01. The Vampire From Nazareth
02. We, The Gods
03. Pyramid God
04. A Great Mass Of Death
05. Anubis
06. Persepolis
07. Five-Pointed Star

Additional info
Recorded at Devasoundz Studios and Smecky Studios.
Mixed and mastered by Logan Mader.
Orchestral arrangements pre-mixed by Gerard Marino.
Produced by Logan Mader and Septicflesh.
Sound engineered by Fotis Benardo.
Lyrics by Sotiris Vayenas.
Orchestration by Christos Antoniou.
Drum tracking by Steve Venardo.

The orchestra was recorded at Smecky studios in Prague.
Performed by FILMharmanic Orchestra and Children Choir of Prague.
Music contractor and recording manager: Petr Pycha.
Conductor: Adam Klemens.
Sound engineer: Jan Holzner.

Artwork by Seth Siro Anton.

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
Ever had a burger so good it ruined every other burger for you? I have. In fact, I'm a goddam burger connoisseur. Those who have had the pleasure of eating at Kuma's in Chicago or watch How I Met Your Mother know what I am talking about. Well, for many, The Great Mass was that burger. It was just so juicy and flavorful in its mastery of death/goth fusion and amazing symphonics. Three years have passed now, with the fond memories of that burger only growing every day. So it came as little surprise when Septicflesh's latest meaty outing garnered mixed reviews.

Read more ››
published 09.02.2015 | Comments (9)

Found in 63 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 99   Visited by: 1579 users
19.06.2014 - 10:41
Rating: 7
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by s_t_s on 18.06.2014 at 12:36

- Communion : 30% orchestra, 70% death metal (or whatever you call it)
- The Great Mass : 50% orchestra, 50% death metal (my favourite album of SF I think !)
- Titan : 70% orchestra, 30% death metal.

I agree.
19.06.2014 - 11:23
Rating: 10
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Hex_Omega on 19.06.2014 at 10:41

- The Great Mass : 50% orchestra, 50% death metal (my favourite album of SF I think !)

I agree.

Nothing wrong with being 70% orchestra, 30% death metal ... just saying!
19.06.2014 - 11:27
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.06.2014 at 11:23

Nothing wrong with being 0% orchestra, 30% death metal ... just saying!

And 70% of nothing?
19.06.2014 - 11:42
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Hex_Omega on 19.06.2014 at 11:27

And 70% of nothing?

-.- typo!
19.06.2014 - 11:46
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.06.2014 at 11:42

-.- typo!

Anyway, nothing wrong with being 70% orchestra, 30% death metal, it just depends on what you like. For me nothing wrong with 100% orchestra if its good.
19.06.2014 - 11:48
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Hex_Omega on 19.06.2014 at 11:46

Anyway, nothing wrong with being 70% orchestra, 30% death metal, it just depends on what you like. For me nothing wrong with 100% orchestra if its good.

That's exactly my point. We shouldn't dislike that album just because they used to be more death metal in their previous albums!
19.06.2014 - 15:51
Rating: 8
s_t_s

Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.06.2014 at 11:48

Written by Hex_Omega on 19.06.2014 at 11:46

That's exactly my point. We shouldn't dislike that album just because they used to be more death metal in their previous albums!

Agreed but it makes me wonder what direction the band could head for next time. It strongly reminds me of what Fleshgod Apocalypse id doing. I love AGONY, it's just perfect to me. LABYRINTH shows the same choice as TITAN, namely more orchestra up to a point where you're not sure you could remember the track identity. But, as said before, I love this album, and also LABYRINTH, yet my fave band album still remains their previous one
19.06.2014 - 17:22
garmling
Account deleted
Written by s_t_s on 19.06.2014 at 15:51

Agreed but it makes me wonder what direction the band could head for next time. It strongly reminds me of what Fleshgod Apocalypse id doing. I love AGONY, it's just perfect to me. LABYRINTH shows the same choice as TITAN, namely more orchestra up to a point where you're not sure you could remember the track identity. But, as said before, I love this album, and also LABYRINTH, yet my fave band album still remains their previous one

Who cares what direction they will take if it sounds good! The point is, there is no need to dissect it in pieces only to see what part is weaker or better...in this case, symphonies and extreme metal are blended into one IMO exceptional work and that's it. I don't care how much impact on final sound have symphonies or metal parts if it sounds good to me...for example, I still hear old Anathema in their new albums, even if their sound is completely different compared to their early releases...it is called musical expression, the will of artist to explore new ways of composition...well, Septicflesh didn't changed that much, but nonetheless they are exploring other boundaries, finding new ways to expand their sound... For listener genres are the same as the blinkers are for horses...get rid of it and enjoy!
19.06.2014 - 18:37
s_t_s

Written by Guest on 19.06.2014 at 17:22

Who cares what direction they will take if it sounds good! The point is, there is no need to dissect it in pieces only to see what part is weaker or better...in this case, symphonies and extreme metal are blended into one IMO exceptional work and that's it. I don't care how much impact on final sound have symphonies or metal parts if it sounds good to me...for example, I still hear old Anathema in their new albums, even if their sound is completely different compared to their early releases...it is called musical expression, the will of artist to explore new ways of composition...well, Septicflesh didn't changed that much, but nonetheless they are exploring other boundaries, finding new ways to expand their sound... For listener genres are the same as the blinkers are for horses...get rid of it and enjoy!

Don't get wrong, surely I'm not always good at finding the right words but hey I'm French and I can speak English, so don't expect more miracles

Like I said, I love the album, even tho I would clearly fail at a blind test but like LABYRINTH, once I start listening to it, I listen to the very last second. It's a whole and an awesome one, no doubt !

Now, me want the new Dark Fortress album ^^
19.06.2014 - 20:41
Rating: 6
Rulatore

Is this thread for real ?

Even though I like them, this album isn't that good (or good at all, just average). Directionless, over produced. Fillers all over the place.
20.06.2014 - 04:12
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The final bonus track is the most bogus thing I've ever hear written by Septicflesh. 3 and a half minutes of nothing worthy of being considered thoughtful music...
20.06.2014 - 05:24
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt

Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.06.2014 at 11:48

The Great Mass is my favorite album too, but i really like Titan. Those guys are so talented. I also love the album art of Titan, pretty nifty!

LABYRINTH is a great album too but i can't pick my favorite Fleshgod Apocalypse album tbh!
20.06.2014 - 05:28
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I think this album deserves to be the best album of 2014, more than Insomnium's album. Still waiting for Ghost Brigade to release their album. Not expecting much from Novembers Doom, Nachtmystium or Scar Symmetry. Not sure if In Mourning will release their album this year or in 2015.
20.06.2014 - 12:12
raveneffect

Written by BloodJuNkie on 20.06.2014 at 05:28

I think this album deserves to be the best album of 2014, more than Insomnium's album. Still waiting for Ghost Brigade to release their album. Not expecting much from Novembers Doom, Nachtmystium or Scar Symmetry. Not sure if In Mourning will release their album this year or in 2015.

The first 3 times I've listened to it, I got the same feeling, but after that I had to re-listen to the other Album of the Year contenders like Agalloch, Hail Spirit Noir, Triptykon, Insomnium and such and It certainly doesnt hold as much as those. Its a good one, for sure, kind of proves the point that this bunch cant make a bad record.
20.06.2014 - 19:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I feel like I'm the only one who isn't really enjoying it =P
----
loves 小巫
20.06.2014 - 19:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ag Fox on 20.06.2014 at 19:28

Have you read the comments in this thread? You are definitely not the only one.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.06.2014 - 19:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.06.2014 at 19:32

Written by Ag Fox on 20.06.2014 at 19:28

Have you read the comments in this thread? You are definitely not the only one.
yes. Apart from Rulatore, Everyone seems to think it's good or better
----
loves 小巫
20.06.2014 - 19:52
God Alone

Few things kept me interested. It's just a very safe album and their formula is already getting tiresome, for me.

("Burn" is downright terrible.)
21.06.2014 - 01:18
Fearmeister
Account deleted
One of their weaker albums, still good though.
21.06.2014 - 17:03
s_t_s

Written by God Alone on 20.06.2014 at 19:52

Few things kept me interested. It's just a very safe album and their formula is already getting tiresome, for me.

Matter of taste as I really love "Burn"

Btw the edition I recieved contains a second cd with 5 instrumental tracks, reaching 25 of running time. It's a "mix-up" of various orchestral parts heard in the album tracks and even tho it's not awesome as the full album, it really shows that orchestra alone isn't the same thing It's a real combinaison !
22.06.2014 - 09:51
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by God Alone on 20.06.2014 at 19:52

I didn't dig the clean vocals after the 1st listen, now it's one of my favorite tracks in the album!
24.06.2014 - 15:18
Mad Arab666

CD just cane today. Going to give it a listen soon.
Anyone feel that the picture on the on back of the album makes Christos Antoniou look like a klingon or something from battlefield earth.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
25.06.2014 - 05:15
Rsrdaman

Well, this album as come off to be a bit of a disappointment. It has its good parts, but they are too far and few between. I like how Septicflesh incorporates orchestral pieces into their tracks, but many songs have too much of it. They end up making the tracks discordant, and overly chaotic. Songs like "War In Heaven" where they just blast the E string and shout the song title over and over really kills the album.

Imho, things go this way :

s_t_s pretty much nailed it on the head. The sound can go really great together, but when I'm listening to Titan, and get nothing but very fast, chaotic, violins playing in my ear, I wonder if this can even be called Septicflesh anymore, but just a collaboration album with an orchestra. Don't get me wrong, I love classical music and metal alike, but when I want to hear Septicflesh, I actually want to hear Septicflesh.
25.06.2014 - 14:35
s_t_s

Written by Rsrdaman on 25.06.2014 at 05:15

Well, this album as come off to be a bit of a disappointment. It has its good parts, but they are too far and few between. I like how Septicflesh incorporates orchestral pieces into their tracks, but many songs have too much of it. They end up making the tracks discordant, and overly chaotic. Songs like "War In Heaven" where they just blast the E string and shout the song title over and over really kills the album.

s_t_s pretty much nailed it on the head. The sound can go really great together, but when I'm listening to Titan, and get nothing but very fast, chaotic, violins playing in my ear, I wonder if this can even be called Septicflesh anymore, but just a collaboration album with an orchestra. Don't get me wrong, I love classical music and metal alike, but when I want to hear Septicflesh, I actually want to hear Septicflesh.

I love TITAN but I also think Septicflesh has put as much orchestra as could be. More than that would be an orchestra featuring septicflesh I gives me the very same feeling that with LABYRINTH of Fleshgod Apocalypse. I love to hear it from the beginning to the end, yet I'm pretty sure I couldn't name any track (well at least with TITAN I can name several tracks )

Again, I really love TiTAN but THE GREAT MASS is better balance imho. Not to forget that TITAN played live must be quite an odd performance with 30% live show and 70% sampled sound
27.06.2014 - 14:52
Peco-

This album is simply stunning
28.06.2014 - 06:43
Opethian

Still waiting for my copy
29.06.2014 - 00:20
Rating: 9
MetzgerMeister

I must admit that there is quite a lot of orchestra on this album, hence the reason for an entirely separate CD containing only orchestral scores.
Upon first listen I was in shock at how much Septicflesh have changed their sound since I first heard their album Communion. I love how well the orchestra blends with Titan and all the tracks fit very well with one another. Burn has grown on me quite a lot after a couple listens, even though it was my least favorite of the three tracks they released before the official date.
So far, I find Confessions of a Serial Killer to be my least favorite, and that says a lot considering it isn't a terrible track. For most people it will take time to get used to all the orchestra, but I am very happy I bought this album. I have heard nothing like it before and it falls right near the #1 spot so far for 2014 in my opinion.
Good day to all! ImI
30.06.2014 - 23:16
Erik M.

Good album, but it didn't impress me a whole lot. Going to spin it a couple times more to find out if it's a grower or not.
01.07.2014 - 08:00
xen

To be honest, as unlikely as it is I just wish they would do another album like sumerian daemons....
I loved communion and dug the great mass but this just fails to keep me interested for more than 5 minutes..
02.07.2014 - 19:28
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 30.06.2014 at 23:16

Good album, but it didn't impress me a whole lot. Going to spin it a couple times more to find out if it's a grower or not.

It's definitely a grower I would say, I was kinda disappointed on my first listen. Though I prefer their previous albums.

Hits total: 31068 | This month: 28