Possessed - Seven Churches upon its release
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2014 - 09:20
mz
Death- TSoP but I guess it's not a death metal record. I'd say death-human.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.02.2014 - 14:41
Paz
Elite
Here in Ploland we lose virginity through Vader
08.02.2014 - 15:35
Silent Jay
I can't remember exactly but it is probably something by Death. I tend to listen to most kinds of Metal so I had a few DM albums knocking about for quite some time but it was likely 'Leprosy' and 'Spiritual Healing' that actually made me go on a DM binge after and really explore the genre further.
08.02.2014 - 16:24
Aristarchos
Although not death metal I would say In Flames Clayman
09.02.2014 - 10:01
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Death's Leprosy I think.
09.02.2014 - 10:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Opeth - Can't remember, probably Ghost Reveries
Death - The Sound of Perserverance
Deicide - To Hell With God (2011 was when I got into more extreme metal so yeah)
Behemoth - Evangelion
Meshuggah - ObZen (I apologize in advance if that one doesn't count)
Amorphis - Skyforger
Be'Lakor - The Frail Tide

Those are the big ones for me
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.02.2014 - 11:03
Dr.Overkill26
Death-Leprosy
Nile-Annihilation of The Wicked
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
09.02.2014 - 14:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Nocturnus' The Key for me actually. Perhaps an odd pick through which to get introduced to the scene, but it set my standards for good death metal high, and it's still one of my absolute favorites of the genre.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.02.2014 - 15:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Edge of Sanity - The Sepctral Sorrows
Littel Cannibal Coprse what was like trade tapes between my friends
a littel some Morbid Angel and Death songs , mainly from music videos from TV... all happened in 90's before internet so but 90% was that EoS album , my 1th ever metal CD i bough
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.02.2014 - 16:49
Pitfiend
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption
Deicide - Legion
Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction
09.02.2014 - 18:42
SelfXPlanetOrE
This Ending - Dead Harvest and Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
09.02.2014 - 18:48
theFIST
Kataklysm - Serenity in Fire

but i didn"t care for Death Metal for quite a while at the beginning
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.02.2014 - 19:43
@gent_-_orange
I remember seeing Morbid Angel on a related videos link on youtube, after clicking it and thinking it was complete shit i kept coming back to it every now and then to see If my opinion would change and eventually started to like it, after that I got heavily into death metal.
09.02.2014 - 21:28
Lit.
Account deleted
Like Marcel, Possessed's Seven Churches was also my first.

And this is without growing up in the 80s, thank you.
14.02.2014 - 20:01
I guess there just was no escaping... growing up in the 70's and early 80's listening to my older brothers' Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath albums. First own album was Kill 'm all, first show at age 13 Venom and Metallica (Aardschokdag 1984, Zwolle, NL) and from there I just wanted it louder and faster and heavier. And for now... counting down to Neurotic Deathfest 2014
Possessed - Seven Churches
Venom - Welcome to Hell
Kreator - Endless Pain
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Obituary - Slowly we Rot
15.02.2014 - 19:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Crashfrequency on 14.02.2014 at 20:01

I guess there just was no escaping... growing up in the 70's and early 80's listening to my older brothers' Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath albums. First own album was Kill 'm all, first show at age 13 Venom and Metallica (Aardschokdag 1984, Zwolle, NL)

My first show was age 15 Mercyful Fate, Trance, Vandenberg, Raven, Accept (Aardschokdag 1983, Den Bosch, NL). Btw, I was also at the 1984 Aardschokdag.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2014 - 03:05
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.02.2014 at 14:52

Nocturnus' The Key for me actually. Perhaps an odd pick through which to get introduced to the scene, but it set my standards for good death metal high, and it's still one of my absolute favorites of the genre.

Love that album. Righteous stuff.

It was Deicide's debut that I listened to first.
16.02.2014 - 14:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Morbid Angel was one of the first metal bands I ever listened to. My sixth grade teacher knew I liked Iron Maiden, so he borrowed me the whole Morbid Angel discography. "Here's some brutal shit for you, kid."

Morbid Angel is today one of my favourite bands, but back then I mostly listened to that classic death metal because it sounded cool. I wasn't really into death metal. I started listening and really liking the genre in my late teenage years or something like that. Going from more easy melodeath stuff to begin searching for heavier death metal. So I guess the melodic death metal bands was what got me into the genre.
----
16.02.2014 - 17:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Started with thrash then moved next door to DM.

First notable DM albums I owned, back in the day were Obituary's Slowly We Rot, Sepultura's Beneath The Remains and Carcass, Symphonies Of Sickness.
----
rekt
16.02.2014 - 17:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.02.2014 at 17:41

Started with thrash then moved next door to DM.

First notable DM albums I owned, back in the day were ... Sepultura's Beneath The Remains...

a pure thrash album one of your first notable DM albums?
Naming Beneath The Remains in this sense is like saying that Slayer - Reign In Blood is a notable DM album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2014 - 17:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2014 at 17:47

a pure thrash album

Is it TOTAL thrash Marcel? I think their is a tint of death metal, the blast beat drumming and often growling vocals. How about if I throw in Entombed - Left Hand Path instead
----
rekt
16.02.2014 - 18:39
@gent_-_orange
I cant recall blast beats in beneath the remains, then again I have not heard it in a while.
16.02.2014 - 21:24
DyingWorld
When I was just getting into metal, I recall seeing Possessed's "Seven Churches" in a guitar magazine and I thought the description seemed cool enough so I ended up ordering the album after only hearing maybe a few low quality samples on Amazon or whatever. Then there was Death's Leprosy, Pestilence's Consuming Impulse, Behemoth's Demigod, Morbid Angel's Covenant, Autopsy's Mental Funeral and Massacre's From Beyond. By Massacre, I was hooked.
19.02.2014 - 20:06
MetalAce
The Eternal
I think. . . it was Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God. Amazing, even today.
20.02.2014 - 01:17
SmokyPeat
Decapitated - Nihility
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
23.02.2014 - 17:31
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.02.2014 at 19:43

Possessed - Seven Churches upon its release

Did you realize how ground-breaking it was going to be already back then? How big was Possessed in 1985? Was it considered to be a new genre from the beginning, or when was death metal started to be thought of as a genre of it's own, and when was the word death metal started to be used for the genre?
24.02.2014 - 09:38
toxx
Supreme being
Decapitated - Nihility
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Deicide - Once upon the Cross

I guess these albums got me into the Death part of the metal genre. I stille listen to them on a regular basis. Never get's old!
26.02.2014 - 01:16
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.02.2014 at 14:52

I've been meaning to check that album/band out for years.

The Sound of Perseverance was probably the very first death metal album that I owned, which seems like a pretty logical introduction to the genre for people of my generation.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
26.02.2014 - 13:05
Ekstasis
First ever DM album I picked up was in 1992 and was Obituary "Slowly We Rot" followed closely by Morbid Angel "Blessed Are The Sick". I remember taking Obituary to my grandparents house to play it as my dad was on night shift and slept through the day - my grandfather put the record on his record player and thought the thing was broken when the music started, I had to convince him it was meant to sound like that.

I didn't really get into DM until s few years back when I added Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy, Death etc to my collection. Love the Portal and Aevangelist style of squally DM at present.