Metal Storm logo
Bemused Dreamscapes And Ponderous Journeys - A List Of Albums For Adventure And Escapism

The following is a list of favorites that will steal your mind from this mortal realm; albums that will take you on an indelible journey.

Created by: V01d | 15.08.2014

1. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
It's like spelunking. With Satan.
2. Agalloch - The Mantle
Behold the panoramic vistas of the Cascadian forests on a rainy day
3. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
Afloat on a piece of driftwood from your sunken vessel, a leviathan welcomes you from the deeps
4. Alcest - Écailles De Lune
Prepare to be whisked away to a magickal realm, beyond all pain and suffering..
5. Arkona - Гой, Роде, Гой!
Ready your sword and conquer your enemies as you travel with your fellow countrymen to faraway lands
6. The Axis of Perdition - Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital
Revel in horror as this hellish asylum peels away your last trace of sanity
7. Blut Aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification
A most ethereal odyssey to discard the gilded adornments of indoctrination
8. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Travel snow entrenched paths of forgotten beauty, but beware of the light, it may take you away
9. Carpe Noctem - In Terra Profugus
Explore the inner sanctums of your cavernous soul, a tumultuous journey for the extrovert
10. Darkspace - Dark Space III
Sucked into the vacuum of outer space, you gasp for air in the most hostile of environments
11. Elend - A World In Their Screams
A neoclassical monument to all of your fears
12. Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
A harrowing journey only for the adept, explore the ruins of a lost civilization
13. Enshine - Origin
A safer journey to the stars, you discover that your mind is just as vast as the boundless void of outer space
14. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Fall into a dizzying, yet mind altering abyss
15. Evilfeast - Wintermoon Enchantment
Knee deep in a snow covered forest, the moonlight guides your way
16. Evoken - Antithesis Of Light
Take a one way trip into the Abyss; only soul crushing despair awaits you, as the light mocks you from above
17. Gnaw Their Tongues - All The Dread Magnificence Of Perversity
It's going to be ok. Everything is all better now.
18. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
The glare of Mighty Ravendark will freeze the blood in your veins as you battle towards the heart of winter
19. Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
A spine chilling display, wresting away your sanity
20. Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
As the bonfire crackles and spurts, you recount the tale of your adventure through the treacherous mountains
21. Mournful Congregation - The Book Of Kings
Journey inward as the lingering burdens of sorrow force you to travel at a snail's pace.
22. Negură Bunget - OM
Confront the spectres and myths of Transylvania as you are spirited away to the surrounding forests
23. Nortt - Ligfærd
You wander as a tormented spirit in restless agony, cursed to an eternity of solitude
24. The Ruins Of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure
Will take you to a barren valley that is enduring a perpetual tempest
25. Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress
As you begin the funeral procession for your lost love, you grieve for one you shall never see again
26. Slumber - Fallout
Take a soothing journey of the imagination as you ponder the beauty of the dreamworld
27. Sunn O))) - Black One
Locked in a coffin, you are slowly lowered into the earth....seconds seem like hours as the last gasps of air slip away..
28. Thy Light - No Morrow Shall Dawn
Dusk greets you as you prepare to explore the afterlife, never to see the sun again
29. Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows
Hear the caterwauling of an ancient breeze that sweeps through a now dying forest
30. Wolves In The Throne Room - Diadem Of 12 Stars
Revisit the Cascadian forests in the midst of a deluge, though rays of light can be seen
31. Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide
The journey is over and nothing is gained. All that remains is a derelict husk of this wasteful life...

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by V01d ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 64   Visited by: 123 users
17.08.2014 - 21:23
Ilham
Giant robot
This list is not ice-cold, but it's cool enough.
17.08.2014 - 22:55
mz

I dislike some of these, but those ones which I like are enough to give a thumbs up.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
17.08.2014 - 23:14
V01d

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. Looking to get into the more cerebral/dark ambient/noise type stuff like Gnaw Their Tongues and The Axis Of Perdition.
17.08.2014 - 23:55
mz

Written by V01d on 17.08.2014 at 23:14

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. Looking to get into the more cerebral/dark ambient/noise type stuff like Gnaw Their Tongues and The Axis Of Perdition.

Maybe you could go for Nahvalr. Also, if you are not familiar with the other projects of the guy behing Gnaw Their Tongues, be sure to check Cloack of Altering, De Magia Veterum and especially aderlating, which is even more hellish than GTT. Moreover, you can try also Skáphe. Not sure if it's what you are looking for but give it a try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZGji3AYufo
http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/sk-phe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs2C4WMcaU
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.08.2014 - 00:54
V01d

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you could go for Nahvalr. Also, if you are not familiar with the other projects of the guy behing Gnaw Their Tongues, be sure to check Cloack of Altering, De Magia Veterum and especially aderlating, which is even more hellish than GTT. Moreover, you can try also Skáphe. Not sure if it's what you are looking for but give it a try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZGji3AYufo
http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/sk-phe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs2C4WMcaU

Right on. Thank you for the links and recommendations, I checked them out and yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Especially Aderlating, great stuff!
Malvoisie is another great band that makes some pretty messed up stuff as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5rIJv_Wr2c
18.08.2014 - 01:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS NEED EARTH.

18.08.2014 - 01:23
V01d

Written by Guest on 18.08.2014 at 01:02

Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS NEED EARTH.

I second Earth.
21.08.2014 - 20:40
CyberSymphony
Ollie
GOod list, lots of great albums I like here. Maybe you'll find some albums on my list here you might like:
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3101
24.08.2014 - 00:57
Erik M.

Great list and I like the descriptions you added as well. Nicely done.

Having heard most albums on here, I can only say I agree with their inclusion. However, for Evoken I highly prefer Quietus (masterpiece) and for Shape of Despair I'd go for the debut (much better than AoD in my opinion).
24.08.2014 - 01:17
V01d

Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 00:57

Great list and I like the descriptions you added as well. Nicely done.

Having heard most albums on here, I can only say I agree with their inclusion. However, for Evoken I highly prefer Quietus (masterpiece) and for Shape of Despair I'd go for the debut (much better than AoD in my opinion).

Thank you very much, man! I agree with you concerning Evoken, however, Antithesis was my first experience with them and funeral/death/doom in general, so I have strong sentiments regarding Antithesis, although I find Quietus to be a better album altogether. As for Shape of Despair, I haven't heard their debut; many seem to prefer it over Angels of Distress, so I will definitely check it out.
24.08.2014 - 01:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
What about more soothing/ light atmospheres on black or extreme metal such as on that Moonsorrow release? Are you gonna add more stuff on that line? I'd like to know more recs like that.
I know of Sleeping Peonies' Ghost and Other Things or Germ's Wish. But not many others
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 01:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 24.08.2014 at 01:24

I know of Sleeping Peonies' Ghost and Other Things or Germ's Wish. But not many others

Clair Cassis, later Velvet Cacoon perhaps?
24.08.2014 - 01:33
V01d

Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 01:29

Admittedly, I don't know many bands in that area either. I've yet to check out any Velvet Cacoon, though I've heard good things.
24.08.2014 - 01:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 01:33

Admittedly, I don't know many bands in that area either. I've yet to check out any Velvet Cacoon, though I've heard good things.

Velvet Cacoon are bit of a love it or hate it band (as you can probably tell by the ratings on MS). I'm probably their biggest fan here though. Never heard anything quite like them, though their history and fictitious background is definitely part of their appeal.
24.08.2014 - 01:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 01:29

Th'yre good. But not exactly relaxing. At least not as Sleeping Peonies, Germ or that 2 track Moonsorrow album. But I guess it's kind of a relative concept hehe
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 01:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
They're*
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 01:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 24.08.2014 at 01:37

They're*

For me they're just the right amount of shoepop / dreamgaze without being cheesy or effusive =p
24.08.2014 - 01:42
V01d

Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 01:36

Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 01:33

Velvet Cacoon are bit of a love it or hate it band (as you can probably tell by the ratings on MS). I'm probably their biggest fan here though. Never heard anything quite like them, though their history and fictitious background is definitely part of their appeal.

I never usually pay attention to an album's score, as I don't feel that an album's worth can be so ham-fistedly quantifiable. If you enjoy them, that is good enough for me to want to check them out. Where do you think would be a good place to start?
24.08.2014 - 01:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 01:36

though their history and fictitious background is definitely part of their appeal.

Indeed

Soundwise, I prefer Clair Cassis though. Too bad it seems they split up.
Which could be a good thing too, because good bands splitting up often mean the start fo other good side projects... I hope
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 01:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 01:42

I never usually pay attention to an album's score, as I don't feel that an album's worth can be so ham-fistedly quantifiable. If you enjoy them, that is good enough for me to want to check them out. Where do you think would be a good place to start?

Genevieve is probably their most representative work. I'm not too fond of the overlong ambient track (or their fully ambient album Atropine, for some reason. I'm not a fan of their take on ambient I guess) but the rest of it is fantastic ambient black metal. Really hypnotic.

P aa Opal Poere Pr. 33 is a nice mix of black metal, shoegaze / dreampop, which they eventually carried on with Clair Cassis.
24.08.2014 - 01:50
Ilham
Giant robot
I think what you need, and would be my #1 if I ever made a list like this one, is Elend - A World In Their Screams. It's a neoclassical concept album that describes the (allegoric) downfall of mankind and their torment in a post-apocalyptic world. The poems around which the music is structured are some of the best I have ever come across. But they're in French. I would write a couple more sentences, but it's really the kind of journey you have to take alone. Also, take Lucas' review with a pinch of salt, he rated it lower just to spite me, I'm sure.
24.08.2014 - 01:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This / that ^
24.08.2014 - 01:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yeah, for must have albums which I think you'll like (if you haven't already heard) the albums by Lurker of Chalice and Murmuüre need to be mentioned. Safe to say they're quite worshipped here as you'll be able to tell if you visit the album threads on here.
24.08.2014 - 02:04
Ilham
Giant robot
I say yay in favour of Lurker Of Chalice.
Aren't we cute, seconding each other's recommendations?
24.08.2014 - 02:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
We are the embodiment of adorable.
24.08.2014 - 02:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I guess another two that I feel would add to this affair would be Wyrd's 'Huldrafolk' and Nagelfar's 'Hünengrab Im Herbst' (Nagelfar being the first band of Alexander von Meilenwald before forming The Ruins of Beverast).
24.08.2014 - 02:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
No one mentioned Terra Tenebrosa or Portal yet?
Also if you like stuff such as Moonsorrow or Arkona peraps you'd like the Caladan Brood release (then a flow of massive hate comes from the other users upon me)
Plus, Blood Of Kingu's album which I forgot the name but I remember having the words "sun", "house" and "scorpion" on it is pretty good.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 02:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

Just add it don't question me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.08.2014 - 02:28
V01d

Responding to everyone here, thank you all for the recs. I love Elend, great neoclassical project, as well as Lurker of Chalice. This list is composed only of albums that I physically own, but I can add to it for the continuity of the "journey" concept. Still trying to get my hands on a new copy of Lurker of Challice, still seems impossible. Nagelfar is also an awesome band, that is how I came to know The Ruins of Beverast. Karlabos, I hate just about every folk/pagan/viking/bagpipe/yo-ho/pirate metal band in existence, save for Bathory, Moonsorrow, and that one album by Arkona
24.08.2014 - 02:33
V01d

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.08.2014 at 02:21

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

Just add it don't question me.

That will be $25.

Hits total: 4412 | This month: 16