01. Death In Fire
02. The Last With Pagan Blood
03. For The Stabwounds In Our Backs
04. Masters Of War
05. The Sound Of Eight Hooves
06. Bloodshed
07. Versus The World
08. Victorious March

Sweden's melodic death Vikings Amon Amarth is back once again with another melodic blast.

Since the release of "The Crusher" in 2001, Amon Amarth has grown in our metal society, with 2002's "Versus the World" they took even a bigger step, and now it's time for "Fate of Norns" to continue the tale of Sweden's best melodic and hard Death metal band.

All of you that know Amon Amarth know what you have to expect: much melodies, heaviness and good lyrics that's growled out in a good way, and "Fate of Norns" isn't an exception. Everything mentioned is here, and it's impossible not to head-bang with it.

"Fate of Norns" continues where "Versus the World" left us, at least musically, with this majestic sound, perfect production, very well written songs and with a "gaia" that could nearly kill.
But if I shall try to find any bad things about it, I would pick up the very unoriginal word "original", because this is a bit monotonous, of course, and the originality isn't really the strongest part, but what band is really original today?
So even if it's really nothing, that is the only bad side of this album, but it's a side that you can easily look above and really enjoy the album.

And so shall we enter the part of the review that takes care of the songs, I shall prize some, and maybe even kill some (who knows?).

We'll start with the third one actually, it's the title track, and I'll compare it with the title-track from the last album, and by doing that I can say that it have no chance against "Versus the World", because that song is one of the best ever with AA.
But "Fate of Norns" isn't bad; it's just not a "Versus the World".
So then, which is the best song? Well, it's a matter of taste, of course, but personally I holding "Pursuit of Vikings" as my favourite, but I think it might change after some time, because the material is very even, there are no song that really is so much better than another, so this album is holding really high class, higher than many others nowadays.

So in the end I will say just a few words. This album, "Fate of Norns" might be the best MeloDeath release of the year. It totally crushes the latest In Flames by miles, and other bands can't really come up in the same class that Amon Amarth does, this IS how melodic Death shall sound like.

Check Out: The entire album, "Fate of Norns", it's going to fight about the title "Death Metal Album of the Year", without doubts.

Written by Malcolm | 05.10.2004

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 197 users
06.01.2007 - 15:28
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
this album was also a good one, but I like their old style
good review,
----
that which shines without names and forms...
10.04.2009 - 08:25
Rating: 6
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
''"Fate of Norns" continues where "Versus the World" left us, at least musically, with this majestic sound, perfect production, very well written songs and with a "gaia" that could nearly kill.''

I dont know... can't see much similarity between Versus the World and this album. ''Fate of Norns'' is far catchier and appealing in a certain way.
''Persuit of Vikings'' and ''Once Sealed in blood'' are different from anything heard before in Amon Amarth.

The lyrics are the same ''four words sentences and four sentences for paragraph'' style... that never vary much from album to album.

By far the most easy-to-listen Amon Amarth work, and that's not a bad thing, the album is really good, some catchy ballads attracted a whole new public of fans to the band.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.06.2009 - 16:38
Rating: 7
laucian

So then, which is the best song? Well, it's a matter of taste, of course, but personally I holding "Pursuit of Vikings" as my favourite

i completely agree on that one..
16.10.2011 - 00:29
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
The Song "Fate Of Norns" is lots, lots, lots better than "Versus The World". The previously album was too melodic, this one is both melodic and brutal. I think that the way AA sound today is because of this album.

Best track: Where Death Seens To Dwell. Just loves how it start
23.11.2011 - 02:09
Rating: 9
Coolingsrock

Written by Guest on 16.10.2011 at 00:29

The Song "Fate Of Norns" is lots, lots, lots better than "Versus The World". The previously album was too melodic, this one is both melodic and brutal. I think that the way AA sound today is because of this album.

Best track: Where Death Seens To Dwell. Just loves how it start

Versus the world (the song) is still pretty brutal
06.12.2015 - 23:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paganblood on 06.01.2007 at 15:28

this album was also a good one, but I like their old style
good review,

band never dramatically changed style att all, just little softer and I like this a lot more as older albums
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.07.2021 - 00:16
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Another great release from AA.

Hits total: 8925 | This month: 6