05. Oceans Of Despair
06. The Slow Ascent

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 55   Visited by: 549 users
06.05.2014 - 01:03
soroush_s8n
This album is fucking amazing i want to cry when i listen to it,Johan Ericson is a genius,great great work with thomas
06.05.2014 - 09:53
annodomini
This made me realise how much I miss Draconian. Nevertheless, Johan made another amazing doom album. Exactly the style, I like. And, wow, Is it really 6 years since the last one?
----
the riddle wants to be...
07.05.2014 - 16:18
Rating: 9
Erik M.
This is fucking awesome. Without a doubt the best doom release of 2014 so far. Having Thomas from Saturnus performing his awesome vocals is a very nice surprise indeed.
07.05.2014 - 16:26
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 07.05.2014 at 16:23

Is this the real life? or is it just fantasy?

Saturnus+Doom:VS ?

I know what you mean. This might end up as my favourite 2014 album. It's really the kind of death doom that I enjoy immensely.
07.05.2014 - 18:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Pretty much on par with the other two Doom:VS albums. If you're a fan of the band I can't imagine you'll be disappointed, I've simply never found quite too much quality in Ericson's songwriting.
Edit: Uh oh, this is on the "Top of 2014" now. Let's see how long it takes Insomnium and Epica fanboys to kick it down a notch
Edit2: The one guy that gave this a 1 also gave Insomnium a 10... oh how peculiar
08.05.2014 - 21:12
Dinruth
Written by Alex F on 07.05.2014 at 18:21

Edit2: The one guy that gave this a 1 also gave Insomnium a 10... oh how peculiar

that is pathetic
08.05.2014 - 21:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Goddammit I hate when people have different tastes than me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2014 - 22:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2014 at 21:49

Goddammit I hate when people have different tastes than me.

I very much dislike this album, so that statement is just silly. I was simply pointing out that the voter in question is most likely attempting to manipulate the "top of 2014" list to better suit his tastes.
08.05.2014 - 22:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Alex F on 08.05.2014 at 22:41
I very much dislike this album, so that statement is just silly. I was simply pointing out that the voter in question is most likely attempting to manipulate the "top of 2014" list to better suit his tastes.

If you looked at the rest of his votes you'd know that's clearly not the case. He's a generally positive voter with only three 1s in total. Just because someone gives this a 1 and a more popular/accessible album a 10 isn't really peculiar at all. It's only indicative that said voter's tastes differ from your own.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.05.2014 - 20:18
InnerSelf
proofread free
Anything that resembles Saturnus is fine by my book.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
11.05.2014 - 20:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
This is good. Crystal clear production, growls, layered guitars. I here some melody too. All "funeral doom" have melody?
----
rekt
11.05.2014 - 20:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
All music has melody even stuff such as brutal death metal op lo-fi bedroom black metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2014 - 23:02
Rating: 7
Nihil Aeternum
Sounds like Draconian (which I like a lot), but without Lisa and on tranquilizer.
15.05.2014 - 19:39
He's done a pretty nice job with the riffs.
17.05.2014 - 16:21
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 07.05.2014 at 16:23

Saturnus+Doom:VS ?

After quite a few listens I'd say this album mostly resembles Saturnus' modern sound (Saturn in Ascension), but you could call it a mix of Saturnus and Draconian. The "funeral doom" tag is very inaccurate in any case. This is melodic/gothic death doom, no funeral doom in here at all.
25.05.2014 - 23:29
Rating: 8
Himedal
I miss the melancholic sound of Aeterum Vale.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
28.05.2014 - 23:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I probably would have been excited about this a few years ago but my love of doom has dwindled immensely to the point I don't think I can summon the effort required to find a stream or download an album to see what it sounds like. That, and you kind of know what this is going to sound like before listening to it...
----
28.05.2014 - 23:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.05.2014 at 23:32

That, and you kind of know what this is going to sound like before listening to it...

Indeed. I don't even pretend I'm into this kind of thing any more. I use the time for other music instead. Same with 90% of funeral doom these days.
11.06.2014 - 11:44
Kraterr
Account deleted
I find my brain asking to listen to this album a lot more now than in the beginning, I seriously listen to the album ever two days or every day. I might even go on to liking this more than their debut in the future..

Great, Great! death doom from Doom:VS
11.06.2014 - 14:37
angel.
Evil Butterfly

I probably would have been excited about this a few years ago but my love of doom has dwindled immensely to the point I don't think I can summon the effort required to find a stream or download an album to see what it sounds like. That, and you kind of know what this is going to sound like before listening to it...

You mean that doom had become boring these days ? Or even old-fashioned ? Or there are much more interesting music ?
----
The Fangirl.
11.06.2014 - 15:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by angel. on 11.06.2014 at 14:37
You mean that doom had become boring these days ? Or there are much more interesting music ?

A mix of these. I feel like doom has become a lot like thrash in that it's essentially being recycled without enough variation to keep me interested. Unless it's drawing influence from other genres (like stoner metal or black metal for instance) there isn't a whole lot about it that makes me want to spend time listening to "new" doom releases.
----
10.07.2014 - 23:28
Erik M.

Searching for the album, which is on Bandcamp in its entirety, would've probably taken you less time than typing that message. And honestly, that last sentence is just nonsense. Fine by me if you dislike it, but now you're trying to give some sort of opinion before you even listened to a second of the album, which totally unfair (and ridiculous). At the very least, give the album one chance.
10.07.2014 - 23:28
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 28.05.2014 at 23:52

Indeed. I don't even pretend I'm into this kind of thing any more. I use the time for other music instead. Same with 90% of funeral doom these days.

This is by no means funeral doom. As I said earlier in this thread, it's melodic/gothic (death) doom and knowing your opinion on this subgenre I would guess that this isn't your cup of tea. And seeing as Alex already gave this a 6, you and mz might just follow his (bad) example.

Your loss really, because this album is awesome. Sure, it's not extreme by your standards, but so what? It's highly enjoyable to me. Plus the fact that Thomas from Saturnus is on here, which definitely improves the album since I love his vocals.
10.07.2014 - 23:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 10.07.2014 at 23:28

This is by no means funeral doom. As I said earlier in this thread, it's melodic/gothic (death) doom and knowing your opinion on this subgenre I would guess that this isn't your cup of tea. And seeing as Alex already gave this a 6, you and mz might just follow his (bad) example.

Your loss really, because this album is awesome. Sure, it's not extreme by your standards, but so what? It's highly enjoyable to me. Plus the fact that Thomas from Saturnus is on here, which definitely improves the album since I love his vocals.

"I don't even pretend I'm into this kind of thing any more" - "Same with 90% of funeral doom these days"

Notice how I was differentiating the two comments to reference two different kinds of music?

I don't care if this extreme or not. I just find the music incredibly boring. Certainly not missing out on this.
10.07.2014 - 23:35
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 10.07.2014 at 23:31

"I don't even pretend I'm into this kind of thing any more" - "Same with 90% of funeral doom these days"

Notice how I was differentiating the two comments to reference two different kinds of music?

I don't care if this extreme or not. I just find the music incredibly boring. Certainly not missing out on this.

Well, it came across as if you were implying this album is funeral doom. Why even bother mentioning it when you know this clearly isn't funeral doom?
10.07.2014 - 23:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 10.07.2014 at 23:35

Well, it came across as if you were implying this album is funeral doom. Why even bother mentioning it when you know this clearly isn't funeral doom?

"This kind of thing" referencing the type of music here - "same with..." another kind of music. I don't see how you could have mixed the two.

Funeral doom bores me in a similar manner, because they are loosely related in many ways.
10.07.2014 - 23:51
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 10.07.2014 at 23:37

"This kind of thing" referencing the type of music here - "same with..." another kind of music. I don't see how you could have mixed the two.

Funeral doom bores me in a similar manner, because they are loosely related in many ways.

(Trying to bluff your way out of it, eh? Alright)... just tell me one thing: have you actually listened to this? If not, how can you possibly say it's boring? Most of the time there's an exception to the rule.
10.07.2014 - 23:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 10.07.2014 at 23:51

(Trying to bluff your way out of it, eh? Alright)... just tell me one thing: have you actually listened to this? If not, how can you possibly say it's boring? Most of the time there's an exception to the rule.

I don't need to bluff my way out of correct use of the English language when the evidence is right there for people who actually understand it and bother to read what's presented. Nor do I need to bluff my way out of things pertaining to my own tastes

I tried a couple of songs and never looked back.
11.07.2014 - 00:00
Erik M.
Written by Guest on 10.07.2014 at 23:55

I don't need to bluff my way out of correct use of the English language when the evidence is right there for people who actually understand it and bother to read what's presented. Nor do I need to bluff my way out of things pertaining to my own tastes

I tried a couple of songs and never looked back.

Fine by me. What you said is open to interpretation to such an extent that it can imply what I think as well as what you think (and meant to say), so there's that. And no, of course you're entitled to dislike this, but because of how I interpreted what you said, I wasn't too sure whether you listened to the album or not.
11.07.2014 - 00:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 11.07.2014 at 00:00

Fine by me. What you said is open to interpretation to such an extent that it can imply what I think as well as what you think (and meant to say), so there's that. And no, of course you're entitled to dislike this, but because of how I interpreted what you said, I wasn't too sure whether you listened to the album or not.

It's only open to interpretation if you misunderstood it.

Hits total: 11444 | This month: 20