospheric black, so that one would come 2nd.
14.01.2014 - 00:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
As mz stated, it may be a regional thing, but having melodic in parentheses and death doom in quotation marks is very confused grammar to my eyes. You're quoting "death doom" but not "melodic." It just appears a bit jumbled.
14.01.2014 - 00:24
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 14.01.2014 at 00:22

As mz stated, it may be a regional thing, but having melodic in parentheses and death doom in quotation marks is very confused grammar to my eyes. You're quoting "death doom" but not "melodic." It just appears a bit jumbled.

Oh damn, you mean it should be like this: "(Melodic) Death Doom"? If so, then I misunderstood you completely.
14.01.2014 - 00:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 14.01.2014 at 00:24

Oh damn, you mean it should be like this: "(Melodic) Death Doom"? If so, then I misunderstood you completely.

I'm not an expert on grammar by far. Marcel could probably tell you if it's technically correct or not. It looks better to me like that though, as (Melodic) "Death Doom" feels as though the melodic part is modifying the death doom part to mean death doom of the melodic type.
14.01.2014 - 00:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just do away with the quote marks. So call it: The Best (Melodic) Death Doom Albums.
Or if you want to use the quote marks than it should indeed be: The Best "(Melodic) Death Doom" Albums
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2014 - 00:31
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 14.01.2014 at 00:27

I'm not an expert on grammar by far. Marcel could probably tell you if it's technically correct or not. It looks better to me like that though, as (Melodic) "Death Doom" feels as though the melodic part is modifying the death doom part to mean death doom of the melodic type.

Ah I see. Honestly though, I did it to have the same style as my other list. Might be a bad reason, but I didn't see the harm either. I might change it though...
14.01.2014 - 00:33
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2014 at 00:30

Just do away with the quote marks. So call it: The Best (Melodic) Death Doom Albums.
Or if you want to use the quote marks than it should indeed be: The Best "(Melodic) Death Doom" Albums

Okay, will do that. Thanks.
25.01.2016 - 23:54
Pimeässä
Pimeässä
Great list
09.02.2016 - 22:44
reesemartin

Many of you may find this a worthy addition to a list such as this: Schaliach - Sonrise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJuMP8jAuC4
23.02.2017 - 13:49
PersianKiddo

Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart (2008)

Hits total: 52584 | This month: 59