Metal Storm logo
Today is The Day

06.01.2007 - 07:26
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i really cant put this band into words...they're just too fucked up to describe other than they come up with some of the most insane and insteresting shit...i really got into this band after hearing Willpower....and i was hooked...Steve Austin is a very interesting frontman....and i'm even feeling his new Side Band Taipan...well i suck ass at intros....so hit this thread up if you're into these guys
06.01.2007 - 07:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
yeah, these dudes are very creative. I used to have one of their albums...uhh the one with the devilish dude on it...I forget the name. However, I just found out that Derek Roddy (ex Hate Eternal) will play drums on their next album that is due this year, and I can't wait.
06.01.2007 - 11:40
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 06.01.2007 at 07:38

yeah, these dudes are very creative. I used to have one of their albums...uhh the one with the devilish dude on it...I forget the name. However, I just found out that Derek Roddy (ex Hate Eternal) will play drums on their next album that is due this year, and I can't wait.

the album you speak of is "in the eyes of god" and thats a very good album indeed...yeah i'm also very excited about Axis of eden" coming out,i didnt know the dude from Hate Eternal was gonna be drumming though...shit man TITD can't keep a drummer if their life depended on it
11.01.2007 - 13:27
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I have "Sadness Will Prevail" and something else by this band, and they're fucking incredible. Their music makes my skin crawl. A very awesome band indeed.
----
11.01.2007 - 15:42
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i downloaded a few tracks which were pretty good but haven't got round to buying any yet. someone trade me their albums.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
06.02.2007 - 03:51
Zombie, M.D.

Theyre probably the most negative hateful band I have heard. If you can sit through the entire 2.5+ hours of Sadness Will Prevail, youre a trooper. Its the kind of stuff that makes you want to take a shower and scrub your skin with steel wool.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
06.02.2007 - 05:04
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 06.02.2007 at 03:51

Theyre probably the most negative hateful band I have heard. If you can sit through the entire 2.5+ hours of Sadness Will Prevail, youre a trooper. Its the kind of stuff that makes you want to take a shower and scrub your skin with steel wool.

i'll drink to that...."Willpower" seems to have that effect on me as well..The Song "Nothing to Lose" Sends Chills down my Spine
06.02.2007 - 12:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 06.02.2007 at 05:04

i'll drink to that...."Willpower" seems to have that effect on me as well..The Song "Nothing to Lose" Sends Chills down my Spine

Totally agree with you two. I still haven't managed to sit through the ENTIRE Sadness Will Prevail in one listen. The farthest I got in one sitting was halfway through cd2. I was in such a state after that that I just HAD to listen to some Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius or else I would have gone out and killed random by-passers. I don't believe that listening to music can make you go out and kill random people but Sadness Will Prevail is the exception to the rule.
SWP is the most terrifying haunting piece of music ever set to disc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2007 - 07:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The new album is about to come out and I can't wait. It'll be interesting to hear how Derek Roddy adapts to their style.
16.03.2008 - 03:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm well I finally listened to Axis of Eden and while it's a good album, it's less edgy and experimental than the ones before. Derek Roddy didn't really impress me much either; the other dude they had is better suited to their style.

I don't think Steve has anything to be mad about anymore.

BTW, you can stream the entire album on their last.fm page.
16.03.2008 - 06:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
What the fuck is artcore?? I hate these pretentiuous classifications... some weeks ago I saw an album of this type of music labeled as "post-music"... wtf!
15.01.2009 - 16:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I've known this band for a long time, at least by name, and I've seen (part of) their set at Hellfest. Liked the incredible brutality, but it didn't linger. I should probably wrap my grubby hands around Sadness Will Prevail sometime soon though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.01.2009 - 00:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Temple of the Morning Star is still my favorite, and the liner notes in the booklet are pretty interesting.
01.11.2009 - 02:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Goddammit I still don't own anything by this band. I'm broke right now but I'm going to make a point of buying some shit by these guys when my paycheck comes in.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.11.2009 - 09:25
Slayer666

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2007 at 12:00

Totally agree with you two. I still haven't managed to sit through the ENTIRE Sadness Will Prevail in one listen. The farthest I got in one sitting was halfway through cd2. I was in such a state after that that I just HAD to listen to some Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius or else I would have gone out and killed random by-passers. I don't believe that listening to music can make you go out and kill random people but Sadness Will Prevail is the exception to the rule.

Wow, really?! That sounds just what I'm looking for. Can you somehow describe what is it like? Compare them to some other band, if possible.
02.11.2009 - 07:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Slayer666 on 01.11.2009 at 09:25

Wow, really?! That sounds just what I'm looking for. Can you somehow describe what is it like? Compare them to some other band, if possible.

or you could just check them out at lastfm or even youtube. nowadays seems like lots of folks rip albums and post 'em on youtube with just the cover art as the video. boring, i guess, but an easy enough way to check out a band.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.11.2009 - 19:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 02.11.2009 at 07:31

seems like lots of folks rip albums and post 'em on youtube with just the cover art as the video. boring, i guess, but an easy enough way to check out a band.

Hey, don't be mad at them, I have to thank those people because that way helped me to check out Streetcleaner.
Thanks to those videos now I'm waiting with no patience at all to my copy [with the bonus tracks] to hit my door this week or the next

And about the band, from what I've heard it sounds pretty good, I still have to listen to more stuff but it seems like something I should like.

2,5 hours?! Holy shit man... But I just saw that the website I use to get cds from have Sadness Will Prevail togather with a live cd called "Live Till You Die"... seems like the cd I should start with.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.11.2009 - 19:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.11.2009 at 19:34

seems like lots of folks rip albums and post 'em on youtube with just the cover art as the video. boring, i guess, but an easy enough way to check out a band.

Hey, don't be mad at them, I have to thank those people because that way helped me to check out Streetcleaner.
Thanks to those videos now I'm waiting with no patience at all to my copy [with the bonus tracks] to hit my door this week or the next

And about the band, from what I've heard it sounds pretty good, I still have to listen to more stuff but it seems like something I should like.

2,5 hours?! Holy shit man... But I just saw that the website I use to get cds from have Sadness Will Prevail togather with a live cd called "Live Till You Die"... seems like the cd I should start with.

oh, i am not mad at them at all. i appreciate the opportunity to check something out, even if the video is just cover art. beats most of the random crap people try to make.

my favorite youtube clip (offtopic) was someone put "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus on a record player and played it while the video showed the record playing with the album cover leaning against the wall immediately behind the record player. very spartan/minimalist clip to accompany the music that was fitting and enjoyable.

on topicness... just wanted to point out this option as both youtube and lastfm are good, easy resources to check out most bands. "teach a man to fish" as the saying goes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.11.2009 - 21:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 02.11.2009 at 19:54

on topicness... just wanted to point out this option as both youtube and lastfm are good, easy resources to check out most bands. "teach a man to fish" as the saying goes.

Second time in a row I misunderstand a staff member in less than 5 minutes.
I understand what you mean... I remember I saw a video with only the vinyl moving, but the music was good and it was kinda cool just watching the vinyl moving all the time.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2009 - 06:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.11.2009 at 19:34

eh I think the best albums to start with are Temple of the Morning Star and Willpower... maybe In the Eyes of God and Sadness Will Prevail next. Check their last.fm site to see if they're still streaming their albums.
04.11.2009 - 19:43
Slayer666

Written by Slayer666 on 01.11.2009 at 09:25

or you could just check them out at lastfm or even youtube. nowadays seems like lots of folks rip albums and post 'em on youtube with just the cover art as the video. boring, i guess, but an easy enough way to check out a band.

Yeah, I did so, and to tell you the truth, I was dissapointed. Not as nearly haunting or disturbing as I expected. Maybe I expect too much, but when Marcel said that it was the most haunting piece of music ever, I thought I will hear so much more.
19.07.2013 - 09:39
mz

I tried to get into them by SWP a while ago and I even could not stand that album for 5 minutes. 2.5 hour of this fucked up extreme noise? Really?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.07.2013 - 11:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 19.07.2013 at 09:39

I tried to get into them by SWP a while ago and I even could not stand that album for 5 minutes. 2.5 hour of this fucked up extreme noise? Really?

I love Sadness Will Prevail, but only managed it in one go once All other times I had to split up listening to it into at least four separate listening sessions. Imo it is one of the hardest albums to listen to.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2013 - 12:16
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2013 at 11:34

I love Sadness Will Prevail, but only managed it in one go once All other times I had to split up listening to it into at least four separate listening sessions. Imo it is one of the hardest albums to listen to.

Cutting my own dick would be more pleasant than listening to that album in one setting. It really made stuff like gnaw their tongues and skullfolwer sound like a fun ride
----
19.07.2013 - 12:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 19.07.2013 at 12:16

Cutting my own dick would be more pleasant than listening to that album in one setting. It really made stuff like gnaw their tongues and skullfolwer sound like a fun ride

yep
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2013 - 12:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by mz on 19.07.2013 at 09:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2013 at 11:34

Bah... Two days ago I listened to it at great volume on headset, completely alone, at night and all lights out. But I can't blame either of you because I DID feel like SHIT the rest of the night (Listened to it from midnight to 2:30). I remember the screams at the end of the first cd somehow were the breaking point afterwards I just felt so numb. Definitely one of the most extreme soundtracks of sickness and desperation ever recorded and they are also among the most intense bands I've ever seen in my life (probably the most intense atm). They were supposed to play for an hour at Roadburn but ended after 40 minutes. I saw no one complaining as everyone looked completely exhausted and not wanting any more of that mayhem.

Also... dude, after 15-30 minutes or so the first album gets pretty fucked up with the whole weird piano and Tubular bells here and there. *shudders*
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2013 - 12:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Just in case someone wants to give it a try.

20.07.2013 - 17:28
mz

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2013 at 12:53

Bah... Two days ago I listened to it at great volume on headset, completely alone, at night and all lights out. But I can't blame either of you because I DID feel like SHIT the rest of the night (Listened to it from midnight to 2:30). I remember the screams at the end of the first cd somehow were the breaking point afterwards I just felt so numb. Definitely one of the most extreme soundtracks of sickness and desperation ever recorded and they are also among the most intense bands I've ever seen in my life (probably the most intense atm). They were supposed to play for an hour at Roadburn but ended after 40 minutes. I saw no one complaining as everyone looked completely exhausted and not wanting any more of that mayhem.

Also... dude, after 15-30 minutes or so the first album gets pretty fucked up with the whole weird piano and Tubular bells here and there. *shudders*

I will for sure come back to this album in the future, maybe 2-3 months (that's what I do when I am facing an album which is too alienated to my ears and I am not much used to its style). At least it will make me get accustomed to noise genre a little more
btw, I did not received notification when you quoted me and Marcel. Is that what happens when sb quotes multiple persons?
----
20.07.2013 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by mz on 20.07.2013 at 17:28

I will for sure come back to this album in the future, maybe 2-3 months (that's what I do when I am facing an album which is too alienated to my ears and I am not much used to its style)
btw, I did not received notification when you quoted me and Marcel. Is that what happens when sb quotes multiple persons?

No, that usually doesn't happen. It probably was some random bug.
Now, if you want I can give you some insight on how to approach TITD. I own 6 out of 9 of their full lengths (haven't heard the first two and Axis Of Eden) and even if I loved their style from the beginning I still believe they are one of the hardest bands to get into because there's a lot going on.

Today Is The Day and Temple Of The Morning Star are pretty similar in terms of the sound itself. Both (and pretty much everything else) is less intense than Sadness Will Prevail but still pretty sick shit. The selftitled is quite short (36 mins) so I'd say it's a great way to start getting into their sound. It ain't their best but definitely a good "practice album" for the style. Temple is around 20 mins longer but it's a bit more varied in moods although I'd say it's more creepy as well (The song "Clutch is just insane, thank god it's barely 1 minute) but then there are some surprisingly calm and soothing sections hidden here and there.

Then we continue with In The Eyes Of God which is in fact the first album I've heard by TITD. It might be less "creepy" than Temple but it's definitely waaaay more agressive and intense but also with some places where you can breath so to speak. Definitely a more ambitious and impressive songwriting as well. Covering a lot more of different sounds and textures. One of my favorite moments of the band in general is the second half of "Possession". Just a one-minute song but damn the 40 second mark has some of the best use of dissonance I've heard in extreme music. I'd say this is the album to hear as the second last, right before Sadness Will Prevail as it goes further into the intensity, atmosphere and ambitious songwriting SWP is known for.

Kiss The Pig is 36 mins. A short album and thank god for that because here it feels like they just wanted to go pure violence. Most of the album is very fast-pace and quite harsh on the ears (man, the beginning of the album is a blast)... and out of nowhere comes the 12 min last track which is a nice change (while still being quite violent). Since I haven't heard the next one I jump to their latest: Pain Is A Warning is the odd album. They really experimented here since it's way off from what you'd expect from them. This is all good though but it also means that it's NOT the place to start. It's a very calm album by comparison so you might be interested to hear how they manage to play without tearing you apart. It definitely has an "alternative metal" vibe going on and sometimes you can hear some nice groove here and there like if they wanted to go with a "cool vibe". Worth mentioning are the tracks "Remember To Forget" and "This is You" which are almost beautiful with their melodies and soft singing.

TL,DR would be: Check their selftitled and Temple Of The Morning Star first (doesn't really matter which order though), then work your ways with In The Eyes Of God and Kiss The Pig and finally Sadness Will Prevail. Pain Is A Warning can you check out at any time though considering the changes of style!

Enjoy! As you may notice, they are by now one of my favorite bands of all time so I always like to revisit them and talk about their unique music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.07.2013 - 20:44
mz

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.07.2013 at 18:45

comment

wow, totally did not expected this kind and generous response. You are quiet a good teacher and I will for sure take some math classes with you when I visit Sweden Will follow your instructions as soon as I download the mentioned albums. I happened to try to get into one of the most intense and extreme albums of all time apparently without being much familiar with its style . So no surprise that I failed.
Again, thank you very much
----