04. e5
05. n4
06. c7
07. e2
08. a7bsence

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
This year I've been convinced that some Polish metal musicians and their associates must also be wizards. The latest major releases from Riverside and, in this case, Blindead display excellence of production values which I can only describe as something magical or seemingly impossible, as both these bands recordings have come to us in an impeccable packaging of sound. The quality here is superb.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2013 | Comments (18)

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 79   Visited by: 351 users
07.10.2013 - 00:49
Rating: 8
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 06.10.2013 at 19:49

They have lost identity, because kinda changed the style and reach for some influences you think?

Now it's a very extensive topic for me, I could talk about it for hours. It would be difficult to describe it all. So I promise Paz to tell you about my thoughts and opinions at the earliest opportunity ;]
07.10.2013 - 06:16
Rating: 9
Diverge
Written by Góral on 07.10.2013 at 00:49

Written by Paz on 06.10.2013 at 19:49

They have lost identity, because kinda changed the style and reach for some influences you think?

Now it's a very extensive topic for me, I could talk about it for hours. It would be difficult to describe it all. So I promise Paz to tell you about my thoughts and opinions at the earliest opportunity ;]

ie. I've adopted a position that is far too extreme and cannot be possibly be defended, so give me some time to think up some bullshit.

I'm very interested in hearing how Blindead are a totally different band now, and how there are virtually no continuities with the Blindead of old. It's a pretty extreme position, and to be blunt, it is one that has been supplemented only with a series of flimsy, unsatisfactory arguments at the present time.

As I've stated, I really enjoyed the album, although I do recognize a lot of its demerits and why it wouldn't appeal to other people. Even though Paz didn't get invested with this album and thought most of the songs were average, his position was entirely moderate and reasonable, and we even reached some common ground there. If you aren't going to provide substantiation as to why Blindead has become an utterly new entity, I think it would be reasonable to assume you're simply a butt-hurt former fanboy. Affliction was mind-blowing and by far the better record, but there are definitely some fruitful aspects to their explorations here.
07.10.2013 - 12:34
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Diverge on 07.10.2013 at 06:16

ie. I've adopted a position that is far too extreme and cannot be possibly be defended, so give me some time to think up some bullshit.

I see that you are reading a very cursory my posts and don't pick up their meaning completely. Maybe it's my bad English, or perhaps simply you can not accept a different views than your. Anyway, very sorry that I can not better describe my position - my bad english not allow me. But I would gladly discuss with you face to face and to know your point better. But believe me, son, you don't know what you're writing and you don't understand me completely.
07.10.2013 - 14:09
Paz
elite
Written by Góral on 07.10.2013 at 12:34

I see that you are reading a very cursory my posts and don't pick up their meaning completely. Maybe it's my bad English, or perhaps simply you can not accept a different views than your. Anyway, very sorry that I can not better describe my position - my bad english not allow me.

Your english is pretty cool G.

I think you gone a little too far in your statement... Still I don't confuse them with any other band on the planet (even if there are some influences/more 'sugary atmosphere'), so about total loss of personality there can't be said.

Written by Diverge on 07.10.2013 at 06:16

there are definitely some fruitful aspects to their explorations

Indeed. Matteo Bassoli (surname commits) has done quite a good job on the bass guitar here.
07.10.2013 - 17:15
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 07.10.2013 at 14:09

I think you gone a little too far in your statement...

Kill me Paz, but that is my feeling. For you it's a worse album, but the band is still "the same". For me, it's a good album, but this is a "different band" now. Maybe our visit in Poznań in November will change me point of view, I would like to, really.
08.10.2013 - 19:10
Paz
elite
Written by Góral on 07.10.2013 at 17:15

this is a "different band" now.

Lyrically certainly not. Each of their consecutive albums tells a complex story leading to philosophical conclusions and so is the case this time ...but fuck it, who pays attention to the lyrics!

PS. Seriously I begin to appreciate this release after more than 10 spins in recent days (always starting from the 2nd track though).
09.10.2013 - 14:19
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 08.10.2013 at 19:10

Lyrically certainly not. Each of their consecutive albums tells a complex story leading to philosophical conclusions and so is the case this time

Another concept album, another philosophical history. Of course it is. But now I focus primarily on how this story is presented to us. And I don't mean a new, expanded instrumentation, personnel changes, or a new electronic "special effects". It's good when bands evolve, looking for a new ways of expression, new ideas, new inspiration. I always appreciate it and I will. I mean only about emotions. Emotions - which define the path along which moves a band. Emotions are for me the most important criterium when distinguishing between the personality of the individual bands. The music genres are a matter of less importance. Using the simplest words (eh, my English) I ask myself:

If the previous Blindead's works are for me the "emotional scream" something must have happened that the band suddenly "calmed his voice" and decided to "speak to me in a whisper." Don't get me wrong - I don't just mean change in vocals. I'm not talking about the artistic means of expression, I'm talking about emotions contained in "Absence". I think it's the same as with people: you can change your external image, but what you really feel inside can not be so easily changed. To be different, you need a major, deeper change. Need to change own "I". Or... You can pretend. It's your choice.

While listening to "Absence" I feel a completely different emotions, than ever before with this band. If we assume that what we hear in "Absence" is really sincere and come from the Blindead's heart, then something must have happened in the Blidead's life. Something important. Something that has led to search for the new band's identity. Will be the new character liked or not - that's another dilemma.
10.10.2013 - 10:34
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 08.10.2013 at 19:10

(always starting from the 2nd track though).

Nivrame will kill you for it
11.10.2013 - 12:51
Paz
elite
Written by Góral on 10.10.2013 at 10:34

Nivrame will kill you for it

It will be a sad day (for both of us), when our musical tastes have merged.
11.10.2013 - 18:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Did not disappoint. I love "direction" the band is taking. It isn't a huge change, as a matter of fact I am not shocked at all, this album is a refinement of their sound. After all they are a PROGRESSIVE doom/sludge/post band. I don't know why fans are getting all uptight. You couldn't see this coming? Each album marks a new territory in their sound. They did take some cues from their fellow countrymen Riverside, not going to deny that but when all is said and done this is Blindead continuing forward with their evolution and I for one want to be part of the journey.
----
rekt
12.10.2013 - 01:15
Diverge
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.10.2013 at 18:45

Did not disappoint. I love "direction" the band is taking. It isn't a huge change, as a matter of fact I am not shocked at all, this album is a refinement of their sound. After all they are a PROGRESSIVE doom/sludge/post band. I don't know why fans are getting all uptight. You couldn't see this coming? Each album marks a new territory in their sound. They did take some cues from their fellow countrymen Riverside, not going to deny that but when all is said and done this is Blindead continuing forward with their evolution and I for one want to be part of the journey.

This.
12.10.2013 - 23:03
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.10.2013 at 18:45

I don't know why fans are getting all uptight.

I think that just not everyone likes this direction. Blindead has changed (more or less) - less "stuffy" atmosphere, more expanse and a lot of melody. And I think we should all agree here. As I wrote earlier, is this the right direction or not - it's another dilemma and there is no point arguing about it. This aspect is a matter of personal taste of music and discussion on this would be 100% subjective. But I like the comparison to Riverside, particularly in relation to the progressive elements and "soften the sound" compared to the previous works. Who knows, maybe the presence of "Havoc" as a provide technical support in the "Riverside New Generation Tour 2013" played a some role. Or maybe a gigs with Tides from Nebula.. Probably we will never know. Certain it is, and I think you'll agree with me: "Absence" opens a new chapter in the Blindead's music life.
16.10.2013 - 21:50
Paz
elite
Bought it today. Very nice digipack I must say, but in this field also loses with a monumental 'Affliction XXIX II MXMVI' digibook.
24.10.2013 - 03:59
Rulatore
Doom ?
24.10.2013 - 05:06
Diverge
Written by Rulatore on 24.10.2013 at 03:59

Doom ?

Not at this point, I don't think. It's really an atmospheric, alternative album, with prominent post metal leanings.
26.10.2013 - 21:35
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Rulatore on 24.10.2013 at 03:59

Doom ?

Progresive / Alternative / Post-Rock / Good Because Polish /
27.10.2013 - 03:04
Rulatore
Written by Diverge on 24.10.2013 at 05:06

Not at this point, I don't think. It's really an atmospheric, alternative album, with prominent post metal leanings.

Written by Góral on 26.10.2013 at 21:35

Progresive / Alternative / Post-Rock / Good Because Polish /

Thats what I thought
27.10.2013 - 16:36
Diverge
I just read the lyrics on Encylopaedia Metallum...a reaffirmation of why I have given the album a 9. Extremely poignant and meaningful lyrics that resonate with me very profoundly with every listen. That closing track is simply brilliant, and might be one of the best conclusions to an album seen this year.
I have a feeling a lot of people will miss out on this album unless it gets reframed as "alternative metal" and passed around to the fans of groups like Soen, A Perfect Circle, Ghost Brigade, etc. Blindead isn't really like those bands but I think their fans would definitely dig this album.
04.11.2013 - 13:25
Góral
Combo Breaker
A very interesting statement by Patryk Zwoliński. I'm sorry for the mistakes in the translation, if there are. But I hope that sense is maintained.

Patryk: "I don't feel that we are a metal band, I don't want to be as called. The spectrum of our fans is changing very much. It can be seen at our concerts. And it's practically with every new album. There are more elderly people, people who not belonging to any musical environment or subculture. Our music starts to wander."
source: link

Another indication, which confirmed my belief that the changes are really profound. Nevertheless, I'll be watching with great interest and with flushed cheeks next Blindead's music steps.
04.11.2013 - 14:23
Paz
elite
Written by Góral on 04.11.2013 at 13:25

Patryk: "I don't feel that we are a metal band, I don't want to be as called.

Staff delete their MS profile now!
04.11.2013 - 16:54
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 04.11.2013 at 14:23

Staff delete their MS profile now!

No. And if so, they'd have to delete me too
05.11.2013 - 00:40
Diverge
Haha then you'd have to delete great bands like Rosetta who openly acknowledge they don't want to be metal. That's obviously not a good solution.
07.11.2013 - 16:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Well boys, I've listened to this front to back at least 8 times now. My previous opinion hasn't changed. However, the album does lose me a little bit on tracks C7 and E2. Thankfully the final track is so killer it hides all sins. Still keeping this a 9 because B6,S1 and E5 are so fucking good, best trio of songs on any album I've heard this year.
----
rekt
25.11.2013 - 11:40
Kuroboshi
Very good, but unfortunately it is not on par with their two previous efforts. It seems they removed most of the "crazy" (as in psychologically disturbing) stuff, and made it "cleaner".
10.12.2013 - 23:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
s1 is easily one of the most emotionally intense songs I've heard this year
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.12.2013 - 07:46
Diverge
Written by Darkside Momo on 10.12.2013 at 23:24

s1 is easily one of the most emotionally intense songs I've heard this year

Completely agree. Right beside Hacride's Overcome.
19.12.2013 - 12:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
I'll have to disagree here - I love the latest Hacride but Overcome isn't for me one of the most intense songs, that would be Introversion (Ghosts Of The Modern World and Requiem For A Lullaby ain't bad either )
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.12.2013 - 15:43
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
This is some good stuff. Certainly, not to miss it.

I'll listen to this record again.
19.12.2013 - 17:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.12.2013 at 15:43

This is some good stuff. Certainly, not to miss it.

I'll listen to this record again.

Where have you been? Better late than never Check out their entire discography - One of the best bands around that no one has heard of.
----
rekt
19.12.2013 - 19:06
Diverge
Written by Darkside Momo on 19.12.2013 at 12:22

I'll have to disagree here - I love the latest Hacride but Overcome isn't for me one of the most intense songs, that would be Introversion (Ghosts Of The Modern World and Requiem For A Lullaby ain't bad either )

Fair selection, my friend. Introversion is pretty rad, but the ending of Overcome is just unreal.

Anyway, the ending of this album is actually amazing. I'm trying to think of a better ending to an album this year, and I don't think another one comes to mind.

Hits total: 12893 | This month: 25