01. Go And Hope
02. Nothing But The Whole
03. Behind The Curtain
04. All Is Known
05. Tale Of A Burning Man
06. The Past Is Death
07. Lowland

Additional info
Recorded in 2013 at Blackout Studio, Belgium.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
There's been a lot of blackened death craziness being served up lately in our beloved metal genre. Within the past two years especially, it seems like the style has been seeing a return to form of sorts, with the likes of Bølzer, Teitanblood, Diocletian and others dishing out albums that are pleasantly old school, yet with a delicious modern twist. Of all these bands, however, it is probably Belgium's Emptiness who stand as the most immersing and emotive of them all. Their 2014 album encapsulates this idea perhaps better than ever before, and is nothing short of excellent.

Read more ››
published 18.06.2014 | Comments (43)

Found in 50 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 131   Visited by: 537 users
21.09.2015 - 02:21
Rating: 10
mz

I am more than convinced that this record is one of the best things recorded after 2010. Think that it is going to be regarded as one of the pillars of modern innovative metal in coming years.
I'm so glad I had found this.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.09.2015 - 21:34
Lit.
Account deleted
For a record so lauded, I completely forgot it existed until just this moment and haven't listened to for little over a year. Not a good sign.
21.09.2015 - 21:40
Zap
Really? I think I've listened to this one more than any other album released in the last 3-4 years. + seen most of it played live twice, soon to be three times, probably four.
21.09.2015 - 21:52
Rating: 9
Paz

Yeah, one of the best CDs I own.
21.09.2015 - 22:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.09.2015 at 21:34

For a record so lauded, I completely forgot it existed until just this moment and haven't listened to for little over a year. Not a good sign.

I do that to lots of great albums. It's not like one can easily remember everything worth listening to on a whim. It's nice to suddenly remember something great you forgot.
21.09.2015 - 23:04
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Totally unforgettable.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
22.09.2015 - 00:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 21.09.2015 at 02:21

I am more than convinced that this record is one of the best things recorded after 2010. Think that it is going to be regarded as one of the pillars of modern innovative metal in coming years.

I hope Chaos Echoes will be as well, but, alas, that seems a lot less likely
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.10.2015 - 21:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by mz on 21.11.2014 at 10:13

^more like the vocals of meads of asph on my ears.

Nahhh man, there's only one Metatron voice
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.10.2015 - 22:03
mz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.10.2015 at 21:46

Written by mz on 21.11.2014 at 10:13

^more like the vocals of meads of asph on my ears.

Nahhh man, there's only one Metatron voice

The fanboy is hitting back
----
25.10.2015 - 02:36
Zap
I don't hear a lot of Metatron or Attila here. Vocals sound more like a really loud whisper of death or something. (if that makes any sense)
25.10.2015 - 03:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't really register the vocals as a distinct sound on this one, though I can see what mz means if I actually listen to them. I mostly agree with Zaph though.
18.10.2016 - 20:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Such a damn adventurous record. I guess back when I listened to it when it was release I was too focused on brutal and aggressive music to be able to fully grasp this. This is definitely a very fun and surprising record. Lot of fucking cool passages, rhythms, grooves and whatnot. Peerless music indeed.
19.10.2016 - 01:20
mz

Fun? that is the last thing I call this record.
----
13.11.2016 - 08:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Only pretentious losers call this scary and terrifying. Indeed a totally a FUN record this one, just listen to the groovy riffs on the fourth track when the heavy part comes, such sexy stuff.
13.11.2016 - 10:45
mz

It's not scarry, but one of the best record to embody fraustation and emptiness. The most similar record in terms of mood would be lurker of chalice (mostly on the emptiness side of stuff)
----
13.11.2016 - 17:39
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Frustration - yeah agree quite a bit, they are frustrated with all the generic and repetitive bands that they've come up with something so fresh and unique. But have never felt empty or anything when listening to this like the LoC record. If it was empty, I would never be playing the fuck out of this like I'm doing now. Dayum, I am never content when this record ends, I just HAVE to listen from the start again. It's so damn addictive!
13.11.2016 - 19:47
Rating: 8
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by 3rdWorld on 13.11.2016 at 17:39

Dayum, I am never content when this record ends, I just HAVE to listen from the start again. It's so damn addictive!

It doesn't help that it ends in THAT way
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
23.11.2016 - 01:32
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.11.2016 at 20:25

The ending is indeed questionable. Not really annoying, just a bit pointless.

Everything is pointless in the end. There is only the emptiness of existence
23.11.2016 - 02:05
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2016 at 01:32

Written by Guest on 13.11.2016 at 20:25

The ending is indeed questionable. Not really annoying, just a bit pointless.

Everything is pointless in the end. There is only the emptiness of existence

30.11.2016 - 20:56
Zap
This album has changed how I listen to extreme metal. And that is one hell of a compliment to give an album.
05.12.2016 - 16:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
All Is Known & Tale of a Burning Man are both otherworldly cool. Hard to pick a favorite among the two, so they are kind of a 1-a/1-b favorite for me in this album.
05.12.2016 - 19:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 19.10.2016 at 01:20

Fun? that is the last thing I call this record.

Seconded. Immensely enjoyable but "fun" it is absolutely not.
16.12.2016 - 06:43
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I wouldn't say I'm currently in love with this album, but I got it recently and can't stop listening to it, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. My opinion may change in the future when I probably end up realizing that, yes, I do actually love this album.

I think my major complaint is that the last track starts off so damn good, then it keeps treading some fantastic ground before trailing off into boring territory near the end and then abruptly stopping. They could've built that song up into such an epic finisher if they kept pushing the ideas that were already there... instead they just sort of let it fade, and then *POOF* it's gone. So frustrating.
----
31.12.2016 - 15:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This album is nothing but FUN. Tracks 4 and 5 perfectly exemplify it for me. Bouncy, bassy and groovy stuff both those tracks. Maybe its a way of listening rather than the music but I only put on this record when I'm on a fun mood. Like I said earlier only pretentious people will say this is not fun.
31.12.2016 - 15:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretentious would be describing something in a way it is clearly not intended to be
31.12.2016 - 16:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Doesn't matter what the band intended it to be. This album is FUN. You might call the album anything thematically and lyrically but the end result is so good and an enjoyable listen it is nothing but fun. If you are trying hard to match your thoughts and mood to the album that would mean you are PRETENDING to be something which I'm not doing.
31.12.2016 - 16:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nah, just recognising musical elements and general cultural associations with the term "fun." Fun I would say is typically upbeat, happy or silly. This album is largely mid-paced, often quite atonal and filled with minor-chords, along with ghostly growls / murmurs. It's clearly not designed to be "fun" and I don't think saying that is pretentious in any way whatsoever.
31.12.2016 - 16:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Whilst sitting on a Darkthrone.
31.12.2016 - 16:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Now that is something that sounds pretentious.

Also, It doesn't necessarily have to be upbeat, happy or silly sounding to be fun. I've already said I don't care what the album is "designed to be". Exactly those musical elements you've pointed out make the listening experience so fresh and unique from the usual black/death records that it makes it ridiculously enjoyable, hence "fun". Maybe I might be misrepresenting my own experience with the word "fun" but I don't think I would call the experience anything else personally.
31.12.2016 - 16:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not saying you don't find it fun, but I am saying it's not pretentious that people naturally find this creepy, or dark, or unnerving when the sound and musical choices used pretty much gravitate towards those feelings for the average people that probably listens to this kind of metal / music.

Hits total: 13954 | This month: 39