91 have it
23 want it

01. Turning Ever Towards The Sun
02. Initiation At Neudeg Alm
03. Bridge Of Leaves
04. Celestite Mirror
05. Sleeping Golden Storm

Additional info
Produced by Randall Dunn and Wolves In The Throne Room.

Recorded by Randall Dunn at AVAST and Owl Lodge.
Additional recording by Aaron Weaver at Owl Lodge.
Mixed at AVAST by Randall Dunn.
Mastered by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering Service.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
Wolves In The Throne Room. That name quite clearly means different things to different people. Upon the announcement that the band's fifth album would have no vocals or drums, and instead be more of an instrumental ambient album, a polarization of sorts occurred among the WITTR fanbase. Many were excited about the idea, but a good percent of others lamented the loss of the band's black metal personality that was to come. I happily planted myself in the former camp, and I'm very delighted to say that the Weaver brothers have exceeded my expectations with Celestite.

Read more ››
published 24.06.2014 | Comments (28)

Found in 21 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 68   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 590 users
02.07.2014 - 23:47
Rating: 8
mz

Written by Ilham on 02.07.2014 at 23:42

You must be happy.

from the prospect of music, yes.
But also I realized that most albums I enjoyed a lot this year are from bands that I was familiar with before and loved their sound. They managed to deliver music as good or better that their previous records. Maybe I choose right bands to follow
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.07.2014 - 03:33
Lit.
Account deleted
Man, this is gorgeous. Really soothing my currently troublesome headache as well.
04.07.2014 - 22:24
Rating: 6
Erik M.

Relaxing and soothing, but not much more than that, after a first spin that is. Very nice, but I'm not blown away by any means.
05.07.2014 - 03:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Reminds me of a mix of Neptune Towers and Midnight Odyssey.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.07.2014 - 22:10
Coverkiller

A mention of Tangerine Dream in a conversation about WITTR makes me giddy.

Oh and to marathon all of TD's works would be a musically insane, what....MONTH?

200 albums-ish?
----
www.youtube.com/user/coverkiller - THE best album reviews on youtube!
08.07.2014 - 00:26
mz

What a great surprise this album is. Still not sure if I consider it their best up to now.
----
08.07.2014 - 00:38
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I'M JUST LIKING IT ! And I have no explanation for this love, problem ?
----
The Fangirl.
08.07.2014 - 00:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
As I said in my review, somehow this album feels a lot more "Wolves In The Throne Room" than the previous ones. The black metal to me was never really what the band were about, I mean if you were to take away the ambient elements and nature sounds on albums like Two Hunters or Celestial Lineage, then you'd have just another raw BM band, no? It was those elements in the first place that really gave the band their signature, and since this album seems to have embraced and celebrated them more than ever, I'm loving the hell out of it. Probably my AOTY so far alongside the Sunn O)))/Ulver collab.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.07.2014 - 01:11
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.07.2014 at 00:57
I mean if you were to take away the ambient elements and nature sounds on albums like Two Hunters or Celestial Lineage, then you'd have just another raw BM band, no?

No.

I think you are stretching it too far while also dissing the metal of these wolves. The metal parts alone stand out easily from other kinds of BM except for Weakling which were clearly the main inspiration for WITTR.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2014 - 01:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I tend to agree with Rod. That's like suggesting that WItTR are somehow built on a raw black metal foundation which I don't think is true at all. They had a totally different style, sound and approach from raw black metal, which was the focal point of the band up until Celestial Lineage where the focus shifted a little, and eventually made way for this album. Saying black metal was never what they were about undermines the greatness of their first two records I think, and Celestial Lineage to an extent (I couldn't care about Black Cascade though so I won't even compare).
08.07.2014 - 01:30
Sword_Chant

It's really good for what it is, my only hic with this album is there's hardly any metal.
08.07.2014 - 01:32
chronic-headache

Just got it now, and it's everything I hoped it would be
love it
08.07.2014 - 02:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 08.07.2014 at 01:14

That's like suggesting that WItTR are somehow built on a raw black metal foundation which I don't think is true at all. They had a totally different style, sound and approach from raw black metal, which was the focal point of the band up until Celestial Lineage where the focus shifted a little, and eventually made way for this album. Saying black metal was never what they were about undermines the greatness of their first two records I think.

Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wasn't all that the band were about, so to act as if they can't still retain their identity without the BM (as some people have been implying with this album) is a little on the silly side.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.07.2014 - 02:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.07.2014 at 02:35

Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wasn't all that the band were about, so to act as if they can't still retain their identity without the BM (as some people have been implying with this album) is a little on the silly side.

I don't really see much in the way of stylistic similarity between this and the first 3 albums though. I don't even get the same feelings or atmosphere as them. I'd say they've carved a new identity here. Just shows to me they're adept at doing different things with different styles. I wouldn't say one is more WItTR-ish than the other however as they seem comfortable with both approaches.
08.07.2014 - 09:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Finally listened to it and it's fucking excellent. Goddamn I love WIITR. Also K7 is an idiot....just thought I'd throw my insult in the ring
08.07.2014 - 22:18
Erik M.

And of course Joe, Alex, mz and the likes hand out a 9.

(It's just funny you guys seem to have the exact same taste, or at least rate a lot of albums exactly the same)
09.07.2014 - 04:41
mz

Written by Erik M. on 08.07.2014 at 22:18

And of course Joe, Alex, mz and the likes hand out a 9.

(It's just funny you guys seem to have the exact same taste, or at least rate a lot of albums exactly the same)

If you think that we rate everything in the same way, you should look at the ratings for recent albums: Tombs - Savage Gold, Dirge - Hyperion , Grey Widow - I and Cult Of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान to see how much we disagree in those cases, for example. People have sometimes similar taste, but that does not make them judge music exactly in the same way.
If you know us good enough, it would be clear for you that we three love drone music, and also we all love previous works of this band. I really don't know why it is so striking for you that we share opinion.
----
09.07.2014 - 16:34
Saeed_p

Its just ambient, poor ambient album
if i wanted to hear these kinda music i should have listen ambient/electronic/drone band such as Pjusk
09.07.2014 - 18:18
Lit.
Account deleted
^ Yes. In home country, maybe thees be poor ambient, but in new world, thees great album. It nice and relaxing, perfect music for relaxing after night of wrestling bears naked in snow.
10.07.2014 - 21:38
Erik M.

Written by mz on 09.07.2014 at 04:41

If you think that we rate everything in the same way, you should look at the ratings for recent albums: Tombs - Savage Gold, Dirge - Hyperion , Grey Widow - I and Cult Of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान to see how much we disagree in those cases, for example. People have sometimes similar taste, but that does not make them judge music exactly in the same way.
If you know us good enough, it would be clear for you that we three love drone music, and also we all love previous works of this band. I really don't know why it is so striking for you that we share opinion.

Well, I visited a few album pages in a short time and noticed you three all handed out 9's to those albums (new Esoteric, Infestus, Emptiness and Celestite... maybe even more ). Of course I'm not saying you like the exact same things. Just that your tastes are very similar.
11.07.2014 - 17:55
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 10.07.2014 at 21:38

Well, I visited a few album pages in a short time and noticed you three all handed out 9's to those albums (new Esoteric, Infestus, Emptiness and Celestite... maybe even more ). Of course I'm not saying you like the exact same things. Just that your tastes are very similar.

Similar tastes? Yes. But to expect the three of us to have the exact same opinion on any given album is frankly insulting. I mean have you seen Joe? How dare you associate me with that swine....jkluvyoujoe
11.07.2014 - 17:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 11.07.2014 at 17:55

...that swine

*oink*
11.07.2014 - 23:19
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 11.07.2014 at 17:55

Similar tastes? Yes. But to expect the three of us to have the exact same opinion on any given album is frankly insulting. I mean have you seen Joe? How dare you associate me with that swine....jkluvyoujoe

But have you read what I said? If so, you'll know I never insulted you in that way.
13.07.2014 - 13:45
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer

They can even make ambient
Nice music, thay can evolve this!
14.07.2014 - 08:15
infernaldeath87

One of those rare records of which I highly dislike and do not understand the purpose of the same droning note for about 3/4 of the album. Just my opinion, don't kill me.
15.07.2014 - 19:51
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by infernaldeath87 on 14.07.2014 at 08:15

One of those rare records of which I highly dislike and do not understand the purpose of the same droning note for about 3/4 of the album. Just my opinion, don't kill me.

I will kill you. Just kidding. It's understandable that some previous fans of the band would be disappointed with the change in style on Celestite. It's not a sound for everyone. I however, fucking love it, and probably regard this as my second favorite WITTR album
15.07.2014 - 20:20
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
As usual Pitchfork proves with its' review of Celestite that their writers for metal bands hate it when a band changes styles. Calling this album an "indecisive mess" is pretty dumb to me. It's seems very clear that the band strayed from typical WITTR style for an ambient/drone driven celestial orgasm. The reviewer also compares it to the predecessors the whole time which it clearly is not meant to be. This is probably coming across as fanboy driven annoyance. I do enjoy seeing opposing points of view, even on albums I love, I just think Grayson Currin is horrible at defending and describing his stances on albums
15.07.2014 - 22:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Alex F on 15.07.2014 at 20:20
review of Celestite
I just think Grayson Currin is horrible at defending and describing his stances on albums

Agreed, at least based on that review. It seemed more like "I don't like that these guys changed their style" as opposed to "here is why the band's new style is not good".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.07.2014 - 06:57
infernaldeath87

Quote:
Quote:

I will kill you. Just kidding. It's understandable that some previous fans of the band would be disappointed with the change in style on Celestite. It's not a sound for everyone. I however, fucking love it, and probably regard this as my second favorite WITTR album

Two Hunters and Celestial Lineage are my favorites. I don't know, the ambience thing just seems like it's too overboard, it's such a drastic departure of sound my opinion.
17.07.2014 - 09:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by infernaldeath87 on 17.07.2014 at 06:57
...the ambience thing just seems like it's too overboard, it's such a drastic departure of sound my opinion.

Too overboard? The whole point of the album is ambiance. I'm not arguing that you have to like it or anything, like I get that tastes differ, but you're basically saying you don't like an ambient album because it's too ambient.

Also a little confused about the latter portion of your comment. It's obviously a drastic departure of sound - they said it would be, and set out to create something unlike anything they've released previously. If you weren't keeping up with the information being revealed about this while it was being recorded then I could understand your surprise, but it's not like this was some well-kept secret designed to shock their fans.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 10928 | This month: 26