Release date: May 2014

01. Melting Sun I: Azure Chimes
02. Melting Sun II: Cherry Quartz
03. Melting Sun III: Aquamarine Towers
04. Melting Sun IV: Jade Fields
05. Melting Sun V: Oneironaut
06. Melting Sun VI: Golden Mind
07. Melting Sun VII [artbook bonus]

Another semi-quasi-black metal band has taken all the "black" out of their music in favor of a relatively fresh and trendy, dare I say, "hipster" sound. Markus Siegenhort, aka Herbst, has fancied his band Lantlôs to contemporary and utopian heights. Provocative and emotive, Lantlôs show every sign of picking up the pieces after their surprising but drama-free divorce from Neige. Wanting to move on, there is no post-Neige hangover here, thank you very much.

Melting Sun pretty much will be a shock to anyone wanting anything resembling Lantlôs's last two releases, .neon and Agape. Those two albums are mighty fine examples of perfect crossbreeding between shoegazing and black metal. Although Neige was relegated to singing on those albums, his influence on the overall sound cannot go unnoticed. Alcest is the measuring stick every metalgaze band wants to size up and Lantlôs have established a demeanor refreshing to a scene fueled with a lack of diversity.

Right from the outset and through the end of this 40-minute spectacle, Melting Sun transits a perfect combination of concrete and aggressive song structures and dreamy, abstract climates. A virtual stockpile of charming and harmonious soft-metal moments, the ascendancy is a welcome change. The album delivers an effort of staggering thickness, savory sadness, and a wandering limitless acceptance. Like most dreampop and shoegaze music, there is a euphoric sense of buildup; the entire vibe of the album creates an almost plodding crescendo of the most overwhelming sense of anticipation.

To me, ever since Líam, Herbst has been a master of forging perfect guitar dispositions and textures. The massive wall of those layered guitar tones are the principal merits on this album. He just has a knack for combining melody and mesmeric moments of audio elation with ruthlessness and anguish. Heavily processed bass guitar, synthesizers, and drum work create a blissy, dreamlike, and majestic sonic template that's equally emotionally intense.

Now that Neige is gone, Herbst has taken over the vocal duties. Nothing special, his voice seems only to aid the darkening sound that somehow now seems to be made more brilliant and prismatic. Moreover, his voice eases along with beautiful melodies and gorgeous passages that collide gracefully with ambient chords and tremelo-picked noodling. Excessive use of reverb and echoey guitar lines allow the songs to vent celestial and spacey beams of light. All of these peripherals collectively are downright transcendent.

We may have to include this new era of Lantlôs under the umbrella of post-rock, and after listening to this incredible album I do not have any doubts Melting Sun will recruit new fans - or put off old ones. I, for one, love the entire package and applaud Herbst for taking a bit of a risk by creating an album under his own terms and conditions. I can't think of any more adjectives to describe this release, just go listen to it and enjoy.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 02.07.2014 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 291 users
02.07.2014 - 14:01
Schnabeltier 24

Wow, this sounds appealing ! Although I'm not really into that type of music, I'll check this out.
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
02.07.2014 - 15:47
mz

Despite the fact that I don't have interest in this type of metal, the review is tempting. Shall go for this one.
Very well written review, again
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
02.07.2014 - 17:01
Rating: 10
God Alone

Flawless album, top-notch songwriting. It's relatively short but not a second is wasted, not even in the beautiful instrumental, a perfect bridge between the catharsis of Jade Fields and the closer (reminds me of Cocteau Twins).
Vocals could be better but they fit pretty well the music - which rather relies on its shimmering textures.
Album of the year, for me. Proof that you can change your music without sounding like a watered-down version of yourself. Yes, Neige, I'm talking about you.
02.07.2014 - 17:09
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I don't share your enthusiasm on this album =P
----
loves 小巫
02.07.2014 - 18:50
Rating: 6
scaesura

I wanted to like this. The first half of Azure Chimes is just so good. The shame is, the rest of the album after those four minutes is just really, really boring.
02.07.2014 - 20:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Yeah, I have some really mixed emotions about this album. I do think it's pretty well written and really beautiful at points, but I'm still not really digging the whole "blackgaze" movement as a whole
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.07.2014 - 21:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.07.2014 at 20:49
Yeah, I have some really mixed emotions about this album. I do think it's pretty well written and really beautiful at points, but I'm still not really digging the whole "blackgaze" movement as a whole

But why would your view of a genre affect the view of one specific album?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.07.2014 - 21:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.07.2014 at 21:33

Think he just means he's not into blackgaze so his enjoyment of this is always going to be somewhat diminished.

I always found Lantlos a boring load of arse so I probably won't even check this out.
02.07.2014 - 21:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 02.07.2014 at 21:34
I always found Lantlos a boring load of arse so I probably won't even check this out.

In that case... I'll allow it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.07.2014 - 21:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.07.2014 at 21:36

I like the cover art though.
02.07.2014 - 21:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 02.07.2014 at 21:38

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.07.2014 at 21:36

I like the cover art though.

Yeah, the artwork is pretty awesome. I'd love to have that vinyl size. I heard some tracks a while ago and I remember liking it. It felt very solid and not at all as redundant as the sound from other bands.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.07.2014 - 22:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.07.2014 at 21:33

It was my way of saying that I don't generally enjoy blackgaze, but I am liking this specific album
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.07.2014 - 03:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

Don't you think the 'black' in this record is pretty much non-existent Che? I hear post rock with a huge dreampop and shoegaze backdrop.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 03:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

This is quite different than previous Lantlos efforts Joe, I bet you wouldn't like this at all...at least give it a try to confirm my intuition.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 03:47
Don't you think the 'black' in this record is pretty much non-existent Che? I hear post rock with a huge dreampop and shoegaze backdrop.

I'm with you on that one. There's hardly any metal elements to be found here - it's pretty much post-rock and shoegaze with a slightly metallic edge to it. Probably about 1% black metal. If you're not into the whole blackgaze thing that's fine since it won't have any impact on your opinion of this album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.07.2014 - 04:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2014 at 04:03

I'm with you on that one.

Yea Troy I just don't see it. I am hoping that metal fans won't get scared to give this a try. I mean the layered guitars are so gorgeous sounding and crushing.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:13
Ilham
Giant robot

Surprised by the extent of your laziness. Weird, could have sworn you'd love it. I did.
03.07.2014 - 04:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think this is as good a site as any for this kind of album to receive positive attention, although it might still do relatively poorly considering the general reaction to the latest Alcest release. Personally I'm not a fan of either, but people who appreciate either post-rock or shoegaze will likely find something to like about this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.07.2014 - 04:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ilham on 03.07.2014 at 04:13

Surprised by the extent of your laziness. Weird, could have sworn you'd love it. I did.

I don't think he digs anything in the shoegaze/dreampop genre...I'm trying to remember....oh he may like early Alcest.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:25
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 04:17
I don't think he digs anything in the shoegaze/dreampop genre...I'm trying to remember....oh he may like early Alcest.

He'll tell us himself.
I personally liked this, first encounter with Lantlôs. I like some dreampop here and there, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the genre. And Alcest really pisses me off now. I'm full of contradictions.
03.07.2014 - 04:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ilham on 03.07.2014 at 04:25

I personally liked this, first encounter with Lantlôs. I like some dreampop here and there, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the genre. And Alcest really pisses me off now. I'm full of contradictions.

Glad you dig it. It's a heavier type of dreampop, the production is perfect.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:34
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 04:29

Glad you dig it. It's a heavier type of dreampop, the production is perfect.

That is why I do. No whimsical high-pitched female vocals either, which is a huge plus.
03.07.2014 - 04:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ilham on 03.07.2014 at 04:34

No whimsical high-pitched female vocals either, which is a huge plus.

Lol, but sometimes I need whimsical high-pitched female voice...like....ummm... that girl from Flyleaf. I am Jay btw, pleasure to meet you, don't think we've ever "talked".
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 03:47

Well giving it another spin, you're probably right, but then I admittedly haven't listened to that much of the style anyway, so I can't say I'm entirely sure whether or not the majority of other bands sound something like this, or employ more BM in their mix.
----

~ II. VII
03.07.2014 - 04:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.07.2014 at 04:44

so I can't say I'm entirely sure whether or not the majority of other bands sound something like this, or employ more BM in their mix.

I would say the VAST majority of blackgaze don't sound like this. Deafheaven, Krallice, AAFCT and Altar Of Plagues have very noticable black metal elements in their sound. Give this one a few spins Che, if I had to pick an AOTY for the first half of '14, this would be it.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 04:50
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 04:40

Lol, but sometimes I need whimsical high-pitched female voice...like....ummm... that girl from Flyleaf. I am Jay btw, pleasure to meet you, don't think we've ever "talked".

I was thinking about something similar to the in girl Amesoeurs actually. I have no idea if she's a regular though. I find the Flyleaf girl just as annoying. The only thing I can picture when listening to vocals like that is a Kenzo perfume TV ad. I mean, the vocals, just the vocals.

Hi Jay, I'm Ilham, I L H A M, as in "ill" and "ham". Enchantée, indeed we have never had the pleasure of discoursing.
03.07.2014 - 04:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ilham on 03.07.2014 at 04:50

I was thinking about something similar to the in girl Amesoeurs actually. I have no idea if she's a regular though. I find the Flyleaf girl just as annoying. The only thing I can picture when listening to vocals like that is a Kenzo perfume TV ad. I mean, the vocals, just the vocals.

Hi Jay, I'm Ilham, I L H A M, as in "ill" and "ham". Enchantée, indeed we have never had the pleasure of discoursing.

I actually like the girl's voice from the Dum Dum Girls, heard of them? It's amazing how vocals can be the deal breaker when listening to music. I find that most of the post-hardcore I try gets a neg because of those dam kiddy-vocals.

I've seen you around the MS Park hootin' and a hollerin' but never had the balls to stop by....I finally grew a pair... lol
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 05:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 04:55
I actually like the girl's voice from the Dum Dum Girls, heard of them? It's amazing how vocals can be the deal breaker when listening to music. I find that most of the post-hardcore I try gets a neg because of those dam kiddy-vocals.

I've seen you around the MS Park hootin' and a hollerin' but never had the balls to stop by....I finally grew a pair... lol

Same here. I usually have a huge problem with female vocals in metal and rock. And I know the Dum Dum Girls, very catchy tunes! She has the kind of voice I like, and can tolerate for a whole album. Garbage girl does it the way I like it too.

I've read a couple of your reviews and seen you around. I do abuse the shoutbox if that's what you're referring to . But there is no need to have balls to talk to me, look at the sad sods I associate with.

Anyway. To legitimize the off-topicness: the whispery childish whimsical female singing in post-rock/dreampop/post-whatever is usually what keeps me from enjoying the rest of the music. I often try to look for bands that do it instrumental only, but it's too much of a hassle. If you have any names...
03.07.2014 - 05:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ilham on 03.07.2014 at 05:17

Garbage girl does it the way I like it too.

I often try to look for bands that do it instrumental only, but it's too much of a hassle. If you have any names...

Yes, Garbage Version 2.0 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Shirley Manson can flat-out sing.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem because A) post-whatever albums genrally don't have a lot of singing on them anyways and B) I know you are a hard worker, so take some time someday and check out my user lists. Plenty of good stuff to go around.
----
rekt
03.07.2014 - 05:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2014 at 05:26

Yes, Garbage Version 2.0 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Shirley Manson can flat-out sing.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem because A) post-whatever albums genrally don't have a lot of singing on them anyways and B) I know you are a hard worker, so take some time someday and check out my user lists. Plenty of good stuff to go around.

Why does it have to be guilty?

Well that's the thing. I have a lot to do. I took a six year break in all things that could be affiliated to metal. Around the time Alcest became big for example. Will do, bookmarked the post/blablabla one.

Hits total: 21015 | This month: 10