01. Raise The Flag [live]
02. Born To Kill [live]
03. Diamond In The Rough [live]
04. Chewin' The Fat [live]
05. Blackjack [live]
06. Bottom Of The Well [live]
07. Girls In Black [live]
08. No Way But The Hard Way [live]

It goes without saying that Airbourne is essentially a carbon copy of AC/DC, a redundancy which needs no explaining. They made it work for two albums, though, and they have a decent shot at continuing the trend.

Even with the overwhelming AC/DC hero worship, it was still very cool to hear a revitalized, youthful aggression re-injected into that classic sound on Runnin' Wild and, to a lesser extent, No Guts. No Glory. Black Dog Barking is a mixed bag. The explosive enthusiasm still bleeds through here and there, and the songwriting follows the same basic concept. Yet overall, the album has a much more polished sound that drains out the grit and rawness that made Runnin' Wild a worthy indulgence. In fact, in many places the sound toes the thin line between bold, anthem-style hard rock and '80s glam sing-along. After the first three songs, I thought that Airbourne was turning into Skid Row or Mötley Crüe. Maybe the similarity is not THAT strong, but they were headed for an unwelcome commercialized catchiness a la Def Leppard or Whitesnake.

Fortunately, "Back In The Game" soon comes along to save the day. "Back In The Game" is a perfect song. I was surprised to find it on this album, but there is no getting around how wonderful it is. Everything that follows is much more enjoyable, especially the killer tracks "Live It Up" and "Cradle To The Grave." Joel O'Keefe has improved his singing in the past couple of years; he soars higher, screams louder, and sounds much more comfortable with his voice. The rest of the details follow as usual. The album thunders and plods and speeds with its bluesy influences and loud, unapologetic guitars, just like always.

Black Dog Barking satisfies enough for Airbourne to be pleased with it. I must have listened to it three or four times over the course of writing this review, and while it becomes more enjoyable with each listen, I still can't tell half the songs apart. But were you really expecting any less? Repetitive does not always mean bad, to which this album can attest.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 10.11.2013 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 3   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 186 users
10.11.2013 - 21:01
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Airbourne to me is like Slash's new abortion of a band. An attempt to cash in on something good that happened thirty years ago when it was actually cool.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.11.2013 - 04:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.11.2013 at 21:01

Airbourne to me is like Slash's new abortion of a band. An attempt to cash in on something good that happened thirty years ago when it was actually cool.

Funny how you try and act all tr00, nekro, kvlt, grim, frostbitten and yet you like stuff which is trendy and hip and all yet was old when they started it like Gayheaven.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2013 - 04:49
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2013 at 04:31

Funny how you try and act all tr00, nekro, kvlt, grim, frostbitten and yet you like stuff which is trendy and hip and all yet was old when they started it like Gayheaven.

It's funny how YOU call me on trying to be Tr00 etc.

I couldn't careless about any scene or whatever, this is just watered down ac/dc worship. Name the band Deafheaven is ripping off for me, because I'd sure love to hear them.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 8420 | This month: 8