09. Reverence
10. Omen
11. Canvas Of Life
12. Natural Corruption
13. The Quantum Enigma

Top 20 albums of 2014: 17

Additional info
Produced by Joost van den Broek.
Engineered by Joost van den Broek, Maarten de Peijper, and Jos Driessen.
Mixed by Jacob Hansen.
Mastered by Darius van Helfteren.
Cover art and photography by Tonnie Simons & Stefan Heilemann.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Epica are back with a bang on their sixth studio release, the symphonic metal powerhouse abolishing any doubts that they can maintain their powerful presence within the genre.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2014 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
AngelofDeth
Rating:
In many ways, The Quantum Enigma is the obvious successor to 2009's much cherished Design Your Universe. And by that I mean bombastic and over the top symphonics melded with Mark's signature heavy riffing and growls, with Simone's operatic vocals making a surprising, yet welcomed, return. Most praiseworthy of all, while it follows in the footsteps of an obvious predecessor, this album still manages to somehow feel new, as the symphonics explore untamed territories. There is no shortage of original riffs and the vocals are - wait, what? Did Elyze Ryd from Amaranthe replace Simone? No, no she didn't. But she may as well have, meaning that this is also Epica's most 'poppy' effort to date.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2014 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
After the previous album, which was good but not as memorable as the earlier albums, bland and lacking most signature Epica elements, Epica release The Quantum Enigma, and with it they showed us that Epica is back stronger than ever!

A lot of people said that Simone's vocals are growing weak and that she was the weakest part of the band (with which I was hardly disagreeing even then), but this album is for sure highlight of her career. Strong falsettos are back, vocal harmonies arranged like never before (for example in "The Essence of Silence", "Unchain Utopia" and "Natural Corruption") and a lot more.

Read more ››
published 29.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 52 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 126   Visited by: 1445 users
03.05.2014 - 21:20
Rating: 5
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 21:07

But still, you say Epica prefers to sell more, tell me about any band who does not prefer to sell and make a living?

The thing is that some artists don't sacrifice their potentials for the sake of attracting a wider range of listener population who can get easily satisfied with anything written down as music.
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 21:24
angel.
Evil Butterfly
No, Rasa I don't really accuse you of anything, who am I to do so, I just love to appreciate real artists who are into creativity, freshness, challenging, trying to make a point about this album which is initially boring but so much praise it already gained why ? Just because it's done by Epica ? or OK maybe it's just the way it is, some easy-to-grasp music had always gained more attention. Then ok peace on !
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 21:34
Rating: 8
Rasa
Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 21:24

No, Rasa I don't really accuse you of anything, who am I to do so, I just love to appreciate real artists who are into creativity, freshness, challenging, trying to make a point about this album which is initially boring but so much praise it already gained why ? Just because it's done by Epica ? or OK maybe it's just the way it is, some easy-to-grasp music had always gained more attention. Then ok peace on !

Look, I'm not a fanatic Epica lover or anything. Although I love their music and symphonic metal in general, I do it with a big chunk of salt as well. I know for so many people it's too cheesy, poppy, over-pretentious or whatever else one can come up with. I also love way more bands than is displayed on my profile, these are just some of my favourites that 'fired' my love for metal. I also understand why people would hate new Lacuna Coil or other more well known bands, but I just don't care. I like what I like. I even love electronic music. So what? Do we have to be bounded buy some genres or underground hipster bands to be 'cool' or what? I hope you can understand that and not hold grudge whenever you will see my name on Metalstorm now.
03.05.2014 - 21:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 21:34

I hope you can understand that and not hold grudge whenever you will see my name on Metalstorm now.

Oh no never ! I'm actually cool with people's taste, like I said I discuss it too seriously, perhaps.
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 21:40
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 20:45

Hahaha, I love catfights.

when it comes to pleasing guys by means of catfaight !! hehe we girls would always disappoint you, as we turn the fight to a friendly chat
----
The Fangirl.
03.05.2014 - 21:43
Rasa
Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 21:40

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 20:45

Hahaha, I love catfights.

when it comes to pleasing guys by means of catfaight !! hehe we girls would always disappoint you, as we turn the fight to a friendly chat

I know right? Not all girls gonna call each other bitches and call it arguments. Because that's the only way I can understand a 'catfight' that you crave so much for.
03.05.2014 - 21:47
Erik M.
Written by CyberSymphony on 03.05.2014 at 21:03

Just finished listening to this album and Im quite disappointed with it. There is a slightly improvement in them music from the last album but not a lot. The one thing that bothers me is Simone's vocals which I really dislike. Needs more listening, but still not all too impressed unfortunately.

I agree, her vocals are way too poppy here. What a shame, since she used to have great vocals. I'm not even going to spin this again. This album annoyed the hell out of me.
03.05.2014 - 21:51
Rating: 6
rockeru101
After two spins I find the album booring except for a very few songs. After a very good album in 2009 it seems Epica lost it's inspiration, the same old recycled sounds and even Simone doesn't sound as great to me as in previous albums except for some parts of a few songs. Maybe it would grow after listening a few more times but it's definetaly not even near as good as previous albums.
03.05.2014 - 21:53
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 21:47

Written by CyberSymphony on 03.05.2014 at 21:03

Just finished listening to this album and Im quite disappointed with it. There is a slightly improvement in them music from the last album but not a lot. The one thing that bothers me is Simone's vocals which I really dislike. Needs more listening, but still not all too impressed unfortunately.

I agree, her vocals are way too poppy here. What a shame, since she used to have great vocals. I'm not even going to spin this again. This album annoyed the hell out of me.

Yeah I agree, she sang great in their first couple of albums, though the music isn't that bad. Its just been done all before and your kinda tired of hearing it. The same with Xandria's new album.
03.05.2014 - 21:55
Erik M.
Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 20:57

Your votes says a lot about your musical taste like how mature, challenging and open it is. It's ok to vote the albums which you only like, but for satan sake ! Who can give 9 to Tristania's previous album 9, Death Magnetic 10 ?! Once by Nightwish 10 and also Imaginaerum by them 9 ?! and Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo 9 ?

Welcome to the world of easily pleased people.
03.05.2014 - 22:00
Erik M.
Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 21:07

tell me about any band who does not prefer to sell and make a living?

Summoning. That duo, Silenius and Protector, live totally normal lives, have normal jobs and just so happen to create awesome epic black metal. Why? Out of pure passion for the music, not for the money. You're right of course that most musicians do want to make a living with their music. but there certainly are exceptions.
03.05.2014 - 22:07
Erik M.
Written by CyberSymphony on 03.05.2014 at 21:53

Yeah I agree, she sang great in their first couple of albums, though the music isn't that bad. Its just been done all before and your kinda tired of hearing it. The same with Xandria's new album.

The music certainly isn't bad by any means, but I also wouldn't call the music interesting or original, but pretty generic overall. So yeah, I agree. It's the same recycled stuff. At least The Phantom Agony offered something original, back in the day when that sort of music wasn't being played to death as it is now.
03.05.2014 - 22:07
Rasa
Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 21:55

Your votes says a lot about your musical taste like how mature, challenging and open it is. It's ok to vote the albums which you only like, but for satan sake ! Who can give 9 to Tristania's previous album 9, Death Magnetic 10 ?! Once by Nightwish 10 and also Imaginaerum by them 9 ?! and Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo 9 ?

Erik, are you done circlejerking or should I wait for some more?
03.05.2014 - 23:44
Rating: 9
annodomini
Written by Rasa on 03.05.2014 at 22:07

Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2014 at 21:55

Erik, are you done circlejerking or should I wait for some more?

Rasa, I just wanted to send you my biggest respect. I'm absolutely with you. In every argument.

Metal community is so conservative, that it can't see further their nose. But yes guys, you are right, that previously it was more fun to discuss, because now you are not listening.
I wish there could another so well developed website with review, ratings, forums and community system like MS, but not for metal, but all music. It would be much easier to discuss, in this case, Epica music with those who like pop, classical or even pop music.

Stop looking if there is or is not metal feeling. It's about music, not a genre.

And yes I also rate jsut those albums that I like. I don't see a point in giving 7 or 6 to someone. If I don't like it, I don't listen. But even more, I could give one more bate to crush me. Sometimes I feel like and album is worth 9 or 8, but I see that others are misvoting it, so I put it 10 on it, so the final rating will equallize to the one I feel is right. And you know why? Because you, yourselves made music on this site dependable only on ratings. You can give 5 or 1 to this album, haters gonna hate, but caravan will move on.

And yes, I also voted 10 for newest Tristania, because it is amazingly written. Yes, maybe its not a metal anymore. But vocal line, chords sequences and instrumentaitions... Man, thats amazing! And finally, so absolute truth about Phantom Agony being pale. Ir had amazing songwriting, but the sound was weak. And now we have heaviest Epica to date. But hey its still going pop.

And I don't even start on argument, that Epica lost it's course.
----
the riddle wants to be...
03.05.2014 - 23:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by annodomini on 03.05.2014 at 23:44

I wish there could another so well developed website with review, ratings, forums and community system like MS, but not for metal, but all music.

Now THAT would be great!

And yes I also rate jsut those albums that I like. I don't see a point in giving 7 or 6 to someone. If I don't like it, I don't listen. But even more, I could give one more bate to crush me.

Well, I myself vote for every album I've listened to (or at least enough of it to build an impression) and vote accordingly, based on my own taste only, and personaly I think there's nothing wrong with it. I mean, whenever you vote for anything you don't count on other people opinions, but only your own, right? And if the other ones are gonna try and bash me because I voted 5 for a "classic" let them be. What can they do? Caps lock me to death? =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.05.2014 - 00:59
Erik M.

Sometimes I feel like and album is worth 9 or 8, but I see that others are misvoting it, so I put it 10 on it, so the final rating will equallize to the one I feel is right. And you know why? Because you, yourselves made music on this site dependable only on ratings. You can give 5 or 1 to this album, haters gonna hate, but caravan will move on.

And yes, I also voted 10 for newest Tristania, because it is amazingly written. Yes, maybe its not a metal anymore. But vocal line, chords sequences and instrumentaitions... Man, thats amazing! And finally, so absolute truth about Phantom Agony being pale. Ir had amazing songwriting, but the sound was weak. And now we have heaviest Epica to date. But hey its still going pop.

Oh my, I can't even begin to point out how hypocritical and wrong you are. Basically you're handing out 10's because you THINK others are misvoting? Simply because others don't have the same opinion as you, they're misvoting? Wow, nice "logic" you got going on there, dude. And let's say they are misvoting, then you're doing the EXACT same thing, so you're just as bad, if not worse. Basically, you're being a vote abuser (that's a fact) because you think others are vote abusers. Furthermore, you said "so I put it 10 on it, so the final rating will equallize to the one I feel is right". Here you're basically saying your opinion = fact, as well as openly admitting to being a vote abuser. Wow congratulations, you have succeeded in baffling me with your illogical "reasoning".
04.05.2014 - 02:40
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by ohmayhem on 04.05.2014 at 01:15

I listened to this stoned out of my mind last night and it took me on the most wonderful journey of my life. listened to it again this morning and it's still just as amazing. I don't get these negative comments at all, really. And about the length, what Epica album after 2005 ISN'T longer than 69 minutes?

Seriously, why the fuck are people complaining about the length, this isn't punk this is metal! For multi-layered metal(Sympho, Melodeath, Power etc.) it's essential to have long running times and IMO It still wasn't even long enough, I'm gonna have to get my hands on all these bonus tracks..

And I agree about it being great, only listened once so far but it blew me away, so much better than Indifferent.

Admittedly, I can understand the 'selling out' argument as the vox are much poppier this time around which so far is my only negative critique of this album but that by no means ruins the whole thing for me. The vox are still well executed and while it's not the style I would prefer at first I think it will grow on me over time(lets hope at least). Also the band seemed quite eager to revert their og style after Requiem received negative attention which could easily be seen as a Marketing move but to be honest I'm glad they're listening to their fans, more bands should do this lol. imo they can sell out all they want if this is what it sounds like.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
04.05.2014 - 10:28
annodomini
Written by Erik M. on 04.05.2014 at 00:59

Sometimes I feel like and album is worth 9 or 8, but I see that others are misvoting it, so I put it 10 on it, so the final rating will equallize to the one I feel is right. And you know why? Because you, yourselves made music on this site dependable only on ratings. You can give 5 or 1 to this album, haters gonna hate, but caravan will move on.

Oh my, I can't even begin to point out how hypocritical and wrong you are. Basically you're handing out 10's because you THINK others are misvoting? Simply because others don't have the same opinion as you, they're misvoting? Wow, nice "logic" you got going on there, dude. And let's say they are misvoting, then you're doing the EXACT same thing, so you're just as bad, if not worse. Basically, you're being a vote abuser (that's a fact) because you think others are vote abusers. Furthermore, you said "so I put it 10 on it, so the final rating will equallize to the one I feel is right". Here you're basically saying your opinion = fact, as well as openly admitting to being a vote abuser. Wow congratulations, you have succeeded in baffling me with your illogical "reasoning".

If you read my comment one more time and more carefully you will notice, that that's what I was intending to do. To piss you off even more. Hate, my dear friends, hate!!!
----
04.05.2014 - 11:28
PocketMetal
Guys guys guys, the answer to every music discussion is: "What of it?"
04.05.2014 - 14:23
Xyanade
Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 17:46

^ With all the flaws were mentioned still he rated this album 9 !

Simply because that's the only shortcoming from this album that I could find.:beer2: Despite all these flaws it is sill a well-made, and I'm enjoying it.
04.05.2014 - 17:59
potatohead
I know that many people will not agree with me, but I am really disappointed with this album. I fear that (to me, at least) their former awesomeness and musicality is deteriorating...
I really don't want to have this opinion, for they've been my favorite band since highschool and I used to listen to them hours at a time, but there it is. I didn't quite understand what the new albums lack compared to the older once, and still I'm struggling to point it out to myself. This is what I managed to discern:

- The songs seem to show less variation than previously. Both within the songs themselves as between different tracks.
- I dislike how Simone's voice has changed. I know her voice wasn't perfect in the earlier albums, but I really really liked it that way. It sounded more powerful and yet somehow innocent. I think it's because she used to sing almost entirely in a higher register, even without an opera sound. I can't stand the wheezy higher register and poppy lower register voices she adapts in most (if not all) of the new songs - they sound forced and unnatural. And though her new opera-voice sounds awesome, I sorely miss her natural higher register voice.
- I noticed that a lot of her solo-vocals are now backed up with a vocal-sound very similar to the sound that I associate with Delain.
- The choirs have changed as well somehow. In my opinion, they don't compliment Simone's voice that well anymore.
- There is too much double bass drum. Or too little variation in rhythm. Or, I don't know.. something, intuitively, seems to be lacking in the drum-section. But it might well be something else. I can't put my finger on it.

I bet there are lots of other factors contributing to my disappointment of this album, but I haven't figured them out yet or forgotten to write them down

The first album to disappoint me was Design your Universe. Requiem for the Indifferent, however, I listened to with more interest and have taken to heart after a couple of plays. This new album though.. I'm not sure if I have the patience to listen to it again. Sadly I'd have loved to love it.

PS. I think their shows have become less enjoyable, too. I've been to several, and the best memory remains that of a small concert given at a local podium sometime after the release of TDC. They totally rocked! Now, it's only a bit of overloud bass and drums, and Simone shouting herself hoarse. I barely could hear the orchestra and choir at their special retrospect concert.

04.05.2014 - 18:03
potatohead
PPS. I sort-of liked one of the songs quite well: Unchain Utopia. I think the prerelease of that song got my hopes up too well.
04.05.2014 - 22:09
MHOE
Quote:

You are a perfect example why I sometimes so dislike metal community. So often people are just elitist whiny brats which are never PLEASED.

This...
04.05.2014 - 23:57
Erik M.
Written by annodomini on 04.05.2014 at 10:28

If you read my comment one more time and more carefully you will notice, that that's what I was intending to do. To piss you off even more. Hate, my dear friends, hate!!!

I guess you should've listened to me when you had the chance, because now BitterCOld nuked your votes as you admitted to vote abuse. Yes, I PM'd him about this since I cannot stand vote abusers in general. I hope you've learned your lesson.
05.05.2014 - 02:37
Rating: 6
raveneffect
Overall good indeed, but nothing special.
05.05.2014 - 04:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Except a few bland songs, this is once again a really good effort. Chemical Insomnia is probably the best track.
05.05.2014 - 09:14
annodomini
Written by Erik M. on 04.05.2014 at 23:57

Written by annodomini on 04.05.2014 at 10:28

I guess you should've listened to me when you had the chance, because now BitterCOld nuked your votes as you admitted to vote abuse. Yes, I PM'd him about this since I cannot stand vote abusers in general. I hope you've learned your lesson.

There's nothing to learn I'm just having good times in trolling the shortmindeds, so that changes nothing, almost every album I voted 9 or 10 have my comment that proves my adoration to it

Back to topic. After listening to 4 of 5 bonus tracks (still missing Memento) I believe they could have made double album, cause those tracks are equally well written as the album itsefl.
----
05.05.2014 - 11:12
PocketMetal
I love the choirs at the end of Reverence, the title-track is probably my favorite song here though. The vocals on Chemical Insomnia are also pretty nice.
05.05.2014 - 16:49
Rating: 10
Vonpire
Written by MHOE on 04.05.2014 at 22:09

Quote:

You are a perfect example why I sometimes so dislike metal community. So often people are just elitist whiny brats which are never PLEASED.

This...

True Story!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
06.05.2014 - 20:45
CyberSymphony
Ollie
After a few listens, I'm liking this album lot more. The music is really great that of typical Epica. Simone's vocals don't completely turn me off but still just not as good as she was in the early albums. Still one of the best symphonic releases this year so far.

Hits total: 40579 | This month: 55