Metal Storm logo
Bemused Dreamscapes And Ponderous Journeys - A List Of Albums For Adventure And Escapism

The following is a list of favorites that will steal your mind from this mortal realm; albums that will take you on an indelible journey.

Created by: V01d | 15.08.2014

1. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
It's like spelunking. With Satan.
2. Agalloch - The Mantle
Behold the panoramic vistas of the Cascadian forests on a rainy day
3. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
Afloat on a piece of driftwood from your sunken vessel, a leviathan welcomes you from the deeps
4. Alcest - Écailles De Lune
Prepare to be whisked away to a magickal realm, beyond all pain and suffering..
5. Arkona - Гой, Роде, Гой!
Ready your sword and conquer your enemies as you travel with your fellow countrymen to faraway lands
6. The Axis of Perdition - Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital
Revel in horror as this hellish asylum peels away your last trace of sanity
7. Blut Aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification
A most ethereal odyssey to discard the gilded adornments of indoctrination
8. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Travel snow entrenched paths of forgotten beauty, but beware of the light, it may take you away
9. Carpe Noctem - In Terra Profugus
Explore the inner sanctums of your cavernous soul, a tumultuous journey for the extrovert
10. Darkspace - Dark Space III
Sucked into the vacuum of outer space, you gasp for air in the most hostile of environments
11. Elend - A World In Their Screams
A neoclassical monument to all of your fears
12. Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
A harrowing journey only for the adept, explore the ruins of a lost civilization
13. Enshine - Origin
A safer journey to the stars, you discover that your mind is just as vast as the boundless void of outer space
14. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Fall into a dizzying, yet mind altering abyss
15. Evilfeast - Wintermoon Enchantment
Knee deep in a snow covered forest, the moonlight guides your way
16. Evoken - Antithesis Of Light
Take a one way trip into the Abyss; only soul crushing despair awaits you, as the light mocks you from above
17. Gnaw Their Tongues - All The Dread Magnificence Of Perversity
It's going to be ok. Everything is all better now.
18. Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
The glare of Mighty Ravendark will freeze the blood in your veins as you battle towards the heart of winter
19. Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
A spine chilling display, wresting away your sanity
20. Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
As the bonfire crackles and spurts, you recount the tale of your adventure through the treacherous mountains
21. Mournful Congregation - The Book Of Kings
Journey inward as the lingering burdens of sorrow force you to travel at a snail's pace.
22. Negură Bunget - OM
Confront the spectres and myths of Transylvania as you are spirited away to the surrounding forests
23. Nortt - Ligfærd
You wander as a tormented spirit in restless agony, cursed to an eternity of solitude
24. The Ruins Of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure
Will take you to a barren valley that is enduring a perpetual tempest
25. Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress
As you begin the funeral procession for your lost love, you grieve for one you shall never see again
26. Slumber - Fallout
Take a soothing journey of the imagination as you ponder the beauty of the dreamworld
27. Sunn O))) - Black One
Locked in a coffin, you are slowly lowered into the earth....seconds seem like hours as the last gasps of air slip away..
28. Thy Light - No Morrow Shall Dawn
Dusk greets you as you prepare to explore the afterlife, never to see the sun again
29. Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows
Hear the caterwauling of an ancient breeze that sweeps through a now dying forest
30. Wolves In The Throne Room - Diadem Of 12 Stars
Revisit the Cascadian forests in the midst of a deluge, though rays of light can be seen
31. Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide
The journey is over and nothing is gained. All that remains is a derelict husk of this wasteful life...

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by V01d ]

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 64   Visited by: 123 users
24.08.2014 - 02:50
Lit.
Account deleted
So... did you ever get around to listening to Earth yet?
24.08.2014 - 02:52
V01d
Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 02:50

>_>
24.08.2014 - 02:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 24.08.2014 at 02:50

Dude... He's the one who quoted you.. Seconding the release...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 03:14
Ilham
Giant robot
I think we like you, V01d. And when I like someone, I spam them.

Also, I might be very far off. But I have another suggestion. I might be taking the word "journey" too literally with this one, and it'll look odd in your list. But what the hell, I'll take any excuse to talk about this album. Kyuss - Kyuss, since the day I discovered it, I am positive I haven't been on any roadtrip, or just any trip, that didn't involve listening to this album.
24.08.2014 - 03:26
V01d
Written by Ilham on 24.08.2014 at 03:14

I think we like you, V01d. And when I like someone, I spam them.

Also, I might be very far off. But I have another suggestion. I might be taking the word "journey" too literally with this one, and it'll look odd in your list. But what the hell, I'll take any excuse to talk about this album. Kyuss - Kyuss, since the day I discovered it, I am positive I haven't been on any roadtrip, or just any trip, that didn't involve listening to this album.

LOL. All da luv. Kyuss I shall definitely listen to, as I frequent the stoner genre from time to time.
24.08.2014 - 03:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 03:26
LOL. All da luv. Kyuss I shall definitely listen to, as I frequent the stoner genre from time to time.

In that case you should also check out Ethereal Riffian. Mastodon's Crack the Skye would be fitting here as well.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.08.2014 - 03:46
Ilham
Giant robot
Say no to Troy's recommendations or he's going to tell you to add every stoner album he's ever listened to. And he'll pretext something like '"ya it's a psychedelic journey blahblah 420 [10] blazeit".
24.08.2014 - 04:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Just for that I'm going to recommend some non-stoner albums. >>

Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields
A Forest of Stars - The Corpse of Rebirth
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Gris - Il était une forêt...
Mourning Dawn - Les sacrifiés
The Ocean - Pelagial
Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites

Have fun.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.08.2014 - 04:27
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I second Rosetta and A Forest Of Stars.
You should also check all the Forest Of Stars releases and also the upcoming one
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.08.2014 - 04:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Wow Karly give the guy a minute he didn't even respond to my post yet jeeze.
----
24.08.2014 - 04:39
Ilham
Giant robot
MSers be like

24.08.2014 - 05:48
V01d
Written by Ilham on 24.08.2014 at 04:39

MSers be like

I'll just listen to everything ever.
24.08.2014 - 07:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 05:48

I'll just listen to everything ever.

Don't try it. I made that mistake with my Epics list and look at it now.
24.08.2014 - 21:04
Erik M.
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 01:17

Thank you very much, man! I agree with you concerning Evoken, however, Antithesis was my first experience with them and funeral/death/doom in general, so I have strong sentiments regarding Antithesis, although I find Quietus to be a better album altogether. As for Shape of Despair, I haven't heard their debut; many seem to prefer it over Angels of Distress, so I will definitely check it out.

Antithesis of Light is certainly an excellent album, but for me Quietus was my first real experience with them (I checked out the debut once before that, but never revisited it) and I think it's a masterpiece (best funeral/death doom album ever made).

About Shape of Despair, I always get the impression people seem to prefer AoD to theit debut. The debut is far more consistent; all 5 songs are awesome. In case of AoD, the first and last song are pretty boring and seem more like an intro for the second song and outro for the 4th song. It's a very good album, but nothing amazing (which the debut is).
24.08.2014 - 21:04
Erik M.
Written by Karlabos on 24.08.2014 at 01:37

They're*

You do know you can actually edit your own messages, right?
24.08.2014 - 21:09
Erik M.
Written by Ilham on 24.08.2014 at 01:50

Also, take Lucas' review with a pinch of salt, he rated it lower just to spite me, I'm sure.

So you already knew Lucas in 2007?

Btw, I only listened to Winds Devouring Men, which is good, but I wouldn't call it anything amazing. How do Elend's other albums compare to that one? If they're comparable (in terms of quality and style) I'm probably not going to bother checking out their other albums.
24.08.2014 - 21:27
Erik M.
Written by V01d on 24.08.2014 at 02:28

I hate just about every folk/pagan/viking/bagpipe/yo-ho/pirate metal band in existence, save for Bathory, Moonsorrow, and that one album by Arkona

I'm not a fan of that style either, but there's definitely some stuff I enjoy. The best band with this style I've come across is Windir I'd say. All of their stuff is absolutely amazing. Either pick one of the the last three albums to start off with. It's black metal with folk elements rather than folk metal with BM elements (the former is definitely more to my liking and to yours as well I'd assume).

Other suggestions:
Empyrium - A Wintersunset... (symphonic folk doom)
Desire - Locus Horrendus - The Night Cries of a Sullen Soul... (atmospheric gothic/death/doom)
Uaral - Sounds of Pain (folk doom)
Vordven - Towards the Frozen Stream (atmospheric/melodic black)

Well, those are albums with amazing atmospheres that I've given 10/10 ratings. If you want more suggestions then tell me what kind of music you're looking for (genre).
24.08.2014 - 21:28
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 21:09

So you already knew Lucas in 2007?

Btw, I only listened to Winds Devouring Men, which is good, but I wouldn't call it anything amazing. How do Elend's other albums compare to that one? If they're comparable (in terms of quality and style) I'm probably not going to bother checking out their other albums.

Yeah I did. I haven't been around much after ''09 though, but I was a regular during '06/'07/'08.

A World In their Screams is the one I love the most. I have so much love for that album that I almost never listen to the other Elend albums. In my opinion, they are very different. This one is the most violent, tortured and depressing. This album also contains the scariest "song" (more like piece of orchestral music, song makes it sound too trivial) I have ever heard in my life. Well I did get a good scare during a Messiaen organ concert in a cathedral with the lights out, but nevermind. The other albums are more ambient, and put less emphasis on the poems and brass instruments. It's the end of a trilogy, that focuses on that post-apocalyptic theme in those poems I was talking about. Also it's their last album. Kinda makes it even more special.
I am in the middle of translating those poems, I could send you a copy.

All in all, you haven't heard Elend if you haven't heard this one, in my opinion.
24.08.2014 - 21:40
mz
Written by Karlabos on 24.08.2014 at 02:18

No one mentioned Terra Tenebrosa or Portal yet?
Also if you like stuff such as Moonsorrow or Arkona peraps you'd like the Caladan Brood release

Bitch don't you be mentioning CB along with portal and Terra Tenebrosa =p
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
24.08.2014 - 21:43
mz
I think you need to check this list if you haven't already. Most things I can think of are mentioned in it.
----
24.08.2014 - 22:01
Erik M.
Written by mz on 24.08.2014 at 21:40

Bashing CB was lame and unjustified from the get-go and it's even more lame now.
24.08.2014 - 22:04
Erik M.
Written by Ilham on 24.08.2014 at 21:28

Yeah I did. I haven't been around much after ''09 though, but I was a regular during '06/'07/'08.

A World In their Screams is the one I love the most. I have so much love for that album that I almost never listen to the other Elend albums. In my opinion, they are very different. This one is the most violent, tortured and depressing. This album also contains the scariest "song" (more like piece of orchestral music, song makes it sound too trivial) I have ever heard in my life. Well I did get a good scare during a Messiaen organ concert in a cathedral with the lights out, but nevermind. The other albums are more ambient, and put less emphasis on the poems and brass instruments. It's the end of a trilogy, that focuses on that post-apocalyptic theme in those poems I was talking about. Also it's their last album. Kinda makes it even more special.
I am in the middle of translating those poems, I could send you a copy.

All in all, you haven't heard Elend if you haven't heard this one, in my opinion.

Ah I see. I've only been very active here since 2012 while before that I only used MS to rate stuff.

What you say about the album definitely makes me interested in it. Will surely check it out, so thanks. Oh, and yeah, if you're done translating, send me a copy via a PM (MS), if that's possible.
24.08.2014 - 22:07
mz
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 22:01

Written by mz on 24.08.2014 at 21:40

Bashing CB was lame and unjustified from the get-go and it's even more lame now.

A lame copy of another band that I actually hate. Why it's unjustified to bash CB?
----
24.08.2014 - 22:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by mz on 24.08.2014 at 22:07
Why it's unjustified to bash CB?

Because this is Metal Storm. You should know better than to say something negative about a popular band here - it rustles the jimmies of fanboys.
----
24.08.2014 - 22:38
Erik M.
Written by mz on 24.08.2014 at 22:07

A lame copy of another band that I actually hate. Why it's unjustified to bash CB?

Because many bands are copying other bands or are similar to those bands. But when Caladan Brood does it lots of people all of a sudden take issue with that fact. On top of that, they even openly stated many times they worship Summoning, as well as doing multiple Summoning covers. They even said that without Summoning they wouldn't exist. Also, which bands nowadays are similar to Summoning and CB? I can't think of any to be honest. When looking at other genres, say melodic death metal, there are a ton of similar bands releasing albums nowadays. I don't see people saying the same things about those bands, yet in case of CB they do. When you look at it from an originality point of view, they're far more original than most other bands, whether you like them or not, since very few bands play a similar style.
24.08.2014 - 22:48
mz
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2014 at 22:38

Because many bands are copying other bands or are similar to those bands. But when Caladan Brood does it lots of people all of a sudden take issue with that fact. On top of that, they even openly stated many times they worship Summoning, as well as doing multiple Summoning covers. They even said that without Summoning they wouldn't exist. Also, which bands nowadays are similar to Summoning and CB? I can't think of any to be honest. When looking at other genres, say melodic death metal, there are a ton of similar bands releasing albums nowadays. I don't see people saying the same things about those bands, yet in case of CB they do. When you look at it from an originality point of view, they're far more original than most other bands, whether you like them or not, since very few bands play a similar style.

I don't care much about the originality here. CB is copying summoning's sound, which I hate. It means that I will also hate CB's sound. Simple as that. From subjective point of view, CB's sound is pure shit on my ears.
Now, if you want to continue this discussion, quote me in CB's page instead of here.
----
24.08.2014 - 22:57
Erik M.
Written by mz on 24.08.2014 at 22:48

I don't care much about the originality here. CB is copying summoning's sound, which I hate. It means that I will also hate CB's sound. Simple as that. From subjective point of view, CB's sound is pure shit on my ears.
Now, if you want to continue this discussion, quote me in CB's page instead of here.

Funnily there are actually people who enjoy Summoning and not CB and vice versa, but most people like or dislike both, that's true. Not going to continue the discussion. No need for that since you have made clear that you hate these bands, so there's not much to discuss. I only wanted to make clear it's lame (and unjustified, in my opinion) to bash a band simply because they sound similar to another band as there are many bands that sound similar to others.
27.08.2014 - 11:56
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
+1 for the Moonsorrow album. Great list.
27.08.2014 - 20:18
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I believe that Antithesis of Light is the best from Evoken. Crushing is the right word for that wonderful album.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
28.08.2014 - 00:30
mz
I think you also will love The Angelic Process, Wormphlegm, Hjarnidaudi, Wormlust, N.K.V.D and mid era Shining.
Edit: I forgot that I had linked Alex's list. They are on that so ignore my comment.
----

Hits total: 4434 | This month: 20