Metal Storm logo
Jazz & metal

Original post

Posted by , 05.01.2007 - 18:32
Hello fellow stormers!

Here we can discuss all sorts of jazz metal bands. Hopefully this thread will be flooded with loads of excellent recommendations.

If you recommend or mention a band it be very nice if you'd add a description, be it short or long doesn't matter as it gives a hint what is the music like as the genre is very wide ranging from jazz death to more mellow bands(that is also the reason the thread wasn't created either in melodic or extreme metal forum)

Hope you have lots of fun discovering new bands
04.03.2007 - 16:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, I am having a serious question now, as opposed to my Praxis comment earlier.

I would like to know what the difference between Jazz and Fusion is? I got this band called MCM from Markku and I totally dig it, so I wanted to check out some more. Would this be the right thread?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.03.2007 - 17:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Fusion = jazz mixed with rock elements. Actually, the term technically means mixing any two musical styles together but it is most commonly used to describe jazz mixed with rock.
04.03.2007 - 17:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, thank you very much.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.03.2007 - 20:28
Markku
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 04.03.2007 at 17:09

Fusion = jazz mixed with rock elements. Actually, the term technically means mixing any two musical styles together but it is most commonly used to describe jazz mixed with rock.

Also, jazz being mixed with other genres aswell.
07.03.2007 - 01:47
Markku
Account deleted
This the best stuff I've heard in weeks, jazz influenced metal with heavy polyrhythmic riffs
http://www.myspace.com/actualtime
12.03.2007 - 12:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Guest on 07.03.2007 at 01:47

This the best stuff I've heard in weeks, jazz influenced metal with heavy polyrhythmic riffs
http://www.myspace.com/actualtime

thanks for that anymore similar stuff?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.03.2007 - 15:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You shood try Czech band Dark Gamballe ist wierd metal
MA says Death metal with folk, jazz and ethno influences but I had lsiten it and well IMO ist wierd miux between a lot of genres and jazz too
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.03.2007 - 15:23
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 16.03.2007 at 15:05

MA says Death metal with folk, jazz and ethno influences but I had lsiten it and well IMO ist wierd miux between a lot of genres and jazz too

The descriptions in MA are often crap, so I would reccomend not to take them too seriously.
16.03.2007 - 15:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.03.2007 at 15:23

Written by Bad English on 16.03.2007 at 15:05

The descriptions in MA are often crap, so I would reccomend not to take them too seriously.

I know, but i had hear Dark Gambella so, etleast there are jazz elements and and bout Dark Gambella ist hard describe that genre
----

apos;'
[image]
19.03.2007 - 23:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hey Milos Dodo Dolozal he are awsoem Czech Guitarrist who start whit heavy metal band Vitacit but tehn in 1992 start solo project

Milos Dogo Dolozal(techivaly ist not posible spell his name here)
Ok I know its not instrumentals but you shood try this ''Dodo hraje Hendrixe'' Dodo play hendrix, he translate his song in czceh languega I realy love this songs
''Vítr volá Mary'' (Vind Cries Mary)
''Zámek snù a kouzel'' IMO its Spanish Castel Magic

But his instrumental album are ''Nejvy??í vibrace'' and its werry good whit hard rock/jazz influencies
----

apos;'
[image]
24.03.2007 - 10:17
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Well, Jazz/rock fusion is a type of jazz in which musicians attempt to expand the boundaries of jazz by incorporating elements from rock and other musical styles as metal, which is visibly clear nowadays with the appearances of bands like Cynic, Gordian Knot, Hacride, Syrinx, Aghora, Aeon Spoke, Alarum and many others. Actually, I can't leave this style behind me without listening to it everyday, and if you are into it, you can see that this style combines the attitude and energy of rock with the harmonic sophistication and improvisational freedom of jazz to give a nectar of sweet authenticity.

I recommend it to all of you, confident that It will please you...
24.03.2007 - 23:01
Curtis the Bum
Account deleted
good jazz metal:

Atheist
Cynic
(later) Cryptopsy
Nuclear Rabbit
25.03.2007 - 18:00
Revenant
Account deleted
My blakc metal band did a jam with a fantastic saxophonist who is heavily into free/angry music the other week, it sounded totaly insane. If we do it again and record it I'll post.
11.04.2007 - 03:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Opeth-Still life
That entire album uses alot of jazzy sounding elements in it.

another band would be Cryptopsy, songs like 'Keeping the Cadaver dogs busy' which has a jazz intro made me notice how alot of cryptopsy stuff has jazz elements, even the heavy parts, you just got know where/how to look for it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.05.2007 - 14:58
Markku
Account deleted
Finally managed to check out Planet X's first album Universe(2000), thats some pretty solid metal fusion. Reccommended
05.05.2007 - 19:22
tip,sleeve
Account deleted
well I see here a relly interesting subject first of all I consider the Metal/jazz fusion as the most interesting
musical inventionIam playin that kind of stuff with my band actually it is some kind of brutal and jazz that stuff really kick ass!! I discovered it with necrophagist many persons will probably say that there is no jazz in necrophagist's stuff I think that yes ! even if it is not using clean guitar sounds it remains a metamorphose of turkish jazz, I also listen to sleep terror, continuo renacer trepalium or farmacon as well in wich jazz is much more evident!
17.09.2007 - 15:18
Too many fail.

I personally think the label "jazz metal" is slapped onto Cynic and Atheist very loosely. Just because Atheist wrote one 2 minute Bossanovaish piece doesn't make them jazzy. Killer bands nevertheless
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
18.09.2007 - 12:59
iaberis
Advice Troll
I don't know if it's been discussed before, but a great band mixing jazz and blues music with the death metal music, is Subterranean Masquerade.
Check their myspace too http://www.myspace.com/subterraneanmasquerade
----
Bitch! Please
21.09.2007 - 05:47
Markku
Account deleted
A very nice fusion band, definately worth checking out: Co-Conspirator
22.09.2007 - 20:08
iaberis
Advice Troll
Also, another great band is a Greek one playing progressive metal mixed with latin, jazz and ethnic! A great mix.
The band is rather unknown and that's a shame cause they are amazing. If you can, find their first album "Excerpts..." because it's a masterpiece! I don't know about their other releases, but this album is amazing!
Check the band http://www.fragilevastness.com
----
Bitch! Please
26.09.2007 - 18:22
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 17.09.2007 at 15:18

I personally think the label "jazz metal" is slapped onto Cynic and Atheist very loosely. Just because Atheist wrote one 2 minute Bossanovaish piece doesn't make them jazzy. Killer bands nevertheless

Cynic is heavily jazzy in some sections though...textures...one of my favourite tunes...is mostly made of jazz sections.
26.09.2007 - 20:20
Too many fail.

Written by Guest on 26.09.2007 at 18:22

Cynic is heavily jazzy in some sections though...textures...one of my favourite tunes...is mostly made of jazz sections.

Lol what kind of jazz do you listen to?
Seriously though, this is my point exactly, just because the song has clean reverby guitar parts and some interval harmonies does not make it jazz but a lot of people seem to disagree. Im listening to it right now and I hear NO jazz whatsoever. even though you could start arguing that jazz is such a wide genre that cynic could be classified as jazzy, I still wouldn't say so.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
26.09.2007 - 20:48
Damnated
Churchburner
check out Yakuza. Experimental/Prog with massive jazz influences. http://www.myspace.com/yakuza
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.09.2007 - 17:52
Kharn
Account deleted
Written by Too many fail. on 26.09.2007 at 20:20

Written by Guest on 26.09.2007 at 18:22

Lol what kind of jazz do you listen to?
Seriously though, this is my point exactly, just because the song has clean reverby guitar parts and some interval harmonies does not make it jazz but a lot of people seem to disagree. Im listening to it right now and I hear NO jazz whatsoever. even though you could start arguing that jazz is such a wide genre that cynic could be classified as jazzy, I still wouldn't say so.

Well that would be down to your own personal opinion. not just the clean sections sound jazzy. some of the riffs sound very jazzy, just cause it's fast or has some distorion on it dosent take that away from it. that's my opinion anyway.
30.09.2007 - 19:52
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Behold... The Arctopus
http://www.myspace.com/beholdthearctopus

Apparently Jordan Rudess does a guest appearance on the album.
02.10.2007 - 06:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 26.09.2007 at 20:48

check out Yakuza. Experimental/Prog with massive jazz influences. http://www.myspace.com/yakuza

I love this band! The sax player rocks out so well with the hardcore influence in this band...very nicely done...
17.10.2007 - 23:58
Markku
Account deleted
As much i have heard Candiria, they have some fusion bits mingling with the rap vs metal outfit. Good music if you are able to tolerate the occasional rap vocals and hip hop beat.

http://www.myspace.com/candiria
18.10.2007 - 00:09
ylside

I forgot to mention Dark Hall. Awesome jazz project with a certain metal/rock feeling due to the influence of it's member(s).

All tracks available at : http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/darkhall/index.html
09.01.2009 - 09:19
Eureka

I'd have to recommend Lye by Mistake to anyone who's into Jazz.
Well, depending on what sort of noise you can take. They mix some sort of Mathcore with Jazz to create this beautifully chaotic blend of sound.

More in reference to their debut album, now it seems as if they're headed in a more Progressive Metal sort of direction.

http://www.myspace.com/lyebymistake

Money Eating Mary is the only new material up.
09.01.2009 - 14:25
baldur

I would like to recommend you Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, i cant tell you what genre it is but there are definitely jazz influences in it.
frederik thordendal on guitar
tomas haake does some of the vocals
Morten Agren plays drums

check out missing time out of the album sol niger within v.3.33!